On player excellence ...

excessionoz

There are many ways to pass time in CoH between leveling new characters, running tf's and playing consignment-house bingo.  There are people who facilitate these out-of-character events, normally in the form of various contests. 

The most common type of being-with-other-people-and-not-getting-XP player run event is the generic costume contest.  I am not going to enter the quagmire re CC etiquette vs shambles, it is just a convenient trope example.

So ... a character finished acquiring Atlas Medallion accolade, and I found myself in Atlas Park, amidst the yells for DFB and the incessant pitiful begging for AE farm door-sit positions.  I had 22Million on my character, and decided I would try to brighten up the day with a Hide and Seek event.

"wut?"

This is where you do /ghide and select everything but 'tells', so you are as well hidden as you csn be, find a location in a zone and hide.  Then announce in broadcast that the game is afoot, any player less than (say) Level 20 who finds and trades with me, gets the prize.  In this case I figured I coulf throw 15M away, so that was my prize offering.  I would progressively pinpoint my location by posting clues -- -'south of tram'  '707 yards east of back alley brawler' etc.  People could then zoom around trying to find you to get the prize.

After setting up the game in Broadcast, having determined my hiding spot, I was hit with a /tell 'sent you an email'.

Hmm, someone trying to scam my location?  "Why?" I replied, then i looked at my email, and sure enouogh, someone (lets call him bob) had sent me an in-game email, it contained the text 'for the prize pool' and an attachment of 100,000.000 inf.

Far out!

The guy went on to say that he hoped more people would participate in such events.  I immediately boosted the prize to 50M, setting aside the other 50 for another day.  Thanked the generous donater, and felt extraordinarily privileged to be a part of the CoH community that helped make the game more rewarding to all.

I am surprised at the generosity of players.  I know that some people have countless billions of inf pocketed, and `00M is a drop in their ocean of wealth, but for me, 100M is a heap of influence,and for new players, wealth unimaginable!

Thanks to the tgreater community.  Player excellence isn't just ability to speedrun TF's.  It is about thankless generosity, and string-free gifts to other players.  Keep on being awesome.

(please excuse typos, I have nerve problems and fat-finger keys constantly)

• Like 27
  • Thanks 6

I Can say, it was an Fun Event.

By Sheer Luck i discovered you and i am very happy about the Price.

It helps me build my new Toon and having no problems to outfit him on his way to 50 will be an sweet extra for me.

Thanks to the Donor of the Inf.

And thanks for handing me over the lovly 50 Million.

Edited by Braddack
  • Like 6
  • Thumbs Up 2

On Excelsior, *Everlasting. Lord knows why I put Excelsior, Krow typically does these every once in a while.

It's fun.

(Plus our dropship bounties on the MSR *never* stay at what they start at... we seem to always have people donating there. :D )

Edited by Greycat
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

There are so many examples of player excellence on Homecoming.  Including Free Farms from generous farmers lol.  Thankfully I PL myself on an alt account now.  Those with a comp (or two) that can handle the situation should set themselves up as well.  So much faster than being in a 8 person farm team.

Yomo's Whizbang giveaway.  The giveaway for hide and seek by Krow and fun spirited and generous types like yourself.  The costume contests.  The guides to inf making and character building.  THe PUG team I joined that did a LRSF in an amazingly short time yesterday lol.  

We have seriously quality players all over the place,  Thank you all for being in the Homecoming community.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/21/2021 at 1:17 AM, Greycat said:

(Plus our dropship bounties on the MSR *never* stay at what they start at... we seem to always have people donating there. 😄 )

I've only seen that on one MSR run and that was awhile back.  Obviously I need to track down better MSR leaders!

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 6/23/2021 at 2:03 AM, fixr629 said:

What ever happened to Granite races?

Granite toons would race along a designated course in a footrace, in their granite armor and rooted on.

I wouldn't mind speedboosted Granite marathons. Like, say, in that one industrial factory instance that's basically a square with a central structure and several layers of ramps. Race from the entrance to the very top of that structure. The inability to jump makes travel a lot more interesting to manage sometimes.

I've hosted few casual  (usually spur of the moment) kickball PvP events with odd constraints, such as entry toons must be no higher level than lvl 6 with a prize a full set of corresponding ATO's for the winning character of a double elimination round robin.

Otherwise I like hosting themed TF's, or drinking game TF's as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

When I find out someone is new in a villain zone I instantly give them 50 milion and introduce them around to Ghost Widow and that group.  If I'm in a hero zone I give the new players 20 million and let them know I've tied the rest to a kittens collar and tossed into a tree somewhere in the zone.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/21/2021 at 2:17 AM, Greycat said:

On Excelsior, Krow typically does these every once in a while.

It's fun.

(Plus our dropship bounties on the MSR *never* stay at what they start at... we seem to always have people donating there. 😄 )

Same thing on the Evening MSRs twice daily on Everlasting (Usually run by Chaos Unlimited). Don't always have a bounty, but when we do, it doesn't stay at the starting amount...

2 hours ago, On-Fire Dude said:

Same thing on the Evening MSRs twice daily on Everlasting (Usually run by Chaos Unlimited). Don't always have a bounty, but when we do, it doesn't stay at the starting amount...

... I have no idea why I put excelsior when I'm mostly on everlasting. :D I tend to add to the bounty, myself. Someone's gotten a few hundred million inf of mine, by now, and at least a couple super packs or winter IOs.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

We get the old Hide n Seek game on Reunion reasonably regularly.  It can be fun.

Well done all who contribute to all these!

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )