Soooo am I the only player who finds "pets" annoying on teams?

Mina

22 hours ago, Blackbird71 said:

It sounds like you haven't actually played in a while.  Pets were updated on HC quite some time ago so that you can move through them, so they shouldn't block doorways or be pushing any PCs anywhere.

Depends on what the definition of 'pet' is; Phantom Army still blocks movement.

3 minutes ago, Shred Monkey said:

I'd like to take this time to go on record that I dislike all NPC collision.

Like when two factions are "fighting" each other until you show up, then they start buffing each other in order to take you out?  That is some real BS there!

• Haha 2

Who run Bartertown?

8 hours ago, Riverdusk said:

As stated, Mastermind pets were changed to not affect other players at all anymore and you can go right through them.  I'd love to see that change made for all pets.

As to your issue more in general, it sounds like you are looking for validation about your personal preference more than anything.  Some people have a "love affair with pets" because they find them fun.  I think that is pretty much it.

Also, if you really hate teaming with pet users that much, then don't?  Instead of complaining on the forums about how other people enjoy playing the game, you could even start your own teams and just say in LFG, no pets please, when you recruit.  Problem solved?  I'd rather you do that then to be silently cussing me out just because I join a team you're on and I enjoy playing pet classes.   I also enjoy ice cream.

How odd you associate annoying with hate. But then over exaggeration of interpreting someone else's emotions is the standard these days. Gosh I didn't notice there is no complaining done on the forums, very sorry to have missed that fact. Here is another very sad fact, you are  not able to control any other person's emotions. They may very well be cursing you out for any number of reasons, you'll have to live with it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Just now, Mina said:

How odd you associate annoying with hate. But then over exaggeration of interpreting someone else's emotions is the standard these days. Gosh I didn't notice there is no complaining done on the forums, very sorry to have missed that fact. Here is another very sad fact, you are  not able to control any other person's emotions. They may very well be cursing you out for any number of reasons, you'll have to live with it.  

How odd that you associate someone offering helpful advice on how to avoid that which annoys you with trying to control someone else's emotions.

I'll also add that when you started the thread off by challenging people to "prove [you] wrong" about an opinion, something that literally cannot be proven or disproven, you set an antagonistic tone for the conversation.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I mostly play controllers, and for whatever reason, the designers put a massive chunk of our DPS into our pets.  Think of putting up with our pets as the price you have to pay for the buffs, debuffs, and control we dish out.  I've always loved pet classes, and control classes, and getting both in one in controllers is literally the best of all worlds for me, so if I get blocked at a doorway or pushed around once in a while, that's OK with me.  If they were weaker I would maybe not bother, but as it is, unless the team is steam rolling so fast I am not doing much anyway, the pet contributes enough to be worth it.  On a really fast team, I will often not bother putting it out.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Blackbird71 said:

How odd that you associate someone offering helpful advice on how to avoid that which annoys you with trying to control someone else's emotions.

I'll also add that when you started the thread off by challenging people to "prove [you] wrong" about an opinion, something that literally cannot be proven or disproven, you set an antagonistic tone for the conversation.    

Even more odd, your offer of advice is form my own team. Really??? lol

• Thumbs Down 1

Okay yeah, I'll admit I find most pets annoying.  And I don't think MM fans need to react to that as some kind of insult or other.  I like what I like and I don't like what I don't like.  I don't get in anyone's face about it in game.

MMs for me are in the category of audio/visual noise.  There's just too much of them there.  Certain overbearing non-MM powersets also tick me off in the same way.  I love the powers... but hate the VFX.  Like Electrical Affinity.  I LOVE what it does.  I hate that it looks like I'm constantly being electrocuted by a teammate with the attendant and constant white-noise of "bzzzzzzzt...." going off every two seconds.  Stormies... yeah, you are godly and I, at the same time, hate hurricanes and lightning storms.  

I don't want to turn off all visual affects to alleviate that either.  And like I said, I don't  act like a jerk about it in game.  I grit my teeth and deal with it.  But I usually excuse myself sooner than I normally would on a team with multiple  MMs or overbearing VFX.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mina said:

When you find whole AT's  "annoying" to deal with, that is the only real advice to offer at the moment.  If you had actual constructive ideas on how others could deal with your complaints (other than telling people don't use pets which is a huge part of their character), or suggestions for the devs on how to deal with your issues, that MAY have been helpful and we're all ears.   

Your post comes across as a rant with no useful ideas beyond telling other people the way they enjoy playing the game is annoying.   You never even asked for suggestions on how to deal with your "annoyances", so not sure what the point of it was.

Edited by Riverdusk
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Mina said:

1. It wasn't my offer of advice.

2. Yes, really.  When you form your own team, you are in control, you set the rules for it, you decide who to invite and who to exclude.  It's the only reliable way of ensuring you don't have to deal with ATs that annoy you.  What would be your alternative?  Dictate to everyone else that they shouldn't play ATs to suit your whim?  Or that if they play those ATs, they can't use key powers that make them effective?

Short of convincing the HC devs to spend their limited volunteer time on alleviating your annoyance, you have two options:  1)  Take control of the situation by leading your own teams that don't involve pets, or 2) deal with it.

1 hour ago, Riverdusk said:

You never even asked for suggestions on how to deal with your "annoyances", so not sure what the point of it was.

Far from asking for suggestions, the OP literally challenged people to prove their personal annoyance wrong.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackbird71 said:

1. It wasn't my offer of advice.

2. Yes, really.  When you form your own team, you are in control, you set the rules for it, you decide who to invite and who to exclude.  It's the only reliable way of ensuring you don't have to deal with ATs that annoy you.  What would be your alternative?  Dictate to everyone else that they shouldn't play ATs to suit your whim?  Or that if they play those ATs, they can't use key powers that make them effective?

Short of convincing the HC devs to spend their limited volunteer time on alleviating your annoyance, you have two options:  1)  Take control of the situation by leading your own teams that don't involve pets, or 2) deal with it.

Far from asking for suggestions, the OP literally challenged people to prove their personal annoyance wrong.  

I thought most people were familiar with the Socratic method of initiating a discussion and instead I apparently hurt your feelings. That was not my intent. I apologize.

5 hours ago, Mina said:

I thought most people were familiar with the Socratic method of initiating a discussion and instead I apparently hurt your feelings. That was not my intent. I apologize.

I don't think you understand how the Socratic method works.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/25/2021 at 12:07 PM, Mina said:

I found pets annoying then and surprisingly still do. Prove me wrong, please.

You can't be proven wrong about your feeling.

How you feel is how you feel.

If you found pets annoying in the past and still do now, then that is the case.

There is no debating how you feel. It simply is how you feel.

• Thanks 3

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

Conversely, I greatly enjoy when other people have pets.  I kind of dig the wrinkle they put in combat creating non optimized aggro, it keeps the very old gameplay feeling a little fresh. But hey that's just me. I'm a little bit idiosyncratic. 

Plus it's cool to see what people name them.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, TombTyrant said:

Conversely, I greatly enjoy when other people have pets.  I kind of dig the wrinkle they put in combat creating non optimized aggro

Really?  I find those other people perfectly capable of creating non-optimized aggro without the need for pets.

They're called "Pick Up Groups" 🤪

• Haha 1

On 7/26/2021 at 7:38 AM, Shred Monkey said:

I'd like to take this time to go on record that I dislike all NPC collision.

It is a little tangential to the thread but it brings up the danged untargetable civilians who push you right out of the way. I finish a tough incarnate Trial on my 8ft tall Brute Robot in heavy armor. I zone into Atlas Park for a costume contest and am immediately pushed out of the way bu middle aged librarian    Hmmmm.  That… sigh… that kind of changed my mood

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

it brings up the danged untargetable civilians who push you right out of the way.

Or, in some edge cases, screw up combat. I was playing a Brute recently, and on an office map had one of the 'panicking civilians' run between me and my target, pushing me back and actually pushing me out of range for my character's melee attack.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Snarky said:

It is a little tangential to the thread but it brings up the danged untargetable civilians who push you right out of the way. I finish a tough incarnate Trial on my 8ft tall Brute Robot in heavy armor. I zone into Atlas Park for a costume contest and am immediately pushed out of the way bu middle aged librarian    Hmmmm.  That… sigh… that kind of changed my mood

Maybe it was a level 50 librarian who went with alpha musculature for his incarnate.

16 hours ago, ZemX said:

Really?  I find those other people perfectly capable of creating non-optimized aggro without the need for pets.

They're called "Pick Up Groups" 🤪

Not really. Because time is linear, most pick up groups are mostly comprised of veteran players.

7 hours ago, TombTyrant said:

Not really. Because time is linear, most pick up groups are mostly comprised of veteran players.

Are you serious?  Easily half the Posi 1s I've ever run, somebody aggroes the doors to City Hall ambush before the team is ready for it.   The worst of these, the whole team ended up being spawn camped at the zone entrance on the way back from the hospital.  And that's just one example.

Veteran or not, some people just don't bother to be careful when they play.  Maybe they don't think it's fun.  Maybe they are high when they play.  I don't know.   And by the way... it's not entirely a complaint either.  It's what makes PuGs interesting.  The other people on the team often don't do things the way you'd do them or even in a way you might consider "optimal".

I have certainly been on PuGs that ran like clockwork too.  Not saying that doesn't happen.  

• Thumbs Up 1