Jump to content

Power Build Up and Power Boost Is Bugged


MasterHawks
 Share

Recommended Posts

Power Build Up from the epic pool power set Power Mastery and Power Boost from the Epic Pool Power Set Soul Mastery that is given to Defenders will not work on Ice Shield and Glaciel Shield. However will work on Farsight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MasterHawks said:

Power Build Up from the epic pool power set Power Mastery and Power Boost from the Epic Pool Power Set Soul Mastery that is given to Defenders will not work on Ice Shield and Glaciel Shield. However will work on Farsight.

That's working as intended. Powers that provide enhanceable resistance (like ice shields) are flagged to ignore outside boosts, which includes PBU and PB.

  • Thumbs Up 3

PPM Information Guide                Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Movement Speed: Guide              Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers


Bopper's Tools & Formulas           RubyRed's API Tool              Mids' Reborn                       

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Incorrect. If this statement was correct. Then Arctic Fog would not be affected with Power Boost. Ice Shield and Glacial Shield do indeed increase Resistance to Cold and Fire. But Im refering to the Defense Boost gain that Power Boost clearly states it gives to all defensive powers. It says nowhere in the text of power boost that it will not work on some powers. Look at it from my point of view. I spent 1bil of influence and my time on my beloved character that I had on live that worked perfectly fine on live. To hear that some unwriten rule about Power Boost is working as intended. Nah I refuse to beleive its working as intended when it worked just fine on live.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, sorry about that, the City of Heroes devs did it on purpose. Questionable design decision, though (they could've made the piddly resist unenhanceable instead). And not documented anywhere in game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MasterHawks said:

Incorrect. If this statement was correct. Then Arctic Fog would not be affected with Power Boost. Ice Shield and Glacial Shield do indeed increase Resistance to Cold and Fire. But Im refering to the Defense Boost gain that Power Boost clearly states it gives to all defensive powers. It says nowhere in the text of power boost that it will not work on some powers. Look at it from my point of view. I spent 1bil of influence and my time on my beloved character that I had on live that worked perfectly fine on live. To hear that some unwriten rule about Power Boost is working as intended. Nah I refuse to beleive its working as intended when it worked just fine on live.

Can you provide any screenshots or ingame data to help explain to others who are experiencing this issue what the problem is? 

 

Have you heard of the beta shard? You can copy a character on to it (or just create a character there) to test out builds or niche ideas and not have to spend billions of influence or much of your time to do so. 

 

 

 

Power details and descriptions:

---

Power Boost from the Patron Pool: https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=epic.corruptor_soul_mastery.power_boost

---

Controller Arctic Fog: https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=controller_buff.cold_domination.arctic_fog&at=controller

Corruptor Arctic Fog: https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=corruptor_buff.cold_domination.arctic_fog&at=corruptor

Defender Arctic Fog: https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=defender_buff.cold_domination.arctic_fog&at=defender

Mastermind Arctic Fog: https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=mastermind_buff.cold_domination.arctic_fog&at=mastermind

Edited by Glacier Peak
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MasterHawks said:

Incorrect. If this statement was correct. Then Arctic Fog would not be affected with Power Boost. Ice Shield and Glacial Shield do indeed increase Resistance to Cold and Fire. But Im refering to the Defense Boost gain that Power Boost clearly states it gives to all defensive powers. It says nowhere in the text of power boost that it will not work on some powers. Look at it from my point of view. I spent 1bil of influence and my time on my beloved character that I had on live that worked perfectly fine on live. To hear that some unwriten rule about Power Boost is working as intended. Nah I refuse to beleive its working as intended when it worked just fine on live.

But it is working as intended. If it’s boosting Arctic Fog, though, that sounds like a bug.

 

You can say you refuse to believe it but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s a well known truth. I’d suggest working on accepting it 🙂

Edited by arcane
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MasterHawks said:

Incorrect. If this statement was correct. Then Arctic Fog would not be affected with Power Boost

Arctic Fog is not affected by Power Boost. All versions of Arctic Fog are flagged to ignore external buffs.

  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

PPM Information Guide                Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Movement Speed: Guide              Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers


Bopper's Tools & Formulas           RubyRed's API Tool              Mids' Reborn                       

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a long standing issue, since issue 0, with how +/- resist and +/- damage are coded and linked together internally.  Changing it requires completely rewriting all the internal code, effectively rewriting the entire powers system and who knows how much more of the game internals.  Significant progress has been made in that direction, but we may never get all the way there.

 

If PB/PBU were allowed to buff those bubbles or similar powers, they would also buff or debuff offensive damage of the same type as the resist, becoming an unintended extremely long term damage buff (or debuff) to that damage type.  As an example, a Clarion*PBU*Cold Bubble buffed Ice/Ice/Ice Blaster could have a nearly permanent roughly +75 damage buff, which is roughly equivalent to perma BU.  This was considered undesirable, so they marked the powers as unbuffable.  At the time, it was not possible to mark the one aspect of the power unbuffable.  With all the powers revisions that have been done since i25, it might be possible now, it might not, you'd have to talk to the powers guys.   I expect that is one of their goals.

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

Angel Hornet (link)   -   Solo Vicious ASF (link)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Linea said:

This is a long standing issue, since issue 0, with how +/- resist and +/- damage are coded and linked together internally.  Changing it requires completely rewriting all the internal code, effectively rewriting the entire powers system and who knows how much more of the game internals.  Significant progress has been made in that direction, but we may never get all the way there.

 

If PB/PBU were allowed to buff those bubbles or similar powers, they would also buff or debuff offensive damage of the same type as the resist, becoming an unintended extremely long term damage buff (or debuff) to that damage type.  As an example, a Clarion*PBU*Cold Bubble buffed Ice/Ice/Ice Blaster could have a nearly permanent roughly +75 damage buff, which is roughly equivalent to perma BU.  This was considered undesirable, so they marked the powers as unbuffable.  At the time, it was not possible to mark the one aspect of the power unbuffable.  With all the powers revisions that have been done since i25, it might be possible now, it might not, you'd have to talk to the powers guys.   I expect that is one of their goals.

We saw this problem with Fade back when that was not flagged to ignore external buffs. You were able to use Power Boost to buff the defense in fade, but you were able to use Soul Drain, Damage inspirations, etc to buff your damage strength and that strength got fed into the resistance of Fade. So you were able to hard cap your resistances and softcap your defenses trivially. 

Edited by Bopper

PPM Information Guide                Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Movement Speed: Guide              Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers


Bopper's Tools & Formulas           RubyRed's API Tool              Mids' Reborn                       

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MasterHawks said:

Im assuming since it worked on live. That it was an issue with the Beta Server since Homecoming copied over the Beta server.


It never worked on live.  You’re misremembering.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, MasterHawks said:

Im assuming since it worked on live. That it was an issue with the Beta Server since Homecoming copied over the Beta server.

I'm looking at the web archive of the original City of Data and it shows in 2014 that the power was set to Ignore External Buffs. So unless the SCoRE developers fixed that between 2012 (sunset) and 2014, this implementation is the same as it was on Live.


PPM Information Guide                Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Movement Speed: Guide              Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers


Bopper's Tools & Formulas           RubyRed's API Tool              Mids' Reborn                       

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Power Boost doesn't affect powers with resistance baked in.  Always has been and always shall be.  You're likely misremembering, it has been a long time since live.  

 

Buuuuutt since we have @Bopper here I'd like to get some clarifying on TA's EMP Arrow and Power Build Up.  Seeing how it gives resistance to players but also is dual nature in that it debuffs enemies does power boosting affect the -regen portion since resistance technically isn't in the enemy affecting portion or is it all just prohibited due to the player resistance buff?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Mezmera said:

Buuuuutt since we have @Bopper here I'd like to get some clarifying on TA's EMP Arrow and Power Build Up.  Seeing how it gives resistance to players but also is dual nature in that it debuffs enemies does power boosting affect the -regen portion since resistance technically isn't in the enemy affecting portion or is it all just prohibited due to the player resistance buff?

 

EMP arrow does not have enhanceable resistance, so the resistance effects are flagged to ignore strength buffs, instead of requiring the entire power be set to ignore outside buffs.

 

However, because the resistance is provided from a pseudopet while the debuff/hold is a separate executed power, the pseudopet could be flagged to ignore outside buffs. The debuff/hold would not, which would allow for buffs from powers like Power Boost.

Edited by Bopper
  • Like 1

PPM Information Guide                Survivability Tool                  Interface DoT Procs Guide

Time Manipulation Guide             Bopper Builds                      +HP/+Regen Proc Cheat Sheet

Movement Speed: Guide              Recharge Guide                   Base Empowerment: Temp Powers


Bopper's Tools & Formulas           RubyRed's API Tool              Mids' Reborn                       

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MasterHawks said:

Im assuming since it worked on live. That it was an issue with the Beta Server since Homecoming copied over the Beta server.

Power Boost has never worked on any of the powers you've claimed it worked on.

1 hour ago, Mezmera said:

Seeing how it gives resistance to players but also is dual nature in that it debuffs enemies does power boosting affect the -regen portion since resistance technically isn't in the enemy affecting portion or is it all just prohibited due to the player resistance buff?

Power Boost doesn't affect -regen, period.

Edited by macskull

@macskull/@Not Mac

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 28JAN22)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

Twitch | Youtube

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, macskull said:

Power Boost doesn't affect -regen, period.

 

Okay good to know, it's my first defender so be gentle :classic_tongue:

 

So it really only affects the hold portion.  Big whoop I can just hop to my dom for that. 

 

This is still a great power for me otherwise and I was already under the impression Power Build Up did nothing for me anyways on this one but if it did do something good for EMP Arrow I would just wait to use it when PBU is active. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mezmera said:

Okay good to know, it's my first defender so be gentle :classic_tongue:

 

So it really only affects the hold portion.  Big whoop I can just hop to my dom for that. 

 

This is still a great power for me otherwise and I was already under the impression Power Build Up did nothing for me anyways on this one but if it did do something good for EMP Arrow I would just wait to use it when PBU is active. 

If it did, it would possibly affect the hold portion and maybe (depending on how the power is coded) boost the magnitude of mez protection you get from the Faraday cage effect, since Power Boost does boost mag for other mez protection powers. Neither of those are particularly useful and I'm still convinced the only support set that really gets any decent mileage out of Power Boost in a PvE build is Time Manip.

@macskull/@Not Mac

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 28JAN22)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

Twitch | Youtube

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, macskull said:

If it did, it would possibly affect the hold portion and maybe (depending on how the power is coded) boost the magnitude of mez protection you get from the Faraday cage effect, since Power Boost does boost mag for other mez protection powers. Neither of those are particularly useful and I'm still convinced the only support set that really gets any decent mileage out of Power Boost in a PvE build is Time Manip.

 

Oh buddy you should see my new TA/DP.  I'm not relying so much on it for TA's stuff but for my pools and that 80% dmg plus the Gaussian proc always firing even with that whole set +5 in PBU.  It's nice to have a Build Up power to fill in for DP's lack of one.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've done that.  One of my older versions of Kiski used PBU as a build-up.   These days I prefer Souldrain, the one with the shortest recharge that you can almost perma, and guassian proc it ... *evil grin*

Edited by Linea

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

Angel Hornet (link)   -   Solo Vicious ASF (link)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was looking at PB/PBU from a +special perspective - I wasn't even looking at it from a +dam perspective because Soul Drain exists and is the superior choice unless you do a lot of AV/GM soloing. Doesn't play as well with sets with lots of cones but... those sets are for the birds anyways. >.>

Edited by macskull

@macskull/@Not Mac

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 28JAN22)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

Twitch | Youtube

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Linea said:

I've done that.  One of my older versions of Kiski used PBU as a build-up.   These days I prefer Souldrain, the one with the shortest recharge that you can almost perma, and guassian proc it ... *evil grin*

 

Yeah I'm a big Soul Drain advocate.  My doms almost always go Soul.  TA is just such a busy set I don't have time fidgeting with Soul Drain with all those arrows I need to layer and I have good pbaoe damage already.  So I found the coinciding power boosting effect along with the damage boost to be big.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/4/2022 at 1:45 PM, Apparition said:


It never worked on live.  You’re misremembering.

It did work on live end of discussion. I am not a noob bro. I was the top player accross all servers and been playing since beta before hami IOs. I unoffically tested plenty of things for the NCsoft Devs and GMs so dont treat me like I have no idea what im talking about. Back before Ice Shield and Glacial Shield and Speed Boost hit multible allies on a single cast. IS and GS gave a increased defense buff after using power boost. This may have been a bug that I thought wasnt one so I didnt report it and might of been fixed after that. but all of you attacking me and being negative is completely uncalled for. It's COH and its back and we should be supportive but I guess it makes you all feel better to talk down to someone with Autism and call him dumb and that his thinking and or memory is wrong.

 

If the reason why power boost no longer works on or intended to work on cold defensive powers is because the resistance in the powers. Just remove the resistances in the powers. Cant say the first thought that came into my mind when I picked up Glacial Shield and Ice shield was. I cant wait to give others 25% Cold Resist and 10% Fire Resist. Or defection Shield giving 40% Toxic. Arctic Fog however gives a 20% base to fire/cold/energy which is worth slotting with Resistance cause your not slotting resistance in two powers that give minor resistances.

  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, MasterHawks said:

It did work on live end of discussion. I am not a noob bro. I was the top player accross all servers and been playing since beta before hami IOs. I unoffically tested plenty of things for the NCsoft Devs and GMs so dont treat me like I have no idea what im talking about. Back before Ice Shield and Glacial Shield and Speed Boost hit multible allies on a single cast. IS and GS gave a increased defense buff after using power boost. This may have been a bug that I thought wasnt one so I didnt report it and might of been fixed after that. but all of you attacking me and being negative is completely uncalled for. It's COH and its back and we should be supportive but I guess it makes you all feel better to talk down to someone with Autism and call him dumb and that his thinking and or memory is wrong.

 

If the reason why power boost no longer works on or intended to work on cold defensive powers is because the resistance in the powers. Just remove the resistances in the powers. Cant say the first thought that came into my mind when I picked up Glacial Shield and Ice shield was. I cant wait to give others 25% Cold Resist and 10% Fire Resist. Or defection Shield giving 40% Toxic. Arctic Fog however gives a 20% base to fire/cold/energy which is worth slotting with Resistance cause your not slotting resistance in two powers that give minor resistances.

Hey brotato chip, I’ve played since live launch too, and I’m also on your spectrum. I don’t remember this ever working like you claim. One of us is wrong and I’ve gassed far too many brain cells with weed fumes since then to be 100% sure of who. No harm done man it’s ok.

 

I don’t think they’ll remove the cold resistance. How about you switch to proc bombed Dominate since it’s better anyway. But most importantly I glanced back up the thread and nobody called you dumb. You good.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...