More APPs on the horizon?

biostem

With the various new sets that the Homecoming devs have added, (seismic blast, storm blast, etc), has there been any thought given to adding more Ancillary Power Pools. (APPs)?  I could see something like a storm APP for blasters, which incorporates some of the storm summoning powers, possibly with a "storm armor" toggle, which provides an effect somewhat like steamy mist, or maybe a self-affecting O2 boost with a longer cooldown, etc...

Edited by biostem
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

I think they could be a valuable addition. Instead of a full powerset a couple of these in an update. There are certainly many thematic "holes" in the offerings to various ATs. For instance, tankers do not have access to Dark, Psi, or Gadget-based APPs for instance.

• Thumbs Up 3

Having new powers (or "new powers," anyway) added to the game that are actually useful to existing alts and don't require starting over again from level 1 to use them would actually be pretty nice.

• Thumbs Up 6

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

Totally agree with this concept.  Spice up existing characters. @OmegaOne's reference to thematic holes is another.  Hell they don't have to even be APPs they could be regular ole power pools.  There was old talk back in the day about gadgets (Tech) and I (and others) have posited grenades in various fashions.

• Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

Well there is also the two unfinished Origin Pools - Gadgetry and Utility Belt. Not sure how difficult it would be to finish them off but I would love to see them made available.

And yes, there could be all kinds of opportunities for other regular power pools with a cool theme (like how about a melee weapon power pool like sword/mace/axe etc.)

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I've always felt that APPs were kind of limiting in one sense - mostly by dint of not giving sufficient choice. It would be great to see more - I'd especially like to see something influenced by gold side and Praetoria to compliment the Arachnos PPPs

• Thumbs Up 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

The (Homecoming) lowering of the levels for primary/secondary choices has been great for players who want to explore (and min/max!) Patron/Epic power pools; prior to this change, I found myself clustering up secondary power choices versus Epic/Patron versus powers available earlier that I hadn't yet fit into the build... now I find myself with a lot more options... I still have several characters that didn't respec to take certain powers 'earlier' because I am perfectly satisfied with those builds!

13 hours ago, biostem said:

With the various new sets that the Homecoming devs have added, (seismic blast, storm blast, etc), has there been any thought given to adding more Ancillary Power Pools. (APPs)?

While I don't feel like we need more Epic/Patron, I do think that there are a couple of options (synthesizing what was written by @FupDup and @Scarlet Shocker😞

• "Patron Pools" for power sets used by the (Praetorian) Heroes, paralleling what we have for Red Side

Players get a taste of what Synapse can do with his powers (in the Red Side "Who Will Die?"), and also see what powers Deadlock has access to when he takes his serum (in Eagle Eye's arc)... so I sort of feel that some mechanism for allowing players to pick some variant of "signature powers" could be make viable. I imagine there are a LOT of players who would like to have Penny Yin's Psionic Nexus as a recharge-intensive pet!

• "Epic Pools" that leverage some of the kewler (more useful) temporary powers

There are a handful of "temp" powers that run out (or otherwise have very limited charges) that it would be nice to have available as actual powers. Something to mimic how existing Epic/Patron pools offer what the Ring of Peebles does. Sticking with a Praetorian theme, I still want to be able to have characters that have been partially transmorgrified by the Devouring Earth, so they have access to ("Patron") powers like: Summoning Bees, summoning Eminators, AoE attacks, bio-like armors, etc.

• 3 weeks later

I'd like to second finishing Gadgetry and Utility Belt APPs. There needs to be a Tech-based APP that is as useful as something like Sorcery. I'd even be happy with a tech-reskin/rename of Sorcery. Some of those powers are very useful, but don't fit thematically with Science/Tech based heroes.

It's a hole that was never fully filled.

52 minutes ago, JulioThom33_2 said:

I'd like to second finishing Gadgetry and Utility Belt APPs. There needs to be a Tech-based APP that is as useful as something like Sorcery. I'd even be happy with a tech-reskin/rename of Sorcery. Some of those powers are very useful, but don't fit thematically with Science/Tech based heroes.

It's a hole that was never fully filled.

How about we cut Sorcery back from being so powerful?  Change recharge on Rune of Protection to 10 minutes.

Who run Bartertown?

14 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

How about we cut Sorcery back from being so powerful?  Change recharge on Rune of Protection to 10 minutes.

I'll leave that type of balancing for the Devs. I'm just saying that a very useful APP, on par with Sorcery, should be available for non-Magic based characters.

Pools like Speed and Fighting work for all Archetypes. Sorcery doesn't.

Sorcery is the origin pool for magic.  We also have the science and mutation origin pools.  They arent meant to fit the theme of characters from a different origin even though anyone can use them.

Gadgetry and utility belt would also be origin pools if they are finished,  not APPs.  Origin pools tend to be stronger than other pool powers but selecting powers from 1 origin pool will lock out the others.

APPs are the ones that open up at lvl 35 and PPPs are the villain ones that unlock at 35 after completing the last mission of any patron's first mission arc.

I would like to see more APPs.  Starting with plugging the holes that currently exist,  some ATs dont have all the different elemental pools available.  You cant make stone/stone/stone if there is no stone pool, for example.  I also would like to see hero side versions of PPPs get added.  There are plenty of living and deceased heroes that have a unique flavor of abilities that arent represented.  Positron with radiation mastery or Infernal with Hellfire mastery could be possibilities.

3 hours ago, TheZag said:

...Sorcery is the origin pool for magic.  We also have the science and mutation origin pools.  They arent meant to fit the theme of characters from a different origin even though anyone can use them.

Gadgetry and utility belt would also be origin pools if they are finished,  not APPs...

Thanks for the clarification. If Origin Pool is the proper term, that's what I meant.

If we are talking Specialized/Origin pools, I humbly submit this suggestion for the "techy" one:

I'd like it if the level 20 power (i.e. the one that requires 2 earlier power picks) to be some sort of recharge-intensive pet. I'd simply like to be able to have a power pool where my MMs can dump the various global enhancements to boost henchmen performance so that I can dedicate henchmen slots to actually enhancing the active attributes of the henchmen.