Can't decide on a name...

Ultimo

2 hours ago, TheOtherTed said:

For example, 'flagellum rubrum' back-translates as 'red whip' in English, which may not mean what you want it to mean.

Or 'Flagrum', which is more specifically the Roman scourge -- but it is still a type of whip. You could also substitute 'Clades' or 'Plaga', but those carry other connotations that may not translate well. Or 'Punire Rubrum', although Google Translate does not handle the conjugation properly, and simply translates 'punire' as 'punish', even though it is the nominative gerund form, not the verb.

On 6/25/2021 at 9:41 PM, Ultimo said:

What you guys think?  The character is based on Red Skull, but I can't decide on what name I want to use.

My first thought was the Red Scourge, but that's in use.

So, I looked for other names, and came up with the Red Blight... but I'm not sure it carries the same sense of menace.

I recreated him as the Red Bane... but it just lacks a certain something I can't quite put a finger on...

I thought about the Red Woe, but I can't play if I keep hearing Keanu Reeves in my head.

What do you guys think, Blight?  Bane?  Something else?

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

COH bomp bomp: 

Apologies to Peter Gabriel but what about:

Red Reign

or

Blood Helm

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

On 6/26/2021 at 7:32 AM, Ultimo said:

Scourge was my first choice... but as with most of my characters, the name isn't available.

Not sure if you're into this, but when I really love a name/concept combo and the name I truly want is already taken, I just add a period to the end or change something (like R3D Scourge).  It's not perfect, but you still get the name you truly want.  Maybe play around with alternative spellings, punctuation, caps, etc.?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tahliah said:

Not sure if you're into this, but when I really love a name/concept combo and the name I truly want is already taken, I just add a period to the end or change something (like R3D Scourge).  It's not perfect, but you still get the name you truly want.  Maybe play around with alternative spellings, punctuation, caps, etc.?

Ya, I've tried things like that before, but they're never quite good enough, or else they're already taken too.

I wish there was a way to know if the characters sitting on the names are actually characters people are playing.  For example, if someone made a character and called him Canadian Shield, but hasn't played in years, chances are they're not going to, and they're making it impossible for me to name my character correctly. 

7 hours ago, Ultimo said:

I wish there was a way to know if the characters sitting on the names are actually characters people are playing.  For example, if someone made a character and called him Canadian Shield, but hasn't played in years, chances are they're not going to, and they're making it impossible for me to name my character correctly. 

I feel ya!  I was late to finding out about HC (didn't hear about it until May 9th, '19), so my main's name (Ice Ice Baby) was taken.  I've yet to see this toon anywhere, no matter what time of day or night, and I occasionally try for it since names are freed up regularly depending on the level of the toon.  My guess is that the player got their Ice Ice Baby to 50 before I got here, but who knows.  They have the name, so that's that.  At first, I did what I had done on live with the name and used a lower case "L" for the second "Ice," but on HC, it's clearly an "L" so I opted to add a period at the end.  It's all good. I have my toon and name and am happy.

I've seen people use spaces creatively:  I c e Ice Baby (and etc.), so there are ways to get your name even if it's taken. But yeah, I'd love to have "my" name (even though I didn't even have it on live, so it's not "mine" at all!  Heh).  Honestly, I am just so happy to be able to run her in the game that I don't spend much time thinking about it.  Heck, even if I had to call her Ice Ice Ice Baby, I would (and she is ice3, so that would even work).  Heck, after being gone for seven years, I'd be happy to run her if she was named Ice Blaster 265414687.  😛

Edited by Tahliah

Ya, I do have a variation of Canadian Shield now.  I tried Canadian.Shield, but that was taken... so was Canadian-Shield, Canadian SheiId, Canadian Shie1d, -Canadian Shield-, -Canadian-Shield-, CanadianShield, and so on.  Brackets aren't allowed, the game doesn't recognize most letters from other alphabets that look the same as english, and so on.

So, I ended up with two versions of the name (one is on a Tanker, which is what my character was on live, and one is on the new, Brute version), Canadian'Shield and Canadian - Shield.  Being a little bit of a purist, I still find it really frustrating that my characters have those extra little blips in the name, but it is what it is.

We do have @ handles, I wonder why they don't do what Champions Online did, and include that in the character's name?  That way if I made a Canadian Shield, his actual name on the server would be Canadian Shield@Ultimo (though it would only display Canadian Shield).  If you also made a character named Canadian Shield, you could use the same exact spelling because as far as the server is concerned, the name would be Canadian Shield@Tahlia.  Of course, in the game, they would appear to have the same name, but the server would know different.  That way, everyone could have whatever name they wanted for their character, without worrying if someone else already used it.

I'm no programmer, but I can't imagine it would be all that difficult to do...

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, Ultimo said:

Ya, I do have a variation of Canadian Shield now.  I tried Canadian.Shield, but that was taken... so was Canadian-Shield, Canadian SheiId, Canadian Shie1d, -Canadian Shield-, -Canadian-Shield-, CanadianShield, and so on.  Brackets aren't allowed, the game doesn't recognize most letters from other alphabets that look the same as english, and so on.

So, I ended up with two versions of the name (one is on a Tanker, which is what my character was on live, and one is on the new, Brute version), Canadian'Shield and Canadian - Shield.  Being a little bit of a purist, I still find it really frustrating that my characters have those extra little blips in the name, but it is what it is.

Canadien Shield would have been my first alternative. It's not really a misspelling when you can play it off as a nod to Canada's French 
heritage.  Just don't be surprised if you suddenly start getting chat messages along the lines of "Recherche membre du parti".

1 hour ago, Gwyrddu said:

Canadien Shield would have been my first alternative. It's not really a misspelling when you can play it off as a nod to Canada's French 
heritage.  Just don't be surprised if you suddenly start getting chat messages along the lines of "Recherche membre du parti".

I actually did try that, but it grated on me.  I kept seeing it as a misspelling... or perhaps the thought that others might see it as a misspelling... and that that bothered me too much.  What can I say, I'm a victim of my high school English teacher, spelling errors are like nails on a chalkboard to me.

(Do younger generations even know what nails on a chalkboard sound like?  I mean, it's usually all whiteboards and Powerpoint these days...)

• Haha 1

Canadien Beacon

5 hours ago, Gwyrddu said: