Sell me on superspeed - why is running around the city the best?

DougGraves

Infiltration has generally replaced SS for me for when I want a decent travel power with stealth built in.  I usually end up with my infiltration at about 80mph run/jump speed (which I feel is plenty), it is more maneuverable since it does have a nice jump height/speed to it, and cherry on top, you can slot a LoTG into it. 

Cons are it takes up one more of your 4 power pool choices since most are picking up hasten anyway, and it can take an extra slot or two to get its speed to where you want it.  I typically end up 3 slotting it (2 Winter Gift (Move speed, slow resist), and a LoTG).  You could slot it with just the LoTG though if tight on slots and its base speed is still slightly faster than the prestige ninja run type powers.

• Like 1

Three things:

1. The Stealth granted by Super Speed is not noticed by pets. If you are a Mastermind, you can be stealthy without your pets losing their bonuses, wandering off, or demanding pay raises.
  2. Add any other Stealth effect (including the IO specials) and you are effectively invisible to foes, again without demoralizing your pets or losing bonuses.
  3. Have you tried running around in first person view? Hit Steel Canyon and spend 5 minutes in heaven running around town, then tell me SS isn't awesome!

CJ is usually plenty for the 3D stuff, but jump jets and temp fly powers are enough up for most purposes.

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

On 11/19/2021 at 11:01 AM, PeregrineFalcon said:

Fly is simply the better travel power and I have it on a lot of my characters.

But Fly is boring.

Superspeed is fun. It requires just a little bit of getting used to, a modicum of skill and timing. And, unlike Fly, you actually have to actively pay attention to what you're doing when you use Superspeed. Also, with the new jump ability that they've added to Superspeed, it's much easier to use.

But definitely have a Jet Pack for the Shadow Shards.

This. I use fly still but I treat it like a ship. I aim at the way point and put on auto travel and tab out or get on my phone or something. SS + CJ or just sprint + athletic run + CJ is just more fun. Especially hard core parkouring around with relatively limited jump distance. It's also just thrilling to go sanic fast. Being on the ground makes it seem even faster, which is a feeling even afterburner'd flight lacks even though the speed is pretty comparable. 

On 11/19/2021 at 12:19 PM, DougGraves said:

So is it okay, good, the best?

It is okay.

Even Speed of Sound is better in my book.

I guess superspeed is better than Infiltration.

On 11/19/2021 at 12:19 PM, DougGraves said:

What makes superspeed special and what are fun tricks to do with it?

Since I'm a character conception player, I really just use superspeed on my speedster characters.

Ironically, since I'm an old-school Flash Family fan, I just haven't made many characters with superspeed since I've been back.

I guess using other players like traffic cones and running circles, figure-8s, and what-not around them is fun.

Could always mix in a little combat jumping (extra def) or super leap to get some more vertical out of it.

We do have the mix-match-combine - turn all the travel powers you want on at one time and get the highest stat of each type of movement. 

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 11/20/2021 at 4:28 AM, Yomo Kimyata said:

Kidding aside, I feel that (outside of theme) none of the travel powers are really that necessary any more.  

I find that Sprint, Athletic Run, and a 5k inf jet pack cover all my needs from 1-50.  I think Superspeed gives you a marginal increase over that, but it’s really just an optional Universal Travel set mule as far as I’m concerned.

This.  My first "main" back on Live was an SS'er, and Grandville was a real PITA.  Now that I can buy jet packs easily, the Sprint/Slide combo does me easily well enough.  I don't need to ricochet down the street like a drunken pinball anyway.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

On 11/20/2021 at 11:28 AM, Oubliette_Red said:

After getting stuck in one too many bus stops I'm afraid that I cannot recommend Superspeed.

image.png.30e4c028fd1df87d001fa7f986cb299d.png

#28, full set now on the website.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

It's cool and fun, but it ultimately lacks the utility of the comic-book version because you can't use it to run up the side of buildings or phase through walls, etc.   It's also not terribly useful in cramped battlespaces like tunnels/corridors.

Getting vertical has always been the most useful travel power in the game, so flight, hover/ etc. are the best, especially in combat.   For melee types, combat teleport is my go-to movement power.  For blappers, hover+combat teleport allows you to dance in and out of melee/ranged combat with near impunity on teams.

On 11/19/2021 at 3:10 PM, Erratic1 said:

Speed of Sound in Experimentation moves you fast and comes with Jaunt for verticality. 

SJ is still my favorite travel power, but Speed of Sound is so much more practical I end up using it on just about everything.  Attack from range, then Jaunt into the mob and start delivering the PBAoE stinks. Farmer running out of nerds to punch?  Jaunt to the next mob, let the stragglers catch up to you.  Teammate getting murdered somewhere out of your line of site?  Target them, then Jaunt over and dump the green on them.  Have no idea how to get from where you are on this infernal DA map to where all your teammates are?  Target a teammate who looks like they know what they are doing, Jaunt to them.

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

18 hours ago, roleki said:

SJ is still my favorite travel power, but Speed of Sound is so much more practical I end up using it on just about everything.  Attack from range, then Jaunt into the mob and start delivering the PBAoE stinks. Farmer running out of nerds to punch?  Jaunt to the next mob, let the stragglers catch up to you.  Teammate getting murdered somewhere out of your line of site?  Target them, then Jaunt over and dump the green on them.  Have no idea how to get from where you are on this infernal DA map to where all your teammates are?  Target a teammate who looks like they know what they are doing, Jaunt to them.

I have not even tried speed of sound.  I really need to try the new pool powers.

3 hours ago, Crysis said:

Superspeeders rule the end-game of steamrolling mission content.  If you ain’t first, you’re last!

This thread is supposed to be saying good things about SS...  😀

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝