Weird things we do in character builds

JasperStone

I pulled a character off the shelf yesterday, keep in my mind I do not use MIDS. 

A lvl 48 dual pistols/devices and for some reason I took:

1. Arcane flight
  2. Combat TP
  3. Superspeed.

ummmm ok. This made me laugh out loud.

I typically take one travel power, but here I took three..... oh dear.

What weird power choices did you discover when taking a dusty character off the shelf?

• Haha 2

Forums  - a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

"it will be a forum for consumers to exchange their views on medical research"

Spam Response- Spam, in the context of cybersecurity, refers to any unsolicited and often irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent over the internet. 

I have two of my Gravity controllers that both have 4-5 Sorcery powers and the teleport pool, so that they can teleport a shielded flaming vacuum Singularity into the middle of every mob. Between those things and Hasten you’ve got little room left for defense and LotG’s so I guess that’s about as weird as it gets vs the meta..

One of those two has Fold Space so between porting my Singy around and Wormhole + Fold Space... well I certainly never have a moment where I can’t jerk mobs around. Bit excessive though.

Edited by arcane
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My first blaster took Web Envelope to stop runners, after which I remembered she has Ring of Fire in her attack chain. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Everlasting's Actionette 

Also Wolfhound, Starwave, Blue Gale, Relativity Rabbit, and many more!

In fairness to you, that's not a terrible combination of powers. Combat Teleport isn't really a travel power it's more of a combat utility.

Super Speed is also an invisibility power. In the newest iteration it lets you travel through creatures without them noticing you. It will even suppress your damage auras so they won't alert mobs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The only potentially weird thing I do is take Provoke on my Stalkers (if I can fit it).  And it's actually kind of practical since it helps keep foes from running away from me and also is useful on teams keeping stuff off of others if there is no or not enough tanking/control on the team already.

But it seems thematically weird because it's sort of the opposite of sneaky, I guess.  I skip Placate and I take Provoke. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have a Dark Melee/Dark Armor Brute named Shadow-Boxer who was once a champion boxer who won a belt that (unbeknownst to him) was enchanted to stoke the rage inside his heart. (A reference to how Brutes actually play.) Anyway, I only took from Dark Melee Shadow Punch, Smite, Shadow Maul and Taunt (since those abilities resemble punches. Definitely a gimpy build, but he's still level 33 now.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've an Ice/Traps Fold Spacer with Sorcery (all bar the hp shield). Also has Combat tp and numerous binds and macros like "target Jack and Enflame him" or "combat tp to my target" or "drop Ice patch on my target".

And lots of procs in things like Poison Trap.

Basically I run in after the meatshield, Fold everything, drop a Mez and then as many Traps as needed.

Normally it either works really well or I die since I had to skip things like Fighting to squeeze everything in.

• Like 1

Most of my oddities aren't so much power choices but slotting and IO/set choices.

My Cold/Ice/Power on Live had 3 sets of 5-slotted Adjusted Targetting (5% recharge).  Then again he could hard cap his own To Hit as a result.

I had an Emp/Sonic/Elec that had 20 points of KB protection slotted (Karma and BotZ) after getting bounced every which way by Director 10 before his trip mining got nerfed.  

Planned build using a whole bunch of Tempest -end procs on an Emp/Electric Blast sapper build.

Just to name a couple.

Edited by Doomguide2005
Typos
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Carnifax said:

I've an Ice/Traps Fold Spacer with Sorcery (all bar the hp shield). Also has Combat tp and numerous binds and macros like "target Jack and Enflame him" or "combat tp to my target" or "drop Ice patch on my target".

And lots of procs in things like Poison Trap.

Basically I run in after the meatshield, Fold everything, drop a Mez and then as many Traps as needed.

Normally it either works really well or I die since I had to skip things like Fighting to squeeze everything in.

This actually works well with grav and singy, without the need for fighting pool. 🙂 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Hew said:

This actually works well with grav and singy, without the need for fighting pool. 🙂 

I'd just finished a Grav/TA so needed a different primary. So I ended up basically makint a melee range version of the same char (plop things into a spot, Mez em, drop horrible debuffs on them) 😂

Edited by Carnifax

First time around (2005) on my martial arts scrapper I took hover to go vertical as well as try to avoid caltrops.  I'd no consideration for how hover in combat might not pair well with something designed for feet on the ground.

Edited by Techwright
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Techwright said:

First time around (2005) on my martial arts scrapper I took hover to go vertical as well as try to avoid caltrops.  I'd no consideration for how hover in combat might not pair well with something designed for feet on the ground.

In the current version of the game I cringe every time I make a build and I'm not able to fit hover, fly and evasive maneuvers in, especially on melee and particularly on martial arts.  Hovermelee is the way.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1