Which Scrapper armor hole is the easiest to fill?

BurningDezire

7 minutes ago, BurningDezire said:

I've never tried it, but it's one of the options I'm considering. No KB protection on that one, right? Any other holes?

No KB protection and no DDR and needs Cardiac/Vigor and/or Ageless to be really fun. 

SR is amazing though will be a little weaker vs psi I think?

Edited by arcane

5 minutes ago, arcane said:

No KB protection and no DDR and needs Cardiac/Vigor and/or Ageless to be really fun. 

Really leaning towards SR. Never tried it before, but I do have a SD scrapper with 45%+ AOE, Ranged, and Melee defenses. So I'm wondering if it would play much different than SD?

27 minutes ago, BurningDezire said:

Really leaning towards SR. Never tried it before, but I do have a SD scrapper with 45%+ AOE, Ranged, and Melee defenses. So I'm wondering if it would play much different than SD?

SR won’t have the extra offensive power of Shield but otherwise yeah pretty much. Little less hp and resistance than Shield at high hp, more resistance than Shield at low hp, more DDR than Shield, a little +recharge, and a super wide open build that’s easy to stack up with set bonuses and procs.

1 hour ago, arcane said:

SR won’t have the extra offensive power of Shield but otherwise yeah pretty much. Little less hp and resistance than Shield at high hp, more resistance than Shield at low hp, more DDR than Shield, a little +recharge, and a super wide open build that’s easy to stack up with set bonuses and procs.

And by 'more' DDR it means you can have enough to basically ignore defense debuffers, cascade failure won't happen and even a few percent over the cap puts you in very good shape to never see anything under the cap.  The holes on SR are vs non-positional Psi and Toxic attacks which are both quite rare among Psi and Toxic users.  The thing that'll turn you to paste are likely foes with substantial To Hit buffs not defense debuffers.  Foes such as Rularuu Eyeballs and DE after a Quartz eminator has been dropped have what amount to auto-hit amounts of a To Hit buff (+100%) but technically it's not auto-hit.  There are a few others (Vanguard has some that manage upwards of +30%).  Combine any of these guys with the ability to do Psi or Toxic and you're in a world of pain as your scaling resists also do not cover these damage types.  I know Bill Z's recent build is here on the forums as is a Live version of mine (both Claws/SR scrappers)  I'm hoping that once I can get back in game to update her build and see if I can hit the scrapper Hit point limit of 2409.5 her old live build sits at just over 2100 so probably can't quite get there but the build doesn't include the Unbreakable Guard +max health IO either so ... .

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Doomguide2005 said:

And by 'more' DDR it means you can have enough to basically ignore defense debuffers, cascade failure won't happen and even a few percent over the cap puts you in very good shape to never see anything under the cap.  The holes on SR are vs non-positional Psi and Toxic attacks which are both quite rare among Psi and Toxic users.  The thing that'll turn you to paste are likely foes with substantial To Hit buffs not defense debuffers.  Foes such as Rularuu Eyeballs and DE after a Quartz eminator has been dropped have what amount to auto-hit amounts of a To Hit buff (+100%) but technically it's not auto-hit.  There are a few others (Vanguard has some that manage upwards of +30%).  Combine any of these guys with the ability to do Psi or Toxic and you're in a world of pain as your scaling resists also do not cover these damage types.  I know Bill Z's recent build is here on the forums as is a Live version of mine (both Claws/SR scrappers)  I'm hoping that once I can get back in game to update her build and see if I can hit the scrapper Hit point limit of 2409.5 her old live build sits at just over 2100 so probably can't quite get there but the build doesn't include the Unbreakable Guard +max health IO either so ... .

Nice! Claws/SR...sounds like a very survivable combo.

• Like 1

Just now, BurningDezire said:

Nice! Claws/SR...sounds like a very survivable combo.

It can be indeed.  Bill Z can stack up to 3 Follow Up each boosting his damage and the last build I saw was pushing energy/neg energy resists up there for doing DA repeatables.  Mine focused heavily into packing on +max health and regen which pushes her passive regen up around 32hp/sec backed by Rebirth she's very sturdy. 

1 minute ago, Doomguide2005 said:

It can be indeed.  Bill Z can stack up to 3 Follow Up each boosting his damage and the last build I saw was pushing energy/neg energy resists up there for doing DA repeatables.  Mine focused heavily into packing on +max health and regen which pushes her passive regen up around 32hp/sec backed by Rebirth she's very sturdy. 

Just did a search and found Bill Z's build. I think EM/SD has set the bar for me on Scrappers but think I will roll a Claws/SR. Haven't tried either, so why not?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Trying to find your build. Still searching.

4 hours ago, Haijinx said:

SR doesn't have much of a DMG type hole, just autohit stuff 

WP holes can be patched easily by IOs+Conserve Power 

No idea why Conserve Power is needed on WP, I went non stop attacking with just Stamina and Quick Recovery.

What holes are you talking about?  All I can think about is DDR.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, BrandX said:

No idea why Conserve Power is needed on WP, I went non stop attacking with just Stamina and Quick Recovery.

What holes are you talking about?  All I can think about is DDR.

WP has no End drain protection.  Usually this is no big deal since it has Quick Recovery and SOW.  But if you have Conserve Power then the hole becomes even smaller.  Carnies and Malta tend to be where this shows up.

It also has no slow protection but IOs can reduce that.  Usually this one only crops up vs. KOA and all those caltrops.

The DDR thing is a point I suppose.  Generally you have maxed S/L resist on WP though at higher levels and def debufs are very often lethal.  

7 hours ago, arcane said:

Only autohit Psi.  

There are a couple hits out there that autohit AND have terrorize.  Which is SRs "hole" I suppose. 

I only really notice against a couple of the psi AVs 

7 hours ago, arcane said:

SR does have higher base numbers for def than shield and +20% recharge.  It doesn't need to stack mez prot for max DDR either.  So its easier /less slots to build.   

Shield has higher dmg potential of course.   Though some high perfoming sets can't be used with it.  

That and shield makes you move like a male avatar.  Which can make some female and huge avs look less fluid movement wise.  Though that isn't a hole.  Just a quirk.  Some primaries do that too.

For most things even 'squishy' protection will be enough. That's because we have Barrier. When things go badly it's a panic button anyone has access to. And that's if completely wanting to avoid inspirations.

Do you want to solo all the things? Do you want to only team? Do you want to solo but nothing that is particularly exotic such as killing the Ruularu arcs?

In a team most anything will do as long as building for the basics. You might not be Tanker but you won't fold in the few seconds it takes for the tsunami of AoEs to wipe a pack of mobs.

For most factions non exotic anything will do. For the exotics its different but building specifically for them is a thing if you actually intend to go against them.

SR is pretty good nowadays. Incarnates fills a lot of holes. Rebirth Radial Destiny is great. Also slotting as many Power Transfer procs as possible and the Preventtive Medicine proc.

I have 3 PT and the one PM on a Stalker, and it averages out to around 15hp/sec heal. That's on top of base regen + random set bonuses.

SR can softcap easily with minimal slotting. That leaves a lot of room to chase +damage bonuses. At one point the same Stalker had +58% damage, but that was including +10.5% from Assault Leadership and +10% from Assault Hybrid. But +37.5% from set bonuses still feels like a lot. It's like a perma Focuses Rage inspira.

Holes in Dark Armor is pretty easy to fill. There's are alot of IOs that provide KB protection and none of them are unique. Dark Regeneration fixes a lot of the others problems. It's the best self heal in the game and the Theft of Essence proc helps with it's end cost.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Haijinx said:

WP has no End drain protection.  Usually this is no big deal since it has Quick Recovery and SOW.  But if you have Conserve Power then the hole becomes even smaller.  Carnies and Malta tend to be where this shows up.

It also has no slow protection but IOs can reduce that.  Usually this one only crops up vs. KOA and all those caltrops.

The DDR thing is a point I suppose.  Generally you have maxed S/L resist on WP though at higher levels and def debufs are very often lethal.  

Can confirm debuffs will absolutely wreck a WP build in a hurry. 

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

15 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

The holes on SR are vs non-positional Psi and Toxic attacks which are both quite rare among Psi and Toxic users. 

The only defense hole, yes, but I thought I read that their scaling resists didn’t include psi resistance on CoD. Could be wrong. But scaling resists are not negligible to the SR equation.

1 minute ago, arcane said:

The only defense hole, yes, but I thought I read that their scaling resists didn’t include psi resistance on CoD. Could be wrong. But scaling resists are not negligible to the SR equation.

You are correct, neither Psi or Toxic damage is helped out by SR's scaling resists.  Mentioned that a bit further along in the same post.  So yes a non-positional Psi or Toxic attack can get very painful, very quickly.  Fortunately they are also very rare especially big hard hitting attacks of that nature.  Ditto for anything causing Terrorize.  I try to carry at least 1 breakfree type inspire just in case I run into a rude surprise.  And this is a good place to note that SR has native Confuse protection, I've never been confused ... or it was so rare I don't recall it at all.  I do know I've been Terrorized.  You also can't be readily "Blinded".

On 10/13/2021 at 11:49 PM, BurningDezire said:

Just did a search and found Bill Z's build. I think EM/SD has set the bar for me on Scrappers but think I will roll a Claws/SR. Haven't tried either, so why not?

Your em/sd scrapper will be tougher with better single target damage but your aoe output will be drastically better on the claws/sr. I need to revisit all three of my claws and sr builds. Right now they're basically identical, excepting the AT IOs, and I want to tweak them back to being AT focused instead. May not end up being all that different than what I have now but I'm curious.

5 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Your em/sd scrapper will be tougher with better single target damage but your aoe output will be drastically better on the claws/sr. I need to revisit all three of my claws and sr builds. Right now they're basically identical, excepting the AT IOs, and I want to tweak them back to being AT focused instead. May not end up being all that different than what I have now but I'm curious.

I completed the Claws/SR build yesterday. It's pretty fun but for me it's a lot of button pressing where as with EM I can 2-shot +4 bosses. Though this is a personal preference and I do have minor carpel tunnel. I found SR to be very fun and feels more tanky than SD. Though I DID end up on a team where teammates buffs took me to 100%+ AOE, Ranged and Melee defenses. The way how you can keep bosses on their backs with Claws is amazing.

Edited by BurningDezire
  • Thumbs Up 2