Instant 50

Oklahoman

I think it would be good to start off all new characters with a "welcome package" - including an instant 50,000 inf. It's not a large enough amount to create a problem if someone tries to farm that by creating new characters, but it would be enough to get a round of training enhancements right off the bat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 6

15 minutes ago, Oklahoman said:

I think it would be good to start off all new characters with a "welcome package" - including an instant 50,000 inf. It's not a large enough amount to create a problem if someone tries to farm that by creating new characters, but it would be enough to get a round of training enhancements right off the bat.

A reasonable suggestion.   And it goes a long way towards solving a still unsolved problem that I pointed out when making DO's and SO's available at much lower levels was first discussed:  Without a "sugar daddy", new characters and especially new players lack the funds to take advantage of that availability.  And they have no easy way to get the funds that doesn't require pre-existing knowledge of the game.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

6 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Your thread title is sooooo misleading. 😃

Purely accidental, I assure you.

• Haha 4

I could see this being a reward for completing a tutorial. If one skips the tutorial, then it's safe to assume they know what they're doing.

In Outbreak, you help stop the rampage of a new drug (which was conveniently dropped off by a CoV player). Freedom Corps commends your efforts by allowing you to grow stronger with their Superpowered Field Trainers (and giving you 50k).

In Breakout, Arachnos helps you escape from the Zig because they see great potential in you. It wouldn't be uncharacteristic of them to throw you a few resources with their Quartermasters so they can monitor your growth.

In Galaxy City, I dunno. I guess BABs gives you a coupon for a 5 Dollar Biggie Bag or something. Or the Freedom Corps thing I said earlier.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

6 minutes ago, Spaghetti Betty said:

I could see this being a reward for completing a tutorial. If one skips the tutorial, then it's safe to assume they know what they're doing.

I really like this idea. Run the tutorial and get $50k. Skip it and finance yourself.

Without having to do the tutorial I could foresee a situation where someone creates a bunch of characters in order to get a bunch of Inf. Sure, most of us wouldn't do it because there are far less annoying ways to make money much faster, but you know someone would.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 5

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

3 minutes ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

I really like this idea. Run the tutorial and get $50k. Skip it and finance yourself.

Without having to do the tutorial I could foresee a situation where someone creates a bunch of characters in order to get a bunch of Inf. Sure, most of us wouldn't do it because there are far less annoying ways to make money much faster, but you know someone would.

Running the tutorial over and over for 50k a piece sounds like a pretty depraved way to make inf. They can have that for the sake of the new player that needs help not drowning.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

Tying it into the tutorial makes sense. As @Spaghetti Betty said, in the Outbreak tutorial probably a PPD contact or whomever sends you out of the tutorial can give it. In Breakout, Jensen could be the one to give it. (Redeem his standing as an Arachnos operative to a point.) In Galaxy City, you could get it from whomever your contact for leaving the tutorial happens to be. In Praetoria, it could be given by that long-winded Resistance contact where the ghouls attack as a "Here's some funds to get proper Resistance gear" type thing immediately prior to being sent off for your morality choice (after the ghouls are dealt with). Regardless, it should be given at or near the end of the tutorial.

And tying it to the tutorial would reduce, not prevent, but definitely reduce, the ability to abuse it. (And as @Spaghetti Betty said, if they want to go through all those loops to farm a welcome package? That's their headache to deal with.)

Edited by Rudra
Edited for Galaxy City tutorial giver, removing Blue Spectrum as source and means of acquiring from Blue Spectrum.
  • Like 1

You could tie it to level 2 and leveling up with Ms Liberty.

It's more a convenience thing but the bump in cost of the 1 hour booster from lvl 1 to 2 may make it a wash. This could also be akin to running the tutorial. Since you can basically do this by getting the the inspiration gen from p2w for free and selling the inspirations on ah.

Make it something every char has to do but make the time greater than 2 minutes in game.

That way it's not a way to bloat inf and adds convenience to the game.

That being said I just email myself 1mil inf so I have 3 or 4 stashes for new characters.

Rating on priority 1/10

Rating on benefit to the game 2/10

Rating on detriment to game 1/10

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, so first off nice clickbait. 

As for the actual suggestion:
1. I thought there was already some scheme in place to get cash for lowbies. You get an exploration badge or something that grants you some merits, then exchange those for converters which you then sell. I thought the return on this was at least 150k.

2. I logged on a character to check. At lvl 2, you can start buying SOs for around 4k a pop. Doing so would strike me as really foolish since you burn through those early levels pretty quickly even if you're not using xp boosters and/or running dfb. Personally, I don't think I bother even slotting any SOs until around lvl 20, at which the price is much higher. I think at least 10k. So that 50k really doesn't do a whole lot. If you used it to slot earlier, then you would level faster--and the SOs would expire more quickly.

Ok it's some free money. It will help a little. But it's a weird place on which to focus dev attention. If you don't like this content, you level through it quickly to the point where 50k isn't a big deal. If you do like it--then you go slow and savor it? Why are you in a rush to get enhanced, which would presumably get you through it quicker?

I will allow this but only if an NPC named @Yomo Kimyata who's over lounging on a couch at the Atlas Park AH like he owns it is the one that distributes the funds. Hell I wouldn't even be opposed to the Yomo NPC giving each character a 1 time gift of 10 million influence like the player does if you ask him. It just has to be a model of Yomo lounging around the AP Auction House.

1 hour ago, Sirius.Games said:

That being said I just email myself 1mil inf so I have 3 or 4 stashes for new characters.

New players don't have sugar daddies.  New(er) players may not have another toon with money to spare.

1 hour ago, battlewraith said:

I thought there was already some scheme in place to get cash for lowbies. You get an exploration badge or something that grants you some merits, then exchange those for converters which you then sell. I thought the return on this was at least 150k.

There isn't.  And even if there was, the newbie would have to a) know what merits are, b) know where and how to exchange them for converters, and c) know where to sell the converters for cash.  That's a pretty high bar.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!

This is a nicety that doesn't really do much for the game. Does it have a drawback besides coding time, nope. Inf is easy to come by and the early game isn't hard. For TOs the inf drops and enhancement drops are plenty.

If this is a 5 minute thing to add sure but with finite coding time I don't see much value as a whole.

2 hours ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

There isn't.  And even if there was, the newbie would have to a) know what merits are, b) know where and how to exchange them for converters, and c) know where to sell the converters for cash.  That's a pretty high bar.

This is from the newcomer's guide in the guide section:

Another way to get quick cash at level 1 is to find all the exploration badges in AP. With the jump pack and ninja run from the PTW vendor, you can do it in about 5 to 10 minutes. After you find all 8 of them you get 5 reward merits which can then buy 15 converters and get you about 1.2 million from the AH.

If we assume that the new player doesn't know anything, and isn't going to do any research or ask any questions, then I doubt throwing 50k inf at them is going help them much either. They don't know where to buy enhancements, what enhancements to buy, etc. etc.

This is from the newcomer's guide in the guide section:

Right.  So on top of everything I listed that they need to know, you can add in: d) what an exploration badge is, e) where they are, f) what the PTW vendor is..  while only subtracting c).  You do realize you just proved my point?

If we assume that the new player doesn't know anything, and isn't going to do any research or ask any questions, then I doubt throwing 50k inf at them is going help them much either. They don't know where to buy enhancements, what enhancements to buy, etc. etc.

That's a much lower bar however.  Especially since you learn about enhancements in the tutorials, the vendor is right there, and you've have to be pretty out of it to not grasp that Accuracy and Damage are good things.  If there's a bar it's the stupid design of DO's and SO's.  They should have been replaced with AO's (All Origins) long, long ago.

1 minute ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

If there's a bar it's the stupid design of DO's and SO's.  They should have been replaced with AO's (All Origins) long, long ago.

Technically, we had AOs. They were called TOs. And everyone got out of them as quickly as they could.  😛

I get your point. You're saying like IOs are. The way enhancements were set up though, you went from all origin enhancements to double origin enhancements to single origin enhancements as things became more tailored, and thusly more efficient/powerful, for your character. I'm glad making IOs work that way was deemed undesirable.

5 hours ago, Sirius.Games said:

Rating on priority 1/10

Rating on benefit to the game 2/10

Rating on detriment to game 1/10

I like this

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

5 hours ago, battlewraith said:

1. I thought there was already some scheme in place to get cash for lowbies. You get an exploration badge or something that grants you some merits, then exchange those for converters which you then sell. I thought the return on this was at least 150k.

There is a high value inspiration drop in the tutorial to sell on the Black Market. As Doc said, they'd have to know to AH it,

Reward Merits for zone explorations are a thing and again, they'd have to know to about it and what to do with the RMs.

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

53 minutes ago, Rudra said:

I get your point. You're saying like IOs are. The way enhancements were set up though, you went from all origin enhancements to double origin enhancements to single origin enhancements as things became more tailored, and thusly more efficient/powerful, for your character. I'm glad making IOs work that way was deemed undesirable.

I've got some thoughts on how I'd set up an AO system, It's almost bedtime so I'll write them up separately over the weekend to avoid further derailing this thread.

12 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

This sounds like the perfect way to do it.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝