Superteam

0th Power

PvE, leveling 1-50, doing misions, TF, etc.

I see what you did there. Since your reply to my query for detail on was to retype "playing the game" in a different way, I will give you the best and only response to your inquiry:

Anything that is super-fun for you.

There, you're ready to be a super-hero!

It really wasn't.  i (thought I) clarified that the team would level from 1 to 50 doing missions and TFs.  Any random ATs are not synergistic.  Would stacking -def from /radiation controller and dark/ defender be better than one with -def and maybe a sonic with -res?  Would you have a brute or tank?  Would you fill in holes in other's sets or boost what they do best?

Im not asking for a gimme, im opening a discussion.

4 Kinetics/Radiation Defenders.

Or anything else really :D

EDIT my bad. I just noticed no repeat ATs.

So 4 different ATs with various combos of Kinetics and radiation.

Or anything else, really.

Ok well maybe not literally any random AT 4-way. But asking for THE MOST synergistic is a bit like asking ‘what’s the best way to have a stroll in this park?’

Maybe ‘can you recommend some good synergies across powersets and ATs I can think of when I and my 3 SG mates are creating our new super squad’ would be a better way to go about it. Because CoH has a lot of different ways to be ‘the best’ in all sorts of aspects.

It really wasn't.  i (thought I) clarified that the team would level from 1 to 50 doing missions and TFs.  Any random ATs are not synergistic.  Would stacking -def from /radiation controller and dark/ defender be better than one with -def and maybe a sonic with -res?  Would you have a brute or tank?  Would you fill in holes in other's sets or boost what they do best?

Im not asking for a gimme, im opening a discussion.

It’s the beauty of the game, is any AT makes for a great team. I’ll let others decide if there is a best combo, but you can’t go wrong with any of the AT’s.

Check out Zoglar's great guide on how CoH is really different than other MMO'S.  If you like it be sure to give him +1 inf.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,1748.0.html

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I'd go with some combination of trollers and corrs, primaries as you wish, with kin, time, dark, cold. Maybe one an ill troller on the off chance you run into something that really needs tanking, but with darkest night and the time aura running that's unlikely. Rad or storm can sub in according to personal preference.

Hmmm.

Def, Brute, Cont, Blaster

Controller, Sentinel, Tank, Scrapper

Dominator, Brute, MM, PB

I mean, so many combos that would work.

I think as long as you get something thats a little tanky, and something that has some heals, you can handle just about anything the game throws at you.

Excelsior - Grey Scale 50+ Emp/Dark Def - Thermal Meltdown 50+ Rad/Fire Brute - Old Growth 50+ Plant Troll - Enrico Fermi 50+ Rad Blaster

While it is true that the entire game can be played and enjoyed with any of the billions of combinations of power sets it can be argued that a group exists the maximizes all possible buffs / debuffs.  I don't know if it can be done with only 4 players.

Therefore I propose the following (and a single toon could be in more than one category):

1. Any AT with -ToHit powers

2. Any AT with +ToHit powers

3. Any AT with -Regen powers

4. Any AT with +Regen powers

5. Any AT primary DPS

6. Any AT primary CC (either hard CC or taunt)

7. Mix of all damage types (Smash, Lethal, Eng, Fire, etc...)

I would think that make up would be able to trivialize any content in missions 1 - 50 and all TF/SF.

Fire/rad controller and corruptor. Kin/sonic defender. Stone/* tank. Could min/max maybe a bit more, but that's rather solid.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

There might actually be a sort of answer to this.

After all, once you hit soft caps in +DEF & -TOHIT across damage types or designations then adding more of that isn't really helping. You are probably better with a sonic defender and a bubble defender (assuming they both know what they are doing with their build) than two of either.

Once you have all the Recovery you need to fire anything you have at any time more Recovery doesn't help (and most high level players build around sustainable builds anyway, so they don't actually get anything out of these buffs except to compensate perhaps for someone supplying a lot of +RCHG).

I have no idea if there is a cap on +RCHG... get a group of 8 KIN defenders together and test it.

Because of the way the game mechanics work, (the clamp and the streak breaker) a team of 8 defs for all the amazing power, couldn't tank Lord Recluse. He will hit and it will wipe people out. And even that team, once they hit the defender max of 400% damage there's no more damage to get. How many Sonics are needed for that? At cap, you are better off adding Brutes, Blasters or Scrappers... probably Fire since you'd have all the secondary effects you need already. (Apparently there is a way to get broadsword stalkers to crit in crazy ways, but I don't know if crits allow you to by pass the damage cap.)

Once an AV can't Regen, then that's a sort of max as well.

Anyway, I suspect that there might actually be a perfectly balance (or several variants of balance) I suspect it is around 5 or 6 Defenders of a variety of types and then 2 or 3 brutes unleashing holy heck in a handbasket locked at max damage.

Svengjuk, Formerly Alice, Empty Man, EM Riptide, Silver Mouse, and many more... SG: Hero Dawn

What would be the most synergistic superteam of 4? (no repeat AT)

Since some can't seem to understand a simple question without trying to make things complicated, let me answer for you.

Any Tank, although I would prefer an Ice/Stone Tank.

Any AoE heavy Blaster.

A /Kin Controller

A /Dark Corruptor.

You will never need anything else.

best combo? a melee defense (tank or brute), a melee offense (scrapper or brute or stalker), a ranged damage (blaster, sentinel, defender ect), and a buffer/debuffer (controller/dominator or corrupter/defender). yes, a number of AT fit in multiple places. almost anything works together, is the wonderful beauty of this game.

I do think this is a rather fascinating question, especially 4 vs. 8.

Basically, you want to do the following:

--Cap Damage

--Cap -Resist

--Don't die

--Maximize AOE damage potential with sets and high AT base modifiers.

It is interesting because defenders contribute most strongly to 1 and 2, and a pretty large amount to number 3 as well.  Number 4 is best with blasters, brutes or scrappers though, and number 3 gets maximized by having a brute or tank due to the higher resist cap.

With no repeat Archetypes, I would say Controller, Brute, Defender and Corrupter.

Run a Sonic/Sonic Defender+Sonic/Sonic Corrupter, Fire/Kin controller, Fire/Fire Brute.

Everyone takes the full leadership pool.  The brute provides an anchor for the two disruption fields, the Kin boosts damage, and everyone just AOEs all over everything.  The brute should be running at the Resist cap more or less across the board.  Stuff will usually be running at around a ~-80% resist debuff from 2x Howl and 2x disruption field, but when you go to kill an AV or any target that lives more than 2 or 3 seconds, you'll hit -200% for an effective 3x multiplier to the team's damage.

Expanding to a full team of 8 and duplicating up ATs, I would add a Sonic/Cold Corrupter to help out with +defense, -Regen and get the rest of the way to the -Res cap vs. AVs, then 3 Sonic/Whatever blasters.  You should floor the -Resist of a single target within ~5 seconds or so with this team while fulcrum shifting to the damage cap, at which point the Blasters will be nuking for 5000 damage with dreadful wail before level adjustments.  Pretty much everything will just turn into a puddle of goo in seconds.

Shield Tank/Brute and a shield scrapper, since you can synergize grant cover to help each other and the team with extra defense.

Defender, Corruptor, Controller or Dominator with Powers that buff resists since those shields will have their defense above the soft cap.

4th could be An Aoe Centric Blaster, Sentinel or Mastermind.

Really, any Combination of AT's working together is going to be very formidable.

Generally the best superteams just stack support sets. So with four different ATs you'd want a Defender, a Corruptor, a Controller and a Mastermind.

Now which support sets? Well the two critical bits you want are -regen and mez protection. Traps has both but it's also a weird set and a bit of a late bloomer so you might prefer something else. So instead I'd suggest Sonic and Radiation. Radiation is a good -regen set and it's a bit more aggressive than Dark. Sonic and Force Field are the other sets with AoE mez protection, I'm recommending Sonic since it's easier to stack defense than resistance from other sources. Now two more sets you want Kinetics for damage and Time is a great choice for a fourth set, it makes everything better.

Now for the other sets you want fire. So Fire Blast for the Defender and Corruptor, Fire Control for the Controller and Demons for the Mastermind (Robots are also good but Demons will be more thematic with the rest of the team.

Now putting it all together you have:

Demons/Time Mastermind (this guy is your tank)

Fire/Radiation Controller (a classic of the genre)

Fire/Kinetic Corruptor (maxed damage for everyone)

Sonic/Fire Defender (keeping the team protected from mezzes plus you probably want the highest possible resistance shields so stick it on the Defender)

You can probably swap around the support sets without much impact, although I would definitely suggest keeping Time on the Mastermind since it will synergize well keeping him in melee range.

Early game the to hit debuffs from Time and the heals from Time and Rad will be what keeps you alive, but once you get into the 30s you should be able to stack Farsight with quad-maneuvers to get good defenses going and the resistances and heals will take care of the rest. After that it's a case of increasing damage as much as possible through buffs and debuffs.

EDIT: You could convienably replace one of the characters with either of the VEATs if you want someone who's a bit blastier with team support.

Defender Smash!

Shield Tank/Brute and a shield scrapper, since you can synergize grant cover to help each other and the team with extra defense.

I never thought about the advantage of having two shield guys in the same team. Yeah, that's solid DEF in the maths. Usually two of something would be overkill and you'd want to balance with some other secondary, but that's a special case. I'd probably go Brute and Scrapper or even Brute and Stalker given what I read about the crazy output of the Broadsword/Shield Stalker.

Svengjuk, Formerly Alice, Empty Man, EM Riptide, Silver Mouse, and many more... SG: Hero Dawn