Legacy Powerset Option

I would dearly love an option to choose the legacy version of powersets that have been revamped and arguably improved. Chiefly, I'm still a bit sorely disappointed with the changes to Force Field in which 'cottage rule' was discarded. I might be the only person in the game who chose that powerset specifically to use those powers the way that they were, but I honestly did. I'd be a very happy bubbler if I could have the old T9 repel-and-only-repel bubble, the old KB-and-only-KB bubble, and I would be willing to sacrifice whatever buffs Repulsion Bomb received to get them. I enjoyed and used the full toolkit I had, and I have less now thanks to KB-to-KD slotting eliminating Repel effects entirely.

(Not a huge fan of the precedent for ignoring cottage rule this set - cottage rule is a big part of what makes the game reliable and 'trustworthy' for players - but that's a whooooole different topic.)

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thumbs Down 3
  • Thumbs Left 2

Honestly, I'm there with you. I haven't touched FF since the changes. But I don't know how that'd be implemented... especially with everyone that's already *had* FF getting changed over, I believe. Having a second "legacy" set would probably lead to both confusion and irritation.  Not to mention lots of "Well how about..."-ism with all the changes other sets have had, between live and now.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I don't think the OP is even possible. The only way to get the legacy version back is if the devs still have the legacy version to re-instate.  And my money is on it not having been kept. Which would require the devs to recreate the set.

I have mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, I truly enjoy some of the older ways things work On the other hand, part of the ongoing changes to powersets is making sure that they mesh with the changing state of other players and enemies.

Having said that: for years I've wanted to get an enhancement that could turn sniper powers into the way they used to work so that I could relive my Energy Blast Corruptor that I made around Issue 10 or 11. I'm sure I've just got rose colored glasses on, but hey, I look good in rose.

This would be problematic on a lot of levels. And would open the door to the devs having to potentially keep two code bases. Or more.

For example, what if you have some folks that like how a power set was at shutdown, versus how it was in year one of HC being live, versus how it is in 2024? Do they then keep 3 versions? Or go back and have to build it how it was if they (more than likely) no longer have those past versions?

Hard NO from me on this as it opens the door to a lot of nonsense that a volunteer dev team should not have to deal with.

• Thumbs Up 2

For sets that had substantial changes like Force Field (for the better IMO), this would require a whole new set.  Literally there would have to be a "Force Field" and "Legacy Force Field" set.    Now if I could get the "Legacy Regeneration" set, I think this would be a go! 😁

Edited by Psi-bolt

• City Council
9 minutes ago, Psi-bolt said:

Now if I could get the "Legacy Regeneration" set, I think this would be a go! 😁

You might be on to something here. That'd give us two Regen sets to nerf!

• Haha 7
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

At one point in the dim and distant past there was discussion of instating power options in sets like this - a drop down or something with two mutually exclusive powers available in a tier. If I recall correctly, the idea of actually implementing it was staggering to say the least. This isn’t here t say I want it by close of business Monday; this is to say I liked the powerset that was improved out of existence. Do I actually expect to get it back? No.

Maybe next time release a second Shiny New FF set for people to choose on an alt rather than push fundamental changes to how powers function and the basic things they do (cottage ruuuullllleeee…..). I’ll always be in favor of more options rather than less.

As for drawing the line on when this hypothetically and purely theoretically could be made available: I’d say when the changes are ‘buffs’ like with FF, allow me to remain unoptimal. When the changes are nerfs to bring a set in line with what mere mortal players should be able to accomplish (Sorry, Regen), then not so much. I’d also draw the line at issue 25 and after because this team wasn’t responsible for anything before that.

• Thumbs Down 1

8 hours ago, JelloMold said:

I would dearly love an option to choose the legacy version of powersets that have been revamped and arguably improved. Chiefly, I'm still a bit sorely disappointed with the changes to Force Field in which 'cottage rule' was discarded. I might be the only person in the game who chose that powerset specifically to use those powers the way that they were, but I honestly did. I'd be a very happy bubbler if I could have the old T9 repel-and-only-repel bubble, the old KB-and-only-KB bubble, and I would be willing to sacrifice whatever buffs Repulsion Bomb received to get them. I enjoyed and used the full toolkit I had, and I have less now thanks to KB-to-KD slotting eliminating Repel effects entirely.

(Not a huge fan of the precedent for ignoring cottage rule this set - cottage rule is a big part of what makes the game reliable and 'trustworthy' for players - but that's a whooooole different topic.)

I feel the same way about Mind Control and the changes to Telekinesis specifically.

7 minutes ago, Bionic_Flea said:

Not that I'm trying to chase anyone away, but wasn't there another server that runs pre-I26 settings?

Rebirth, but ironically they buffed/changed Force Field as well, in their own way.  It was a power set for Issue 4 that just had little relevancy in Issue 24, let alone 27.

Edited by Lunar Ronin

Just now, Player2 said:

I feel the same way about Mind Control and the changes to Telekinesis specifically.

My defender bubbler also has the epic pool Telekinesis specifically because of the weird things the power used to do. It makes me so, so sad.

Maybe it’s that specific character being targeted… watch out for future fundamental rewrites to Psychic Blast and the flight pool.

20 minutes ago, Conviction said:

You might be on to something here. That'd give us two Regen sets to nerf!

Oh, look... the elite sitting in their nerf castles with their nerf bats ready to bestow the grand nerf gesture.  The very definition of nerf evil.  🤪

• Haha 1

• City Council
36 minutes ago, Player2 said:

Oh, look... the elite sitting in their nerf castles with their nerf bats ready to bestow the grand nerf gesture.  The very definition of nerf evil.  🤪

It's a tough job but, someone's got to do it. 🫡

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Player2 said:

Telekinesis has been through so many rounds if changes… exactly how many Mind Control sets would you want there to be?

I'll admit that I really hate the changes to Force Bubble. Other than that I think all of the changes have been good ones.

Except for Telekinesis. I have never used that power, and still don't, so I have no opinion on it.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

even in comics/manga powers tend to evolve and change over time through the years. 

Its only natural there is some evolution in a game that is loosely based on the genre

I haven't played FF since 2004 and I cant remember much except............the constant whales

not folk who drop tons of cash in a game the actual FF sounds were whales

I made a new toon and never looked back so I don't know how much has changed

what I do know is, change is impossible to stop

resistance is futile

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

1 hour ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

even in comics/manga powers tend to evolve and change over time through the years. 

Its only natural there is some evolution in a game that is loosely based on the genre

I haven't played FF since 2004 and I cant remember much except............the constant whales

not folk who drop tons of cash in a game the actual FF sounds were whales

I made a new toon and never looked back so I don't know how much has changed

what I do know is, change is impossible to stop

resistance is futile

Change is not always a good thing.  Even if some people like the change, there will be people who don't.

Resistance may be futile, but so is trying to stop the complaints of those who resist.

• Like 1
  • Microphone 1

18 hours ago, Rudra said:

I don't think the OP is even possible. The only way to get the legacy version back is if the devs still have the legacy version to re-instate.  And my money is on it not having been kept. Which would require the devs to recreate the set.

... well, you *can* go to Ourodev and get the i24 and ... shall we say i25 launch?... versions. Though nothing before that.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

They could simply "add" the legacy sets back in under a new name, like call the set "Force Shields" and have it consist of the old force field powers, with the name appropriately changed if and when needed.