Original CoH player here, just discovered Homecoming, have Scrapper questions...

Stormwalker

On 5/9/2022 at 1:52 PM, Stormwalker said:

1). Which secondary sets are the best choices for performance in a low-inf build until I can earn enough to build my characters out properly?  I seem to recall SR needs a lot of IO help to really achieve its potential. 

Depends on what you mean by "a lot" but it's pretty simple: Take Tough/Weave. Two-slot Tough with the two Unique +Def from Gladiators and Steadfast. Slot up Weave and your 3 toggles. (And take all 3 passives and one or two slot them with Defense.) Then just 6-slot a couple each of Eradication, Touch of Death, and Mako's Bite and BAM soft-cap. When you have inf up the wazoo you can switch to the Scrapper ATOs and some Winter sets.

On 5/10/2022 at 12:27 PM, UltraAlt said:

The Market/Auction House works the same way as business/markets/stocks do in the real world. Some create products for sale.  Some buy and sell stock. And then there are the Ebil Marketers.

So you can "attune" enhancement set enhancements. You can buy enhances that are already attuned on the market or you can attune a non-attuned - non-purple enhancement with a catalyst.

Let say you get a drop for a level 20 IO of some type. You create it. Your character is level 20 so you can slot it. You slot it. As you level, it doesn't level with you. It remains level 20.

If you have an enhancement catalyst in salvage, you can go into your slotting/enhancement management screen and then go into the subscreen that you would usually use to combine enhancements. Once you are in that screen, pull the level 20 IO into the tray like you would to combine. You should see the catalyst on the upper left. Drag that down onto the enhancement and it will attune it.

Now when you level up, the "attuned" enhancement's level will change to your current level. It won't show a number. It just does.

You can't slot an attuned enhancement below it's base level, and it won't work if you have it slotted and you are exemplared below the level that it can be slotted.

Attuned enhancements can't be boosted past level 50.

Expanding on this: 

Level-locked IOs (like a level 33 Touch of Death) are always level 33, give a specific enhancement value (like +22.4% to Acc/Dam) and if you have a set of them, give the set bonus if you are level 30 or higher.

An Attuned ToD can be slotted when you are level 22 and would give a level 25 enhancement value. Your set bonuses will be active from level 22 on up through 50. The attuned IO levels up with you until it hits max value at level 40 (24.1% to Acc/Dam).

So the benefit to Attuned is you can get a max enhancement value at high levels while still keeping set bonuses at low levels. 

BUT there are also Enhancement Boosters and you can put up to 5 on an IO. So if you take that level 25 ToD and +5 boost it, it'll give about 25% buff to Acc/Dam, better than that level 40 Attuned IO. You'll still have the same set bonuses for the same levels as if it were attuned, and it performs better all the time than the attuned. See https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Enhancement_Booster_Salvage You can trade Merits for Boosters or buy them for ~1.1 million inf each.

Attuned IOs cannot be boosted at all.

Another thing you need to know about the market: it magically converts anything posted for sale to whatever level you're buying it at, or attuned.

Example: Joe Farmer farms up, crafts, and posts for sale a level 50 Touch of Death Acc/Dam.

You type /ah and look in Attuned / Melee / Touch of Death and see an Acc/Dam, and buy it attuned. 

The AH automagically turned the lvl 50 into your attuned when you bought it!

So don't waste money on buying Catalysts, just buy IOs already attuned.

In summary, go Attuned for cheapness and maximum flexibility, or boost for maximum enhancement value.

As a returning player you need to know that Supergroup bases are completely free! Go into City Hall, register yourself a SG, then go build a base with storage. As you gather salvage and IOs you can store them in your base to share with your alts. Use the command /altinvite to invite all your toons into your SG without needing another player.

And WELCOME HOOOOOOOOOOOOOME!

Edited by ninja surprise

45 minutes ago, ninja surprise said:

So don't waste money on buying Catalysts, just buy IOs already attuned.

But then again, catalysts drop and you can get them in super packs. At that point, the are essentially free. 

You could sell them, but sometimes it is cheaper to craft a low level IO, slot it, and use a catalyst than to play a high price and try to sell one you crafted which has auction house charge when you put it up for sale and when you get the return for someone purchasing it.

I agree that you are correct for anything that sells on the market for under 3 million. 

I won't comment much on marketing because, you know, ....

looney-tunes-speedy-gonzales.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

5 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

You could sell them, but sometimes it is cheaper to craft a low level IO, slot it, and use a catalyst than to play a high price and try to sell one you crafted which has auction house charge when you put it up for sale and when you get the return for someone purchasing it.

Yep, cheapest way to go is to craft your drops. You can even come out ahead crafting and buying a few converters to turn a random IO into one you need. 

I'll do that for Healing and Defense IOs and some other ones. Get a random Healing IO, craft it, convert it into a Numina or Preventive Medicine, and save 4mil inf. Same for getting Luck of the Gambler from Serendipity, etc.

Or if you need the proc from a set and there's none for sale, there's usually a ton of the Dam/End or whatever the Uncommon recipe is. I'll buy ~5 of the uncommons, convert them all to the Proc and sell 4 to make my inf back.

14 hours ago, ninja surprise said:

Yep, cheapest way to go is to craft your drops.

not always, but that would be telling

14 hours ago, ninja surprise said:

buying a few converters

I know a guy that is really into converters, but he doesn't have the Luck of a Gamber, so ... yeah ...

I haven't bothered fiddling with the converts. Seems quicker and cheaper through other methods.

spock-star-trek.gif

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

We could spend a lot of time explaining the changes to the Auction System, but to put it in simple terms Homecoming's Dev Team seeds the Market as needed and converts items to generic within the system. This was done initially during the SCoRE years to overcome low server population. If you sell a Rare Salvage item it can be purchased by another player as any piece of salvage of the same Rarity. Enhancements are handled as if all enhancements of a certain variety are in one big bucket, if you sell a Crafted Enhancement, it can then be purchased as that enhancement, or it's Attuned Version, for the same price.

If you have not, take a good look at what is available at P2W Vendor in Atlas Plaza, lots of stuff there for the taking, and some for purchase. If you scroll down the enhancement list at any Enhancement Store or Vendor you will discover that Single Origin Enhancements are available now at level 10? When leveling keep in mind  Travel Powers are now available at level 4. Lots of changes.

If you collect all the badges in a single zone you earn the Accolade for that Zone and the Fast Travel Accolade Power. After that, collecting a single exploration badge in a zone will grant you Fast Travel to that Zone.

Good Hunting.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

On 5/9/2022 at 3:52 PM, Stormwalker said:

So, I played original CoH a lot.  Mostly scrappers, because I love scrappers.

Just discovered Homecoming and I'm thrilled to be back.

Welcome back!

On 5/9/2022 at 3:52 PM, Stormwalker said:

I seem to recall SR needs a lot of IO help to really achieve its potential. 

Nope, probably requires less effort (less IOs) than any other AT to cap defenses and become incredibly tough overall.

First thing: welcome back!

I would actually recommend a Brute instead of a Scrapper. The damage difference is minimal until builds are min maxed, Bio is used, and a Snipe is picked from the epic pool. For non such min maxed both Scrapper and Brute are shoulder to shoulder with Brutes having a better low level experience and being generally sturdier as well as all armors having an agro taunt aura. Scrappers only have like half of the armors who can agro.

Regardless of which you pick consider that all builds are budget friendly for the simple reason the difficulty can be tailored. But with that I would suggest Radiation Armor since it has an early heal + endurance recovery baked in a single skill (Radiation Therapy with a Theft of Essence proc) that alleviates all the problems usually associated with leveling.

Radiation Melee also has a very forgiving rotation, a baked in heal in one of the attacks, and passive AoE that allows you to focus on a boss while the minions are dying by themselves.

For money making and a character start check my signature.

Edited by Sovera

Welcome Home as they say.

Here are my two inf:

Which secondary sets are the best choices for performance in a low-inf build until I can earn enough to build my characters out properly? 
This purely subjective and depend on your play style and preference. But I will say that cheap builds aren't to be scoffed at. Some Uncommon IOs have better set bonuses than Rares, and some powers work best with just an SO or a Hami. it all boils down to how you mix and match and how you utilise a certain power while you play. /Dark is fun and stronk, btw.

Best ways to make inf in the current game? 
I think the best way is the way that works for you. I usually play solo hobo-style. with one toon, I got enough recipe and salvage drops from start to 49 that with a few salvage purchases, crafting, converting and patience with the AH, I got 700 million from just one toon. I bet it took more time and brain juice than just selling converters, catalysts or boosters, but it was part of the enjoyment for me.

What's this "attuned IO" business?  And also ATO's? 
An attuned IO is basically an IO set piece that levels up as you level up. You can purchase these directly from the AH or craft a recipe, slot then "attune" them using a catalyst. Some IOs don't need to be catalysed like most of the procs. 

On 5/14/2022 at 7:30 PM, Gamlain said:

As someone who also recently returned here, and leveled my first hero on it pre-shutdown, I simply have to reply to this.

Current Regen is the nerfed Regen.  Un-nerfed regen was essentially immortality.

I had a katana/regen

was practically unkillable

6 hours ago, VJT said:

I had a katana/regen

was practically unkillable

The problem I see with this is, it's Katana relying on one power to be practically unkillable.  With that line of thought you got Broadsword, Titan Weapons and Staff Fighting to go right along with it.

Not a glowing endorsement imo to say "Oh!  It's unkillable...when you pair it with high defense power"

On 5/28/2022 at 10:44 AM, BrandX said:

The problem I see with this is, it's Katana relying on one power to be practically unkillable.  With that line of thought you got Broadsword, Titan Weapons and Staff Fighting to go right along with it.

Not a glowing endorsement imo to say "Oh!  It's unkillable...when you pair it with high defense power"

Yeah, I had a katana/regen on live.  She was... definitely not unkillable.  Though after I respec'd into Shadowmeld she became pretty survivable.  But that says more about Shadowmeld than it does about Regeneration.

• Thumbs Up 1