Trick or treat etiquette? Rules?

Gerswin

Can someone fill me in on the "rules" of ToT?

Is multiboxing ok at the hotel? Afk multiboxing? 

Is soloing at the hotel permitted?

Is it rude to have a team and not invite lowbies who are asking for invites?

If you are badge hunting for a certain enemy is it BM to leave without killing the full spawns?

Finally, are there any zones where the etiquette is relaxed and you are pretty much free to play as you wish without angering anyone?

9 minutes ago, Gerswin said:

Can someone fill me in on the "rules" of ToT?

If you are badge hunting for a certain enemy is it BM to leave without killing the full spawns?

Finally, are there any zones where the etiquette is relaxed and you are pretty much free to play as you wish without angering anyone?

Rules found here: https://forums.homecomingservers.com/code-of-conduct/

Multiboxing Policy

We allow a basic level of multiboxing on the Homecoming servers outside of peak times. These rules apply on a shard-by-shard basis (by ‘shard’ we mean Torchbearer, Excelsior, etc).

• If there are less than 1500 people logged in to a shard you may play with up to three accounts at once.
  • If there are more than 1500 people logged into a shard you may only play with a single account.
  • If you are caught multiboxing when there are between 1500 and 1600 players logged in to a shard, you will be warned and expected to log off immediately. If you ignore requests to do so your accounts will receive a 24h ban.
  • If you are caught multiboxing repeatedly with more than 1600 players logged in to a shard, all of your accounts will receive immediate permanent bans.

It is your responsibility to monitor server status and current player count if you wish to multibox. You can do this both on our website and in the #live-shards channel on our Discord.

An exception to this rule is Hamidon raid zones (The Hive, The Abyss) which have a limited population cap. No multiboxing is allowed in these zones. Breaking this rule may result in all of your characters being removed from the zone and short-term suspensions being issued for repeat offenders

Please note that this policy does not apply to groups of players simply playing from the same home/network. It only applies to individuals playing multiple accounts on their own.

Multiboxing is okay within the guidelines of the CoC quoted above. Doesn't matter if one or all are afk. Soloing at a hotel is permitted. It is not rude to have a team and not invite lowbies who are asking for invites - it's your prerogative to do so. If you are badge hunting for a certain enemy, it is bad manners to leave without killing the full spawns because it prevents future spawns from occurring (until they manually despawn after a certain time is reached or GMs are involved). There are no zones where the above changes. You will find more players in the most common areas with hotels and given level ranges.   

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

7 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

Um... what's a 'hotel'?

He's talking about a prime ToT farming location in Peregrine Island.  It's technically a motel, but either way it tends to attract ToT leagues because there's so many doors in close proximity, making it super easy to crank through waves of Halloween baddies.

• Like 1

Many, including yes me, consider it bad for to AFK farm your Halloween team, because they're doing the work and you're taking a portion of the drops.  I've seen and reported people AFKing their MMs in the center of the parking lot of said motel, joining no teams.  Bad form, imho.  Rarely seen anyone defend the position.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 8

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

1 hour ago, Gerswin said:

To me, both of these are bad manners.

Multi-boxing is bad enough if you have a team with just you and your alt accounts. I'm not sure how Leagues feel about multi-boxers.

AFK game play - without everyone else involved in the the game play agreeing that your being AFK is acceptable - is very distasteful. When it comes down to it, I find it to be unethical.

I'm not sure why someone would want to do this. I really don't have a problem with it unless you are somehow milking off other players game play.

There are plenty of other places a solo ToT'r could go and have plenty of doors to knock in rotation.

ToTing Event is a celebration. 

People can play how they want to play, but, in the spirit of celebrating, I would think that if you have room on your team you should invite anyone that is looking for a team.

That being said, in most cases, there is going to be a League or two running, and they will generally have room and will invite anyone looking to League-up for ToTing.

It's good manners to clean your plate.

Most of the ToTing that's run into over the last couple of years has been in Peregrine Island.

I think you can pretty much go to any other zone and ToT without running into a quantity other players.

There are plenty of other zones with the Motel-layout building, but you don't even have to have one of those if  you are a single player or a single player dragging around alt accounts/Multi-boxing.

If you can get to an area with 4 or 5 doors near each other, you can probably click on a door, fight, defeat, and repeat on those 4-5 doors in sequence and not have to wait for them to "recharge". There are areas like this in all zones.

I would guess some of the far end industrial areas (north or south on the western side of the map) of IP will be pretty empty and far enough out of the way that few characters would be traveling in the area.

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Thumbs Up 4

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

43 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Many, including yes me, consider it bad for to AFK farm your Halloween team, because they're doing the work and you're taking a portion of the drops.  I've seen and reported people AFKing their MMs in the center of the parking lot of said motel, joining no teams.  Bad form, imho.  Rarely seen anyone defend the position.

Huh I thought the poster was asking about going afk during a ToT run. How would a player afk if they have to click a door for the event to occur? Seems like that's not possible unless they're behind the mouse clicking the door to activate the treat/trick...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

Here's my A#1 rude activity and I hope everyone heeds this and acts appropriately.

If you're a 50 and the team lead within a league, even involuntarily, please, I implore you when you're ready to leave,  find another 50 in the league that's not a team lead and work with the league leader to get another 50 to take over the star for your team.  I'm sure most everybody reading this has been ToTing and suddenly found themselves fighting EBs +20 to them.

Yes it takes a little bit more of your time but otherwise the league leader has to scramble to fix.

Secondarily, bring a 50 when the league is light on them.  Once I found myself the league lead in KW and for a full 6 team league I had 5 50s in total choose from.  I couldn't even leave when I was ready to.

Edited by Hedgefund
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Um... what's a 'hotel'?

There's a particular building seen in lots of different zones — a 'C'-shaped two-story building with stairs on each arm of the 'C' going up to a second-floor walkway around the inside, and more than a dozen doors between the two floors. If you've done the 'Outbreak' tutorial, it's the building where you find the Rikti Drone practice targets. In Peregrine Island, there's one between the AE building and the hospital. A league can rotate through the various doors and keep two or three spawning tricks pretty much continuously; it's the building layout with the most tightly clustered doors you can find blueside.

The Peregrine Island 'hotel' is the most preferred location for this, because, as a level 50 zone, everyone can just whale on the trick spawns without having to worry about outleveling the zone (and having to go elsewhere to Tot) or turning off XP.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Glacier Peak said:

Huh I thought the poster was asking about going afk during a ToT run. How would a player afk if they have to click a door for the event to occur? Seems like that's not possible unless they're behind the mouse clicking the door to activate the treat/trick...

They park their MM in the center of the motel parking lot, not on a team.  Set pets for Aggressive (probably some combo of "stay, aggressive", and then set their AoE Heal or whatever to keep popping automatically.  Then they walk away.  Meanwhile you and I are the ones clicking doors; their pets then target anything that walks out.

Now watch someone go "oh hey, great idea!" because I spelled it out in public!  😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

Also: there's a couple of good spots on redside that people sometimes use.  One is a row of doors on a warehouse somewhere nearish the back of the Grandville map, within the walls; the second is a set of brownstone-type buildings on a street in... Sharkhead?  St. M's? that gives you like four doors on either side of the street within a short stretch.  The Grandville one is the more popular for the reason given above for the blue side motel, being in a 50 zone.

Go have fun!

47 minutes ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

They park their MM in the center of the motel parking lot, not on a team.  Set pets for Aggressive (probably some combo of "stay, aggressive", and then set their AoE Heal or whatever to keep popping automatically. 

Not even necessarily with an AoE heal on auto, although that helps ensure their pets stay alive; last couple of Halloween events, you could pretty much expect to have at least two Bots MMs running Group Fly to keep their pets in the air in the middle of the courtyard 24/7, like the people camping Adamastor in Echo: Dark Astoria.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Snarky said:

Rules?  Give me the candy.  Or else....

Near Dark (1987) - Rivers of Grue

Near Dark is awesome!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

Plus so many faces from other Cameron movies.  I mean its got Vasquez, Hudson and Bishop in it.

• Like 2

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

3 hours ago, Snarky said:

Except for the “miracle cure” audience pleasing ending it is a perfect vampire movie.  There are very few perfect vampire movies.  If you turn off the last two minutes this might be it

“If it ain’t sparkling, it ain’t a vampire”

- Snarky 

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, Black Zot said:

Does that mean sparkling water will suck out your blood?

I'm willing to stick a few of you in a deep vat of sparkling water to try.  We will need complete submergence for an extended time for a successful experiment.  Sign this waiver. Step this way.

• Haha 6

Dippen ze vatten

• Like 1