Post TF/Trial Commendations

Itsyagirl

One of the best things about City of Heroes is its excellent community. Whether running random radio missions with a PUG or answering the call for an iTrial, teams are where some of the best content in the game lies.

Another wonderful thing about CoX is how much self-expression it allows for. Between powerset selection, name, bio, badges, titles, power customisation, and so on... everyone has a chance to stand out. You're never "just another human warrior".

Given the above, I think an addition that would play excellently off both of these would be a Commendation system.

The way it would work is that after you complete a Task Force or Trial with a team, a pop up window appears (probably right after the results screen). On this screen would be a list of each of your teammates, along with a selection of checkboxes for each one. Something similar to this:

Would you like to recognise any of your team's achievements?

1. LGBT Plus Ultra | o Friendly | o Helpful | o Powerful | o Great costume | o Good roleplay | o Leadership

2. Bullets Fly | o Friendly | o Helpful | o Powerful | o Great costume | o Good roleplay | o Leadership

...and so on and so forth. You would be able to check, say, 2 or 3 of these per character, so you're not stuck picking between two options.

Then you would receive a pop up with "Your team gave you: 2 Friendly, 1 Good roleplay commendations!"

There probably wouldn't be any reward associated with this. In fact, commends should probably be hidden from other players unless you choose to make them visible (just in case people decide to start gatekeeping). Maybe, at most, a badge you can earn for giving or receiving X commendations.

The only reason I wouldn't also suggest this for general teaming is the question of when you give commendations. After every radio mission? That would get repetitive.

I think this would help strengthen the community, as well as offering a regular dose of delicious endorphins when you see the commendation notification pop up in the corner of the screen.

• Like 2

LGBT Plus Ultra on Everlasting.

Maybe it could pop up once you've left the team only, and if it had been one of those revolving door radio teams, it would just go ahead and list everyone who was on that team with you.  I mean, I dunno we NEED such a thing, but then again I don't see any problem with it either.  If some dev wants to put in the time.  I do like the idea that there couldn't be any griefing in there as these are all "positive" possible choices.  Like player notes and its stars, no one else would see it later, etc.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

*winces*

Sorry, but I'll be honest. I cringe whenever I see this sort of thing.

Plus, personally, I'd just close the box and not say anything about anyone. I'll keep my player notes to myself. This just ... sounds and feels like an unneeded drama trigger.

• Thumbs Up 6

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

5 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Maybe it could pop up once you've left the team only, and if it had been one of those revolving door radio teams, it would just go ahead and list everyone who was on that team with you.  I mean, I dunno we NEED such a thing, but then again I don't see any problem with it either.  If some dev wants to put in the time.  I do like the idea that there couldn't be any griefing in there as these are all "positive" possible choices.  Like player notes and its stars, no one else would see it later, etc.

Ugh, I wouldn't suggest this for radio missions. I can imagine the list that pops up for some radio teams (where folks come and go at the speed of light) to be 20+ names long in some instances. I would just insta close the window or set a setting to not have it ever pop up (which SHOULD be included if this were implemented). 

Going through a list of 20+ names, where you may or may not even remember who that person was who was on your team 5-10 radio missions ago? Ain't no body got time for that. 😛 

Edited by golstat2003

8 minutes ago, golstat2003 said:

Ugh, I wouldn't suggest this for radio missions. I can imagine the list that pops up for some radio teams (where folks come and go at the speed of light) to be 20+ names long in some instances. I would just insta close the window or set a setting to not have it ever pop up (which SHOULD be included if this were implemented). 

Going through a list of 20+ names, where you may or may not even remember who that person was who was on your team 5-10 radio missions ago? Ain't no body got time for that. 😛 

Then you click the "done" button without clicking a single option and go about your day.  Like player notes, no one needs to do it nor ever think about it.  You know, if we had this.  I'm not sure I'd use it much myself (like Player Notes) but on the other hand, it might be nice to have once in awhile.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

1 minute ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Then you click the "done" button without clicking a single option and go about your day.  Like player notes, no one needs to do it nor ever think about it.  You know, if we had this.  I'm not sure I'd use it much myself (like Player Notes) but on the other hand, it might be nice to have once in awhile.

There should be a setting if this is ever implemented that is set to "off" for all. This should be something each players OPTs into. I should not have to click anything if I never even want to see it. I would still only recommend this for TFs/SFs.

• Thumbs Up 1

They have this on world of tanks,  its not my favorite feature.  And even with only positive choices,  people will use no selection as their negative option.  Combine that with others who just close it right away and you will have people wondering what they did wrong to receive no up votes.

It doesnt solve anything and has potential to cause a few problems so im not on board with this one.  But with that said,  i wish it could work but it just never does.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/23/2022 at 6:53 AM, Itsyagirl said:

One of the best things about City of Heroes is its excellent community. Whether running random radio missions with a PUG or answering the call for an iTrial, teams are where some of the best content in the game lies.

Another wonderful thing about CoX is how much self-expression it allows for. Between powerset selection, name, bio, badges, titles, power customisation, and so on... everyone has a chance to stand out. You're never "just another human warrior".

Given the above, I think an addition that would play excellently off both of these would be a Commendation system.

The way it would work is that after you complete a Task Force or Trial with a team, a pop up window appears (probably right after the results screen). On this screen would be a list of each of your teammates, along with a selection of checkboxes for each one. Something similar to this:

Would you like to recognise any of your team's achievements?

1. LGBT Plus Ultra | o Friendly | o Helpful | o Powerful | o Great costume | o Good roleplay | o Leadership

2. Bullets Fly | o Friendly | o Helpful | o Powerful | o Great costume | o Good roleplay | o Leadership

...and so on and so forth. You would be able to check, say, 2 or 3 of these per character, so you're not stuck picking between two options.

Then you would receive a pop up with "Your team gave you: 2 Friendly, 1 Good roleplay commendations!"

There probably wouldn't be any reward associated with this. In fact, commends should probably be hidden from other players unless you choose to make them visible (just in case people decide to start gatekeeping). Maybe, at most, a badge you can earn for giving or receiving X commendations.

The only reason I wouldn't also suggest this for general teaming is the question of when you give commendations. After every radio mission? That would get repetitive.

I think this would help strengthen the community, as well as offering a regular dose of delicious endorphins when you see the commendation notification pop up in the corner of the screen.

I'd be down if this was a player-seen-only feature, similar to adding stars/notes. Not a bad idea though, would be helpful for future content if I saw folks who I rated highly looking for a team. And if it was player-seen-only feature, it'd be fine to add "did not help team" "got in to trouble" etc type negatives. But like others have noted, we can already do this with stars/notes.

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

12 minutes ago, golstat2003 said:

There should be a setting if this is ever implemented that is set to "off" for all. This should be something each players OPTs into. I should not have to click anything if I never even want to see it. I would still only recommend this for TFs/SFs.

You make it sound like tyranny!  If it's run like Player Notes, again, you won't have to deal if you don't want to.

Go have fun!

5 hours ago, Crasical said:

PMing 'Nice costume!' to fashionable strangers is something people should do more of, though. 'Nice Bio!' for the good writers too. Always makes my day when people compliment my characters.

This, though I generally get it for names (Rez Dispenser and Pebbles Go Bam Bam seem to get the most comments, honestly.) I'd rather have someone say it because hey, they liked it and wanted to say something than have something show up in their face they may feel obligated to fill in.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Please no to the OP. If I have to rate people at the end of something, I'd lose my mind. (What is LGBT Plus Ultra anyway?) If I see a costume that wows me, I send a message. If I read a bio that impresses me, I send a message. (If I read a bio that hurts to read, I send some suggestions instead, but thank them for at least having a bio.) If I get a message from someone saying they like my character's appearance or bio, I'm happy. Let's keep it to the players to send messages, not put in a rating system for what our characters look like or how they fared on that TF/SF/trial. It then becomes a competition for up ratings, often with bitter feelings when they are not received, rather than a community just running around and playing together with the odd comment about our costumes and bios.