Crane's Short Reviews

Greets, all. In hopes of raising the story-based AE profile, I’ll be providing some short reviews of SFMA story arcs. In keeping with my old Under the Radar Reviews, I’ll be zooming in on new work (in most cases, that means “new for me”).:-) My criteria basically hinges on 2 things: 

*Is it fun? 

*Is it technically/narratively well-executed?

I’ll follow that up with the usual Play this if… recommendations.

I won’t be providing a blow-by-blow report, replete with pics and such (I seem to have gone over my limit on that?) And I certainly won’t be doing anything like the in-depth critiques I sometimes do for certain arcs. Rather, I’m shooting for a broad spectrum of what’s out there (outside the Dev’s Choice selections, which you’re going to see anyway, and farms, which are a different thing altogether). Things I really dig will receive various versions of the coveted Cranebump’s Seal of Approval (redeemable practically nowhere).

Before I begin, I’ll take a moment to hype the usual juggernauts, namely @Ankylosaur, @Darmian. The Dev’s Choice selections speak for themselves. Beyond that, I can heartily recommend (from experience running their stuff) @Clave Dark 5, @Take One,  and @LordRassilon. You can find some specific mish critiques I’ve done (on and off) over the years here: 

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/39283-under-the-radar-reviews-dec-22-edition/#comment-524234

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/37778-under-the-radar-reviews-sep-22-arc-1481-the-tannhauser-gate/#comment-501120

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/37292-under-the-radar-reviews-vol-2-1-florida-man-and-sandals/#comment-494590

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/24016-under-the-radar-reviews-2-the-lazarus-project-by-coulomb/#comment-290846

Now – on to the other stuff! I’ll start with a couple of recently completed arcs, beginning with: 

The Pariahs: Magus Gray (ID: 58682) (Author sig: @Star-Strider2; Board sig: @Seed22)

This is a Croatoa arc where the author cleverly features most of the usual suspects from our magic zone. Along with some NOTABLE cameos (by that, I mean certain bad guys that make a brutha say, “Oh….he’s there…”).  The arc focuses on the titular character, a member of the murdered Winter Court, as he attempts to find out who done the deed. It’s clean, clear, well-executed and well-written, and has a nice surprise at the end. Highly recommended! (see the Crane Seal of Approval there? Of course you do). PLAY THIS IF: You want a mysterious, magic-focused arc, infused with Croatoan baddies.

Love and Robots (ID: 58834) (Author sig: @Wonder Knight; Board sig: @d4everman)

The intro text reads: Queen Cyborg has been turning ordinary citizens into her robotic slaves. Now she's seeking the scientist that created her. But is she seeking his knowledge to transform more people into cyborgs or something more unsettling. That sounds creepy. But then you hop in the mish, and you get face-punched with some silver age goodness in tone and tenor (ably represented by the contact CAPTAIN EAGLE!). You’ve got a boss who thinks you’re a flyspeck (YOU! Can you believe it? [I can...(sigh)], and custom minions who accentuate the effect as they chatter about their superiority (even as you send them to the mat. Lots of fun. Reminds me of the comics I first read way back in…er…a LONG TIME AGO! (one of them’s civvie ID is Dwayne Dibley – that’s a name ol’ Stan would be proud of). Arc includes some excellent design using the bank map, great NPCs (with intertwining relationships and motivations that shape the plot, brisk pace (thanks to well-placed objectives), and a cool themed minion group. Plus, it’s got bots. And guns…Crane sorta likes Bots and guns…ahem. Verdict: VERY well done. Add a sterling seal, to go with Kyksie’s recommendation (which has to be worth…well, something, right?).:-) PLAY THIS IF: You enjoy some silver aged bombascity (but not overdone), coupled with a twisty relationship-based narrative throughline

Cat: It’s What’s for Dinner (ID: 53231) (Board and author sig: @Kyksie)

Two words. Freedom Furlanx. And that’s all I’ll say. (no, it’s not – you know me too well, don’t you?) You want some comedy? It’s here, my friend. We always say, Don’t take Kyksie too seriously. This trek through an alternative universe of freaky feline Falanx members proves it (it also confirms the disappointing fact that schlongbow is everywhere {evvvvverywherrrrre}). A humor-filled romp, and a fur-lined Crane seal (strokable currency, while you contemplate conquering the cat-iverse. (On a serious note: Beyond the constant humor, really novel use of: “choice” in the finale; nav text in all the missions. [and no time wasters.]):-) PLAY THIS IF: You want high comedy and, well, cats (kitties, to be more precise?)

Bassilisk (ID: 51947) (Board and author sig: @TwoDee)

We began with the usual threat to Audiophiles everywhere…Okay maybe it’s not the "usual" threat, but our Psi-Cop contact with the fancy officer's hat wants us to look in on it. Starts with a quick hit in Mish 1 and proceeds through a Kurse cameo (!!), a map full of armed and angry ravers, and your usual (and not so usual among the bosses) Rikti bastards. Eventually, you discover a fiendish plot involving everyone's unfavorite gene-manipulating aliens and...well, you can find out for yourself. Arc is excellently scripted, mechanically sound (even with a near-plethora of collections in an early mish), and will eventually let you use all your toys (after a brief level-down in the early going). The author provides concise recaps at the end of each mish, allowing quick and easy tracking of the narrative throughout. NOTE: Hold onto your butts, if you’re weak to psychic/sonic, etc! The early play could get dicey. Later play, too, if you've tuned this one up and not tanking it. If not, be ready to (perhaps) gobble up those insps and stick with it. In the end, you’ll be treated to a great arc! A silvery Seal of Approval for this very nice one-shot! PLAY THIS IF: (1) You don’t mind being levelled down for the opening salvos; (2) you really want to beat up ravers, (3) you like puns:-); (4) you don't feel the word bugnuts is used near enough; and -- most importantly -- (4) you demand well-crafted, tightly-constructed, cleanly and interestingly scripted arcs (because this one surely is). [Plus, how many stories start in a record shop? I'll say...2 and a half! {maybe}] Worth a run, folks! 

So, there's our opening salvo. We'll try to treated you to a passel of these in small parcels over time. Support your AE authors! It's not just for farming, folks. In the meantime, WATCH THIS SPACE.

Visualize Whirled Peas,

Crane

Edited by cranebump
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

Oooh I’m in an add 😮 all of these arcs are phenomenal and deserve a playthrough

• Thumbs Up 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

I have multiple cat-themed toons, so I must check out that cat-based one!

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

2 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

I have multiple cat-themed toons, so I must check out that cat-based one!

I should mention, that arc is the third in a trilogy. For the full experience, play the other two first.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kyksie said:

I should mention, that arc is the third in a trilogy. For the full experience, play the other two first.

Can you give me those titles/numbers please?

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

11 hours ago, d4verman said:

I should also mention that some of the names I used like "A.J. Lister, David Rimmer and "Dwayne Dibley" are shout outs to the britcom "Red Dwarf". 

Ahhhh...I had no idea.

• Haha 1

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

10 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Can you give me those titles/numbers please?

Two Chicks at Once #53229

Working for Lord Recluse, you discover Longbow has launched a cunning and titillating plot to undermine the Rogue Isles. With your help, Arachnos will strike back in kind.

Contains a custom group who should be only mildly challenging.

Contains two archvillains, but you'll have AV allies.

The ending souvenir refers to some of my friends from the Live server.

Curiouser and Curiouser #53230

How can Lord Recluse's latest plot be so secret even he doesn't know about it? How do Longbow and Malta fit in, and who invited Nemesis?

In missions 1, 2, and 4, an AV/EB will spawn after completing some objectives. They are not required, but give an extra clue.

Has some naughty subject matter, but nothing worse than you might find on late night cable.

The arc's Dark Secret is revealed in the mission souvenir. If you've played a lot of arcs, make sure you have less than 75 souvenirs or you won't receive any more.

Cat: It's What's For Dinner #53231

Such a simple plan... steal the Orestes Rifle, kidnap Ms. Liberty, defeat Statesman. What could possibly go wrong?

This is a parody of the LRSF.

The last mission has an Easter Egg. I won't explain it. You either get it or you don't.

In the first mission, you do NOT need to fight the Titan. The entrance is near it.

The final mission has a choice of two possible endings! One requires you to beat a tough AV/EB, the other does not.

A level of at least 40 is recommended, 50 being ideal.

Contain a bit of mildly risque subject matter.

Breaks the 'Ocelot Rule' in many places.

No defeat alls, feel free to stealth past trash mobs to the objectives.

All archvillains will scale down to EBs, bosses down to lts.

• Thanks 1

The climactic arc, "Cat: It's What's For Dinner", has a choice of two endings. After completing some objectives, an AV (who will scale to an EB) and a destructible object will spawn. For one ending, destroy the object. For the other, defeat the AV, then defeat the technicians surrounding the object, but be careful not to destroy it. Don't use AoEs and dismiss uncontrolled pets.

Don't think of one option as 'success' and the other as 'failure', they're both equally valid based on your preferences.

• Like 2

I'll submit one of my arcs for review

Der Nachzehrer Kommt (Arc ID #55600)
By @Maris

Missions 1-3 capped at 39

4-5 capped at 44

Contains six AVs (One in the third mission, two in the fourth, three in the fifth, with the last three spawning one after another in a very cramped room, all except the AV in the third mission have custom powers via Critter file editing)

• 2 weeks later

Just an update: the non-profit I was working for is shutting its doors by the end of March. I am in the process of seeking a new job. The best prospect I have currently has a much different schedule than the REALLY nice one I currently have (soon to be "had"). I'll continue with this, but transitioning will have an effect on new postings until everything is settled. In the meantime, keep playing those SFMA's!

• Like 1

Okay, gang, I managed a couple runs this morning. Here's your frenzied, flavorful post-Groundhog Day offerings:

Der Nachtzehrer Kommt (ID: 55600) by @Maris (board and author sig)
A cleverly constructed arc that has you investigating the Council/5th Column's latest forays into upping the vampyr ante. Extra points for creative use of maps which “connect” with other maps, (ex: you fight outside a drydock ship, then proceed “inside” the boat next mish {nice touch!]). Great use of clues. Lets you ponder the pieces before any reveal (so you can see how wrong you are in your assumption that Adolf Hitler was frozen or something).:-) Some tough bosses for my not-so-big-on-damage tank. Ambushes galore! (hold on to your butt if you’re a squishy). Cleanly written, with clear plotting and objectives, all well-placed. Nice customs, judiciously used. Canon-connected, with very good writing, esp. the contact who behaves and comments logically, considering their station. Worth a run! (esp. with a team). PLAY THIS IF: Just play it. It’s an arc that touches all the bases. A blood-spattered Seal of Approval (don’t worry–you can clean that nasty vamp-sh*t off after the last bloodsucker falls). 

Tsoo Faced (ID: 25649) by @Therra Arcson (board sig @Greycat)
A straight ahead arcane romp that puts you up against the Tsoo and Banished Pantheon (with a bit of Circle action thrown in). It’s your basic “things are not as they seem” story that focuses on (what else?) dangerous magic, a deadly ritual, and a boatload of everyone’s favorite speed/power-sucking Ink Men, TPing Storm Sorcerers, and your friendly neighborhood Shaman (accompanied by those gun-toting zombies). Clean writing, uses a in-game contact (Kung Bao of Skyway), with a couple of those huge, open graveyard maps. Great for mowing down mobs, if that’s your jam. A solid seal of approval from a move-cratered Crane, whose fire tank sometimes ran at the speed of light (if light were an iceberg…who had taken an entire bottle of melatonin…washed down with 4 bottles of gin). PLAY IF: You’re looking for a no frills scrap with a bit of mystery. (extra points for not-quite-your-typical finale). Solid, well-put together arc.

Happy trails, hombres. Winter is no-longer a-comin' (fingers crossed),

Crane

Edited by cranebump
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'd love you hear your feedback on my Rook's Gambit arc! I'm about to move it from Feedback to Final status as I think I've fiddled with it enough over (looks at initial publish date) oh god almost two years.

ArcID is 49351 by @Lockely and thread for it is in my sig if you want more in-depth info!

• Thumbs Up 1

Lockely's AE Tales:

H: The Rook's Gambit (Arc ID 49351), P: Best Left Buried (WIP)

5 hours ago, cranebump said:

Der Nachtzehrer Kommt (ID: 55600) by @Maris (board and author sig)
A cleverly constructed arc that has you investigating the Council/5th Column's latest forays into upping the vampyr ante. Extra points for creative use of maps which “connect” with other maps, (ex: you fight outside a drydock ship, then proceed “inside” the boat next mish {nice touch!]). Great use of clues. Lets you ponder the pieces before any reveal (so you can see how wrong you are in your assumption that Adolf Hitler was frozen or something).:-) Some tough bosses for my not-so-big-on-damage tank. Ambushes galore! (hold on to your butt if you’re a squishy). Cleanly written, with clear plotting and objectives, all well-placed. Nice customs, judiciously used. Canon-connected, with very good writing, esp. the contact who behaves and comments logically, considering their station. Worth a run! (esp. with a team). PLAY THIS IF: Just play it. It’s an arc that touches all the bases. A blood-spattered Seal of Approval (don’t worry–you can clean that nasty vamp-sh*t off after the last bloodsucker falls). 

Aaa, thank you so much, I'm glad you liked it a lot!!

Edited by Maris
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cranebump said:

Tsoo Faced (ID: 25649) by @Therra Arcson (author ID; board sig unk)

A straight ahead arcane romp that puts you up against the Tsoo and Banished Pantheon (with a bit of Circle action thrown in). It’s your basic “things are not as they seem” story that focuses on (what else?) dangerous magic, a deadly ritual, and a boatload of everyone’s favorite speed/power-sucking Ink Men, TPing Storm Sorcerers, and your friendly neighborhood Shaman (accompanied by those gun-toting zombies). Clean writing, uses a in-game contact (Kung Bao of Skyway), with a couple of those huge, open graveyard maps. Great for mowing down mobs, if that’s your jam. A solid seal of approval from a speed-cratered Crane, whose fire tank sometimes ran at the speed of light (if light were an iceberg…who had taken an entire bottle of melatonin…washed down with an 4 bottles of gin). PLAY IF: You’re looking for a no frills scrap with a bit of mystery. (extra points for not-quite-your-typical finale). Solid, well-put together arc.

That's me. That's also an old, old, old arc... as in, I made that when AE launched on live. (Yes, I have a *lot* of old AE stuff archived.) There were no frills to put in 😄 Glad you enjoyed.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

6 hours ago, Greycat said:

That's me. That's also an old, old, old arc... as in, I made that when AE launched on live. (Yes, I have a *lot* of old AE stuff archived.) There were no frills to put in 😄 Glad you enjoyed.

There was Tsomething about the title that tseemed to draw my atsention. Tso I tsook a chance on it.:-)

Tsoo funny!

• Like 1

Go have fun!

On 1/27/2024 at 11:39 AM, Kyksie said:

The climactic arc, "Cat: It's What's For Dinner", has a choice of two endings. After completing some objectives, an AV (who will scale to an EB) and a destructible object will spawn. For one ending, destroy the object. For the other, defeat the AV, then defeat the technicians surrounding the object, but be careful not to destroy it. Don't use AoEs and dismiss uncontrolled pets.

Don't think of one option as 'success' and the other as 'failure', they're both equally valid based on your preferences.

This is such a smart use of the fail mechanic!  I'm totally going to steal this idea!

Play my AE Adventures, listed under @Jiro Ito, including award winners:

"The Headless Huntsman of Salamanca" #43870 **Scrapbot AE Contest Winner May 2022**           

"On the Claw-Tipped Wings of Betrayal" #43524 **November 2021 Dev's Choice**  

"The Defenders of Talos" #44578 **Mission Architect Competition Winner for October 2021: REBIRTH**  

Planning on a run of @Lockely's arc, along with a dive into the pack pages for SFMA that have been overlooked. Just FYI: if you're a designer that's had some notoriety (or awards), I won't be jumping into your older stuff. But I will pass along some recs to @LordRassilon, for his Monday twitch stream. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Okay gang, in honor of it snowing TWICE here when spring is supposedly on the way (and it being wash day all. day. long.), we  bring you four arcs. One review by request, another to piggyback on a previous run that gave a good report, and 2 "back pages" entries (FYI: back page entries are SFMA arcs buried deeper in the listing "soil," often needlessly. You get just one low-star review, that arc can be shoved away forever, due to one person's subjectivity [or just plan shitty mood]). We'll be perusing those regularly. Anyhoo, here's what we got:

Dhahabu Kingdom and the Indelible Curse of Hate [ID: 60044] by @ZamuelNow (author and board sig) 

A transdimensional blueside adventure that places you in the role of ally to Queen Auri of the Dhahabu. You travel to her dimension to combat a terrible curse that plagues her people (including her husband, Aurus). Cleanly crafted. Neatly written. There’s a spider king here, but not quite the one you know (don’t worry-he’s almost friendly). Clever reskinning of in-game critters, plus some nice customs (pack some purples, fyi). A challenging penaultimate mish – not always a great idea to dive in, as I found out. You might faceplant, but it IS doable, trust me. PLAY IF: You like mishes with a magical angle, some interesting (and sometimes very tough) foes, strong scripting, and an unforgiving sorcerer boss with some scary-ass minions (I speak of the penultimate mish here). A solid, radiation-tinged Seal of Approval that comes with this WARNING: the debuff is real, my friends. Proceed with caution if you run solo, and above default settings (specifically 0/+4, as I did–you wouldn’t expect that to be difficult, but hubris-boy here found out otherwise).:-)

Takes From Beyond the Fog: The Rook’s Gambit [ID: 49351] by @Lockely (author and board sig)

Another extradimensional blueside offering, except that the bad guys are coming here. You’re working with superhacker Mark Freeman (a nerd who calls other nerds “nerds”)  to investigate the sudden appearance of a new gang in Faultline. One thing leads to another, and you’re suddenly in a “Fixx.”:-) Well, so to speak. Between Mark, PortalCo, and, of course, (mainly) you, you fend off another pesky threat from another timeplacespace. Nods to Lewis Carroll everywhere (more than a nod – an actual hand-waving, Hey! That’s Lewis Caroll, man!). Contact has some real personality. Lots of nice customs. An optional Giant Monster, if you’re feeling Red-Queen-haughty. Nicely scripted and competently designed (which is clearly shown by making full use of the "AP in flames" map). A bunny-eared Seal from the Mad Cranebumper. PLAY IF: You like the type of tone an LC-steampunkish romp holds. OR: you want to kill a GM. OR: you’re in a “save the world from freakish Wonderland things!” mood. VIEW THIS ARC ON TWICH RIGHT HERE.

The Ghastly Secret of Dreams [ID: 45185] by  @Poltergeist Prince [board sig: @Clave Dark 5] [NOTE: I did not recognize this as Clave's work until I did a little digging on what else the author had done. All I can say is...I should have known...):-) 

It all started with…getting abducted by aliens…Yup. That’s how it starts. A few somewhat dim “Bulbs” intercept your mediport signal, beam you in, strap you down, and start doing an illegal “dreamjuice” operation (as you are informed by Officer Slook [rhymes with nuke {which makes a brutha think, Why not just spell it Slueke or Slyook, or even Sluke, or something?”}]). What follows is something to not ever take seriously, as you plumb the “ghastly secrets” the story presents (which includes the author’s “ghastly” admission that they’d like a Dev’s Choice someday [for the merits, man!])*. After dealing with Rikti lawyers, mashup reptile creatures, and your own birthday party (during which you prove you are Paragon's biggest douche bag), you eventually make the world a safer place for our slightly, -- and waveringly -- sentient species (or perhaps just for yourself and your juice-filled brain). Cool little alien customs, and use of some iconic maps. Strong design and execution.  Loads of personality. Played for laughs, all the way. A red-nosed Clownbump Seal of Approval (go ahead…squeeze it). PLAY IF: You’re looking for a COMPLETE diversion (this includes the admitted diversion from a coherent plot [yet another “ghastly” secret revealed in this story]), OR: play if you REALLY REALLY REALLY want to destroy a whopping big case of toilet paper (I always have…ahhhhhh..FINALLY!).

*P.S. They did and DO have a Dev’s award: The Dance-Off That Saved Christmas ID:44962]

Infection From the Isles [ID: 40915] by @TwoFistedKid [boardsig unk]

A (mostly) lowbie arc that puts you in touch with Longbow “early in your career,” where you square off against Arachnos, which is plotting to bring the Infected to Paragon City. Along the way, you smash Spiders, Stricken and Rippers (oh, my!), hit up Matt Burke, and run into good ol’ Doc Creed (not the Apollo type). A straightforward run, as such missions (by their very nature) tend to be. Emulates that lowbie feel really well. That said: the yo-yo from Mish 1 (L9) to M2 (L40), then, later, knocked down to L4 (Mish 4), gives you a bit of whiplash. Unnecessary whiplash, as this entire thing is doable where 3 of the 5 mishes land – L9. It’d be very well worth it to fix that up. A pending Seal of Approval, because it’d be unnecessarily tough actually running a lowbie through it, due to the upper level, mish 2 hop. Everything else is competently done (in some cases, cleverly done, as was the use of the Defend Object mechanic [as a non-required objective] to cause  ambush waves. Bet your ass, I’m stealing that one]). PLAY IF: You want to run your Heroic lowbie against some Rogue Isles villains. If the level range were straightened out, it'd fit right into the game.

Edited by cranebump
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, cranebump said:

(FYI: a back page entry are SFMA arcs buried deeper in the listing "soil," often needlessly. You get just one low-star review, that arc can be shoved away forever, due to one person's subjectivity [or just plan shitty mood]).

This is very true, I've nearly-randomly chosen a couple of those and struck pay dirt in one form or another just about every time.  Even ending up with an arc that could have been better, much of what's in it most of them still worked pretty well and I ended up having fun with them.  Thanks for the poking around cranebump (and reminding me that all my stories should have SFMA in the description :P).

Go have fun!

5 hours ago, cranebump said:

Takes From Beyond the Fog: The Rook’s Gambit [ID: 49351] by @Lockely (author and board sig)

Another extradimensional blueside offering, except that the bad guys are coming here. You’re working with superhacker Mark Freeman (a nerd who calls other nerds “nerds”)  to investigate the sudden appearance of a new gang in Faultline. One thing leads to another, and you’re suddenly in a “Fixx.”:-) Well, so to speak. Between Mark, PortalCo, and, of course, (mainly) you, you fend off another pesky threat from another timeplacespace. Nods to Lewis Carroll everywhere (more than a nod – an actual hand-waving, Hey! That’s Lewis Caroll, man!). Contact has some real personality. Lots of nice customs. An optional Giant Monster, if you’re feeling Red-Queen-haughty. Nicely scripted and competently designed (which is clearly shown by making full use of the "AP in flames" map). A bunny-eared Seal from the Mad Cranebumper. PLAY IF: You like the type of tone an LC-steampunkish romp holds. OR: you want to kill a GM. OR: you’re in a “save the world from freakish Wonderland things!” mood. 

Thank you again for playing (and reviewing!) my arc! It was a real by-the-hem-of-my-cape learning process on how to bend AE to my will, and be bent by it in turn. I've got a few of yours on my docket as soon as I have a little free time to play them!

• Thanks 1

Lockely's AE Tales:

H: The Rook's Gambit (Arc ID 49351), P: Best Left Buried (WIP)

1 hour ago, Lockely said:

Thank you again for playing (and reviewing!) my arc! It was a real by-the-hem-of-my-cape learning process on how to bend AE to my will, and be bent by it in turn. I've got a few of yours on my docket as soon as I have a little free time to play them!

Thanks much! I'd probably go with the newer ones.:-) (Though of the long forms The Bleed has gotten good responses..)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The Flight of the Kage [ID: 60077] by @D3V [board sig: @D3V10517Y]

(This delve into foreign intrigue [which looks like it’s from a capable first-timer] comes from a recommendation we received via PM.

In the aftermath of a bloody coup by an organization called The Shogunate, you’ve been sent in response to a call for assistance, sent by Kaminari, a member of the Kage organization (and long-time servant of the Imperial Family). You begin by investigating false signals intended to lure the scattered Kage members into a trap (and now you, as well). Diving into various backdrops that appear suspiciously familiar (looks like they buy their decor from the same vendors as Paragon City), you square off against black-clad Shogunate forces (who really enjoy using guns and nasty devices [among other things]). What follows is a reconstitution of the group in the form of rescues, culminating in a nicely-designed scrum in Mission 4 against a series of bosses, aided by your batch of allies, taking place in one of the new lab big rooms. You finish the story up with a mish that can best be described as a mercy killing. 

On the whole, this feels like a first-time effort, though it is cleanly written and mechanically strong. In particular, there’s some novel use of clue drops in Mish 4, which Kaminari pieces together for you before sending you off to end the arc. A bit of objective repetition early on (mainly the necessary rescues, which are often followed by fighting an ambush-spawning boss – who tends to appear behind you, making you backtrack). There IS a defeat all in M4, but the map is manageable, and relatively small (and you have aggressive boss allies to help with the cleanup). Story-wise, there’s some drama and tragedy built in. NPC relationships matter in the plot resolution. It’s set for L’s 1-54 (my 50 found it pretty easy, but I’m imagining not so much, if I scaled substantially down against those stun drones). I don’t recall ANY typos, so it is meticulously edited.

So, overall, it’s solidly built. Now, I have TONS of questions about the setting: Is this supposed to be modern Japan? Or some sort of alternate version? (entirely possible, since the CoH world is, itself an alternate setting). It seems like we’re talking about a full-on Monarchy, rather than a constitutional one. In this case, a lack of ties to the in-game world forces the player to go to another level of belief suspension. This being a superhero game, it shouldn’t be hard to do. But I DID wonder how this event figured into the larger, political scope of things (other little things, too - like why Kaminari had to “call in favors” to get help, when it might’ve been in the U.S.’s best interests to send help anyway, since there’s a coup in progress). 

But these are the things I think about. Other players might care less. Which is why I’m splitting my shadowy Seal of Approval in two. On the one hand: it’s well-crafted, especially if this is a first effort [and it looks like it is]. It’s got a decent story, and some unique flavor. On the other hand, the lack of ties to any in-game lore or setting demands partial-to-whole-cloth world composition, or at least some backstory about the land to which we’ve traveled (well…for me, it does–I was bothered by it the whole time).* In the end, however, there are many more positives than the one (admittedly subjective) issue I’ve observed here. For all I know, this is a mish for an SG, a context which changes things. Whatever the context, it's worth your time. Check it out!

PLAY IF: You like Japanese-inspired motifs, solidly constructed, with some very nice NPC interplay and story. OR: if you want to completely escape the Paragon City/Rogue Isles vibe (save for the decor, of course.).:-)

P.S. The author is currently working on a follow-up, as evidenced by the work in progress they’ve posted.

*this assumes I didn't miss anything

Edited by cranebump
  • Thumbs Up 2