Using a joystick/controller?

moosecrack

I am trying to get a friend into the game but he struggles with using a keyboard.

Has anyone every tried playing city of heroes with a joystick or controller? If so, any type/brand recommendations, and could someone explain how to set it up? I’m not the most tech savvy, I have been googling for a while now and I can’t find anything specific to City of heroes.

I knew someone that did use a controller BUT its a pain... you have to use software to basically configure the controller for each class... as the game has no native support.. I think they used Pinnacle Game Profiler.

I would recommend they get used to using a keyboard/mouse... its the best option and they will have a better time as the game was built for keyboard so there is lots of skills more than a controller has buttons... even using button combo's on a controller you will find it very hard to map everything to the controller.

I knew someone that did use a controller BUT its a pain... you have to use software to basically configure the controller for each class... as the game has no native support.. I think they used Pinnacle Game Profiler.

I would recommend they get used to using a keyboard/mouse... its the best option and they will have a better time as the game was built for keyboard so there is lots of skills more than a controller has buttons... even using button combo's on a controller you will find it very hard to map everything to the controller.

Yeah. I've seen a handful over the years mention that they do it this way, but the mapping must be hell.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

I am using the xbox one controller for movements and key things such as targeting, flying etc.  However for using powers, i am using the numeric keypad.  I was thnking of getting the xbox chat pad to see if i can use mostly the game pad and only the numeric keypad as i find it difficult to navigate especially in the caves.

I do not use any mapping software except what is in the options menu.

For everyone saying "just use a keyboard," there are genuine disability issues that would make a keyboard uncomfortable or impractical for someone to use that a controller wouldn't have. It's not necessarily an issue of preference.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sadly the developer for Pinnacle Game Profiler passed away last year, so it's not getting any more support (it was a one-man show). I'm using Controller Companion (got it for like a buck on steam) and one of these days will get Joy2Mouse set up and start using that.

I'm currently using an xbox360 pad. I used an xbox S-pad all the time the game was live. It's what works best for me. I don't like keyboard either.

Once you figure out the basics of getting the joypad to interface with your game, I'm happy to help you write keybinds that can do amazing things.

Don't people normally use Xpadder or Joy2key for this sort of thing?

You'll have to set up button combos once you get to later levels though and that might get a bit messy depending on what powers you get and how you plan to organize them... (Already a pain enough trying to play a summoner on FFXIV with a controller and those only have one pet at a time... I'd hate to think what efficiently playing MM with one would be like)

I am using the xbox one controller for movements and key things such as targeting, flying etc.  However for using powers, i am using the numeric keypad.  I was thnking of getting the xbox chat pad to see if i can use mostly the game pad and only the numeric keypad as i find it difficult to navigate especially in the caves.

I do not use any mapping software except what is in the options menu.

The keyboard doesn't work on the pc.I'd hoped to use it to chat I eso but it just wouldn't recognise it

Indomitable server

Atomitor, Tarquin, Atomito, Daltron, Fusebox and more tbc

The keyboard doesn't work on the pc.I'd hoped to use it to chat I eso but it just wouldn't recognise it

The xbox one/s controllers had an update awhile ago that makes it work on window 10 you have to connect it to the controller then connect the controlling using the micro-usb cable to the computer load up the xbox  accessories app and update the firmware on the controller/pad to get it to work (newer controllers may work out of the box)

Honestly I had forgot about the chatpad will give it a try when I can see if it works out of the box with no setup other than in game options.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later

My regular xbox controller isn't being picked up by my win7 computer. If I put coh on my win10 computer will it recognize the controller?

I read in another post someone talking about joytokey software. This weekend I'll try to dig up my old stuff to see what I still have. Back in the day I used mouse+keypad+non-xbox controller. Plus detailed keybinds for my mastermind pets if I recall correctly I had to had the file in a certain folder.

I am trying to get a friend into the game but he struggles with using a keyboard.

Has anyone every tried playing city of heroes with a joystick or controller? If so, any type/brand recommendations, and could someone explain how to set it up? I’m not the most tech savvy, I have been googling for a while now and I can’t find anything specific to City of heroes.

Yes, you can play with a controller fairly easily, and no it doesn't have to be a setup for each type of character you play. "Just use keyboard/mouse" suggestions are the pinnacle of laziness IMO. If you really want to get something to work, you can figure out a way to make it happen. I have been playing with a controller since I first started back in 2005 and controllers have obviously gotten better since then. I currently play with a DualShock 4 (which I do recommend).

I've used a handful of profilers, but the best have been Pinnacle Profiler, DS4Windows, and Steam's controller configuration. Because of issues with the game detecting the analog sticks properly when using DS4Windows, I use Steam to map controls for the game. Depending how familiar you are with the software you choose to use for mapping, and the options given, you can have your controller set up so that you never have to touch a keyboard other than to type. Additional power execution and macro commands in this version fo the game also make using targeted powers like summons and TAoE powers much easier to use.

I'm currently working on something to help people with features that aren't common knowledge that should be useful whether you choose to use a keyboard/mouse, a  gamepad, or something else.

You can DM me to talk about it, but depending on how long it takes the SCOTS website to be ready for live, I'll post a guide either here on the forums, or there when it's ready.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

All is vanity, and grasping for the wind. Sufficient for the day is it's own trouble.

IG: @OriginalSpacey

• 4 weeks later

As a person who suffers from shaking due to epilepsy playing with a mouse and key board can be difficult. Most often I find it easier to play with a controller where the resistance helps to hold my fingers and hand steadier. I am currently working  on completely remapping the controls where I can use only the key board to see if that helps but on a really bad day it really doesn't matter and I can't play anything any way so a controller would be useless at that point. My point is that a controller can be a convenience or a true help for some one, but I and some others who are technologicly impaired would love to see a hobby coder or guru work this out with either a setup program or a step by step guide and help us out. For those of us who love gaming and miss out on some of the experiences you have due to our disabilities we say a humble thank you for all that you have done in the past and will do in the future to help our gaming experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I use an xbox 360 controller with Antimicro from time to time.

There are a few softwares you can use but antimicro in my opinion has the best joystick smoothing.

It takes about 15-20 mins to setup but after that you never have to set it up again.

This, like many MMOs, doesn't really play well with controllers and joysticks. The problem is that there's not enough buttons on the controller and setting up modifier buttons on the controller is difficult in the extreme for CoH. This means that while you might need up to 30 buttons to control your character, you only have 14. Some classes will have an easier time then others. Scrappers for example just need to be able to map their main attacks and a target_next_alive bind. Everything else can be clicked once with a mouse if needed to toggle on or Ctrl-clicked to set to auto cast.

• 2 weeks later

I haven't tried a two-handed controller yet, but I do use a Razer Tartarus for my left hand and a multi-button mouse for my right. I think a 2-handed game controller similar to those on console games will work if they're the type that allows you to map every button to a keyboard or mouse button. Better yet, if they support their own programmable macros, then they may be better than a keyboard for some things.

I don't believe it's necessary to customize the control device for each character either. Basically, most MMO's use the WASD and nearby keys for movement and the number keys (usually with AND without the Ctrl or Alt keys) for power activation. So basically you just need buttons for Ctrl, Alt, maybe the Shift key and enough buttons or joysticks for the movement keys and enough buttons to represent the number keys in your trays. So for example, on my gamepad I have easy access to number 1-5 and under my thumb I can activate Ctrl or Alt, giving me very easy access to the 15 most used attacks/powers that are right at my finger tips. Less commonly used abilities are placed further away or I just click with the mouse when needed. For any character I roll, I just set up the trays and drop the power icon into the familiar slots. I do the exact same thing in CO without any changes to my gamepad configuration.

It's not cheap, and I have no direct experience with it, but I have heard wonderful things about the Xbox Adaptive Controller and how it can help customize a gaming experience to make them more playable for people with various disabilities. If someone has $100 to drop on a controller, it may be a good idea to look into it more.    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/xbox-adaptive-controller/8nsdbhz1n3d8?activetab=pivot%3aoverviewtab

I use a logitech controller with Pinnacle Profiler (yes it's no longer actively supported, but it looks like you can still get the software, or there is a successor, Padstarr).  There are basically 12 "buttons" on the controller (not including stick clicks) plus the 2 triggers.  Each button can be programmed with 2 functions based on single/double press or press/hold.  So that's 24 binds in one set.  The triggers can then be programmed to "shift" to a new set, giving you 3 x 24 or 72 raw binds.  So, I don't think the people who say that controllers don't have enough binds know what they're talking about.

Now, are there some functions that may be difficult/impossible to bind on a controller? Probably, but you can certainly do just about everything basic.

• 1 year later

Powexec_location commands are available to bind to a key, button or slot. ' /bind X powexec_location target Seeker Drones '

• Where we What key we want to bind it to = X
  • What power we want to use = Seeker Drones
  • Where we want it to go = target (could be swapped out for me)

Searching the forum for 'bind target location' or 'macro target location'

Also new improvements for controllers are coming out in the next issue (/interact & virtual mouse & more)

Spoiler

Enhanced Gamepad Support

• Added support for using the left and right triggers as modifiers with XInput
  • Added several convenience aliases for usage with keybinding

Virtual Mouse Mode

• Implemented virtual mouse mode for XInput gamepads
  • Holding both triggers now enters virtual mouse mode:
    • The left stick moves the mouse pointer. This is analog, with a small amount of acceleration past halfway pressed
    • Moving the right stick up and down moves the mouse wheel
    • Moving the right stick left and right passes through to your normal binds, allowing you to turn the camera
    • The A/Cross button is the left mouse button
    • The B/Circle button is the right mouse button
    • The Y/Triangle button is the middle mouse button
    • The d-pad will snap your mouse pointer around the screen
    • The X/Square button will snap your mouse pointer to the center of the screen

New Slash Commands

• /interact
    • Allows you to interact with objects in front of you as if they had been clicked
    • This includes contacts, doors, ouroboros portals, etc
  • /extra_modifiers [mod1] [mod2] [mod3] [mod4]
    • Allows setting up to four extra modifiers
      • These (currently) only work when no other modifier is pressed
    • Recommended for XInput users is /extra_modifiers LBumper RBumper
  • /controller_modifiers <first> <second>
    • Allows setting two controller buttons as modifiers
    • On non-XInput devices, when both of these are pressed together, the controller will enter virtual mouse mode
    • The arguments are the button numbers to use (from 1-24)
    • Recommended for XInput users is /controller_modifiers 7 8
      • (the two triggers, since these are currently hard-coded as virtual mouse mode on XInput)
  • /controller_vmouse <LMB> <RMB> [MMB] [Snap]
    • Configures virtual mouse mode buttons
    • By default, button 1 is the LMB and button 2 is the RMB - the other two are unset
    • Recommended for XInput users is /controller_vmouse 1 2 4 3
      • (which will give you the configuration from the above patch notes)
  • Further explanation on the use of additional modifiers from @Telephone:

image.png.910c0817f9a1ec7b8daf91116d854003.png can't get this exact one anymore, but similar are available.

PS2.JPG.a2a346b35c754d9628b55329535df9fe.JPG primary device is a PS2 wired controller with a usb adapter. it's awesome using this on a big screen

Edited by Troo

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum