Can powerboost affect knockback again please?

Was it possibly removed when they started causing KB'd foes to ragdoll?  I know they didn't used to ragdoll, and we know how screwy ragdolls are in CoX that power boosting with that might just make it worse.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

10 minutes ago, 0th Power said:

Why?

It's already possible to generate extremely high-magnitude KB in PVP, and if you don't have KB resistance in an armor set, you're stuck trying to build to like mag 40 KB protection.  It'd just be impossible to build to mag 80 KB protection, so anyone who could Power Boost/Power Push could horrendously knock anyone who didn't have a KB-resisting armor set.  My understanding is that in team PvP, if you get knocked, the other team can very reliably kill you before you can next act.

Disclaimer:  Am not a PvPer of any seriousness, just consolidating info that I've seen in the forums, am possibly out of date.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, aethereal said:

It's already possible to generate extremely high-magnitude KB in PVP, and if you don't have KB resistance in an armor set, you're stuck trying to build to like mag 40 KB protection.  It'd just be impossible to build to mag 80 KB protection, so anyone who could Power Boost/Power Push could horrendously knock anyone who didn't have a KB-resisting armor set.  My understanding is that in team PvP, if you get knocked, the other team can very reliably kill you before you can next act.

Disclaimer:  Am not a PvPer of any seriousness, just consolidating info that I've seen in the forums, am possibly out of date.

Yes, this is accurate. At one point people were building in like 48 points of KB protection (that’s a buttload of procs). Though at a certain point, if you’re expecting people to have that protection, you wouldn’t bring a bubbler or whatever. In most settings though, ~15 pts seems adequate, and people just accept that it’s not worth it to make so many build sacrifices to resist Force Bolt. If you could Power Boost it though, in organized team arena, yeah, the target is dead meat.

Anyway, they removed this for a reason, so we need to discuss whatever that reason is first.

Edited by arcane
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have vague memories of actually teaming with @0th Power back in the days when we were playing on the Guardian server using powerboost and force field toons to use force bolt and toss low level skulls in Galaxy City and see how far we could launch them.

That said I think why not let powerboost affect kb mag in pve? People can still use to a KB to KD to minimize the effects of their own KB if they choose, but this allows for extra functionality. As a retired pvper, it could even be interesting in a pvp aspect to help overcome kb prot/res (I'm not saying it would be great or bad, but simply interesting, and I wonder if the meta would adjust).

About a year ago I commented on a post about changing how KB worked, and thought that targets should take impact damage based on the distance they were KB'd, which is something I'm still interested in as it would make long KB effects actually more useful.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

I have vague memories of actually teaming with @0th Power back in the days when we were playing on the Guardian server using powerboost and force field toons to use force bolt and toss low level skulls in Galaxy City and see how far we could launch them.

Good times!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeraphimKensai said:

That said I think why not let powerboost affect kb mag in pve? People can still use to a KB to KD to minimize the effects of their own KB if they choose, but this allows for extra functionality. As a retired pvper, it could even be interesting in a pvp aspect to help overcome kb prot/res (I'm not saying it would be great or bad, but simply interesting, and I wonder if the meta would adjust).

About a year ago I commented on a post about changing how KB worked, and thought that targets should take impact damage based on the distance they were KB'd, which is something I'm still interested in as it would make long KB effects actually more useful.

Yeah as long as it's PVE only, why not. 🙂 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

Or Hellion Golf in AP before Enhancement Diversification -- six-slot Power Thrust for KB, add Power Boost, and punt Hellions across Atlas Park.

This happened in I11 when Acrobatics was reduced from mag 100 to mag 9, and it was probably for mostly-PvP-related reasons (because at the time you could not separate PvE and PvP effects to the point you can today) but when the I13 PvP overhaul happened it didn't get reverted for PvE which tells me there was probably some PvE-specific reason as well.

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

The powers that do knockback already have a high mag if you slot it for that.  Power boosting the kb on top of that would be totally unnecessary and would likely piss off teammates more than anything.  For fun being able to punt hellions in Atlas I can see the reason for it but other than that yes the biggest problem would be how it would interact with things like power push in pvp.  

I say this as someone who spent a lot of time in zone and arena pvp on a Mind/Nrg dom.  The mag is already real high on power push and when I tested your defenses for kb protection and you didn't pass I could easily follow that up with a Total Focus when it was hax with a 15s stun against squishies.  Death on a stick.  

Leave the powers themselves with their high values, power boost shouldn't be able to multiply it's effect, totally unnecessary unless it's pvp and that'd be super OP.  Pvp is already a mess with the mez system and procs, no need to add this to it.