Horror-themed character suggestions

biostem

I want to roll up a horror-themed character in anticipation of this year's Halloween event(s).  I have a few ideas, but would love to hear what you guys think.  I'm pretty much open to any AT and powerset combination, but I tend to prefer non-repeating sets, (so while a dark/dark sentinel would be thematic, I'd prefer dark/something else or something else/dark, etc).  Thanks for reading!

• Like 1

A void-themed character might be an ice / dark / psi dominator. 

Ice control can represent the freezing nature of most voids. The "arctic air" (ie: void) aura is so bone-chilling cold that it slows, causes fear, and makes many creatures lose all sense of who is their enemy and who is their ally. 

The reasoning behind the choice of dark assault is obvious, as is the reasoning behind to hit debuffs that dark assault imparts. Draining away another's life force to heal oneself could also make sense.

The "head tricks" played by such a void-connected creature are represented by the confusion aura, as the closer you get to the void-creature, the more it clouds your thinking, even beyond the effects of arctic air. As you might expect for a creature of the void, psi mastery provides for better defense against incoming psychic damage, better status protection, and resistance to smash / lethal / psychic damage. After all, how many primal earth beings would understand the mind of a creature of the void?

Void radial judgment would be a natural pick for judgment. Vigor could be a good pick for alpha to increase the number of procs that could be used and also to manage the higher-than-usual endurance costs of this kind of build. 

More than just a themed character, if built well this could be a character you enjoy over the longer run. 

Good luck, however you decide to move forward. 

Edited by EnjoyTheJourney
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was curious about how a build such as above might be put together. What's attached is a possible draft build. 

Play around a bit with toggling on gather shadows and unleash potential to see how high defenses go when you cast unleash potential with gather shadows active. You can toggle on melee core hybrid and look at barrier buffs at different time frames when it's active to get a sense of the defenses that are possible for the build. Look at the heal from life drain with and without gather shadows active, as well. 

The build has 50% resistance to slow and recharge debuffs, which when paired with good defense totals tends to help out quite a bit. This build does have some weak points in its overall defenses (ie: energy and negative energy resistances). But, it's still quite sturdy overall. 

Single target damage is reasonably good, especially for a build this sturdy. AOE wouldn't be a strength of this build. But, the confusion auras should increase overall damage output to help compensate for that. 

Going back to theme, this build can represent a quite tough void creature that messes with mobs ability to act freely and effectively, both with physical and psychic effects. When it focuses its attention on one creature it can do quite a bit of damage. 

Edit: The earlier version, now deleted, didn't have the +3% defense uniques in the build. That oversight was corrected in the attached version. 

Dominator (Ice Control - Dark Assault - Psi Mastery),v3.mbd

Edited by EnjoyTheJourney
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Something using Illusion maybe.  My one toon with it was called Spookhouse Horror, I think he was a controller with traps too (he was using holograms for all the Illusions powers, so my head canon went).

• Thanks 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

My illusion/dark/psi controller is a powerhouse and the combo lends itself quite well to characters who are ghosts and/or malicious psychics (mine's an alternate-dimension version of Ghost Widow).  There's something to be said for "trickster demon" or "uses toxic hallucinogens" as well. Or maybe a living nightmare.

Edited by Shocktacular
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs, with a 4th in the works!
Praetorians can get to AE in Pocket D by going through Studio 55.

theres a pumpkin in titan/bio armor somewhere, maybe a blue cape and call yourself Linus Incarnate or something

maybe a fire/time corr zombie and you are reliving your last moments alive before burning to death forever

water/whatever blaster named Willy Zonko, harry potter x wonka thing.  you might be the first brown water blaster to make it past level 10

slutty succubus demon/dark mm might be a sure fire winner for a costume contest

A headded horseless horseman might be too long of a name but a decent enough reason to make an axe/fire armor alt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, biostem said:

want to roll up a horror-themed character in anticipation of this year's Halloween event(s).  I have a few ideas, but would love to hear what you guys think.

IRS auditor, director of the NSA, flat-Earther, Harvey Weinstein, human trafficker, one of those weird people who never stops talking about his flashlight collection...

• Sad 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

I absolutely love Necro/dark MM's. So much so that I made a second one last Halloween and gave it a similar build to my first. I'll often dual box them together and just have a beastly zombie horde where mobs have floored chance to hit and are in double tar patches while getting rushed by my swarm of zombies.

Otherwise with costumes and back stories you can do anything. I have a SS/Dark Armor Brute that is a living manifestation of a person's worst nightmare.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, SeraphimKensai said:

with costumes and back stories you can do anything. I have a SS/Dark Armor Brute that is a living manifestation of a person's worst nightmare.

I have one of those.  Psi/Ninjitsu/Mako.

phant.thumb.jpg.2addacf1c802a37fc9a2c290673d2a79.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

I've been toying around with a few characters, but really haven't settled on anything definitive yet.  Right now, I've got:

Elec/Poison controller, who's also dipping into the experimentation pool for that mad scientist vibe.

Dark/Psi dominator with an "evokes nightmares" angle to her.

I have a couple of necromancy MMs already, but was thinking of giving /nature a try, since I haven't done that combo yet, (colored black/dark green/browns to give a graveyard or swamp/bog kind of feel).

Spines or Savage Melee with Bio Armor that's been recolored bright red, paired with a costume with extensive use of the Bio-Organic pattern (pink and red) can give a nice base layer for a horror game style of biological flesh monster. For a ranged/Sentinel option, Storm or Water blast lets you have nasty looking mist spraying attacks that can give a real disease-spreading look when recolored.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/28/2023 at 9:50 AM, biostem said:

I want to roll up a horror-themed character in anticipation of this year's Halloween event(s).  I have a few ideas, but would love to hear what you guys think.  I'm pretty much open to any AT and powerset combination, but I tend to prefer non-repeating sets, (so while a dark/dark sentinel would be thematic, I'd prefer dark/something else or something else/dark, etc).  Thanks for reading!

Hmm a bit hard to suggest things I've not already made or are making 😛

That said, depends on what sort of horror you're going for but here's 100+ ideas and mixes of ideas to think about.

1. Plain suited character with some variation of The Tax Man/ IRS would be horrific, or some other sort of debt collector theme given the current clime.

2. Something the complete opposite of Snarky (horror is a perspective like the Addams Family after all... :P)

3. Something Akin to making people panic that servers are permanently shutting down this month

4. An undead Christmas Bunny Pirate

5. A stalker with a greenish brown plant theme and zombie face called Rotten Collard Greens or any other rotten veggies themes

6. Seasonal Layoffs

7. Cannibal ATM

8. The Creature from Crab Rangoon(play on creature from the black lagoon)

9.  Concert Fees Vampire

10. Pokie (opposite of a Taylor Swifty)

11. Surgeon Slow (opposite of Taylor Swift)

12. Hospital Bill  

13. Butter Knife (dipped in salt)

14. Inconvenient Store Clerk

15. Mother In Law

16. Horror Director theme costumed toon that is an mm (I already have one though hehe)

17.  Tooth Ache theme variations

18. Migraine theme variations 

19. The Ghost of your meanest teacher

20. The ghost of your worst Ex

21. The ghost of your worst boss

22. Zombie giggolo ... business has been unfortunately falling off...

23. (Insert x)-phobia

24. Death on Holiday (insert your holiday theme as one wishes)

25.  Gas Pump Ken (not to be confused with barbie/ken mind you..... mind you....)

26.  Ubermenschen Eats (like uber eats but a 5th column zombie)

27. Spectre of Layoffs (play on words too there)

28. Spectre of (any thing someone fears to loomingly occur in the near future).

29. Anti-Anesthetic Man

30. Creepy Janitor themes

31. Creepy co-worker themes

32. Greasy Granny Girlfriend

33. Credit Maxing boyfriend/girlfriend

34. Hangnail

35. Dental Themes of various sorts, especially sadistic ones

36. Robo Caller

37. Any thematic "Karen"

38. Demon-itized Channel

39. Liberal Arts Degree (would you like fries with that?)

40. Job Head Hunter (character with no head)

41.  Pumpkin Spiceless

42. Office Coffee (a very vile drink and brown water theme).

43. Free Range Zombie Chicken (says "mmm tastes like human"

44. Zombie Peep

45. Halloween candy themed ones(as many hate some in the following list:

• Circus Peanuts
  • Candy Corn 
  • Wax Cola Bottles
  • Necco Wafers
  • Peanut Butter Kisses (High Point, NC playfully banned these back in 2018 lol)
  • Tootsie Rolls
  • Smarties
  • Licorice
  • Good and Plenty
  • Mary Janes

46. Already Christmas themed (horrific and or anger inducing)

47. No Cell Service

48. Shrink-Flation Funeral Director

49. Heavy Month (room left for interpretation...)

50. Crunch Time Management

51. Some sort of Changeling (Im calling it right now that the TV series currently running on that theme isnt supernatural but a misdirect addressing only themes of child loss)

52. Identity Thief (this could get creative with player that makes lots of different costumes of other known players on their server).

53. Unsweetened Iced Tea (only US Southerners may get it)

54. Sweetened Iced Tea (only US northerners may get it)

55. Eggs with Ketchup (see above).

56. Buttered Grits (see above)

57. Putrid Poutine 

58. Natto on Toast (google natto if you dont know what it is... for some it smells like 3 day old smelly socks)

59.  Ripe Surströmming (a fish zombie)

60. Toe Cheese Tom

61. Mariachi Mummy

62.  Narcissist Mummy (they're wrapped up in their own issues)

63.  Flares Wolf (different options there...)

64. Invasive Species (many different themes)

65. Skunk Ape, Big Foot, Sasquatch, Yeti or similar themes with name variations.

66. Use Car Salesman

67. Loan Officer

68. Undead Influencer (social media pariah)

69. Studio Exec

70. Daymare (as opposed to nightmare)

71. Worst Toilet Cleaner 

72. Infernal Instructions (you know... ikea funiture instructions)

73. Forumite themes.

74, Carolina Reaper, Ghost Pepper or variations on those themes/names

75. Cordyceps themes

76. Bad Hair Horror

77. Forever Hiccups(could be an evil clown...)

78. HR Spook n Stuff (gotta know the old tv show)

77. Left Over (insert food name) (zombie theme)

78. Dropped Phone

79. Pinkeye (insert name starting with a P)

80. Bank Fees

81. Busy Bed Bug

82. Bloated Tick

83. Nether Leech (as in its in an unmentionable place of pain)

84.  Standardized Test Teacher

85. Overslept

86. Abandoned (insert theme)

87.  Just a Rash

88. Wither Brain

89. Telemarketer

90. Encapsulated Marginal (Anthropology joke)

91. Missing Jigsaw Piece

92. Bad Breath (insert b name) (zombie)

93. Out of Work Zombie

94. Bad Album/broken record themes(for sonic or symphonic etc)

95. (insert name) Cooties (healer and buff/debuffers )

96. Drawn and Quartered

97. Death by (insert theme)

98. No Legacy

99. Exuviae themes

100. (Insert Scary Controversial Topics you want to risk making a toon of that may not get the ok for... consider at your own... scary.... risk).

Edited by Sanguinesun
  • Haha 1

Riffing off the last post ...

Necro / poison MM called "Health insurance CEO"

Lich is named "Complicated Rules"

2 grave knights are named "Preapproval" and "Recission"

3 zombies are called "Refuse Valid Claims", "Screw Over Doctors", and "Poor Data Security"

Dark blast summon = "Refuse Valid Treatments"

Gloom summon = " Political Contributions"

Life drain summon = "Poorly Trained CS (CS = customer service)"

This would probably be at least a bit funnier if so much of it wasn't true. 

• Haha 1