NCSOFT & Homecoming License Announcement

Well, holy smokers, it actually happened.  We're not only back but we're legal now!  This is great news to start the year with!

Everlasting's Actionette 

Also Wolfhound, Starwave, Blue Gale, Relativity Rabbit, and many more!

My mind is officially blown:  Pigs really can fly after all!

Grats to the entire HC team, and to every player and person who has supported Homecoming and CoH.  May we all have many more years of CoH fun ahead of us.

Cheers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mythus54 said:

Yeah, I read the FAQ. That doesn't answer my question. "Our hope is they will consolidate" and "We're the only officially licensed server" is all that's said. 

That doesn't say what happens to other servers. Are the Homecoming team now legally obligated to report any other servers they know about to NC Soft? Can Homecoming issue a C&D on behalf of NC Soft? These are things we do not know. 

The Homecoming team doesn't speak for or have any control over any other server. I think you may find your answer by asking these questions to the other servers you mentioned. 

• Like 1
  • Microphone 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

On 1/4/2024 at 12:55 PM, Arcalian said:

Tequila will not longer be supported?  I assume we'll get instructions on what to do instead?

We need more information on this as well.

1 hour ago, I.A.D said:

Similar to the end of the Safe Mode client, I imagine they may tell Tequila users to install HC launcher and report any technical issues they have left to fix.  They can't fix preferential ones. ("I've used Tequila for years, so 😝" isn't fixable.)

After that period, they'll just take the manifests offline on a given date and that's the end.  Tequila would only work at that point with other servers or Titan Network's utilities. (Or anyone else who offers a manifest for something else.)

I doubt there will be a "you've got two weeks, stop using Tequila" kind of deal, and they have plenty of work to do in other areas first (Last MassivelyOp article gave "very very soon" as a ETA of the Beta cycle for the next Page release) but Tequila and Island Rum support (along with any other manifest patcher... is Penguin on the Rocks still a thing?) my guess is they are very likely all going to stop being able to patch Homecoming this year at the latest.

Edited by uninventive
  • Like 1

I am not a chat bot, I think.  I just drink a lot of caffeine and type too damn much.

Coming back to Homecoming?  Welcome home!  Here’s a Field Guide!

First of all, /em holdtorch to all players who are no longer here to play with us, but who would LOVE what has happened  LTpEXNv.gif

Second, there will be many new people who have never played CoH before, and I hope that people here will be kind, helpful and patient. We ALL were there at one time.

Bravo to all involved for an amazing accomplishment.

• Like 7
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1
y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

A couple of thoughts:

1. What a time for my monitor to get broken!  I wanna play!!
  2. Wait, the first one should be "congratulations!" on this amazing and really surprising development!  Pretend I put that in there first.
  3. "City Council" eh?  I'm on to you guys, you're going to send werewolfs and draculas after us!  Just try me, I'm not scairt!
  • Haha 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

uhm, if they can shut it down...they already did when was still profitable...they can do (sooner o later)

and now allow it for free? there's for sure a catch (or multiple),

especially since in their quarterly reports...sales are declining

let's hope for the best, and prepare for the worst.

• Thumbs Up 1

Online numbers on Excelsior yesterday evening topped 1,200-1,300 three red pips high load.

I imagine they are here for the moment to celebrate but a moment can be short or long who knows?

There are some very good questions in this thread about the details.

On 1/5/2024 at 5:23 AM, fatal said:

Congrats! Will homecoming be offering free lvl boost to bring people over from other groups?

It's hard to miss the farming spams ... doorsitters looking for farms or farmers looking for doorsitters.

I don't condone that behavior, but it is there if you want it.

You can also get x2XP boosts from the P2W vendors, but you don't get any influence when you get the xp boosts.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

8 hours ago, I.A.D said:

@Arcalian

Just use the Homecoming installer.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/getting-started/

Edited by UltraAlt

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

On 1/4/2024 at 7:34 AM, Homecoming said:

What does this mean for development? Will Homecoming be able to go open source?
Development will continue, and we will be expanding the development team under the terms of the license agreement. We do not anticipate moving away from a closed-source development model.

So, I'm curious about this.  CoH will continue as a closed-source project.  But can you incorporate open source code if that code allows a close-source product?  There's some very permissive licenses out there, notably Apache 2.0 and Three Clause BSD, that are able to work with a closed-source model.  Those have been incorporated into regular commercial products and there's no requirement to release source code.

OK same question, but now for commercial code.  If a commercial product (let's say hypothetically Unreal engine) allows freebie products and no requirement to release source code, could it be used in new CoH development?  (I think Unreal currently does allow free products to use a regular closed source/proprietary model, but I didn't go back and check.)

Edited by gameboy1234

43 minutes ago, pawstruck said:

Put me in the camp of "ok cool I guess, but does this do anything good?"

I really might be dumb, but I don't get it.

I think it does a lot.  First, now they are a legit business.  As mentioned in the announcement they now can select any hosting vendor they want, not just those that don't ask uncomfortable questions.  Also I think any contributors who might have felt uneasy working with someone who has no license can now help out in good conscience.  It's worth a ton imo.

• Like 3

Heartfelt congratulations to the Team!!  I have been away for a few months but the itch to play is real. 

And now that I'm introducing the MCU to my two daughters, I won't be coming back alone.

This place will always be home.

• Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Truly the best gaming community I've ever been a part of.  I've been playing this game my entire adult life when i think about, and now 20 years later i'm sharing this game with my 7 year old.   Incredible job to the people putting in so much time and effort, thank you so much. 

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

How many years before we're reading a forum post announcing that:

"it is with great sorrow that we announce Homecoming is shutting down, because NCSoft is a company who has control over their assets (that we've relinquished control of and never made open source) and so therefore we are sadly going to have to take City of Heroes offline once again"

maybe I'm just traumatized but... Somehow this announcement fills me with dread. What, exactly, do we gain from this? We had our server. We had the game. Now... they have the game, and once again they are leasing it to us. It feels like suddenly, a collar has been placed around our necks, and we are once again at the behest of those who had hurt us.

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/5/2024 at 6:12 AM, USCI said:

I'm not management here, but I do know the answer to this one....nope.  Once they had shut down the game, they destroyed the hard drives and repurposed the servers.

What about from that underground server? I remember someone had a copy of accounts and toons, and if you had access to that server you could get them back. I've remade most of my favorite toons but I would still love to see all those old characters again.

41 minutes ago, gabrilend said:

It feels like suddenly, a collar has been placed around our necks

I think that to some degree, the collar has always been there - it's just a question of who is holding the other end of the leash.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1