Proc as a Verb?

SpookTheHerd

4 hours ago, srmalloy said:

Remember, this is English; virtually any noun can be verbed.

Not on my watch.  :classic_angry:

• Haha 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

3 hours ago, Snarky said:

Plus the sentence structure was derived by Yoda.  Sure of it I am!

A lot of Oriental languages are that way - the conjugated verb is pretty much always the last word in the sentence.  Also, having taken 4 years of French and Japanese (native English speaker), I can vouch for English grammar being weird.  I do love the fluidity though.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Sykar said:

Well good luck with your studies. I learned English by reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy with a dictionary next to me and I read it several times.

I'm curious: did you find English to be strongly similar to German?  I hear all the time that English is actually a Germanic language, but I see it more as a hybrid between Germanic and Latin languages (with many bits and pieces from others).  I've multiple friends who were German teachers who point out the similarities, but I took 4 years of Spanish (a Latin language), and I was able to understand maybe 90% of the words because they had a strong similarity to an English one with the same or similar definition.

13 hours ago, Snarky said:

Plus the sentence structure was derived by Yoda.  Sure of it I am!

I have joked about German being a postfix language, like RPN — or like FORTH, a more obscure language. FORTH bumper sticker: "FORTH ♥️ IF HONK THEN"

13 hours ago, cranebump said:

The US Army taught me Russian. Then afterwards put me in assignments where it was not needed. (Shocker, right?)

Сила есть, ума не надо.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Snarky said:

too late, i am a few months into my babbel experience on German.  i have a grammar book arriving Freitag!  i plan to study this a year or two.  hopefully get good enough to watch movies in German is my main goal, and read books.

Just don't mention the war!

• Haha 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

10 hours ago, Techwright said:

I'm curious: did you find English to be strongly similar to German?  I hear all the time that English is actually a Germanic language, but I see it more as a hybrid between Germanic and Latin languages (with many bits and pieces from others).  I've multiple friends who were German teachers who point out the similarities, but I took 4 years of Spanish (a Latin language), and I was able to understand maybe 90% of the words because they had a strong similarity to an English one with the same or similar definition.

I am an American studying German for about an hour a day the last six months.  There are many similarities and you can definitely see the relationship.  There are also a lot of “false friends” (words that look similar with different meanings). Take shoes.  Schuhe in german.  Gloves are handschuhe lol.  

unfortunately german articles change a LOT depending on gender of nouns and different sentence cases (accusative nominative dative…) and as mentioned previously the grammar is just wildly different.  German has a habit of splitting a verb in half ( compound words everywhere) and putting one part near the beginning of the sentence and the other half at the end.  Since english has fewer compound verb forms this seems alien to me. But it is only because i am learning the verbs “all built up” and when they disassembled my mind melts.   The Germans have a saying about their own language “German language, hard language”.  

Then you get to the grammar.  I have high hopes.  It is very systematic. I just do not yet understand the system lol.  I do see glimmers of hope

• Thumbs Up 3

15 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Take shoes.  Schuhe in german.  Gloves are handschuhe lol.  

"Hand shoe"?  I'm wondering if a lot of German words are the original words that English was based off of, but were phased out as we blatantly stole borrowed words from other languages.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Akisan said:

"Hand shoe"?  I'm wondering if a lot of German words are the original words that English was based off of, but were phased out as we blatantly stole borrowed words from other languages.

oh yes, english is directly a morphed child of german.  one of the reasons i enjoy studying it.  but the old tongue german has a lot of stuff english speakers found inefficient.  i have to learn all that.  modern german speakers will use english or world terms for new technologies and situations.  German just does not lend itself to new words, unless you want to mash up 7 words into one "sort of close" description of the thing.  

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, biostem said:

Ouch, now my brain hurts.  Thanks Easter Bunny . . . bwak bwak.

• Haha 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

3 hours ago, Snarky said:

Then you get to the grammar.  I have high hopes.  It is very systematic. I just do not yet understand the system lol.  I do see glimmers of hope

The good thing about German is that words are spelled like they're pronounced and pronounced like they're spelled. So if I see a new word I immediately know how to pronounce it, taking my accent into account, and if I hear a new word I immediately know how to properly spell it. Needless to say, as a native English speaker, this whole concept of words consistently following the rules is quite foreign to me. Don't get me started.

German grammar on the other hand... well, there's a reason that German settlers in England changed their language to be easier to speak and then started adopting words from other languages. Because... oh man! While German grammar is very logical and systematic, which makes it easy to quickly pick up the basics, the conjugation of verbs, articles and even nouns in their sentences makes it difficult for most people to become really good at the language. The tiny advantage of being able to say du (you - singular) and ihr (you - plural) is completely offset by how complex it is to change tenses and conditions in even simple phrases in German.

Of course, this is also part of why learning was German fun for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

23 hours ago, Neiska said:

Proc procity-proc proc proc!

Welcome to the Procity of Heroes!

22 hours ago, Sykar said:

Well good luck with your studies. I learned English by reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy with a dictionary next to me and I read it several times.

Imagine what the vocabulary would be like if instead of Lord of the Rings it had been the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant!

• Haha 1

On 8/23/2023 at 1:06 AM, Techwright said:

There are some similarities on the grammar side but the differences are much more prevalent. English is also not really a Germanic language but a wild mix with significant influence from Latin, French and Nordic for obvious reasons since they invaded and occupied large portions of the countries for centuries.

18 hours ago, PeregrineFalcon said:

The good thing about German is that words are spelled like they're pronounced and pronounced like they're spelled. So if I see a new word I immediately know how to pronounce it, taking my accent into account, and if I hear a new word I immediately know how to properly spell it. Needless to say, as a native English speaker, this whole concept of words consistently following the rules is quite foreign to me. Don't get me started.

German grammar on the other hand... well, there's a reason that German settlers in England changed their language to be easier to speak and then started adopting words from other languages. Because... oh man! While German grammar is very logical and systematic, which makes it easy to quickly pick up the basics, the conjugation of verbs, articles and even nouns in their sentences makes it difficult for most people to become really good at the language. The tiny advantage of being able to say du (you - singular) and ihr (you - plural) is completely offset by how complex it is to change tenses and conditions in even simple phrases in German.

Of course, this is also part of why learning was German fun for me.

German has nothing on Finnish when it comes to grammatical complexity.

Edited by Sykar

17 hours ago, Techwright said:

It's already happening.  Just...um...google it.

So is crime, and yet here we are fighting back!

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝