New command...

You can do /bind x "PowExecToggleOff Combat Jumping$$PowExecToggleOff Stealth...." to do a keybind to do multiple toggleoffs at once. (It occasionally requires hitting the key more than once).

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

20 hours ago, arcane said:

We’ve been over this a number of times and casting multiple powers simultaneously seems like a pretty hard no.

Not simultaneously, but you can create a bind to toggle on as many powers as you want; you just have to hit the key once for each power being activated -- I have a bind like this for Ninja Run, Athletic Run, and Sprint (characters only have one of the first two), and hitting the key twice turns them both on. How much this simplifies reactivating toggles would depend on how scattered they are in your trays.

39 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

Not simultaneously, but you can create a bind to toggle on as many powers as you want; you just have to hit the key once for each power being activated -- I have a bind like this for Ninja Run, Athletic Run, and Sprint (characters only have one of the first two), and hitting the key twice turns them both on. How much this simplifies reactivating toggles would depend on how scattered they are in your trays.

Yes, this, though I recall in the last thread on this topic, “not simultaneously” was not acceptable to the OP. 

I don’t want to have to learn and keep track of binds so it’s not an issue to me regardless 🙂

19 minutes ago, arcane said:

Yes, this, though I recall in the last thread on this topic, “not simultaneously” was not acceptable to the OP. 

I don’t want to have to learn and keep track of binds so it’s not an issue to me regardless 🙂

No Dorothy you cannot click your heels together once.  If you want to go to Kansas it has to be 3 distinct clicks.

• Haha 1

1. You can't, not with one command.
  2. It's pretty trivial to accomplish if you use the movement-pseudo-auto-fire method. Several recent threads.

52 minutes ago, arcane said:

One day all the "you can't MAKE me use binds!" players will realize that properly-created binds eliminate the need to remember and track things. (That is, five minutes writing a good bind should never add to the list of things you have to "track"; if you see it as making things more complicated, you're just plain doin' it rong.)

But I guess their CoX flash drive is full up remembering the clumsy and awkward basic key commands, so it's understandable. 🤪

Edited by Shenanigunner
  • Thumbs Down 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

What’s there to remember without binds? W-A-S-D movement, Q-E to turn, R to auto-run, Tab to target, first few number keys for basic attacks, the rest with a mouse. Nothing to “remember” here because those basics have been coded into my muscle memory over half of my life ago. Nothing in the game beyond the above is necessary to do with anything but a mouse. Game is not challenging enough to justify changing years of muscle memory for anything else.

Frankly with the way the game’s difficulty is trending, I feel closer to my cat being able to solo the game than I am to needing to spend 5 minutes implementing some keybind. I see custom keybinds much like I see emailing myself inspirations. Cheesy tricks I don’t want or need.

Edited by arcane

32 minutes ago, arcane said:

What’s there to remember without binds? W-A-S-D movement, Q-E to turn, R to auto-run, Tab to target, first few number keys for basic attacks, the rest with a mouse. Nothing to “remember” here because those basics have been coded into my muscle memory over half of my life ago. Nothing in the game beyond the above is necessary to do with anything but a mouse. Game is not challenging enough to justify changing years of muscle memory for anything else.

Frankly with the way the game’s difficulty is trending, I feel closer to my cat being able to solo the game than I am to needing to spend 5 minutes implementing some keybind. I see custom keybinds much like I see emailing myself inspirations. Cheesy tricks I don’t want or need.

"Press C to CoX." ;)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

38 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

One day all the "you can't MAKE me use binds!" players will realize that properly-created binds eliminate the need to remember and track things. (That is, five minutes writing a good bind should never add to the list of things you have to "track"; if you see it as making things more complicated, you're just plain doin' it rong.)

And I've recently started making popmenu sets for location AoE powers like rains that have consistent hotkey options to work as normal (i.e., mouse click on ground to place), place straight down, or place at current target. This makes using these powers in combat less annoying.

4 hours ago, arcane said:

Nothing in the game beyond the above is necessary to do with anything but a mouse. Game is not challenging enough to justify changing years of muscle memory for anything else.

Use this for one session and I'll cheerfully refund your Inf if you don't find it useful (especially for melee):

/bind G "follow$$target_enemy_near"

That's "G for Grapple" in case your memory is busy elsewhere. 🙂

Might be the first custom bind I wrote, long ago; I find it a helluva lot easier to tap that in the heat of mob combat than to try and click some next/near/needful foe in the scramble. Cheese-free, IMVHO.

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

2 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Use this for one session and I'll cheerfully refund your Inf if you don't find it useful (especially for melee):

/bind G "follow$$target_enemy_near"

That's "G for Grapple" in case your memory is busy elsewhere. 🙂

It would be more useful if the game didn't keep trying to match your speed to the mob you're following if they're moving; the number of times I've watched my character drift along lazily behind a mob, just out of melee range, when a tap on the 'w' key dashes up to them for the attack (and cancels the follow).

41 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

It would be more useful if the game didn't keep trying to match your speed to the mob you're following if they're moving; the number of times I've watched my character drift along lazily behind a mob, just out of melee range, when a tap on the 'w' key dashes up to them for the attack (and cancels the follow).

I don't think I've ever encountered that.

In fact, one of my prized moments on Live was when a family member player, a blaster, accidentally tapped it while we were preparing to tackle an EB. Her "power slide of death" across the office map lingers in the annals of the Gunner family. 😄

This and T-for-target (nearest) are basic combat binds to me. They've always worked flawlessly. G in particular is essential in mass melee battles so that as a damage-dealer you can always remain locked on an accessible target, and switch fast when they get KB'ed out of range.

On 7/26/2021 at 3:28 PM, Zepp said:

You can do /bind x "PowExecToggleOff Combat Jumping$$PowExecToggleOff Stealth...." to do a keybind to do multiple toggleoffs at once. (It occasionally requires hitting the key more than once).

You can now do:

/Powers_togglealloff

But not the opposite.  Even ignoring the balance concerns, implementation seems annoying (found toggle: prestige power slide. Enabled. Found toggle: sprint. Enabled. What's this? Found toggle: prestige power slide. Enabled... Ad infinitum).

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2021 at 2:17 PM, Shenanigunner said:

Or you have a physical disability that precludes using more than a handful of keys on the keyboard when playing, and are sick to death of people claiming that adding extra keys somehow makes things easier.  Seriously, you have no goddamn idea what you're talking about.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Black Zot said:

Or you have a physical disability that precludes using more than a handful of keys on the keyboard when playing, and are sick to death of people claiming that adding extra keys somehow makes things easier.  Seriously, you have no goddamn idea what you're talking about.

The post you're quoting is talking about binding your move keys to also toggle on your powers, so they're using less keys. 

3 hours ago, Replacement said:

You can now do:

/Powers_togglealloff

...which is a great addition. However, I still sometimes write bind to, f'rex, ONLY toggle off shields, or AoE effects, or such and want to leave other powers running. For the record, I can't think of a time a long string of /powertoggleoff commands failed. The command parser doesn't care about anything except multiple powers being activated; nearly everything else works without a hitch. There are limits on bind string length, though, which can be an issue with several long power names involved.

3 hours ago, Black Zot said:

2 hours ago, Replacement said:

The post you're quoting is talking about binding your move keys to also toggle on your powers, so they're using less keys. 

Exactly,

Look, I've been investigating, tinkering with and documenting binds and UI commands for a long time, since at least the first year of Live. My goal has always been to make the UI BetterFasterStronger...Simpler. I have worked privately with some players who have physical limitations — carpal tunnel, limited arm or finger movement, etc. — and always found at least a few ways to make their gameplay better. My goal for the general community is to make the UI more streamlined from its rather clunkly early-2000's roots and give everyone the power to make tweaks that "do it their own rotten way" — without needing a game redesign that (1) would affect everyone and (2) might never come anyway.

So forgive me if I am a little sick of player/posters who go out of their way to get alla up in my grille about how they don't need/don't want/hate binds, or how I am trying to tell people how to play the game MY rotten way, or just generally take offense because I post something that upsets their comfortable equilibrium with the game interface.

Go read the 140-page Tech Guide I've spent about ten years writing and updating and then tell me there's nothing of use to you (yes, YOU, dear reader) in it, that the game (and its fairly crappy default keybinds) and UI are jest perfect the way they iz, and I should just go away and quit bothering the nice folks here. Including the ones who say (sometimes repeatedly) "I have this huge problem..." and then reject all suggestions of fixes because "they don't like binds."

As Replacement says, if the movement-auto-fire bind scheme doesn't reduce your (inhibited) key-tapping by a helluva lot, I have no further suggestions.

/AoEblastfinished 🙂

Sorry shenanigans, I believe your binds make your life easier, but if they (1) require something “under the hood” that cannot be visibly identified in keymapping options or in my tray, (2) require any kind of setup at all, and (3) require revision of over a decade of muscle memory, that alone is enough for me to declare myself uninterested. I am happy with the interface as is, and would have to identify some genuine problem or challenge to motivate myself to bother with all that junk you rant about. Fortunately, the game is so easy as is that it’s even readily playable on hallucinogens.

3 hours ago, Black Zot said:

Then just don't do it. How is someone suggesting something harm you in any way?

1 hour ago, arcane said:

Sorry shenanigans, I believe your binds make your life easier, but if they (1) require something “under the hood” that cannot be visibly identified in keymapping options or in my tray, (2) require any kind of setup at all, and (3) require revision of over a decade of muscle memory, that alone is enough for me to declare myself uninterested.

Fair enough. Good thing the 40+ default keybinds are genetically encoded, eh?

(As I said, up in my grille. I don't see where you had any prior participation in this thread to warrant jumping in just to say "I hate binds.")

The number of players who will stick with "the way the game was built" instead of making the slightest adaptation to easier play just baffles me. It's like buying a car with the driver's seat set at some extreme position and insisting that's the way it should be and it's too much trouble to fix it.

I don't hawk binds because I own stock in them. I answer questions and complaints from users who don't like the way something works... and at least a third of the time, catch grief for suggesting something as 'orrible and awrful as changing a key or two.

Moving on now. Don't need the grille polish.

Edited by Shenanigunner

7 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

...which is a great addition. However, I still sometimes write bind to, f'rex, ONLY toggle off shields, or AoE effects, or such and want to leave other powers running. For the record, I can't think of a time a long string of /powertoggleoff commands failed. The command parser doesn't care about anything except multiple powers being activated; nearly everything else works without a hitch. There are limits on bind string length, though, which can be an issue with several long power names involved.

I have my stealth, travel, and shield toggle binds separated.

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation