How did you find that CoH was back?

TheZag

How did you find CoH Homecoming ?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. The not all inclusive list of choices

• A friend told me
    • I searched for City of Heroes
    • I searched for other hero games
    • I saw it on social media (Reddit, Facebook, ect.)
    • I saw a video (YouTube, ect.)
    • I heard while on another CoH server
    • Something else

Was playing WoW one day and bemoaning how much I missed teaming in City of Heroes.  The only time folks team in that game are for dungeons or raids.  Someone sent me a tell with, "You know CoH is back, right?" and when I said no, they sent me the url for Homecoming.....and here I am (gratefully).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Out of the blue, a former coalition mate from the old CoH sent me a message that she had heard that the game was back.  Apparently one of her old coalition mates had informed her & she was passing the word on.  She had no idea how to get in the game, but I did some research, found out about Homecoming, & got us in.  It has been a joy to me.  Thanks to everyone who made this happen! 

Edited by Mister Mass

Keep Redside - & Goldside - Alive!

Random COH google search brought up the recently made public secret servers.

** Asus TUF x670E Gaming, Ryzen 7950x, AIO Corsair H150i Elite, TridentZ 192GB DDR5 6400, Sapphire 7900XTX, 48" 4K Samsung 3d & 56" 4k UHD, NVME Sabrent Rocket 2TB, MP600 Pro 8tb, MP700 2 TB. HDD Seagate 12TB **

** Corsair Voyager a1600 **

On 6/11/2023 at 11:18 AM, Ulysses Dare said:

I saw the video of a secret server that got posted to the Titan Network and had a front row seat to the ensuing firestorm. Made an account on Bree then, after it imploded, on Homecoming.

I was on the Secret Server for Seven years. I saw the creation of Homecoming from the inside of the ensuing firestorm. 

I actually believed Homecoming would be shut down so I didn’t join until it had been running for Nine months. I figured if NCSoft wanted it shut they would have done it by then.

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

Let's Go Crack a Planet.

Hmmm I don't even remember how I heard about it, a friend of a friend or something like that, but that was years ago at this point. Otherwise made a few HC accounts, have a Thunderspy one, a Rebirth one,  otherwise I have the binaries and my own private server as a solo project for me to just kinda putz around with the database and goof off.

I was doing some spring cleaning and re-organization and came across my CoH/ CoV boxes....nostalgia set in and I went online and start exercising my search-fu; pleasantly discovering CoH was back with new stuff. 😄  Always loved the game...but got really bummed when my LvL 50 SS/Inv Tank got nerfed from "Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'" to "marshmallow squishy status" and left the game not quite a year after the Incarnation system launched. Still feels squishy so I've given up on Tank pretty much and switched to Sentinel as favored class.  

Edited by Go0gleplex

• Game Master
12 hours ago, Go0gleplex said:

I was doing some spring cleaning and re-organization and came across my CoH/ CoV boxes....nostalgia set in and I went online and start exercising my search-fu; pleasantly discovering CoH was back with new stuff. 😄  Always loved the game...but got really bummed when my LvL 50 SS/Inv Tank got nerfed from "Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'" to "marshmallow squishy status" and left the game not quite a year after the Incarnation system launched. Still feels squishy so I've given up on Tank pretty much and switched to Sentinel as favored class.  

I have a couple of SS/invul and they don't appear that squishy, then again my SS/invul on live was after the nerfs so with all the delicious set enhancements now I could never afford then I'm pretty much awesome 🙂 

I was missing CoH pretty bad in 2018/19 and reminiscing watching old YouTube videos, when I noticed some of the videos didn't look very old like the rest. That snowballed into me following some accounts and projects like SEGS and creating an account on the CoH emulator without the powers(I can't remember what it's called). It was great for nostalgia, but it didn't quite scratch the itch. One thing led to another and the whole private server drama kicked off after one of the YouTube accounts I followed admitted there was a private server. I ended up being in the Discord channel the night the "code" was given to RPMario. I made an account on Bree the second it opened up, and still play. I'll never stop loving this game! Thank you Homecoming team and everyone worked so hard to bring this game back!

This'll likely get me a metric butt-ton of hate.

It is what it is.  It's not that I'm not sympathetic.  There was just a limits to what was possible at the time.

I found out in early 2013.

Initial offerings were in no way ready for public consumption.
It took a lot of time, effort and yes MONEY to finally arrive at a functional setup.

And those 6 years provided:

1. A better class of hardware
  2. A better class of virtualization
  3. Better command, control and understanding of the code base.
  4. An actual understanding with NCSoft that provided a way forward that wouldn't get us shut down the second a stray hair appeared in someone's bum.

Having to do it "secret squirrel" artificially limited our pool of player candidates.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

1 hour ago, Hyperstrike said:

This'll likely get me a metric butt-ton of hate.

It is what it is.  It's not that I'm not sympathetic.  There was just a limits to what was possible at the time.

I found out in early 2013.

Initial offerings were in no way ready for public consumption.
It took a lot of time, effort and yes MONEY to finally arrive at a functional setup.

And those 6 years provided:

1. A better class of hardware
  2. A better class of virtualization
  3. Better command, control and understanding of the code base.
  4. An actual understanding with NCSoft that provided a way forward that wouldn't get us shut down the second a stray hair appeared in someone's bum.

Having to do it "secret squirrel" artificially limited our pool of player candidates.

Im sure some people are salty about the secret server stuff but not me.  Im more impressed by the fact that a group larger than 2 could keep a secret for longer than a week.

I had time to do a bunch of other stuff during those years and dont feel obligated to be online now that it isnt a subscription.  

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, TheZag said:

I'm sure some people are salty about the secret server stuff but not me.  I'm more impressed by the fact that a group larger than 2 could keep a secret for longer than a week.

It was our endless hordes of ninja assasins....

🤪

I had time to do a bunch of other stuff during those years and dont feel obligated to be online now that it isnt a subscription.  

Sure you do!  If you're not online playing CoH, you're going to gamer Hell!

• Haha 3

I happened to be staffing a multiverse sort of chatroom when someone came over the public channel and said that City of heroes was back and running.  I paged the poster and they gave me the link to the Homecoming forums, where I signed up and started downloading the game inside of 15 minutes.

I literally ditched two places where I was staffing to join City of Heroes, and I'm still here 4 years later.  Of course, the multiverse place rapidly crashed cuz.....to say the place was toxic was like saying Mt Everest was a 'hill'.  So I don't miss it.

I found out similar to others.  I was discussing games played with a friend and MMOs came up since he is a big WoW player.  I mentioned that back in the day I remember when WoW was new and all the goings on when CoH lost players to WoW being more PvP orientated.  It got me wondering about CoH again so I did a search and happened upon a video about the CoH shutdown which then led to I believe an article or other video about how CoH played on a modern system.  Needless to say I followed that rabbit hole and discovered Homecoming in May of 2019.  Even better a friend from Live was already playing and started our old SG back up.  I was pleasantly surprised.

And yes, I'll admit there was something wrong with my eyes when I first booted up the game and heard the fanfare music loading into the game for the first time in 12 years.

On 6/14/2023 at 9:22 AM, GM Crumpet said:

I have a couple of SS/invul and they don't appear that squishy, then again my SS/invul on live was after the nerfs so with all the delicious set enhancements now I could never afford then I'm pretty much awesome 🙂 

Back before the nerfs started, I could wade into a batch of 12-20 +1's/+2's with only a few DO's slotted without popping more than one or two Inspirations. It had a real feeling of being Invulnerable. Now...trying to take more than 5 +0's seems near suicidal. So...mostly it's a matter of perception. Kinda like us old folks growing up in the 70's when candy bars were a nickel or dime dealing with 2$ for the same, smaller bar today. lol

• Haha 1

I saw a post, possibility on MMORPG.com about CoH returning. Then got an email from former team mates during live. Glad I got back in shortly after Homecoming launched and didn't miss too much.

Dazl - Excelsior Grav/Kinetic Controller (SG - Cosmic Council) | Dazl - Everlasting & Torchbearer Grav/Energy Dominator

Shadowspawn - Excelsior Dark/Dark Stalker | Pyro Kinetic -Everlasting Fire/Kinetic Corrupter | Nova Pyre - Everlasting Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster (OMG)

I had feelings that the game was going on a private server somewhere and kept asking game devs from around the industry if they knew anything but didn't.  There just seemed to be too many conversations about the game in the wrong word tense that made it seem to be true.  Another friend didn't know and his industry friends didn't say anything either.

Finally a dev friend told me about this server and within a month** of opening I got on.

**Just checked: I joined on April 29, 2019 which is a day or two after opening.  So, technically within a month.

Edited by wjrasmussen

I went to Ouroboros all i got was this lousy secret!

On 6/15/2023 at 1:18 PM, iBot said:

And yes, I'll admit there was something wrong with my eyes when I first booted up the game and heard the fanfare music loading into the game for the first time in 12 years.

You’re not alone, *sniff* by a long shot. DAMN ALLERGIES!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Splintered Soul Project: (Nyght****) 21 and counting (18 max). 

DSorrow: “Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

I missed the shutdown of live I had quit playing because of a lack of time. Working 50 or 60 hours a week and full time student I just didn't have the time. When I graduated I wanted to come back only to find the game was dead. Fast forward to Christmas break 2021 and I googled looking for something else and happen across a write-up and found the forums and been back since. It's just as fun as ever.

On 6/16/2023 at 5:04 PM, Nyghtmaire said:

You’re not alone, *sniff* by a long shot. DAMN ALLERGIES!

Hell, I came back "secret squirrel" after 4-5 MONTHS and I was sobbing like a little kid who just dropped his ice cream in a pile of dog poop.

• Haha 1