Has this every happen to you?

Etched

When I logged in this mornin I check my game email like I normally do,  to my surprise and slight aggravation, there was a new email from blah blah blah. The users name is not important.  Anyhow,  the email asked nicely if I would donate funds to a new player. 

Not the same person. 

I posted recently on another post that I would be happy to help them out since they were new to the game and inf was limited. 

Sooo.

My question is this, how would any of y'all handle this situation? 

@Etched

Edited by Etched

4 minutes ago, Doc_Scorpion said:

Delete the email and move on.

This. 

22 minutes ago, Etched said:

. The users name is not important.  Anyhow,  the email asked nicely if I would donate funds to a new player. 

Not the same person.

Part of the problem, perhaps all of it, is that the statement cannot be absolute.  It may not be the same account, but as we're permitted to hold 3 accounts, it could very easily be the same person just directing you to their 2nd or 3rd account.  From there, it's an easy email or in-game exchange to the original account. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Never seen this.  I'd probably just ignore it, this is akin to plonking yourself in Pocket D and spamming "looking for farm plz." 

I have given out Inf and good enhancers ("slot this in Stamina and it will help a lot") on teams I was on though, so I'm no Scrooge, but still.

• Thumbs Up 2

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I would email back they should check out yomo while that giveaway is active.  If you are an SG member and want something i prob have it in my base.  Or can kick you down inf.  But a stranger?  Blind emailing me?   Heh.  Nicht so gut.

• Like 1
  • Microphone 1

5 hours ago, Etched said:

When I logged in this mornin I check my game email like I normally do,  to my surprise and slight aggravation, there was a new email from blah blah blah. The users name is not important.  Anyhow,  the email asked nicely if I would donate funds to a new player. 

Not the same person. 

I posted recently on another post that I would be happy to help them out since they were new to the game and inf was limited. 

Sooo.

@Etched

Were they a prince... from Nigeria... and promise to pay you back more after your "small" investment?  😄  

• Haha 3

I would politely reply to them the same way I handle the multitude of charities that call my house. When my father passed and left me some funds, I chose to donate some of it. This was a big mistake in some sense, as it would seem a number of these charities sell contact info to other charities, as instead of the two charities I chose to donate to, I now get calls from 8 different charities. Routinely. I finally opted to just drop my land line and only use my cell phone. But I digress. When those parties would call, I would tell them that being in a position to give is a blessing. But to give when asked, most nice people do that already. In order to get any real blessing from giving, it must be the giver's idea, not the one receiving. So, I tell them, in a nutshell, I never give to anyone asking for funds. The giving must be MY idea. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Perfidy said:

I would politely reply to them the same way I handle the multitude of charities that call my house. When my father passed and left me some funds, I chose to donate some of it. This was a big mistake in some sense, as it would seem a number of these charities sell contact info to other charities, as instead of the two charities I chose to donate to, I now get calls from 8 different charities. Routinely. I finally opted to just drop my land line and only use my cell phone. But I digress. When those parties would call, I would tell them that being in a position to give is a blessing. But to give when asked, most nice people do that already. In order to get any real blessing from giving, it must be the giver's idea, not the one receiving. So, I tell them, in a nutshell, I never give to anyone asking for funds. The giving must be MY idea. 

have you thought about Snarky in this damp old cave?  just sayin'...

Just now, Snarky said:

Every time I see someone in a mask, riding a unicycle playing flaming bag pipes, I think of you, Snarky. And you've no need of resources. I hear you have a whale on your friends list who has no issue giving large stacks of inf. 

• Haha 1

Dear New Player,

The usual way to earn influence from fellow heroes is to sit under the Atlas statue and use the "panhandle" emote while asking in Broadcast for "spare influence".

Sincerely,

Me

• Staff of Aesculapius 1
  • Microphone 1

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

18 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Never seen this.  I'd probably just ignore it, this is akin to plonking yourself in Pocket D and spamming "looking for farm plz."

It occurs to me that both Atlas and PD could use a really tiny, cute lil' farm, about 6x6. We could give the coordinates to the spam farmers.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

14 minutes ago, Skyhawke said:

Dear New Player,

The usual way to earn influence from fellow heroes is to sit under the Atlas statue and use the "panhandle" emote while asking in Broadcast for "spare influence".

Sincerely,

Me

beggar_vendor.jpg

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Etched said:

Sooo.

Pretty much the same way I deal with beggars in Pocket D when I'm on my fire/fire brute.

"Hi, any chance you can PL me?"

"No."

Except that, since this was an email, I would just delete it and act like it was never there.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

4 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

It occurs to me that both Atlas and PD could use a really tiny, cute lil' farm, about 6x6. We could give the coordinates to the spam farmers.

Croatoa has a farm....

• Haha 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

I guess I'm the exception.  I simply told them that emailin me out of the blue was rude but in a nice way. I offered them a few wise words on how to accumulate funds that will last and then I emailed them 250 million. In return emailed me back thanking me for my generosity and asked a few questions about game play, recipes, & enhancements.

I remember that at one point it was the kindness of others that helped me when I returned to the game. I'm sure everyone remembers those days of startin out on a new game and havin nothing but the toon you made. 

I did offer and the person I offered it to never replied so over all I lost what I planned to give away anyhow.

@Etched

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Snarky said:

Presumably the bat cave?

• Thumbs Up 1

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.