Pokemon Scrappers - Or, how to play them all...

Errants

Currently have a small stable of scrappers, with ideas for more, and as I'm always build planning, trying to at least forecast the rest... So, I'm turning to all the crazed, brilliant minds of the Scrapper boards for assistance/feedback.

• I've a strong aversion to themed Pri/Sec - no Fiery/Fiery, Ice/Ice et alia.
  • I'm looking to make a Scrapper for every Primary - as there's 21 available, and only 14 secondaries, there will be repeats.
  • If I've made a horrific combo, that I'll regret, feel free to give your feedback
  • Mained a Kat/Regen on Legacy, also had an MA/Inv - So, not repeating those.

Rolled:

Electric Melee Super Reflexes Tw17cH Lvl 25, seems solid so far
Radiation Melee Shield Defense Criticality Lvl 13, reroll of Kin/SD, wanted some sort of healing and the -Dam wasn't cutting it.
Spines Ice Armor Penitentes Main/badger... has absolutely dirt ST though, can't reliably solo AV's.
Titan Weapons Ninjitsu Hakawaii Lvl 43, end bar to damage converter. Is soloing AV's with build.
War Mace Energy Aura Vovok'din Lvl 25, tribute character - must be WM

Ideas:

Battle Axe Fiery Aura   Chain KD/KU for Burn maximizing
Claws Stone Armor   Seen the giggling on the forums, why not?
Dark Melee Electric Armor   Had a DM/EnA Brute on Legacy, similar buzzsaw shenanigans planned
Ice Melee Invulnerability   Rough concept
Martial Arts Bio Armor   Foot fungus and extra AoE
Psionic Melee Willpower   Soft control + Regen

Need armor sets:

Broad Sword      
Dual Blades      
Energy Melee      
Fiery Melee      
Katana      
Kinetic Melee      
Savage Melee      
Staff Fighting      
Stone Melee      
Street Justice      

So, grand plans/thoughts/machinations? Let the gestalt of the Scrapperlock flow through the forums.

Edited by Errants
  • Like 1

Death is the best debuff.

I would really suggest brute or tanker for your claws / stone. Mud pots does so much fear it has to be bugged in scrappers. I haven't seen any other power that makes enemies run as bad as mud pots. 

Regardless I have the same problem I want all the scrappers. My main is currently claws/wp that I just got his t3 alpha on today. My old main that I'm bored of is energy melee/bio (everything to t3 alpha try)

And still in the leveling process:

stj/sr, it's a fun combo been wanting a SR scrapper for awhile. 

fire melee/stone armor. Either going to reroll him brute or Respec out if mud pots. 

Katana/Regen it's ok. Mid 20s ATM just not particularly exciting yet. 

Broadsword / shield low 40s solid but end hungry 

Psionic melee / dark armor concept character that's not working out very well might reroll. Not sure if I want a new attack or new armor 

Warmace / rad is a lot of fun so far. High 20s. Once I get his recharge down he's going to be a beast. 

I've also got a handful of others that have just been forgotten about as well as one of every claws secondary ranging from lvl 5 to 40. 

15 hours ago, Rokkeb said:

I would really suggest brute or tanker for your claws / stone. Mud pots does so much fear it has to be bugged in scrappers. I haven't seen any other power that makes enemies run as bad as mud pots. 

Regardless I have the same problem I want all the scrappers. My main is currently claws/wp that I just got his t3 alpha on today. My old main that I'm bored of is energy melee/bio (everything to t3 alpha try)

And still in the leveling process:

stj/sr, it's a fun combo been wanting a SR scrapper for awhile. 

fire melee/stone armor. Either going to reroll him brute or Respec out if mud pots. 

Katana/Regen it's ok. Mid 20s ATM just not particularly exciting yet. 

Broadsword / shield low 40s solid but end hungry 

Psionic melee / dark armor concept character that's not working out very well might reroll. Not sure if I want a new attack or new armor 

Warmace / rad is a lot of fun so far. High 20s. Once I get his recharge down he's going to be a beast. 

I've also got a handful of others that have just been forgotten about as well as one of every claws secondary ranging from lvl 5 to 40. 

You can't do Claws/Stone on Brutes or Tanks

16 hours ago, Errants said:

Currently have a small stable of scrappers, with ideas for more, and as I'm always build planning, trying to at least forecast the rest... So, I'm turning to all the crazed, brilliant minds of the Scrapper boards for assistance/feedback.

• I've a strong aversion to themed Pri/Sec - no Fiery/Fire et alia.
  • I'm looking to make a Scrapper for every Primary - as there's 21 available, and only 14 secondaries, there will be repeats.
  • If I've made a horrific combo, that I'll regret, feel free to give your feedback
  • Mained a Kat/Regen on Legacy, also had an MA/Inv - So, not repeating those.

Rolled:

Electric Melee Super Reflexes Tw17cH Lvl 25, seems solid so far
Radiation Melee Shield Defense Criticality Lvl 13, reroll of Kin/SD, wanted some sort of healing and the -Dam wasn't cutting it.
Spines Ice Armor Penitentes Main/badger... has absolutely dirt ST though, can't reliably solo AV's.
Titan Weapons Ninjitsu Hakawaii Lvl 43, end bar to damage converter. Is soloing AV's with build.
War Mace Energy Aura Vovok'din Lvl 25, tribute character - must be WM

Ideas:

Battle Axe Fiery Aura   Chain KD/KU for Burn maximizing
Claws Stone Armor   Seen the giggling on the forums, why not?
Dark Melee Electric Armor   Had a DM/EnA Brute on Legacy, similar buzzsaw shenanigans planned
Ice Melee Invulnerability   Rough concept
Martial Arts Bio Armor   Foot fungus and extra AoE
Psionic Melee Willpower   Soft control + Regen

Need armor sets:

Broad Sword      
Dual Blades      
Energy Melee      
Fiery Melee      
Katana      
Kinetic Melee      
Savage Melee      
Staff Fighting      
Stone Melee      
Street Justice      

So, grand plans/thoughts/machinations? Let the gestalt of the Scrapperlock flow through the forums.

I have a Fire/Axe Tanker so I love that concept (Fire Man Axe and my Tanker is the avatar of a demonic phoenix), so good call for that combo imo 🙂

Broad Sword/Regen (so you get that +Defense Attack)

Katana/Dark Armor (More +Defense for the set)

Stone/Rad Armor (Radio active Earth!)

Energy/Shield (Just no denying this combo)

Fire/Ninja

Kinetic/Bio

Street Justice/Inv (Classic Superman build in for Scrappers imo)

Savage/Inv (Seems like it'd be a fun combo)

Dual Blades/WP (classic combo as they came out together)

Staff/Ninja or Staff/Dark

1 hour ago, BrandX said:

I have a Fire/Axe Tanker so I love that concept (Fire Man Axe and my Tanker is the avatar of a demonic phoenix), so good call for that combo imo 🙂

Broad Sword/Regen (so you get that +Defense Attack)

Katana/Dark Armor (More +Defense for the set)

Stone/Rad Armor (Radio active Earth!)

Energy/Shield (Just no denying this combo)

Fire/Ninja

Kinetic/Bio

Street Justice/Inv (Classic Superman build in for Scrappers imo)

Staff/Ninja or Staff/Dark

Agreed on Claws/Stone, is also why I have TW/Nin - I love the exclusive combos, even with proliferation. (have an Ill/Dark troller, too).

Validation on Axe/Fiery, nice. Stealing Fiery/Nin (why didn't I think of that?). Nrg/SD seems solid, catch is if I can tint stuff to ignore the pom-pom clipping, or make it seem a normal part of the shield.

Other ideas are good, but not seeming to click, yet. Though, BS/Regen is a slower Kat/Regen, so hard pass there.

Thank you!

And, @Rokkeb - I didn't really see a recommendation in your lists, more just several you seem to be unsatisfied with. If I misread, please clarify.

Edited by Errants

Some thoughts on armor sets not yet listed ...

... definitely got to "catch" /Rad Armor - works great with Katana (enjoyed mine thoroughly), might be interesting with BS as an alternate. Sort of a modern take on classic Kat/Dark.  Pretty much good with any of the primaries you've got open.

... StJ/Dark might be interesting to lean into terrorize.  That spin kick is terribly small though and only gets the fear chance at Combo3. Might make a better Tank.

... Regen .... ? Savage might be interesting if one is inclined to make a monstrosity of some sort.

2 hours ago, BrandX said:

I have one of these, sitting close to 50 if not already there.  Never fleshed out a build I was happy with though.  Definitely fun, but Savage is doing the lifting there. 😄

Wanted to experiment with putting Gaussian's in the toggle (Invincibility?) so I could use Blood Thirst re-actively to recover Frenzy stacks instead of like a traditional BU - ie after attacking or mid-chain rather than as an opener for the big damage boost of BU - as it has small +dmg bit anyway.

Seemed to work when I remember to do it that way; remembering to swap the order of buttons was the hardest part.

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

10 minutes ago, InvaderStych said:

... definitely got to "catch" /Rad Armor - works great with Katana (enjoyed mine thoroughly), might be interesting with BS as an alternate. Sort of a modern take on classic Kat/Dark.  Pretty much good with any of the primaries you've got open.

... StJ/Dark might be interesting to lean into terrorize.  That spin kick is terribly small though and only gets the fear chance at Combo3. Might make a better Tank.

... Regen .... ? Savage might be interesting if one is inclined to make a monstrosity of some sort.

I have one of these, sitting close to 50 if not already there.  Never fleshed out a build I was happy with though.  Definitely fun, but Savage is doing the lifting there. 😄

Wanted to experiment with putting Gaussian's in the toggle (Invincibility?) so I could use Blood Thirst re-actively to recover Frenzy stacks instead of like a traditional BU - ie after attacking or mid-chain rather than as an opener for the big damage boost of BU - as it has small +dmg bit anyway.

Seemed to work when I remember to do it that way; remembering to swap the order of buttons was the hardest part.

Well, WP, SR and INV (even with Dull Pain) are pretty passive sets, so figure the concept and primary are doing most of the lifting for combos with them. 🙂

1 hour ago, Errants said:

Agreed on Claws/Stone, is also why I have TW/Nin - I love the exclusive combos, even with proliferation. (have an Ill/Dark troller, too).

Validation on Axe/Fiery, nice. Stealing Fiery/Nin (why didn't I think of that?). Nrg/SD seems solid, catch is if I can tint stuff to ignore the pom-pom clipping, or make it seem a normal part of the shield.

Other ideas are good, but not seeming to click, yet. Though, BS/Regen is a slower Kat/Regen, so hard pass there.

Thank you!

And, @Rokkeb - I didn't really see a recommendation in your lists, more just several you seem to be unsatisfied with. If I misread, please clarify.

BS/Regen idea was to go with the Parry, but changing it up from the Katana/Regen.  Staff/Regen could go in there instead, as it has a Parry as well.

On 6/12/2022 at 2:11 PM, InvaderStych said:

*re Sav/Inv* I have one of these, sitting close to 50 if not already there.  Never fleshed out a build I was happy with though.  Definitely fun, but Savage is doing the lifting there. 😄

*/Rad with BS/Kat/Staff seems a great idea, abuse the Parry. Leaning towards Staff/Radiation (both want PLENTY of targets)
I've a StJ/SD Stalker... who was VERY end hungy, so leaning towards /Ice repeat for the management tools.
I feel /Regen is weakest on a Scrapper now, given the 4 AT's that have it... So, looking to pair with a strong Primary, and one that won't thirst for many targets, but wants hard targets - Stone/Regen
I run my Sav/DA Brute with BT exactly like that... it's not a Build Up, it's an end recovery tool by instantly refilling my stacks.

On 6/12/2022 at 2:27 PM, BrandX said:

BS/Regen idea was to go with the Parry, but changing it up from the Katana/Regen.  Staff/Regen could go in there instead, as it has a Parry as well.

I can see that... Again, not a bad idea, but attempting new combos/playstyles.

First, thank you all, and to any else who comment.

So, with the input, 20ish hours of thinking, and some rest, I think I've filled it out. Now just need to think of concepts for them all... and roll them, and play them...
My doubled armor sets are all the Defense or Defense-hybrid sets... Figure I should lean into the strengths of the AT.

Battle Axe Fiery Aura BL Psycho?  
Broad Sword Willpower Generic Pict?  
Claws Stone Armor stabby stone  
Dark Melee Electric Armor   Dark
Dual Blades Super Reflexes BF, AS, SS, AS  
Electric Melee Super Reflexes Tw17cH Body
Energy Melee Shield Defense Solve clipping  
Fiery Melee Ninjitsu   Blaze
Ice Melee Invulnerability Angel, flight?  
Katana Invulnerability Samurai  
Kinetic Melee Dark Armor Stun Abuse  
Martial Arts Bio Armor   Weapons
Psionic Melee

Regeneration

Helltaker-esque  
Radiation Melee Shield Defense Criticality  
Savage Melee Energy Aura Death-bot  
Spines Ice Armor Penitentes Soul
Staff Fighting Radiation Armor Radioactive Staff  
Stone Melee Willpower Coral?  
Street Justice Ice Armor Viking?  
Titan Weapons Ninjitsu Hakawaii Leviathan
War Mace Energy Aura Vovok'din  

Need to find at LEAST one toon to take Scorpion Mastery, and it can't be the WM/Nrg (tribute and will always be a hero - props to whoever recognizes him)...

Otherwise, I think I've got some planning and rolling to do - Whatchall thing?

Edited by Errants
Swapped Psi/ and Stone/'s secondaries due to buff aura's and Mass Levitate

Saw Psi Melee/Willpower on your list and I wanted to warn you, they have a bad interaction: Mass Levitate can fling things out of Rise to the Challenge. It's a small but sometimes noticeable reduction in how much regeneration you receive from the power, especially against groups where Willpower struggles (Malta, Arachnos, etc.).

I think the issue can be remedied with a -Knock IO put into Mass Levitate (not certain if -KB works on KU though), but half the fun of the power is tossing enemies around. Also, the control aspect of it can be helpful in tight situations, which are exactly the ones where the flinging can become a problem.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 11:48 AM, BrandX said:

^---this (and see sig.)

Reunion - JAWBRKR (Inv/SJ Tank), Lich-ilicious (Necro/Dark MM)  Torchbearer - Will Power-Flame (WP/Fire Tank),  Frostee-Freeze (Ice/Emp Troller), DARKNESSREIGNS (Inv/DM Tank), BALLBUSTR (Inv/SS Tank)  Indomitable - PLVRIZR (Stone/SS Tank), The Atomic Warden (Rad/Rad Defender), FACESMSHR (EM/EA Brute)  Excelsior - NUTCRCKR (Inv/SS Tank) - VL500+, DRKSTNITE (DA/DM Tank), Nosfera-too (Kin/Dark Defender), FIREBLLR (FIre/Therm Corr), THUGSRUS (Thugs/Dark MM), Marshal Mayhem (Fire/MA Tank), SLICRDICR (DB/WP Scrap), NECROTANK (SD/DM Tank), FRMRBRWN (Spines/Fire Brute), AVLANCH (Ice/Stone Tank), SWMPTHNG (Bio/Rad Tank), FREEZRBRN (Fire/Ice Tank), ZZAAPP (Elec/Elec Brute), Voltaic Thunderbolt (Elec/Elec Tank) Lemme Axe You Somethin (Rad/Axe Tank), PWDRKEG (Fire/FIre/Pyre Tank), ATMSMSHR (Rad/SS Tank), Morphology of Flame (Bio/Fire Tank) EverlastingMISSADVENTUR (Inv/SS Tank), Mace to the Face (SD/WM Tank)                                                        Retail 2004 (pre-I1) - 2012 lights out; Feb. 2020 - present

4 hours ago, lemming said:

DB/WP Scrapper is my badger.  Once I rebuilt them, they're nearly unstoppable as long as I'm careful about Cascading Def Failure.

Soloed ITF back on live with a DB/WP using no inspirations or Incarnates.  Zero deaths.  It can be a strong build.

I have experience with every scrapper primary and secondary. Condolences on spines being your badger.

Broadsword needs to be procced out to work, but it CAN work very well. It's actually pretty good tbh, Looks awesome with a shield, too. Straight set through? It's OK. Not great,

Savage Melee is pretty...sad on a scrapper.

Staff is the coolest looking set there is to me. Sadly, it performs proportionately as bad. It's bottom bottom tier. Sits down there with Spines.

Fiery Melee just isn't good. Procced or not.

All the other sets you haven't touched yet perform pretty well.

2 hours ago, SomeGuy said:

I have experience with every scrapper primary and secondary. Condolences on spines being your badger.

Whelp, coming from the Kat/Regen being the Badger on Legacy, it's not been so bad. Why the condolences?

2 hours ago, Errants said:

Whelp, coming from the Kat/Regen being the Badger on Legacy, it's not been so bad. Why the condolences?

Cause Spines is measurably bad. It gets absolutely throttled when it needs to do ST damage. And it isn't the AOE powerhouse the sets wants to be. Measurably and if someone enjoys it? Not the same. Fun is what matters. But Katana is measurably REALLY good. Not only does it perform really well but the set has fast attacks and chonky attacks. And it lets you go all weeb with your look and rock cool swords. But I can't see Spines rockin' GMs solo for some badges. Katana on the other hand? Go kill whatever it wants.

I can see a lot of ways to approach this (some of which apparently I have been subconsciously following).

One way (which is not the way I've been going) is to pick the "best" secondary for each primary (or "best" primary for each secondary) and then spend some thought on how to mix and match your non-pairing sets.  This way you'll end up with a few fantastic matchups and a few complete stinkers.

Another way is to look at primaries and secondaries in ways that they can complement each other.  Some examples that come to mind:

Attack sets with a +def power (like katana) matched with defense sets that are light on defense.

Endurance-light offensive sets (like claws) with endurance-heavy defense sets (like dark armor) or vice versa

Click protection sets (like super reflexes) with knockback-heavy sets (like battle axe).  This one works for me in two ways:  1. KB is a good mitigation tool that buys you activation time; 2. I don't like having both Hasten and a click protection set since I'm only going to put one on auto-fire.  I know there are ways around this, but I don't care enough about using macros extensively.

Who run Bartertown?

19 hours ago, SomeGuy said:

Cause Spines is measurably bad. It gets absolutely throttled when it needs to do ST damage. And it isn't the AOE powerhouse the sets wants to be. Measurably and if someone enjoys it? Not the same. Fun is what matters. But Katana is measurably REALLY good. Not only does it perform really well but the set has fast attacks and chonky attacks. And it lets you go all weeb with your look and rock cool swords. But I can't see Spines rockin' GMs solo for some badges. Katana on the other hand? Go kill whatever it wants.

Whelp, hells.

Planning on a revisit of /Ice with StJ/... Or, I could start a different 100% toon via one of my other alts. It is only pixels.

Agreed, though - always thought Spines/ was rocking, but never rolled it Legacy. And while I love my Spines/Ice... My TW/Nin is stronger and not nearly as kitted out (44ish).

59 minutes ago, Errants said:

Whelp, hells.

Planning on a revisit of /Ice with StJ/... Or, I could start a different 100% toon via one of my other alts. It is only pixels.

Agreed, though - always thought Spines/ was rocking, but never rolled it Legacy. And while I love my Spines/Ice... My TW/Nin is stronger and not nearly as kitted out (44ish).

That's why I said "measurably". If you enjoy it then that's what really matters. You can nitpick the performance to every set.

I'm feeling a terrible urge to go out and make a bunch of Pokemon themed characters right now...🤔

• Like 2

On 6/15/2022 at 6:33 PM, SomeGuy said:

Savage Melee is pretty...sad on a scrapper.

Staff is the coolest looking set there is to me. Sadly, it performs proportionately as bad. It's bottom bottom tier. Sits down there with Spines.

Savage is good with a +Dam secondary like Shield or Bio. Just have to get used to some DoT damage ticking by.

Both it and Staff are still better than Fiery Melee. Fire is such a disappointment.

On 6/15/2022 at 10:18 AM, ViciousCabaret said:

Saw Psi Melee/Willpower on your list and I wanted to warn you, they have a bad interaction: Mass Levitate can fling things out of Rise to the Challenge. It's a small but sometimes noticeable reduction in how much regeneration you receive from the power, especially against groups where Willpower struggles (Malta, Arachnos, etc.).

I think the issue can be remedied with a -Knock IO put into Mass Levitate (not certain if -KB works on KU though), but half the fun of the power is tossing enemies around. Also, the control aspect of it can be helpful in tight situations, which are exactly the ones where the flinging can become a problem.

Yes, a -KB IO turns Mass Levitate into Mass Backflip. It's pretty funny. I paired Psi Melee with / Stone to add the +Fire secondary effect onto the Psi attacks to maximize elemental damage.

On 6/16/2022 at 6:58 PM, Errants said:

Yeah, I think my first toon on Homecoming was Spines/Ice because I thought two damage auras and stacking slows would be neat. I got it to 50, kept IO'ing it out, trying to make it better... but when I get that Tips mission with Devouring Earth and they drop that stupid Cairn that buffs their damage resistance and I can't defeat the stupid pile of dirt with my 3 single target attacks... poor Iceberg Lettuce has been languishing on the back page of my alts list for a long time now.

On 6/15/2022 at 11:18 AM, ViciousCabaret said:

Can't believe I missed this, thank you for the heads up... Gonna assume similar issues with Invincibility?

1 hour ago, ninja surprise said:

Yes, a -KB IO turns Mass Levitate into Mass Backflip. It's pretty funny. I paired Psi Melee with / Stone to add the +Fire secondary effect onto the Psi attacks to maximize elemental damage.

While nifty, I'd rather not lean on that for viability...

So, with all that said and done:
Psi/Regen
Stone/Will

Scramble things around, still minimizing repeats, and giving Willpower some soft control. Alternately, could go Ice/Will and Stone/Invulnl... But I think Stone wants QR.

Edited by Errants