Other sources for DDR

I was thinking while fighting off a food coma and had this idea.

What if the the 2 alpha slot abilities that gave 20% defense buff effects also gave DDR? It would be of now use to SR or any set that does not have DDR built in, but for hybrid sets like shield or invulnerability it would be good. They could have it give a 20% bonus to existing DDR so sets with 50 - 60% DDR would gain 10 - 12% extra DDR. They could also just give a flat bonus of 10%. It would not be of use to SR and I doubt 10% DDR would be of much help to sets without built in DDR.

They could also introduce an IO set (10-50) with a unique IO that gave a flat bonus to DDR. If it was a 10% bonus, again it would not be of much use if you did not have other sources of DDR, but even SR could use it at low levels and exemplared to low level when they do not have all the powers available that grant them DDR.

Now if they did both, there may be some concern about taking sets with 50-60% DDR and bumping them up to 70-80% DDR being balanced. I am not sure what 20% DDR would do for an AT like blaster if they were able to take both, though if the alpha slot gave a % bonus and the IO a flat bonus, then non DDR sets would only gain 12% DDR while sets with 50-60% DDR would gain 12-14% extra DDR if they had the IO and the alpha slot.

It might turn out useless to somewhat of use to most ATs and slightly OP for the hybrid sets.

What do you guys think?

Yeah, I think you're right that there's a pretty big danger of making it be the case that armored sets that currently can easily achieve softcap, but have a "hole" in the sense of being vulnerable to defense debuffs, just become yet more unkillable and holes plugged.

Now, it would definitely pain people to give up Musculature alpha.  It might be that even for DDR, which is sort of "the last component that a lot of people need to become unkillable," it's still not worth giving up a global 20-30% damage boost.  But I think it's generally a somewhat bad idea, given the ease of producing defense in this game, to also make it easier to come by DDR.

I think if we want to lure people away from Musculature alpha, honestly the way to do it is give other, lesser damage bonuses in other Alphas.  Or nerf the damage bonus in Musculature, of course, but I assume that would be an extremely bitter pill to swallow for people.

The best start to me seems to be adding a bunch of DDR to Force Field for starters. A rare and valuable buff that tends to come with defensive sets and a defensive buff set that struggles for relevance. A match made in heaven at first glance. Then we can talk about whether anything else should get DDR later.

I think this might actually get some to look away from Musculature and eyeball Agility and Nerve.

SR may not take it, but all those other Defense Users, including those who rely on set bonus defense may now start going "Hmmmm"

An extra 20% DDR...seems like a good start to see how it gets players picking on Alphas.

Edited by BrandX

I’d hate to see additional sources of DDR in the games available through IOs or the incarnate system, would make the hybrid armor sets even more insane. I’d be in favor of removing it from Ageless Radial path even. Adding it to force field might give the set some usefulness but I’m not sure if it would be too good or not, guess it would depend on how high the value was. Defense debuffs are one of the few avenues mobs have to be dangerous to us these days.

... as an aside, I will forever interpret this as Dance Dance Revolution.

• Thanks 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I understand that this is heretical to many, but I really don't want *more* sources of DDR, or other forms of power creep that enable every single build to be tank mages.

I'm saying this not to pick a fight, but just to post an opposing position so that the developers see that there is a contrary opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Who run Bartertown?

8 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I understand that this is heretical to many, but I really don't want *more* sources of DDR, or other forms of power creep that enable every single build to be tank mages.

I'm saying this not to pick a fight, but just to post an opposing position so that the developers see that there is a contrary opinion.

It'd change increase some defense for loss of damage.  Resist sets already grab Alphas for more resist, if they don't grab those Alphas for more Defense/Recharge.

Though, perhaps they could make just Nerve have the DDR and not Agility?

There's already an incarnate option for DDR. Leave it be. Game's too farkin easy already. Let's not make the situation worse. My shield/nrg tank doesn't need to be even more unkillable.

Edit: No, I'm not against FF users granting some DDR. Makes sense.

Edited by Bill Z Bubba

10 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I'm with you. I feel like I have to post every new build I try out as "yes, I know it's not softcapped. No, I don't care."

Not everything has to be functionally immortal to be fun. 

@Aurora Girl - Excelsior - BSOD
 Aurora Girl  (Blaster)- Energy/Atomic, Queen of Faceplants and former Mayor of Pinnacle Server  Straye  (Brute)- Savage/SR, Survivor of +4 ITF Nictus Crystals and Bobcat's Bane  Aurora Snow  (Corruptor) - Ice/Cold, AV Humiliator  Terraflux  (Controller) - Earth/Rad, Bass Exploder  Spynerette  (Arachnos Soldier) - Night Widow, Super Spy of Sneakiness and Stabbing  Snowberrie  (Tank) - Ice/Spines, Disco Ball and Lady of Winter