Proc as a Verb?

SpookTheHerd

Tonight I had an oddly sluggish time recruiting a team for the Malleus Mundi tip mission. I occasionally drum up teams to run out-of-season missions I've been holding onto to share the access I have to a what seems like a rare commodity.

In the time tonight when I wasn't getting any bites, I had one helpful naysayer PM me that "the mission's not going to proc" or something similar, effectively telling me that the mission would not proc as a verb. 

I do not know the word proc as a verb. I know proc as a noun, as essentially a bonus power granted by an enhancement. I do not know if proc is an abbreviation or an acronym for something or anything else. I only know it in context as a bonus power. 

Is there a verb form of it? The act of procing? Was this messager out of their gourd? 

I tried to ask them to clarify their meaning, but they of course had an automatic user is away response because of course they did. I suspected maybe they thought something like that the tip would not activate a door for the mission, or even weirder, that they were attempting to tell me that I could not even retain the tip beyond it's originating seasonal event, even though I absolutely had. Listen, I've got alts and alts and alts, and they've ALL got unplayed tip missions.

Or did they mean something entirely else? Would the mission have proc-Ed in season, in the context which I know, and granted a bonus power?!?! I was only running it to get a jump on all the multi-choice badges. Is their any rhyme or reason to this players warning? 

Edited by SpookTheHerd
  • Sad 1

I drawed things:

Gallery of my CoH Pantheon

2 hours ago, SpookTheHerd said:

I do not know the word proc as a verb. I know proc as a noun

You slot some IOs that grant a "proc", and when it triggers/goes off, it can be said to proc/have procced/is proccing.  For instance, you slot a force feedback +recharge IO in a power with KB.  It has a proc rate of roughly twice per minute.  You use that power, the effect goes off, and you can say that it or its effect "procced".  Along the same lines, let's say you're doing a safeguard mission.  I've often heard players hoping it spawns an AV.  That result could, in a sense, be a "proc" in its own right, and as with the IO example, if it does happen, the effect could be said to have procced.

Edited by biostem
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, "proc" is both noun and verb, kinda like "ski" is.  Not sure "proc" is the best (or even correct) verb to be using in "the mission's not going to proc" (unless said mission is itself a random drop/occurrance), but language evolves, so...

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Akisan said:

Yeah, "proc" is both noun and verb, kinda like "ski" is.  Not sure "proc" is the best (or even correct) verb to be using in "the mission's not going to proc" (unless said mission is itself a random drop/occurrance), but language evolves, so...

This mission is from a tip redside, and it does randomly drop.  About as often as you randomly find a bread aisle in a grocery store.  

10 hours ago, SpookTheHerd said:

Malleus Mundi

It's just another Malleus Mundi. I wish it were Sundi, cause that's my fundi. My I don't have to rundi.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Victory: reserved for future use
  • Indom: Schtick, Pummel Pete, Plymouth, Pilkington
  • Reunion: Ghost Legacy, 7s7e7v7e7n7, Mind Funk, Bluto
  • Excelsior: Phrendon Largo, Fred Bumbler, John van der Waals,Allamedia Jones, Tzapt, Sn1pe
  • Torchbearer: Phrendon Largo, Kenny Letter,  Bewm, La Merle, Enflambe', Rock Largo, Bulk of the Weather, Retired Phrendon
  • Everlasting: Phrendon Largo, Krown, Buzz Words, Bicycle Repairman, Dee Fender, Carmela Soprano, Radmental Boy, Beet Salad, Sporanghi,Sue Ahn Cuddy, Fukushima Technician, Snow Globe Girl, Thug Therapist, Apple Brown Betty

25 minutes ago, Snarky said:

This mission is from a tip redside, and it does randomly drop.  About as often as you randomly find a bread aisle in a grocery store.  

That may be so but I mostly know of it dropping from Halloween ToT door knocking/enemy slaying. I got the feeling the person was telling me I was unlikely to receive the tip (because duh no ToT event is running) and that they just might not have understood that I'd already hung on to it for 9 months.

However if there is an off-season method to acquiring another, color me intrigued.

I drawed things:

Gallery of my CoH Pantheon

Back in the ye olden days,  i saw proc explained as 'a procedure with a chance to happen' and the word proc obviously being pulled from procedure.  So the proc is the actual random chance event that could be used in a number of places.  The person not realizing that you already had the mission and saying it wouldnt proc meant you wont get a tip mission to drop from enemy kills at this time of the year.

In some games,  proc has expanded to mean the entire package,  including the item that provides the proc.  This has led many players to use the term as a noun - 'use the damage proc' when the item is the noun and the effect is a verb (usually spelled as as a variation of procced, proc'd or procing).  Its not much of a stretch for players to use abbreviations to shorten ingame chat,  they do it all the time with lfg,  tf,  magi,  ug.  And saying use the proc is replacing 'use the Gladiators Javelin: Chance for Lethal Damage for its chance for lethal damage'.  

13 minutes ago, SpookTheHerd said:

That may be so but I mostly know of it dropping from Halloween ToT door knocking/enemy slaying. I got the feeling the person was telling me I was unlikely to receive the tip (because duh no ToT event is running) and that they just might not have understood that I'd already hung on to it for 9 months.

However if there is an off-season method to acquiring another, color me intrigued.

oh, i thought they were talking about wizards tip that opens strike force.  yeah, halloween things only happen on...halloween.  

1 hour ago, srmalloy said:

Remember, this is English; virtually any noun can be verbed.

Yeah, English is a fun language.  Although so hard to learn due to the fluidity and the varying languages it has blended.

I am currently studying German (homage to my Nosferatu icon lol) and it is a very hard language.  The rules are incredibly systematic.... But there are sooo many lol.  Language is hard right after you learn hello and goodbye.  

1 hour ago, Snarky said:

I am currently studying German (homage to my Nosferatu icon lol) and it is a very hard language.  The rules are incredibly systematic.... But there are sooo many lol. 

One of the things that complicates learning other languages for native English speakers is that English has virtually lost grammatical gender. To use German as an example, there is der (masculine), die (feminine), and das (neuter), all of which are just 'the' in English. And to make things even worse, it's not consistent across dialects -- 'Joghurt' (yogurt) can be masculine, feminine, or neuter depending on which dialect you're speaking. And sometimes the article changes the meaning of the noun -- 'Der Lama' is the Dalai Lama, while 'das Lama' is the llama. So I sympathize with your difficulties.

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

One of the things that complicates learning other languages for native English speakers is that English has virtually lost grammatical gender. To use German as an example, there is der (masculine), die (feminine), and das (neuter), all of which are just 'the' in English. And to make things even worse, it's not consistent across dialects -- 'Joghurt' (yogurt) can be masculine, feminine, or neuter depending on which dialect you're speaking. And sometimes the article changes the meaning of the noun -- 'Der Lama' is the Dalai Lama, while 'das Lama' is the llama. So I sympathize with your difficulties.

o yes, i know lol.  my first few months in German is trying (not succeded yet) in getting comfortable with the genders AND how that changes all the words in the various cases, accusative dative, nominative etc etc.  They are consistent once you learn them, but a snakes nest to learn.  Then...as you memorize each German noun...memorize its gender so you can use it correctly.  sigh.  

Plus the sentence structure was derived by Yoda.  Sure of it I am!

As a German I can recommend learning Swedish! It has only 2 articles of which one is approximately used by 70% of Swedish nouns which makes guessing a fairly good choice when in doubt and the grammar difficulty is simplified to a large degree compared to German.

• Haha 1

As someone who's had more than one colonoscopy, I can tell by the after-pics that proc'ing was absolutely done, but I was not awake for it (which may or may not be a good thing?).

• Haha 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

9 minutes ago, Sykar said:

As a German I can recommend learning Swedish! It has only 2 articles of which one is approximately used by 70% of Swedish nouns which makes guessing a fairly good choice when in doubt and the grammar difficulty is simplified to a large degree compared to German.

too late, i am a few months into my babbel experience on German.  i have a grammar book arriving Freitag!  i plan to study this a year or two.  hopefully get good enough to watch movies in German is my main goal, and read books.

The US Army taught me Russian. Then afterwards put me in assignments where it was not needed. (Shocker, right?)

Edited by cranebump

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

20 minutes ago, Snarky said:

too late, i am a few months into my babbel experience on German.  i have a grammar book arriving Freitag!  i plan to study this a year or two.  hopefully get good enough to watch movies in German is my main goal, and read books.

Well good luck with your studies. I learned English by reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy with a dictionary next to me and I read it several times.

25 minutes ago, cranebump said:

As someone who's had more than one colonoscopy, I can tell by the after-pics that proc'ing was absolutely done, but I was not awake for it (which may or may not be a good thing?).

I had a gastroscopy done while fully conscious and I cannot recommend that because it felt like I needed to empty my stomach every 10 seconds and the examination took a while. I doubt it is much better if that thing goes up your rear end.

Edited by Sykar
  • Like 1

The main thing I remember is the doctor telling me I had a “pristine colon.” I wanted to brag about that, but it’s hard to imagine an audience that would be impressed by such an achievement.

• Haha 2