Fighting pool

0th Power

Fighting Pool  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Do you take the fighting pool on you controllers?

• All of the time
    • Most of the time
    • Sometimes
    • Never

Almost all the time, yes. I like my trollers tanky! I just revised my ill/dark to remove the fighting pool and still managed to keep s/l and ranged over softcap. It was a very exciting discovery, lol! The downside was that after I beefed up my other Defense powers, I didn't have any slots left to put into the powers that replaced fighting so I needed some 1 slot wonders. I ended up with 3 sorcery powers, so far pretty happy with the change but this wouldn't be possible with most troller secondary sets. Dark is pretty amazing!

Edited by mistagoat

SCRAPPER: Sir Kit Breaker-Elec/Shield *DumDum Pounder-WM/Shield *Snoglobe-Claws/Ice *Ice Flow Joe-Axe/Ice *TANK: Gamma Goon-Rad/Rad *Bernjamin Tanklin-fire/claws *Skullgrin Von Killjoy-Invul/SS *Frozen Snowshoo-Ice/Ice Quarry Goon-Stone/SS *BRUTE: Megahertz Donut-EM/Shield *Ohm Ahgerd Stone/Elec *Shadow Goon-Dark/Dark *Devilaint Le'Z-Rad/Fire *STALKER: Double OHM 7-EM/EA *Sir Kit Interupt-Elec/Shield *TROLLER: Chilly Lilly-Ice/Rad *Chlorophyllis Vance-Plant/Storm *Mechamoo-Elec/Cold *Johnny Burnsalot-Fire/Kin *Countess Gone-Ill/Dark *Lady Gone-Dark/Dark *Calpernia Tomik-Ill/Rad *Porkchop Scallywag-Fire/Nat *Gone Daddy-Plant/Dark *Merrie Melody-Symp/Dark *Toot Sweet-Fire/Dark *Lord Gone-Grav/Dark *Misty Burnsalot-Fire/Storm *Maddie Burnsalot-Fire/Rad *DOM: Scorched Eartha-Earth/Fire *Gazebo Malarkey-Dark/Psi *Clawsin Bloom-Plant/Savage *Diatomaceous Earl-Plant/Thorn *Permafrostasha-Plant/Ice *Corn Cob Earth/Earth *MM: Stupid Robot-Bot/Elec *Dark Leader-Demons/Dark *Silas Greenback-Thugs/Time *FENDER: *Dr. Gone-Dark/Dark *BAG3L-FF/Sonic *BLASTER: PinPointress-Arch/TA *Shimmy Burnsalot-Fire/TA *Lil Beefy-Ice/Fire *H0TT-fire/fire *CORRUPTOR: Shady Burnsalot-Fire/Dark *Kinetic Koala-Ice/Kin *Atmospheric Hazel-Water/Storm *Hami Dum-Seismic/Nature *SOA *Big Gravy-Crabbermind *Sentinel: NP Seymour-Elec/Regen

0 out of 8 so far. 

1. prefer to accentuate the essential nature of the power set combinations. And if I’m controlling, less need for a full layer of softcapping.

2. desire to craft individualized builds and take different/more pool powers for theme, coolness, weirdness, etc… Aim to build for a purple candy from softcap in at least ranged (which is usually fairly simple).

3. Teaming - tend to group more with my controllers than other characters. Usually ends up being overkill with all the buffs.

4. For max level, Barrier tends to take care of that need. Don’t typically need to be soft capped at a day job location standing still. Just long enough to survive when things go wrong. And I build barrier on every character as either primary or alternative Destiny ability.

(I should clicked none, but I checked my characters after answering the poll and realized my error - whoops!)

• Thumbs Up 2

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

Depends on the secondary, not a single one of my /dark or /time /elec /nature trollers runs it, every single one of my /traps /colds /kins and /rads /poison /ta /storms do. FF its about 50/50 depending on primary. No /emps /pains /sonics.

Depends. 
If I'm building for a +Def -ToHit build like /Dark, then Weave is just too dang useful and Tough makes a decent mule to hold +Def uniques.

That's generally only on an endgame build, I generally respec into Fighting if I'm going to go that route. Leveling I almost ALWAYS eschew Fighting pool on the way up because I'm focusing on the Pri/Secondary power combos I haven't played with before.

Edited by Argentae

• 2 weeks later

The truest answer is probably sometimes.  It is a somewhat misleading answer however.  I think I tend to use the second or third builds more often than many and on a solo or small team I'm far more likely to build not just with the fighting pool but for defenses/mitigation outside of CC.  Set bonuses will lean towards favoring Thunderstrike vs Decimation vs Purple for recharge and conversely the more large team oriented the less important that becomes to my build goal where recharge is king.

Not a fan of any power that is considered "must have" by 99% of builds so I try my best to avoid them. Same goes for Hasten. Ugh wish these powers were reworked in a way to make them not mandatory. Luckily not much elitism in this game, if I were in another MMO people would call me noob for trying to avoid taking powers 99% of the player base uses on 95% of their characters.

59 minutes ago, Sykar said:

Not a fan of any power that is considered "must have" by 99% of builds so I try my best to avoid them. Same goes for Hasten. Ugh wish these powers were reworked in a way to make them not mandatory. Luckily not much elitism in this game, if I were in another MMO people would call me noob for trying to avoid taking powers 99% of the player base uses on 95% of their characters.

Technically, the first power of your secondary is considered "must have"

Literally.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

Hasten is not mandatory, fighting isn't either (even though there are more builds that benefit from them than not). There's a difference between meta and mandatory.

Also I'll gladly inform you that your builds are useless trash, but that's because I want you to accept the fact that there is room for us to greatly increase your power levels which is impossible if people already think they are the expert.

6 hours ago, Sykar said:

I resemble that remark.

I used to make it a point to NOT take the fitness pool on my characters simply because almost EVERYONE did. 🙂

• Haha 1

• 1 month later

If I take the fighting pool on a controller, it's because I have something specific in mind for their concept.

My ill/rad is more of a "stand back and control small-scale fights without any risk" concept, so she doesn't need it.

My symphony/kinetic is a D&D bard, and needs to be in melee to make use of her kinetic powers, so I took fighting (and mu shield, so she's got capped smash/lethal/energy resists, and is very tanky).

Similarly, I rarely take hasten unless I'm using it for something specific, like perma-dom, perma-phantom army, etc. Like 95% of my builds don't bother with it.

• Like 2

I didn't vote (I don't think) but for me the answer is ALWAYS. I've found it to be the easiest way to get powers that do either/both:

1. Let me slot the precious Globals
  2. Run Weave, often slotted for Defense.

There are some Epic/Patron that let me do these, but often I want the Epic pool to complement the build and so the pools I want are not guaranteed to offer me powers to put (all) the Globals in. Also, at least for Patron Resist toggles, I tend to want to run those with a set bonus.

• Like 1

very rarely. I find that for a troller there are usually better options - if I'm in the thick of it - usually that's an indication that something's gone tits up

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

On a non-Tanker/Brute, I generally view the Fighting Pool as a poor choice. It requires investing 3 power picks. One of them is almost purely a waste (Kick/Boxing). Another is minimally useful on an AT that can't reach 90% hard-cap for resists (Toughness) and largely serves as a mule for uniques. The last - Weave - is inarguably useful. But it's still suppressible defense on AT that usually don't have status protection and it's only slightly better than alternatives which don't require three power picks.

I very rarely take the fighting pool, with notable exceptions being for characters that already have high resists/defense and I want to reach the soft/hard cap, or even less frequently, in  cases where the character has practically no defenses, and even a smidge will benefit them greatly...