Please, is there some way to make the Beastmaster Pets SHUT UP?! >.<

My main is a Beast Master/Empathy Mastermind, and I was having a GREAT time with them - right up until I unlocked the last 'pet upgrade' power. Now that this is in effect, my wolves - both the small ones and the big one - howl loudly every 2.5 seconds. It is GRATING, especially when I'm just trying to read some mission-text. It is actively making me NOT WANT TO PLAY THAT CHARACTER. I can't stand listening to it anymore!

There has to be something that can be done. An audio-file I can delete in a folder somewhere. A mod, maybe? There certainly doesn't seem to be anything I can do in-game, short of just turning off the sound altogether...

There are ways to mute certain sound effects. Basically you take a an OGG file that's just silence, give it the same name as the sound effect, and drop it in Homecoming\data\sound\ogg\frontend folder. The tricky part is figuring out the name of the sound you're trying to replace.

• Thumbs Up 1

It'd be nice if there were a 'sleep' command where they'd lay down and be quiet, sadly there is not. As @Captain Fabulous said your only other option is to silence/alter the appropriate sfx files. Deleting them won't work as they are packaged into the game's .pigg files, you can redirect the game to look at alternate sfx files though, sfx files with the same name in the appropriate file hierarchy but that have different sounds or are even silenced.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

I looked at the City Mod Installer tool (great tool, so great).  But the only thing in there that related to modding Beast is puppy hit whimper.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

I deal with severe misophonia, and because of this debilitating issue that has the potential to put me in crisis, I've not had the game sounds on since live. Emp aura on auto makes me nauseated, and the dark controller pet, the wolf that constantly goes "bark, bark, bark!" every few seconds when idle, has come close to putting me into a full-blown panic attack. There are a few from the Sonic Blast set that trigger my miso similarly. When I'm feeling up to it, I'll try and fiddle with the sound files and see if I can't turn nix the more painful, bothersome noises for me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crossie said:

Am I the only person who plays this game with no sound?

Mine may as well be off, most times. I run a lot on my laptop, and there are certain things I cannot easily hear at low volume. Like glowies. I end up slipping on the headphones for those sometimes. On the whole, the game sounds don't really bother me. But those REALLY BRIGHT custom effects? Another story...

• Haha 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

4 hours ago, Crossie said:

Am I the only person who plays this game with no sound?

I do sometimes, but I do generally prefer to be able to hear it at least a little, to help find glowies etc.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

11 hours ago, Captain Fabulous said:

There's also this list

https://homecoming.wiki/wiki/Modding/Sounds/Powers

If I had to take a guess I would say it might be BM_TameBeasts_Attack_01.ogg

No, that's the effect you get when you use the 'Tame Beasts' power - that is, the 'Upgrade' power itself. A nice, solid growl. It is as a RESULT of this, that the wolves start to emit loud, piercing howls on a continuous basis.

As for turning off sound, I guess that'd be a solution - but, as Clave mentioned, that means you can't hear the glowies, which is a bit of a lifesaver otherwise! And I kinda' do wanna be able to hear the REST of the game too, for that matter. I don't even mind the noise in the middle of a raid or an event or something, when you've got 20 people all setting off their powers at the same time - it's chaotic, but it helps create the right kind of atmosphere, and crucially it doesn't last very long. What absolutely grinds my gears is when I'm just traveling around, opening glowies, talking to NPC's, reading clue-text or whatever, and my wolves insist on passing the time with an endless howl-off... what finally made me snap was the first mission of First Ward, which basically involved traveling around to 4 different very wordy NPC, then a brisk fight that ends with ANOTHER chat with an NPC, then dashing around for four MORE long chats... all while pursued by that persistent "AWOOOO! AWOOO! AWOOOOOO!" while I'm trying to read. >.<

EDIT: I looked through that list on the wiki, and while I'm not certain how to FIND those files to check, I'm fairly certain that the relevant file is SOUND\OGG\DOG\DOG_TERRIFYINGROAR_01 - which is used by both the Howler Wolf and Dire Wolf pets. Question is, how do I go about replacing them? As you said, they're all wrapped up in .pigg files.

EDIT 2 - EDIT HARDER: Nevermind, I managed to figure it out with a bit of reading! Just a matter of creating the appropriate sub-directories under 'data' and then copying that silent file in there as 'DOG_TERRIFYINGROAR_01', eh? Much quieter now! Thanks for all the help, guys! 😄

EDIT 3 - EDIT HARD WITH A VENGEANCE: Turns out, there's multiple DIFFERENT howls that they use, all seemingly tied to various temporary self-buffs... hence why they keep using them even out of combat. So, I'll have to hunt them each down in turn and silence THOSE as well. =_= If I had some real modding-chops, I'd instead just change those buffs to be permanent. I could live with them howling ONCE, when I initially train/tame them, and at this rate I'll wind up silencing all manners of howls that the game probably ALSO uses for various enemies!

Edited by BlakeTheDrake
  • Thumbs Up 1

...not gonna keep putting edits in there. Long story short, I've discovered that my system somehow just cannot HANDLE .ogg files. I can download them, run them, play them, even copy them - but if I try to move, rename or DELETE them, everything freezes and locks up. I've searched for fixes online, tried something with the file directory, but it didn't help any. I HAVE found some hit-and-miss workarounds, usually involving a full reboot, but that's... laborious, to say the least. Enough said, it makes looking for the other howl by trial-and-error unfeasible.

Can anyone help me? I've tried looking at some of the 'pigg-viewer' tools but it's all a bit over my head...

14 hours ago, Snarky said:

Have you tried cutting the speaker cords?

Could you type louder? I couldn't read that!!

• Haha 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

3 hours ago, BlakeTheDrake said:

...not gonna keep putting edits in there. Long story short, I've discovered that my system somehow just cannot HANDLE .ogg files. I can download them, run them, play them, even copy them - but if I try to move, rename or DELETE them, everything freezes and locks up. I've searched for fixes online, tried something with the file directory, but it didn't help any. I HAVE found some hit-and-miss workarounds, usually involving a full reboot, but that's... laborious, to say the least. Enough said, it makes looking for the other howl by trial-and-error unfeasible.

Can anyone help me? I've tried looking at some of the 'pigg-viewer' tools but it's all a bit over my head...

Have you tried doing the file operations via the command prompt?  If the problem is with Explorer then that might avoid it (assuming that you're using Windows, of course).

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

8 hours ago, BlakeTheDrake said:

No, that's the effect you get when you use the 'Tame Beasts' power - that is, the 'Upgrade' power itself. A nice, solid growl. It is as a RESULT of this, that the wolves start to emit loud, piercing howls on a continuous basis.

As for turning off sound, I guess that'd be a solution - but, as Clave mentioned, that means you can't hear the glowies, which is a bit of a lifesaver otherwise! And I kinda' do wanna be able to hear the REST of the game too, for that matter. I don't even mind the noise in the middle of a raid or an event or something, when you've got 20 people all setting off their powers at the same time - it's chaotic, but it helps create the right kind of atmosphere, and crucially it doesn't last very long. What absolutely grinds my gears is when I'm just traveling around, opening glowies, talking to NPC's, reading clue-text or whatever, and my wolves insist on passing the time with an endless howl-off... what finally made me snap was the first mission of First Ward, which basically involved traveling around to 4 different very wordy NPC, then a brisk fight that ends with ANOTHER chat with an NPC, then dashing around for four MORE long chats... all while pursued by that persistent "AWOOOO! AWOOO! AWOOOOOO!" while I'm trying to read. >.<

EDIT: I looked through that list on the wiki, and while I'm not certain how to FIND those files to check, I'm fairly certain that the relevant file is SOUND\OGG\DOG\DOG_TERRIFYINGROAR_01 - which is used by both the Howler Wolf and Dire Wolf pets. Question is, how do I go about replacing them? As you said, they're all wrapped up in .pigg files.

EDIT 2 - EDIT HARDER: Nevermind, I managed to figure it out with a bit of reading! Just a matter of creating the appropriate sub-directories under 'data' and then copying that silent file in there as 'DOG_TERRIFYINGROAR_01', eh? Much quieter now! Thanks for all the help, guys! 😄

EDIT 3 - EDIT HARD WITH A VENGEANCE: Turns out, there's multiple DIFFERENT howls that they use, all seemingly tied to various temporary self-buffs... hence why they keep using them even out of combat. So, I'll have to hunt them each down in turn and silence THOSE as well. =_= If I had some real modding-chops, I'd instead just change those buffs to be permanent. I could live with them howling ONCE, when I initially train/tame them, and at this rate I'll wind up silencing all manners of howls that the game probably ALSO uses for various enemies!

Welcome to my world. :)

When I have to test multiple sound that I am not sure are the ones I need to alter, I use a 'bloop' sounds, because when one or more are silenced than I'm never sure which one is correct. Once I've narrowed it down, then I use the 'silence' substitute. I had the intention of going onto Beta yesterday to check out Beast Mastery, but had to update to the new launcher, then got sidetracked...  <.<

I figured it had to be a combination of howls and barks from different folders. Perhaps the Devs can extend the 'phone ring' change to other too often repeated sfx as well.

I've been running Goldside a lot lately and have a similar issue with ghouls. So many ghoul roars and growls in the sfx files. >.<

I've decides to change them to the sounds of a porcupine eating.

Edited by Oubliette_Red
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

2 hours ago, Grouchybeast said:

Have you tried doing the file operations via the command prompt?  If the problem is with Explorer then that might avoid it (assuming that you're using Windows, of course).

Haven't tried the command-prompt, no... but, I HAVE tried using TotalCommander, which is usually my go-to tool for when Windows refuses to do what it's told. And that has the same issue, so it's definitely not just Explorer. Bloody weird issue.

50 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Welcome to my world. 🙂

When I have to test multiple sound that I am not sure are the ones I need to alter, I use a 'bloop' sounds, because when one or more are silenced than I'm never sure which one is correct. Once I've narrowed it down, then I use the 'silence' substitute. I had the intention of going onto Beta yesterday to check out Beast Mastery, but had to update to the new launcher, then got sidetracked...  <.<

I figured it had to be a combination of howls and barks from different folders. Perhaps the Devs can extend the 'phone ring' change to other too often repeated sfx as well.

I've been running Goldside a lot lately and have a similar issue with ghouls. So many ghoul roars and growls in the sfx files. >.<

I've decides to change them to the sounds of a porcupine eating.

So I guess YOU don't have any idea where that second howl is hiding either, then? Dangit. It's not just some random noise, though. Nor do I mind the occasional barking and whining either. It's a very specific thing that they do - a howl that applies a buff to them all. I can see the symbols floating around them. Honestly, if they just did it when first summoned, or during combat, I wouldn't mind. It's the fact that they do it every minute or two, all the time, whenever they're summoned... to refresh the buff, presumably. Point is, it's linked to some ability they have, so it SHOULD be straightforward, but... gah.

Was there not a mod tool that allowed players to change the sounds locally? I thought it was reasonably popular on live but I may be misremembering.

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

22 hours ago, BlakeTheDrake said:

My main is a Beast Master/Empathy Mastermind, and I was having a GREAT time with them - right up until I unlocked the last 'pet upgrade' power. Now that this is in effect, my wolves - both the small ones and the big one - howl loudly every 2.5 seconds. It is GRATING, especially when I'm just trying to read some mission-text. It is actively making me NOT WANT TO PLAY THAT CHARACTER. I can't stand listening to it anymore!

There has to be something that can be done. An audio-file I can delete in a folder somewhere. A mod, maybe? There certainly doesn't seem to be anything I can do in-game, short of just turning off the sound altogether...

You're playing with wild beasts that roar and pridefully hunt prey and you're expecting them to be quiet? I say you get out of your chair, get on all fours, and start growling at everybody and everything in your living space be it animated or inanimate! Become one with the beast, urinate on the corners of the wall and mark your territory like the vikings did. Only then, will you truly respect the beastmastery mastermind.

Edited by eldriyth
  • Thumbs Down 1

Apologies in advance if this suggestion seems irrelevant but I run the game with one earbud in. It gives me glowies and enough sound to make me feel comfortably *in world* but also lets me have a ear free to hear the phone or the door or whatever (food timer etc.). It also reduces the effect of annoying sounds quite a bit.

6 hours ago, BlakeTheDrake said:

Cannot say that I've ever heard of anyone having an issue with .ogg files. If the folder hierarchy is set up correctly, there shouldn't be an issue. I have substitute sfx files on my Tequila install and now on the new launcher. Should look something like this:

Data_folder_structure.jpg.43754fb2636de35694e4770a60c8e8fd.jpg

I found one sfx that the Dire wolf does every few minutes and with one of the buff it may be doing it more often, I'm still testing on Beta,

Sound\OGG\POWERS\BM_DIREWOLF_WILDCHARGE_01

The other one as you've pointed out it:

SOUND\OGG\DOG\DOG_TERRIFYINGROAR_01

42 minutes ago, eldriyth said:

You're playing with wild beasts that roar and pridefully hunt prey and you're expecting them to be quiet? I say you get out of your chair, get on all fours, and start growling at everybody and everything in your living space be it animated or inanimate! Become one with the beast, urinate on the corners of the wall and mark your territory like the vikings did. Only then, will you truly respect the beastmastery mastermind.

Thank you so much for your informative and thoughtful comment, bless your little heart.

8 hours ago, BlakeTheDrake said:

Okay, all of a sudden I am having the same issue, seems that renaming or deleting .ogg files causes Explorer to hang. After a little research I seem to have found the solution for this issue. At least it solved it for me. https://www.thewindowsclub.com/ogg-file-not-deleting-crashing-explorer-in-windows  Seems that the Windows Media Player extension is causing the problem, just need to uninstall that extension. Just need another audio player onboard to play the files through.