Why Blapper Over Scrapper?

Rinwen

12 hours ago, Solarverse said:

The problem that nobody seems to be acknowledging is that being in melee range is like a game of musical chairs.

Not acknowledging it because I haven't really been bothered enough by it to notice.  There are already sixteen collision boxes in that spawn.  Unless literally the whole team tried to dive into melee at the same time, it wouldn't change that situation much.    These days, I take Teleportation on my Tankers to zip into the exact middle of a spawn without worrying about their collision boxes.  

Ironically, people blasting a spawn to smithereens with KB or locking them down spread out with immob actually HELPS your crowding problem.  I'll take the packed spawn crowd any day over that though.

• Like 1

The issue is support sets want mobs bunched up so their debuffs more easily hit everyone. Also, if I had a dime for every time I went in to Fulcrum Shift and things got KBed away, I could buy me a few things.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

2 hours ago, Solarverse said:

And yes, Sents imo never made sense to me and was the biggest mistake the Devs made in this game second only to knock back, PvP and the aggro cap being lowered to such an extreme low. But, if I too had this wonderful care-free drug you all are taking...maybe I could like that too?  lol  😜

i can see sentinels making sense, they’re the ranged version of a scrapper - good potential, reasonable damage

masterminds on the other hand.. jeez, what a cruel mistake

one day in the year 2036 the first ever mastermind created back on live will have defeated a +1 minion, the MM community are hyped for this upcoming rare event

• Thumbs Down 1

38 minutes ago, MoonSheep said:

i can see sentinels making sense, they’re the ranged version of a scrapper - good potential, reasonable damage

masterminds on the other hand.. jeez, what a cruel mistake

one day in the year 2036 the first ever mastermind created back on live will have defeated a +1 minion, the MM community are hyped for this upcoming rare event

Have you tried Ninjas Lately? I'm telling you, they eat through mobs like a powerhouse now. I'm not an MM fan, but I gotta tell ya, that buff Ninjas got was a whopper.

Why?

Sometimes I wanna pew pew

sometimes I wanna pow pow

Usually I avoid scrappers because

DoTs scale with defiance 

Dots scale with scourge

scrapper dots get no crit though 😞 (says a prayer for the staff scrappers out there)

with the massive improvements to stalkers since live. I prefer stalkin over scrapping

Lastly I have an arrows/arrows blaster which is 100% ranged, (not by choice, there are no melee powers)

and it does not suffer in any way from a lack of melee abilities. 

Edited by Saiyajinzoningen

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

6 minutes ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

scrapper dots get no crit though 😞 (says a prayer for the staff scrappers out there)

Not sure what you mean.  The crit, if it happens, is applied in a single tick rather than appearing on each tick of the DoT.  But Scrappers aren't missing out on any crit damage on DoT powers vs. single-shot powers.

17 hours ago, macskull said:

If I wanted to ignore half my AT's potential I'd play a Sentinel.

Half the AT is ranged damage. The other half is defense/damage mitigation. I think it's functioning exactly how it's supposed to - somewhat blasty, somewhat tanky.:-) That said, they probably would've had more team utility back before the game turned to a kitfest. Now, you can build decent survivability on a blaster using ancillary pools. Assuming you'd need much survivability after laying waste to everything.

(This is off topic, but, if you consider players who build thematically, the Sentinel might be choice #1. We had that Cyclops emulation discussion in another thread, where at least one of the suggestions to build from the get-go was Sent, with RadBlast/WP, taking just the eye beams, then build attacks from the fighting pool. I'm planning on test-driving the idea soon, via a solo run [even though the idea isn't mine, and I really don't like Cyclops].  Speaking of emulation: wouldn't Iron Man be a Sentinel? Just curious about that. IM was my favorite back in the day [and I mean WAY back in the day], yet, I've never done an homage build of any type.)

Edited by cranebump

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

7 hours ago, TheOtherTed said:

Style points.  I know people have an irrational hatred for KB around here, but there are very few things as satisfying in this game as knocking an enemy off a ledge with Power Thrust or Ki Push, hopping onto a balcony rail, and finishing them off with Blazing Arrow (or, you know, one of those other blasts; I won't judge).

And don't worry, Tanker types - my blapper playstyle usually involves targeting those enemies who somehow miraculously escape from your precious and infallible aggro field.

Sometimes I wonder if they should have a "Score system" that gives extra EXP for doing something stylish like knocking enemies around :).

And I play with my twitchy, high mobility style constantly for style(besides just utility of always being where I want to be at all times), jousting just looks cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, cranebump said:

Half the AT is ranged damage. The other half is defense/damage mitigation. I think it's functioning exactly how it's supposed to - somewhat blasty, somewhat tanky.:-) That said, they probably would've had more team utility back before the game turned to a kitfest. Now, you can build decent survivability on a blaster using ancillary pools. Assuming you'd need much survivability after laying waste to everything.

(This is off topic, but, if you consider players who build thematically, the Sentinel might be choice #1. We had that Cyclops emulation discussion in another thread, where at least one of the suggestions to build from the get-go was Sent, with RadBlast/WP, taking just the eye beams, then build attacks from the fighting pool. I'm planning on test-driving the idea soon, via a solo run [even though the idea isn't mine, and I really don't like Cyclops].  Speaking of emulation: wouldn't Iron Man be a Sentinel? Just curious about that. IM was my favorite back in the day [and I mean WAY back in the day], yet, I've never done an homage build of any type.)

On Iron man, yes, Sentinel 100%.  A very defensive focused Sentinel but a sentinel non the less.

23 minutes ago, DrunkFlux said:

On Iron man, yes, Sentinel 100%.  A very defensive focused Sentinel but a sentinel non the less.

That may be the niche then.

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

22 hours ago, Captain Fabulous said:

Also remember this dev team REALLY loves Blasters, so they are far and away more capable than they ever were on live. The only major hole for them is mez protection, which you can get from Incarnates.

So... kind of. Blasters got a bunch of new secondaries post-shutdown but for the most part those were just taking existing powersets and mixing them together to get Blaster secondary sets. The stuff that really set Blasters over the top - higher HP cap, sustain powers, 80ft tier 3 blast range, fast snipe (with range bonus the other ATs don't get), crashless nukes... that stuff was all part of Issue 24 so the current dev team isn't really responsible for it.

18 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

One problem here is that Blasters aren't getting DDR. Soft cap all you want, but it won't take much for that Def to go bye bye.

Ageless Radial partially solves that, as does teaming with a few other powersets like Shield, Dark Affinity, and Forcefields, but for the most part outside of specific mobs the need for DDR on a Blaster is kinda overrated.

• Like 1

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

16 hours ago, macskull said:

but for the most part outside of specific mobs the need for DDR on a Blaster is kinda overrated

Not in the context of this thread though.  "Because DDR" is a decent enough answer to the question in the OP.  Why a Scrapper?  Because they don't need to be nearly as careful diving head-first into a spawn of angry blade-wielding or gun-brandishing enemies.  Defense debuffs are ridiculously common.  

If dealing with this complication is a fun challenge for some, that's a reason to choose Blapper, I guess.  But the difference here is quite reasonable.  In exchange for more risk, Blasters get more damage potential than Scrappers.  That difference just isn't as black-and-white as it once was thanks to the muddying influence of IOs and Incarnates.  But it's still there to some extent at least.

On 8/28/2023 at 8:06 AM, Rinwen said:

Again, I apologize for showing my ignorance, but... why Blapper over Scrapper?

Because that's what they feel like playing.  No other explanation is needed.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.