Patch Notes for February 27th, 2024

You guys never fail to impress.  

There are always issues with updates, especially ones that are this big, and complex.  And, there is always an outcry from the players about what they don't like (up to, and including quitting the game over it).  But, in looking over the notes on this patch, it looks like much of the major complaints were addressed to varying degrees, or rolled back.  I don't think anyone can accuse Homecoming of being unresponsive to their players, which they continue to demonstrate consistently.

• Like 5
  • Thumbs Up 2

What was no more, is REBORN!

• Modern input profile: changed left mouse button drag to freelook without snapping back to center. Quick look function moved to middle mouse button, swapping the two. The Classic input profile retains the original controls.

What I would like is for MOVING in any direction to reset the camera back to center after having dragged it with the left mouse button. Is it working like that now?

One thing I would like to suggest for the resetting the vertical camera position is to actually bring it back to true level. Presently the reset is angled slightly down, which means when you fly, you slowly lose altitude instead of hold at level while moving forward.

It is precisely this difficulty getting back to true level that causes me to NOT use free look on any toon with flight, since I don't use the mouse to steer (or do anything other than click on interactables or in windows).

• Like 2

First and foremost, LOVE the new content and thank you all so much for your effort. 

Forgive me if these were already brought up.

A few things I've noticed: Not sure if it's the changes to Munitions Mastery, or the Dual Pistols Holstered option, but Both Sleep Grenade and LRM Missile are not Drawing the rifle resulting in the animation working but holding nothing. The Holstered Pulse Rifles also seem to be too far off from the back.

I was wondering why the Change to LRM Rocket? The Extra damage was great for Scenarios like an MSR or any Large enemy groups at a distance. Now it seems like it's lost it's umph.

Keep up the AMAZING work!

• Thumbs Up 1

My game crashes every 3 minutes since the 2-27 patch.  I have the latest video card drivers.  Game never crashed prior to this patch.  I'm playing around with the game's video options to try and figure out which one(s) cause the crash... almost impossible.  This is miserable as I literally can't play.  I've sent 2 crash reports already.  I may have to reset everything to the minimum and then try each option one-at-a-time to find the culprit.

13 minutes ago, funcleb said:

My game crashes every 3 minutes since the 2-27 patch.  I have the latest video card drivers.  Game never crashed prior to this patch.  I'm playing around with the game's video options to try and figure out which one(s) cause the crash... almost impossible.  This is miserable as I literally can't play.  I've sent 2 crash reports already.  I may have to reset everything to the minimum and then try each option one-at-a-time to find the culprit.

What GPU are you running? Can't offer a ton of help directly, but if anyone else with the same issue pops in we might be able to start crowd-sourcing some additional info for the team that can help resolve this?

33 minutes ago, Drop Zone said:

What GPU are you running? Can't offer a ton of help directly, but if anyone else with the same issue pops in we might be able to start crowd-sourcing some additional info for the team that can help resolve this?

Nvidia Geforce RTX 4080 (ROG Strix OC Edition, 16GB memory).  I went into video options and turned every single option from High to Medium and it seems to have stabilized things.  Not sure why I'd have to do this on a high-end video card but I actually got to finish one mission, which took about 40 mins solo.  I need to logout for the night for work tomorrow.  Tomorrow night I'll start changing each option one-by-one to the next higher setting and see how it goes.  I might eventually figure out which one triggers the crashing.

17 hours ago, Iron Bull said:

I was wondering why the Change to LRM Rocket? The Extra damage was great for Scenarios like an MSR or any Large enemy groups at a distance. Now it seems like it's lost it's umph.

LRM Rocket is ten times better now….

• Thumbs Down 1

14 hours ago, funcleb said:

Nvidia Geforce RTX 4080 (ROG Strix OC Edition, 16GB memory).  I went into video options and turned every single option from High to Medium and it seems to have stabilized things.  Not sure why I'd have to do this on a high-end video card but I actually got to finish one mission, which took about 40 mins solo.  I need to logout for the night for work tomorrow.  Tomorrow night I'll start changing each option one-by-one to the next higher setting and see how it goes.  I might eventually figure out which one triggers the crashing.

Weird.  I'm running a 3080 and have everything cranked pretty much except FSAA (8x is plenty.)  Running 551.61 as of today.  I haven't crashed at all.

image.png.440bd3ba66421192ca1fb954c5d313c2.pngspacer.pngFlint Eastwood

17 hours ago, funcleb said:

Is this a “mapserve” crash where it just locks up and eventually dumps you to the login screen or a hard crash back to windows?

The reason I ask is because the former is almost always a network connection issue and not a graphics one. Back when Homecoming first launched I was having that come up consistently. The only thing that fixed it was running a VPN with my location set to somewhere on the East Coast… because apparently some switch somewhere on the default route (either through Chicago or Detroit to Canada… I never figured out which) was causing enough lag to cause a fatal mapserver error… but the alternate routing by forcing my connection to go to NYC or DC first avoided it and made it run flawlessly.

Anyway, the better you can describe HOW it is crashing, the more easily the issue can be diagnosed. Don’t presume it’s necessarily a graphical setting issue when there are so many other things that can potentially go wrong.

• City Council
7 minutes ago, Chris24601 said:

Anyway, the better you can describe HOW it is crashing, the more easily the issue can be diagnosed. Don’t presume it’s necessarily a graphical setting issue when there are so many other things that can potentially go wrong.

I'm pretty sure I managed to find the crash reports @funcleb sent in (were 2 of the 3 on a character who name is a pun on a popular singer best known for hits in the 80s?)... but they're kind of all over the place. Each is in a different and seemingly random place in the graphics code, with "impossible" conditions. One was checking texture flags to see if it needs to be alpha sorted, one was calculating clip planes for Z-occlusion.

The third one happened while decompressing model data from the disk files -- revalidating files may be warranted here but that's usually the first advice given out so I have to assume it's probably already been done.

That kind of random behavior sounds like something may be corrupting data in RAM. It could definitely be a bug somewhere in the code and you just happen to be unlucky or really good at hitting a particular trigger, but since it's happening so frequently may also be worth running memtest just to be sure.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Number Six said:

I'm pretty sure I managed to find the crash reports @funcleb sent in (were 2 of the 3 on a character who name is a pun on a popular singer best known for hits in the 80s?)... but they're kind of all over the place. Each is in a different and seemingly random place in the graphics code, with "impossible" conditions. One was checking texture flags to see if it needs to be alpha sorted, one was calculating clip planes for Z-occlusion.

The third one happened while decompressing model data from the disk files -- revalidating files may be warranted here but that's usually the first advice given out so I have to assume it's probably already been done.

That kind of random behavior sounds like something may be corrupting data in RAM. It could definitely be a bug somewhere in the code and you just happen to be unlucky or really good at hitting a particular trigger, but since it's happening so frequently may also be worth running memtest just to be sure.

Glad you found them and yes, I was on my Billy Eyedol character.  I played for a while today, had the same type of crash just once but just didn't feel like sending it in again.  I think these are game crashes for CoH.  I get kicked back to Windows 11 Pro and a panel is displayed, asking me to click one of 5 or 6 options for reporting the bug crash.  I played another 2 hrs after the crash tonight, planning to send in the report if it crashed again, but nothing happened.  I am still on Medium graphics settings (inside CoH) for every single option that allows it.  I wanted to see how long this "base" style setting would work before tweaking it.  I'll play around with it some tomorrow as it's time for bed now.  Thanks for the information and it sounds very strange to me what all the crashes are.  I just got this gaming computer 2 weeks ago (new) from CLX Gaming - all hardware is new.  I don't have any issues with any of it except for CoH.  I'd still like to see the game with values at the Highest Quality settings but won't try it since I can't get High settings to work.

Mirror Image is still bugged.  We ran an all controller Market Crash, no icon and no badge.  Then ran a Yin with 4 blasters, 2 Arachnos soldiers, a brute, and 1 other AT i don't remember, no icon and no badge, but on the last mission the Variety icon showed and badge popped for those what didn't have it.

Edited by Killerhurtz

31 minutes ago, Killerhurtz said:

Mirror Image is still bugged.  We ran an all controller Market Crash, no icon and no badge.  Then ran a Yin with 4 blasters, 2 Arachnos soldiers, a brute, and 1 other AT i don't remember, no icon and no badge, but on the last mission the Variety icon showed and badge popped for those what didn't have it.

Market Crash is a trial, not a TF/SF.

14 minutes ago, Wavicle said:

Then it shouldn't work at all, right?

Hence, no icon.

And Yin worked correctly since they had a variety of ATs.   Mirror Image had to be four or more of the same AT.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

Consignment House

• User interface for the consignment house / black market updated to be better about refreshing item status and history without having to resort to tricks to force things to load.

🤑

This could be it's own marquee feature!

Was just looking around for a comment on this. Have you guys really seen any improvment? To be honest, and with the greatest respect for all the hard work behind it all, my perceived impression is that it's worse an more unresponsive than before. Just me?

//Jack

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well I have others.”

― Groucho Marx

48 minutes ago, Jack Power said:

Was just looking around for a comment on this. Have you guys really seen any improvment? To be honest, and with the greatest respect for all the hard work behind it all, my perceived impression is that it's worse an more unresponsive than before. Just me?

//Jack

My experience, thus far, is that there is now a perceptible delay before the Last 5 display, but the Last 5 display more often than before.