Being Kind

Rahabina

*motherly rant on*

Just a PSA about kindness.  Help out others and keep out population healthy and non-toxic.

*motherly rant off*

Look out for new players especially one that never played this live, as long as we keep getting new players the game can stay alive

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumbs Up 8

Just now, Astralock said:

But... but... I keep hearing from people that everyone that plays on Homecoming are veterans from live and that there are no newbies. /s

I run into new players all the time, but I don't power level to 50 in the AE.

I have well over 150 characters at this point and have a habit of keeping on making more .... I guess it's the Kirby in me.

It's fun to run with new players and watch/help them figure things out ... without being too heavy-handed about it.

• Thumbs Up 4

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

*lookup from top of fridge*

*give thumbs up(*

*go back to nap*

=Z_Z=

• Like 2

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

32 minutes ago, DougGraves said:

I do see new players occasionally.  But it is notable when it happens because it is rare.  Of course I could see a lot more I don't know are new.

you can tell by the questions they ask.  it is nice to help them ❤️

Edited by Rahabina
  • Thumbs Up 2

The most toxic thing in the community IMO is people willingly power leveling random people. Although it seems like a nice gesture, it makes for people that don't understand how to get to various zones for running content, and can rob them of experiencing the game. As a result of this, then LFG gets flooded with leeches begging to be power leveled.

I'm a farmer sure enough, but I farm only myself, or people that I know to be competent with the game.

That all said, yes help new people. Show them how to run content, story arcs, take them out of the comfort of the AE or PI and bring them to the Shadow Shard, or Nightward, or running missions in Cimerora, or goldside. Teach them to make their own builds rather than giving them a.copy of yours, encourage self discovery and offer guidance along the way. Teach them to lead their own teams, and take a backseat to their leadership, allow them to stumble and learn.

Doing that, is the best way to be kind.

Edited by SeraphimKensai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

9 minutes ago, SeraphimKensai said:

The most toxic thing in the community IMO is people willingly power leveling random people. Although it seems like a nice gesture, it makes for people that don't understand how to get to various zones for running content, and can rob them of experiencing the game. As a result of this, then LFG gets flooded with leeches begging to be power leveled.

I'm a farmer sure enough, but I farm only myself, or people that I know to be competent with the game.

That all said, yes help new people. Show them how to run content, story arcs, take them out of the comfort of the AE or PI and bring them to the Shadow Shard, or Nightward, or running missions in Cimerora, or goldside. Teach them to make their own builds rather than giving them a.copy of yours, encourage self discovery and offer guidance along the way. Teach them to lead their own teams, and take a backseat to their leadership, allow them to stumble and learn.

Doing that, is the best way to be kind.

I disagree. People want to play how they want to play Telling them is wrong to PL is just an opinion. When I first started it was to play with my at the time BF, I just pl to 50 so we could play together. over time I learned more about the game. then about the lore, then made more toons some I would PL some I would not. ten years later I'm still playing I have left a lot of mmo but COH is the one that I like.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I do agree I think I bump into a new player once a week. I'm not 100% sure there all new some might just be alts pretending. But I try to help the people with help me and help anyone who ask. although the Taxi bots are long gone to keep everyone honest and helpful we can still do what we can.

I see a new player occasionally on Everlasting. Usually the moment they pipe up with questions and saying "I'm new..." you get a ton of people swarming on them offering advice, helpful hints, suggestions on what to do, and most of all welcoming them to the server and hoping they have fun. 🙂

• Like 1

Wait....we went from discussing being kind to voting for most toxic behaviors?

What is wrong with you maggots?  Do you hate Christmas?  DO YOU?

I want to see some freaking happiness, cheerfulness and a buttload of kindness.

Now get out there and trim that tree before I find something else to do with it!

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, WumpusRat said:

I see a new player occasionally on Everlasting. Usually the moment they pipe up with questions and saying "I'm new..." you get a ton of people swarming on them offering advice, helpful hints, suggestions on what to do, and most of all welcoming them to the server and hoping they have fun. 🙂

Same, I've seen whole teams go from full bore steamroller to answering questions, pausing for breaks and guiding new players through zones and mobs. Handing out insperations, IOs and buffs as if Santa Claus himself were on the team.

Reminds me of why I still play CoX to this day. Seen this on Everlasting and Excelsior as well, last Wednesday, random pickup group. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am learning patience.  That is as close as I creep to kind. 

Oh sure once in a while I will kick down 20 mil to someone who is posting In General questions on how to afford basic stuff.  Or give a couple Winter sets to an SG member I just met.  But to me that is just random.  Maybe kind, maybe cheating them out if the fun of learning, hard to say.  

But being patient.  When the team lead has over cranked the settings on a treespec.  When everyone piles up the elevator without touching the first floor on a kill all.  When I have to go pull Nightstar with my Blaster on a BAF.  (These are a few things from this week…).  Being understanding that everyone is just gaming at their own pace.  They might be new.  They might be kids.  They might be drunk.  God I hope they are drunk.  I have a constantly drunk SG friend that smashes *4/x8 everything.  We trio’d a LGTF with him and another drunk SG mate on 4/8.  I really did not think we could, but we sure did.  Hero 1 took a long time, only hiccup.  F-er has dome dull pain type power.  Anyways, patience.  That is the true kindness. To me anyways.  It is giving of my time, yet also getting something in return.  A buttload of questions like “are you high?”  “What the hell, really?”  “Have you never played redside before?  Never go that wayyyyyyy….”

Learning patience.  Or what passes for it from this  Snarky old vampire

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Snarky said:

Wait....we went from discussing being kind to voting for most toxic behaviors?

What is wrong with you maggots?  Do you hate Christmas?  DO YOU?

I want to see some freaking happiness, cheerfulness and a buttload of kindness.

Now get out there and trim that tree before I find something else to do with it!

This doesn't sound like the Snarky we all know and... love?   

Someone else get on your computer while you were away? 😄  

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

The most toxic thing in the community IMO is people willingly power leveling random people.

No, the most toxic thing in the community is intolerance toward others and how they choose to spend their free time and bullying them to play your way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, gamingglen said:

This doesn't sound like the Snarky we all know and... love?   

Someone else get on your computer while you were away? 😄  

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman’s ghost haunts the crypt i use as a gaming alcove.  

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Rahabina said:

*Look out for new players especially one that never played this live, as long as we keep getting new players the game can stay alive

21 hours ago, DougGraves said:

I do see new players occasionally.  But it is notable when it happens because it is rare.  Of course I could see a lot more I don't know are new.

Genuine question: does ‘new’ players count as returning players? When I came back I had no idea about all the changes, it felt like a new world, and found it very helpful to get a nice explanation/ the FAQs. 

Also, and I’ve spoken about it before, but it isn’t hard to find more potential returning players. I just search on twitter for “City of heroes” and find the people saying how sad they are that it’s gone and tweet em something like “If you didn’t know, there are fan run servers out there. Some with new content too. Homecoming is the most populated! Enjoy!”. The news hasn’t spread as far as you think, and about 90% of the time it’s a positive reply.

Edited by Xiddo
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

@Xiddo on Excel. Alts: Agent Betel - V_archetypeicon_dominator.png.5633ed21aff3ea441cdd024895843d4a.png  Athosin - Archetypeicon_peacebringer.png.9e329a8a509066a020fd4635ccbb4385.png  Nisotha - image.png.c44c4b37be8839626cedeee9a8966397.png  Anapos - V_archetypeicon_corruptor.png.f105930c83b316a39d147c7de8c7e017.png  Atomic Chilli - V_archetypeicon_brute.png.b1e0b25149b74ff24ce1fd3603064e6e.png  Bainbridge - image.png.fc49fb2cec0488ed5cd6d82f5ea9260a.png