Server Wipe or nah?

Stitchified

This is all temporary until either A) NCSoft gives the thumbs up, or B) we have a stable server in some country that doesn't reciprocate laws with the US and Korea. So, until one of those two things happen, don't get too attached and enjoy the ride while you've got it! :)

• Finland 1
I'm out.

It's not like NCSoft has defended their trademark over the past six years.  And, they would have to prove loss, if they sued anyone.  Since they voluntarily shut down CoX, they would have shaky legal legs to try to make anyone shut down a private server unless they could prove it used stolen code.

• Finland 1

HASS5Mj.jpg

-------------------------------------- Power Play on Guardian - Liberty Eagle and Stars 'N Stripes on Virtue - Vergeltungswaffe on Virtue CoV ----------------------

It's not like NCSoft has defended their trademark over the past six years.  And, they would have to prove loss, if they sued anyone.  Since they voluntarily shut down CoX, they would have shaky legal legs to try to make anyone shut down a private server unless they could prove it used stolen code.

That's not how any of that works.

• Finland 1

• Retired Game Master

Good Morning

I can not say of the outcome of this server - But please take in account that wipes are LIKELY to happen due to the nature of the situation the dev team are having as of late.

They will notify annoucements down the road - as of now, this is a test server.

Quote from discord:

TempestToday at 12:33 AM

-

"Are our characters going to be wiped on this test server?"

Probably? We're not sure. We're not running this server, but the assumption is not to get attached to any characters you make right now. Stay tuned for more info!

Cheers

GM Xellx

• Finland 1

hexapixel_alpha.png

• 5 years later
On 4/25/2019 at 4:34 AM, randomx said:

That's not how any of that works.

Sorry this took so long, but I don't visit these forums regularly.

Actually, that's EXACTLY how that works.  IP/trademarks are active for three years after the last use.  After that, they are considered abandoned.  After that, the previous holder has to file a petition with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, to reinstate the trademark. NCSh*t did NOT have a trademark on City of Heroes until they reapplied for it, on May 12, 2023.  There was no reason for anyone to negotiate for rights to use the names and IP at any time during the period 30 November 2015 (three years after the IP went inactive (servers shut down)) to 12 May 2023.  All anyone would have had to do is apply for the trademarks for themselves, during that time period, and NCSh*t wouldn't have any rights to their use.

NCSoft Application Information for "City of Heroes" trademark:

US Serial Number:
Application Filing Date:
May 12, 2023
US Registration Number:
Registration Date:
Apr. 02, 2024
Status Date:
Apr. 02, 2024
Publication Date:
Nov. 21, 2023
Notice of Allowance Date:
Jan. 16, 2024
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1
  • Finland 1
  • Microphone 1

HASS5Mj.jpg

-------------------------------------- Power Play on Guardian - Liberty Eagle and Stars 'N Stripes on Virtue - Vergeltungswaffe on Virtue CoV ----------------------

57 minutes ago, Lunar Ronin said:

You necroed a five year old thread just to try to win an argument over IP law that is now completely redundant since Homecoming is now officially licensed?  Really?

Ah the internet - you don't have to be right, you just have to wait long enough for the original poster to stop using the forums so whatever you say can't be argued against and ultimately feel like you've succeeded in winning the discussion.

Um actually... meme | Sticker

• Like 4
  • Finland 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

3 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Ah the internet - you don't have to be right, you just have to wait long enough for the original poster to stop using the forums

On the internet, nobody waits THIS long to be wrong.

• Haha 3
  • Finland 1

24 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Looks up to the thread.  Data shows otherwise…

Yeah, that's kind of why I all-caps'd "THIS" in my post.  This is an anomaly.  Maybe I should have just responded that @Glacier Peak could end his post right here...

1 hour ago, Glacier Peak said:

Ah the internet - you don't have to be right

• Like 1
  • Finland 1

Attention: Please seek immediate shelter. Shelter in Place. The Battalion have been spotted incoming and are wiping the servers as this warning goes out. They will wipe out memories of this event.

They may roll back everything to before we became cognizant of the fact this is all a simulation. In that case. Expect a rollback to 10 seconds ago.

Laughs aside I don't think I'd hate one server dedicated to being wiped every 3-6 months. Start fresh with the others, economy set apart from the regular servers, everyone on equal footing instead of the billionaires VS the casuals.

• Thumbs Up 1

Regular server wipes would also be great for clearing up the glut of players that lag up the servers. Not to mention all those laggy bases that would be wiped along with their respective super groups. 

• Thumbs Up 1