Server down?

jaywashere

And to be honest, OVH's average downtime is something like 2 hours a year for most clients.

It is entirely possible that the initial support ticket was not escalated because the servers were all online as far as yon internet was concerned, and the intra-server connections were not understood to be critical.

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

I don't know. Doesn't look entirely trustworthy.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

10 minutes ago, WitchesAndRayGuns said:

There's an absolutely classic service call thing about someone calling to say their computer doesn't work and, tldr, it ends up being that the area is suffering from a power cut.

I'm a hardware tech. If I forget to plug something in I tell the customer there was a "Discontinuity of electrons". They generally accept it and are dazzled by my brilliance 😉

• Haha 2

To be fair to Homecoming.  They've suffered near 'nothing' in extended downtime over the last year or so.  And the progressive they've made with CoH has been impeccable.

In the scheme of things it won't be 'too long' before they're back.

Though maybe having a 'back up' plan in case of something like this happening is something that can be looked at.  A kind of 'whack a mole' strategy.

When it's your network provider you're dependent on their '24/7' support.  Not much you can do but wait for them to deal with it.

Azrael.

You know, this feeling takes me back. I mean, right back 16 years or so. Every time they did an update back in the early years, it would take hours longer than expected for one reason or another. I'd be there, refreshing the server status page every five minutes because I didn't want to do something else in case the servers came back.

*sigh* Nostalgia...

16 minutes ago, Dryfter said:

"Discontinuity of electrons"

We tend to call it "air in the wires."

PS: The "traditional" approach:

https://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ballard/bofh/bofhserver.pl

Edited by DoctorDitko
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, usshathaway5 said:

I guess this is what happens when you "cheap out" on servers...hopefully this doesn't become the norm.  

For my own part, I'd like to take this moment to tell the gang at Homecoming "Thank you for all your hard work, thank you for throwing this grand ball called CoH Homecoming, and thank you for allowing me to be your guest. Snags and setbacks have not, and can not diminish it."

I am astonished and humbled by all the good that you do.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

5 minutes ago, Petraness said:

Yeah, I figure, I waited for years to be back in Paragon City, a day or two more won't kill me.  Meanwhile, I'm stress eating chocolate cake.  Chocolate cake anyone?

So, after a decade long hiatus my plans were to junk out on CoX today.

I did laundry, tidied up, ran errands, and ate very slowly, all in hopes the servers would be online once again...

so please tell me they are regardless if I just finished viewing the server status page.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cow666 said:

Never realised how addicted I was to this game until I couldn't play it for 24 hours 😟

Hell, the last downtime was 61,320 hours! That turkey was very cold.

• Haha 6