Sad anniversary with a silver lining

Lamb Chop

I'm not sure where to post this thought but I figure y'all would understand better than anyone.

Yesterday was my 32nd Birthday. 9 years ago we lost City of Heroes when NCSoft decided to shut it down. What an awful birthday present. To spend a night saying goodbye to something I had loved for 6 years, my home away from home, my escape from a world I struggled to cope with.

BUT

this year, 17 years after the game first launched, and 9 after it was shut down, my life is more together than ever. I'm in my own apartment, keeping myself afloat, working on myself, AND we have Homecoming! It's been a rough life but I'm very lucky to have these things now. I don't tend to think of myself as sentimental but City of Heroes was important to me and losing it on my birthday was like a punch to the stomach. While I don't have as much time to play as I used to I feel so much better knowing it's here now.

So thank y'all for being a part of Homecoming. Hope you're all having a great day!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 7

I feel you, Lamb Chop, same birth date, if a few years before you joined us here in what we laughingly call "IRL". 😉 

The closing of CoH on 11/30 left a bitter taste on my BD for every year since until Homecoming appeared. Now I can relax. Funny how having your psychological "home" ripped away can insert even more tension into and already challenging world.

Happy birthday to you!  And me! And very merry unbirthday to everyone else! 😉

• Like 2

All best wishes for a happy birthday and a wonderful year to come.  CoX has, after some serious beeyatch-slapping, emerged in what, I suspect, will be a template for MMPOGs in the years/decades to come: a professionally-produced work that has been abandoned as "not profitable" by the originally high-minded and now dismissive studios, and is now maintained, repaired and improved by the do-it-yourself-minded fans.  In many respects, the wonder is that Homecoming actually took so fricking long - there were fans enough with enough financial support (as is demonstrated month after month on this site; I wasn't even able to make a donation for December - by the time I was set to do so, the coffers had already filled up), technical wherewithal, and time-blocs available to sustain this game on a likely indefinite basis.

Anyway, all that aside - passing on all the happiest thoughts, and hoping to meet you out on those virtual streets and exchange a high-five while giving the Freakshow boss Tanker one upside the head.  Hoping you enjoy this and all upcoming birthdays.

Edited by Black Talon

I know your pain.    If only because my birthday celebrates the death of my first dog.   I remember posting about that on the forums back in 2009.    And I'm in mourning again cause basically a month ago I had to put my second dog to sleep.  Been playing a lot of COH this last month believe me.  So hug your dog if you have one! 

photo_0002.jpg

20210226_145310.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

8 hours ago, JnEricsonx said:

I know your pain.    If only because my birthday celebrates the death of my first dog.   I remember posting about that on the forums back in 2009.    And I'm in mourning again cause basically a month ago I had to put my second dog to sleep.  Been playing a lot of COH this last month believe me.  So hug your dog if you have one! 

photo_0002.jpg

20210226_145310.jpg

You made me cry…..but that’s okay, cause I know you will never let them be forgotten…😢

Trust me, I've been crying for both of us.  When I got Bella, it was barely a month after Liberty(cause her birthday was 4th of July,and she died on MY birthday), found a ad for Lab puppies.  In LIBERTY, NY.  So my ass went, cause that was the universe going "our bad".  So I haven't been without a dog in 22 years for less than two months total in my life.  Getting through the next month and then looking after the holidays, plus the month it's already been since Bella(I now hate Halloween), is kinda killing me.  Only good thing is I'm unemployed atm, because I'd probably punch a stupid person at this point.

18 minutes ago, pawstruck said:

The question is what the hell are we gonna do if Homecoming ever sunsets lol

The code is out there.  There may not always be Homecoming, but there will always be City of Heroes out there, somewhere.  Even if it needs to go underground again.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, pawstruck said:

The question is what the hell are we gonna do if Homecoming ever sunsets lol

I suspect that before all is said and done, we'll have a stand-alone installer with the latest HC code available so that even if HC must close down, we'll be able to continue on our own.

• Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

I suspect that before all is said and done, we'll have a stand-alone installer with the latest HC code available so that even if HC must close down, we'll be able to continue on our own.

I hope you're right about that. Not only do I not want to go through a sunset again but I've become used to the way Homecoming is set up.

What I'm really hoping is that this application will allow me to give my friends my IP address, and a password, and we'll still be able to play CoH together.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

1 minute ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

I hope you're right about that. Not only do I not want to go through a sunset again but I've become used to the way Homecoming is set up.

What I'm really hoping is that this application will allow me to give my friends my IP address, and a password, and we'll still be able to play CoH together.

I'm sure that some of the backend knowledge will have to be in play. Setting up user accts, etc. I know precisely nothing about it yet but it's sitting in my backlog.