Things one misses from the original game

There's some things I feel a bit of nostalgia for that I miss but don't miss.  Like Stamina at 20.  Unlocking it always felt good.  Once you had it you knew things would be a smoother experience from then on.  It was a good feeling.  But I really would not miss the 19 levels before that.  Not.  One.  Bit.  Same with travel powers at 14, DOs at 12, SOs at 22, and so on.  The breakpoints were nice but the prior experience was miserable.  Sometimes it made for good stories, like everyone's shared Hollows adventures.  Telling the whippersnappers who won't get off my lawn about how I got stuck in the crater of the Hollows with no way to safely escape until I discovered a "Pocket D VIP Pass" in my powers list, used it, and then safely got lost in the Tiki Lounge and Pocket D for half an hour until I stumbled into Talos Island makes for a fun story, sure.  But it ain't a story I'd want to relive either.

Or another in that vein:  veteran rewards.  Used to look forward to them and such so much and was always excited to get something new.  But, in hindsight?  CoH's monetary model definitely wasn't the greatest, especially when "Freedom" reared its ugly head.  Eesh.

For things I actually do miss? 

-I wish the game didn't actively try to hide a lot of old content these days.  Yeah, a bunch of it is bad, but, you know, options.  Sometimes I don't want to bypass the lowbie levels but also not replay the same new KR Skulls storyline.  I know how to get to the other contacts, but I wish I didn't have to go out of my way for 'em.

-High level balance, or the lack thereof.  Fully kitted IO builds were one thing back in the day.  But back then people weren't super charging their attacks by proc muling them all, so it mostly just meant the Blaster didn't splat as much because he had a lot of defense.  But these days, it feels like once you get into the higher level content it's basically just a rolling Judgement nuke fest for most PUGs with difficulty set to 0 or even -1.  If it is +4, then people are exclusively targetting massive threats like... radio mission Council.  I know I can just make my own teams with my own stipulations, and really ought to just do that, but I wish I could just join random high level PUGs and actually expect to need to pay attention.

-The lack of the Alpha level shift.  I want my +4 to actually be +4 again, thanks.  Incarnate content is, funny enough, worse.  The non-Trial content that should be harder and actually require the level and incarnate shifts is just straight up easier.  But yeah, kinda stinks that once you upgrade the Alpha you're forced to add +1 to your difficulty, or permanently have an easier game if you're already at +4, for no real reason.

-Galaxy City.  Okay, I almost never used it, but it was nice when I wanted to lowbie away from the crowds!

-Offensive toggles shutting off on target death.  I know a lot, maybe even most, prefer the new system.  But the old system meant there was one less thing to keep up with since the toggles would drop automatically once the toughest dude was down and I wouldn't get caught at the next spawn with my toggles still running on a corpse somewhere behind me.

Sorry if that comes off a bit complainy or whiney.  But, aside from the generic "Miss the people I used to play with" type of deal, those are what come to mind.  Game is generally in a much better state now and I'll take having these complaints over having a past version of the game.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I miss my VidiotMap. My in house computer tech died a few years ago. Then my computer died and had to buy a replacement. My computer skills could use some improvement. I was excited I got Homecoming installed. Yes I read the articles, no I have absolutely no clue what any of them meant. The step by step is not basic enough. My daughter or son in law will eventually install it. But I miss it

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Mina said:

I miss my VidiotMap. My in house computer tech died a few years ago. Then my computer died and had to buy a replacement. My computer skills could use some improvement. I was excited I got Homecoming installed. Yes I read the articles, no I have absolutely no clue what any of them meant. The step by step is not basic enough. My daughter or son in law will eventually install it. But I miss it

I'm sure that if you post in the Help subforum, someone will do their absolute best to take you through it and get it installed,  (I would offer here, but I don't want to thread-jack.)

• Like 1

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

Hi, you can still do this but now with all the free stuff there is no need to!

As a lowbie using the tram overhead lines to run along above all those horrid purple baddies when going to the Uni in Steel or for travelling between IP north and south and for getting to the Store in Talos et cetera, mostly just for fun and to usually to collect explore badges.

And trying not to get run over by one of the trams and knocked off the rail……..🚃🚃🚂🚂😢🥲😃

• Like 3

On 6/4/2021 at 3:06 AM, Rumors said:

-I wish the game didn't actively try to hide a lot of old content these days.  Yeah, a bunch of it is bad, but, you know, options.  Sometimes I don't want to bypass the lowbie levels but also not replay the same new KR Skulls storyline.  I know how to get to the other contacts, but I wish I didn't have to go out of my way for 'em.

I still think the way missions and contacts are handled could to with a standardisation pass.  

The Wards - you've got 10 levels to work through most of the contacts, which form a coherent narrative across two zones. 

The Hollows - Talshak the Mystic has a level range of three. The zone's story arc chain is actually quite good and ends in a trial, but it does it's best to make it inconvenient for you do to so. 

Striga, Croatoa and Faultline all have very good self-contained stories and the game does its best to make them seem like out-of-the-way backwaters. They each have missions in two halves, with two contacts for each half, and if you don't hit the level requirement for the next half the story just sort of stops unless you happen to go back there. 

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

32 minutes ago, Gulbasaur said:

Striga, Croatoa and Faultline all have very good self-contained stories and the game does its best to make them seem like out-of-the-way backwaters. They each have missions in two halves, with two contacts for each half, and if you don't hit the level requirement for the next half the story just sort of stops unless you happen to go back there. 

I do wish that it were possible to start a Ouroboros storyline, leave it to join friends doing something else, and then return to it where you left off.  I would run Maria Jenkins no other way if this were possible. 

• Like 1
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

On 6/6/2021 at 4:13 PM, GraspingVileTerror said:

And the old less cartoonish Circle of Thorns.

While I do sometimes miss the "old school" Circle look, which was probably more appropriate for a group of anachronistic mages than a lot of spikes and skin-tight lizard leather, I'm actually glad that the redesign put them in parts that are (mostly-) useable by player characters, too. It made designing faction-matching outfits for my own Oranbegan characters a WHOLE LOT easier and less annoying... I mean, really. We would *never* have gotten anything close to those robe meshes for player use. Ever. 

Now, if only those Death Mage bits, the horned gloves and the caped shoulder piece that the guys got two years ago would finally be ported over to the female side of the costume creator-... 

<_<

>_>

I still say the NPC Thorn Wielders need a recolor, too.

There's no reason why they should be stuck in brown like the Guides and Archers.  Even in lizard leather they should get their traditional black and red, darn it.  😆

Edited by Coyotedancer
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Taker of screenshots. Player of creepy Oranbegans and Rularuu bird-things.

Kai's Diary: The Scrapbook of a Sorcerer's Apprentice

On 5/25/2021 at 12:42 AM, Hew said:

HAHAHA

I played exclusively on redside from the day it was released (have my figs and box and everything from preorder) up until going rogue. On Victory, there just really was no redside at all. People never liked playing it. It was just as lonely then as it is today.

Which is a shame, as many of the arcs, maps and enemy types redside are fantastic and really enjoyable

Redside is let down by every single zone being so miserable and looking pretty much the same. The lower level zones are far too big and hard to navigate compared to heroside (though the 'insta-win' of travel powers being availible from the start helps negate this)

• Like 1