I want a glass cannon

Gentoo

If I recall correctly, the original blaster inherent was a glass cannon type thing where the lower health you had the more damage you did.

I think I may have been one of the very few who really liked that concept.

In current game, what build would be the most "glass cannon"?

Is it doable to an extreme?

39 minutes ago, Gentoo said:

If I recall correctly, the original blaster inherent was a glass cannon type thing where the lower health you had the more damage you did.

More focus on single target, or AoE?

5 hours ago, Gentoo said:

the fire fire blaster  trades any mitigation for more damage works in close enjoy

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Most blaster builds get caught up in chasing a defense softcap that while helpful has significant tradeoffs in offensive output. If you're looking for a blaster that is going for maximum damage output, I would put an emphasis on the philosophies around slotting choices over the actual primary and secondary decision at character creation. 

• Like 3

Currently on fire.

34 minutes ago, DreadShinobi said:

Most blaster builds get caught up in chasing a defense softcap that while helpful has significant tradeoffs in offensive output. If you're looking for a blaster that is going for maximum damage output, I would put an emphasis on the philosophies around slotting choices over the actual primary and secondary decision at character creation. 

But the secondary effect for "fire" is "MOAR DAMAGE!"...

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Gentoo said:

The problem is the risk vs reward mechanic gets messed up when you factor in IO set bonuses, pool powers, and Incarnate abilities...

• Like 1

My weird suggestion: consider a Corruptor with one of the riskier Blast sets and a secondary set that doesn't provide the caster a lot of protection or healing.

The set that really stands out to me as the "are you crazy" set is Radiation Blast. Your Fireball-like power is a PBAoE. Most Fire Blasters can fall back and hover blast most of their careers without too much tradeoff. Not Radiation Blasters though! There's some minor mezz in other the nuke and T3 blast, but otherwise staying upright means fighting on your toes.

One secondary that leans into this all-in style would be something like Cold Domination. There's some slows, a tiny amount of Defense and exotic Resist, a bit of knockdown, and the rest is allllll debuff. Corruptors don't get the Defender ATO heal, either (they get a Recovery and a Damage proc instead). 

If you don't like Cold, another debuffing set with a similar crazy style is Poison. Don't let the buff powers in that set fool you, it's a difficult set to leverage with legit good rewards if you can master it,

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, oedipus_tex said:

Corruptors don't get the Defender ATO heal, either (they get a Recovery and a Damage proc instead). 

Scorging Blast's proc is a +HP/+End similar to Panacea, though I think it applies both when it procs.  It's not nearly as effective as either Defender proc, but still better than nothing.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

3 hours ago, TurboRaptor said:

Fire/Fire/Fire

With a KB > KD IO in Bonfire.

Trust me on this. It turns a neat, but not very useful, area denial power into a soft control patch that does more damage than Rain of Fire.

• Like 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

2 hours ago, Menelruin said:

I have one of these builds as a non-blapper, but I'm not sure it's full "glass cannon."  It's also specced for all ranged, not blapping. 

It does way more damage as a Blapper, and is way more living on the edge.  If you take a glass cannon and hide it behind a steel way 50 yards away then no, you will not get the glass cannon experience.  You also will not do as much damage.

• Like 2

• 1 month later

An energy blaster is maximum glass cannon. Because the mean words people have for you are more damaging than any mob or AV, and you must endure. Without KB -> KD I/O's. Without muting the team chat. Volunteering for every team that's formed.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

The idiot formerly known as Lord Khorak

13 hours ago, SaintD said:

An energy blaster is maximum glass cannon. Because the mean words people have for you are more damaging than any mob or AV, and you must endure. Without KB -> KD I/O's. Without muting the team chat. Volunteering for every team that's formed.

Unless you're a sadist, like me, and you just enjoy torturing crybabies who don't like knockback.  😁

• Haha 3