Underrated Farm and Solo Builds

iBones

My Roman wall worker in 2012 was Spines/WP.  Spines benefitted from original Stamina (which I never respecced out of), inherent Stamina, and Quick Recovery.  Multiple sets of Kinetic Melee, and Pacing of  the Turtle procs in almost everything else, made her tough enough.  And I used Caltrops as my first get out of trouble button.

“Which I never respeced out of”

Yannow, I wish I had thought of that at the time.

Great Justice - Invuln/Energy Melee Tank

Ann Atomic - Radiation/Super Strength Tank

Elecutrix - Electric Blast/Super Reflexes Sentinel

Ramayael - Titan Weapons/Bio Scrapper

C'len - Spines/Bio Brute

Unless convinced otherwise, I have been messing around in pines on a Rad/SD Scrapper - Does anyone have any experience with the taunt from AAO being enough to keep mobs in Irradiated Ground?

My Rad/SD scrapper hit 41 last night and I have never had any mob flee whose behavior was not to flee by default (Tsoo Sorcerers, Sky Raider Porters, etc). You will have bigger problems in group play with lifting aggro from everyone else than with things running away (not that things will be living all that long, just when they do).

Rad/Dark. Not easy to build nor easy on the end bar but is a lot of fun and keeps you on your toes.

I just finished building my Rad/Shield - but prior to making a decision, I was heavily considering doing either Rad/Dark or Lightning/Dark. I think I am unreasonably partial to Dark Armor. It's not even better and it rarely fits my themes. Why am I like this

My Roman wall worker in 2012 was Spines/WP.  Spines benefitted from original Stamina (which I never respecced out of), inherent Stamina, and Quick Recovery.  Multiple sets of Kinetic Melee, and Pacing of  the Turtle procs in almost everything else, made her tough enough.  And I used Caltrops as my first get out of trouble button.

How did you spec WP?

I just finished building my Rad/Shield - but prior to making a decision, I was heavily considering doing either Rad/Dark or Lightning/Dark. I think I am unreasonably partial to Dark Armor. It's not even better and it rarely fits my themes. Why am I like this

I think it's a bit of a nostalgia thing for me. My first 50 scrapper was a broadsword/dark. And I constantly find myself wanting to make more dark armor characters.  Working on a spines/dark brute atm.

On another note dark/earth tankers are hilariously fun. Perma stunning entire spawns makes me smile.

A bit late but I'll throw some sets in

I use an Elec Melee/Bio scrapper as my main farmer, can destroy freakshow/council all day long, it took until deep into incarnates for him to get really good single target though, he is a monster now that though

Fiery Melee/Shield Brute, he is my AE farmer on S/L maps, can rum them all day, i've gone afk and left him in the middle of mobs and he is fine, despite only having 75% res

War Mace/Shield scrapper, not done a lot with him so far, but he has the potential, war mace gets some great AOE and shield is just strong for a farming build due to easily capped def, a strong AOE and decent resistance potential

A bit late but I'll throw some sets in

I use an Elec Melee/Bio scrapper as my main farmer, can destroy freakshow/council all day long, it took until deep into incarnates for him to get really good single target though, he is a monster now that though

Fiery Melee/Shield Brute, he is my AE farmer on S/L maps, can rum them all day, i've gone afk and left him in the middle of mobs and he is fine, despite only having 75% res

War Mace/Shield scrapper, not done a lot with him so far, but he has the potential, war mace gets some great AOE and shield is just strong for a farming build due to easily capped def, a strong AOE and decent resistance potential

Yerp, I'm pretty sure my issue with Elec Melee is the ST. Kinda sucks to have to wait until so far into Incarnates to feel adequate ST. Meh

I also saw a Psi/Rad scrapper hitting a farm the other day - actually wasn't terrible. I imagine if you did like Psi/Shield or Psi/Fire you could get rolling. Psi's T9 actually does more damage than Foot Stomp and Greater Psi Blade hits like a large SUV.

An old favorite of mine was DB/Fire - bit squish, but for fire farming it did well.

I mean at this point, the type of farming doesn't matter as much to me. I prefer interesting builds and less used combinations more than the meta - even if that means I lose X amount of Inf an hour. Fun is more important to me.

I totally get desiring fun over efficiency except farming, for me, has nothing to do with fun because it's so repetative no matter what build you're running.  I farm in order to be able to fund my fun and interesting builds, therefore efficiency at farming is paramount in order to give me more time to run other content on my fun toons and as little time as possible doing the repetitive farming.  Spines/Fire Brute fulfills this goal the best, and has the added benefit to not require billions to achieve superior results.

That being said, my wife hated the look of spines so much that she didn't want a farmer with it, so she rolled a Titan Weapons/Fire Brute and, while it isn't quite as efficient or easy as my Spines/Fire, it's very impressive and just as survivable, so I'd reccommend it for something not fotm.

If you're stuck on Scrapper, then /Shield is the only secondary to have that make sense, due to it's superior SC with it being a pseudo-pet. (Same point if going with Electric Melee primary and it's tele-nuke.)  Otherwise, I don't see the point since Fury + better/easier to achieve survivability on Brutes > crits in every other combination.

Whatever you decide, good farming to you!

I mean at this point, the type of farming doesn't matter as much to me. I prefer interesting builds and less used combinations more than the meta - even if that means I lose X amount of Inf an hour. Fun is more important to me.

I totally get desiring fun over efficiency except farming, for me, has nothing to do with fun because it's so repetative no matter what build you're running.  I farm in order to be able to fund my fun and interesting builds, therefore efficiency at farming is paramount in order to give me more time to run other content on my fun toons and as little time as possible doing the repetitive farming.  Spines/Fire Brute fulfills this goal the best, and has the added benefit to not require billions to achieve superior results.

This dude here gets it. I was like you OP, I figured if I was gonna farm I would try to use a build I found "fun" except after hours in AE farms, it certainly is NOT fun, so I just settled on whatever at least made the process go a bit faster. Not trying to convince ya on anything, just saying farming itself is dull. I got my farmer, and then I got my characters I actually do fun stuff on like story arcs, archvillains, and working on an ill/rad controller to hunt GMs since it's so rare to see anyone doing those these days and I never got to fight most of em pre shutdown.

I farm just as well on my Stalker (Rad/SD) as my Scrapper (WM/SD)  and maybe even better than SS/Fire Brute ('cause SS sucks right now, I should just strip him)

Psi/Shield would do well, Psi Blade Sweep is fast and easy to line up and hit 3 or 4 at a time and a great filler

Battle Axe would be a little better for farming than War Mace

And of course, don't forget Titan Weapons (TW/Fire, TW/Bio or......?)

Here is a crazy out of the box one:  Beam or Sonic /Bio/Psi  Sentinel

I farm just as well on my Stalker (Rad/SD) as my Scrapper (WM/SD)  and maybe even better than SS/Fire Brute ('cause SS sucks right now, I should just strip him)

Why are you saying SS sucks now? The crashes suck, but with top tier IOs that stomp every 5 seconds is ridiculous damage.

Pines says on both Tankers and Brutes that Mass Levitate is higher damage than Foot Stomp, so yeah I think that'd be a worthy farming AoE

But does that factor in Rage or double stacked Rage?

Pines shows Mass Levitate at roughly the same damage with a single stack of Rage with both sets on a Brute. When switching Psi Melee to scrapper the mass levitate damage jumps to almost 100 more average damage than footstomp with a single stack of rage.

The benefit of SS/Fire vs Psi/Fire is going to be the easier mobbing of Brute due to taunt. So, while the scrapper alternative Psi may be higher damage, the added benefit of clumped mobs to Burn as a Brute may prove to be a more consistent damage producer even with the crash. Now if there was a way to have Scrappers Burn not makes mobs run away....from what I'm looking at, Psi/Fire would be more damage than SS/Fire.

Now if there was a way to have Scrappers Burn not makes mobs run away....from what I'm looking at, Psi/Fire would be more damage than SS/Fire.

That sounds delicious and amazing and something I want. Now, how can we make that happen or at least close to happening?

Trust me, I would do some...unpleasant things for someone to magically inform me of a way to make Burn not suck on a scrapper.

Now if there was a way to have Scrappers Burn not makes mobs run away....from what I'm looking at, Psi/Fire would be more damage than SS/Fire.

That sounds delicious and amazing and something I want. Now, how can we make that happen or at least close to happening?

Trust me, I would do some...unpleasant things for someone to magically inform me of a way to make Burn not suck on a scrapper.

What do you think of using Tenebrous Tentacles from Darkness Mastery to help keep them in place for Burn?

What do you think of using Tenebrous Tentacles from Darkness Mastery to help keep them in place for Burn?

Yea I considered that as an option. I'm not sure how reliable it will be,may need to test it.

I've come up with an initial build, but it sucks down endurance and I need more slots. But Psi/Fire does look promising. Once I get something more useable in Pine's I'll start a thread.

Just tested Tenebrous Tentacles on my Rad/Fire Scrapper -

It missed 6 out of the 8 mobs, but for some reason, none of them ran out of my Burn. UMMMMMMMMMM

After choosing some combo that I did not play back on the old CoH live/test and that would fit a theme I ended up

with War Axe / Bio Armor. I enjoyed them both. Bio is very versatile after you throw some IOs on. It's add extra

dmg, yet I think it still has it weaknesses with no resistance vs def and regen debuffs and that brings me to Battle Axe

Number wise from min/max WM would be the better set as Axe, but there are so close to each other both have this perfect

180° cone power with a pbaoe and a smaller cone 45° for WM and 19° for Axe like the one for BS and Katana.

You can throw the pvp -res IO in a heavy hitting dmg and the +recharge KB IOs in the huge cone & pbaoe and that every single power has a knockdown or up effect helps quite a bit

Who dosen't like to juggle a npc all the time: https://gfycat.com/richdangerousbuckeyebutterfly

I found the single & aoe dmg satisfying, only if you run really into a mob with a high lethal resistance it's annoying but

it's far off the all or nothing you see often with psi.

Not to flashy, not to boring just a good solid set / combo

Kinda surprised claws was only mentioned in relation to widows so far.

Took my main claws/sr into a burn farm and was surprised when he not only was able to survive by turning insps into sturdies like I normally do for lucks with my spines/fa, but he actually cleared it in about the same time. And that was only with spin and shockwave for AoE.

I suspect that a claws/fa brute running Followup, Spin, Eviscerate, Shockwave, Burn backed by FA and FE would tear some #&$^ up.