The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Crazy 88s

Yomo Kimyata

This is not a connections thread (although I don’t mind that) but more of a marketing memory from Live and I’d love to hear your contributions.  

From what I remember, the Crazy 88s was a SG on Liberty I think (whatever the 2nd most populous server was) whose sole purpose was to buy as much  prestige with inf as possible to be the top ranked SG on that server.  I had one character (named Potlatch, who was some sort of fire controller).  This was before converters, so my inf earning was almost exclusively on narrowing bid offer spreads, I.e. buying low and selling high.  

I wasn’t the top contributor, but I tried to keep in the top 5.  I didn’t know anyone else in the SG since most of my presence was on Justice.  I left the game not long after, but the vitriol from other SGs losing their rankings in the prestige list was astounding.

We also had a nice base with a giant fire pit which was where I went to burn inf into prestige.

Anyone else with memories?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Who run Bartertown?

1 hour ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I left the game not long after, but the vitriol from other SGs losing their rankings in the prestige list was astounding.

Because, let me guess, buying prestige wasn't "the right way to do it" or "it shouldn't count" or some such drivel?   🙂

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

From what I remember, the Crazy 88s was a SG on Liberty I think (whatever the 2nd most populous server was)

Well Liberty wasn't the 2nd most populous server - that's for sure.

At one point, I was in a villain group called the Crazy 88s on Triumph.

I'm assuming it wasn't the same group or, at least, I wasn't in it at the time you are talking about.

The one I was in didn't have many members and the leader of the villain group didn't play very often. So rarely in fact did anyone play in the VG that one time I logged on I was made the SG leader. Next time I logged onto the character (which was probably a month or so later), I got an angry message from the person that had been VG leader threatening that I better give them the VG leader position back.

Yeah, right.

I quit the VG.

And, based on how the system worked, the next character in the VG that logged in would have become the new VG leader.

It wasn't like my character was dressed up like a member of the Crazy 88's at any rate.

I can't even remember why whoever invited that character to the VG.

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

10 minutes ago, UltraAlt said:

I'm assuming it wasn't the same group or, at least, I wasn't in it at the time you are talking about.

I highly doubt it was the same group, since the SG was formed late in the game with the sole purpose of getting to be the top SG on a top server in short order.  Maybe it was Freedom?  It was definitely not the "biggest" server since they had a top SG that would have taken too long to overcome.  I had no idea of the connection with Kill Bill for the name of the supergroup -- I literally discovered that this morning.  I just thought it was a play on Crazy 8s.

43 minutes ago, Ironblade said:

Because, let me guess, buying prestige wasn't "the right way to do it" or "it shouldn't count" or some such drivel?   🙂

Definitely a part of it, but I think it was more like we formed, and then were the top ranked SG within a few weeks, tops.  Only witchcraft (or possibly knowledge of the mechanics of prestige) could explain someone's SG dropping in status!

Who run Bartertown?

1 minute ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Definitely a part of it, but I think it was more like we formed, and then were the top ranked SG within a few weeks, tops.  Only witchcraft (or possibly knowledge of the mechanics of prestige) could explain someone's SG dropping in status!

Witchcraft?  Oh, you mean jerk hacking.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Maybe it was Freedom?  It was definitely not the "biggest" server

well, I'm pretty sure Freedom was the most populated server and Virtue was the 2nd most populated server a year before the shutdown.

I can't tell you what was going on after that. That's when I cancelled my subscription and stopped playing.

I had no idea of the connection with Kill Bill for the name of the supergroup -- I literally discovered that this morning.

lol.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

3 hours ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

That's my huckleberry.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUgmSbcPTKbDdUGT6UTwH

8 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

Well Liberty wasn't the 2nd most populous server - that's for sure.

At one point, I was in a villain group called the Crazy 88s on Triumph.

The one I was in didn't have many members and the leader of the villain group didn't play very often. So rarely in fact did anyone play in the VG that one time I logged on I was made the SG leader. Next time I logged onto the character (which was probably a month or so later), I got an angry message from the person that had been VG leader threatening that I better give them the VG leader position back.

Yeah, right.

I quit the VG.

And, based on how the system worked, the next character in the VG that logged in would have become the new VG leader.

It wasn't like my character was dressed up like a member of the Crazy 88's at any rate.

I can't even remember why whoever invited that character to the VG.

You should have told him that he can’t talk to the SG President that way, and then kicked him 

😀

• Haha 3

I remember seeing this, mostly on the forums. Only ever watched from the sidelines, but the salt they generated was hilarious.

On 2/27/2024 at 12:42 PM, Ironblade said:

I think it was part that, and part utter jealousy at the amount of Influence the group had. You could buy Prestige back on Live (as opposed to earning it by playing in SG Mode), and I recall the Inf -> Prestige conversion rate was just atrocious. So it was not just a flex, but a pretty big one to boot.

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

Check out the Unofficial Homecoming Wiki! Contributions welcome!

39 minutes ago, Derek Icelord said:

I think it was part that, and part utter jealousy at the amount of Influence the group had. You could buy Prestige back on Live (as opposed to earning it by playing in SG Mode), and I recall the Inf -> Prestige conversion rate was just atrocious. So it was not just a flex, but a pretty big one to boot.

Yep.  I was in one SG that my brother started with only family and real-life friends.  The base builder lamented not having enough prestige for a good base so I bought 500 million worth to get him started.

Since you asked, I took this screenshot maybe 3 minutes before the servers shut down - on Liberty. The top SG on Liberty at the time of shut-down, was mine, because I'd burned through all my influence which was in the billions, and figured why not. Not like I could do anything with it. And, also because Frosty Frozone and High Voltz were in The Paragon City Saints. Highly skilled players, but they could be terribly annoying in PvP, (and in chat, if you ask some folks) particularly Frozone. So, yeah, there was some spite to it, lol. 

I was not a proper fire farmer, nor a proper marketer by any stretch. But I did farm, and I did market. But I mainly did SSAs for hero merits with multiple characters and used the merits to get the pvp IOs and sold them for 2B every chance I got. I did play with converters a bit, but they were a lot more expensive at that time. 

Shutdown.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/1/2024 at 8:39 PM, Derek Icelord said:

and I recall the Inf -> Prestige conversion rate was just atrocious

If I recall correctly is was 2mm inf to 1 prestige, and I'm amazed I remember that, and I hope it's even accurate!

EDIT:  oops, not even close, bud!

Edited by Yomo Kimyata
bad memory

Who run Bartertown?

I may be mistaken but I believe the Crazy 88s name was taken because the first server they tried to "buy" the top prestige spot would have cost them 88 billion.  That may have been on Triumph.   The group then set their sights on Virtue the unofficial RP server.    I am pretty sure they were successful there.  

I do remember how upset all the Virtue folks got.    It was a good show to see.   

45 minutes ago, Florian1 said:

I do remember how upset all the Virtue folks got.    It was a good show to see.   

I do remember seeing some complaints.  I was running mostly solo at that time, but had alts on every server.

I was inspired by them back in the day.

I played on Union and once sunset was announced I decided to try get my SG as high as possible.

mostly solo, I moved my SG from just below Torchwood to eventually 3rd place. 

336258_3136959722267_548035482_o.thumb.jpg.be8a0b4605a29b6f479ad3e944e8652f.jpg

This was about 12-13B burned back on Live on my fire farmer in AE and was taken early September, just under a month before Sunset.

• Like 2

@Black Assassin - Torchbearer

• 2 weeks later
On 2/27/2024 at 11:09 AM, Yomo Kimyata said:

This is not a connections thread (although I don’t mind that) but more of a marketing memory from Live and I’d love to hear your contributions.  

From what I remember, the Crazy 88s was a SG on Liberty I think (whatever the 2nd most populous server was) whose sole purpose was to buy as much  prestige with inf as possible to be the top ranked SG on that server.  I had one character (named Potlatch, who was some sort of fire controller).  This was before converters, so my inf earning was almost exclusively on narrowing bid offer spreads, I.e. buying low and selling high.  

I wasn’t the top contributor, but I tried to keep in the top 5.  I didn’t know anyone else in the SG since most of my presence was on Justice.  I left the game not long after, but the vitriol from other SGs losing their rankings in the prestige list was astounding.

We also had a nice base with a giant fire pit which was where I went to burn inf into prestige.

Anyone else with memories?

I'm pretty sure that the main chapter of the group was on Virtue (with another on Guardian, iirc).  Fulmens and Nethergoat were (I think?) the founders, or at least movers and shakers in the group, and I definitely recall that we had a big push to be #1 on Virtue, which, we achieved and, as I recall, really annoyed the American Legion folks.  I'll attach a few screenies that I took (I think I have some more squirreled away somewhere, but these are what I could find).  My character (Granny Warbucks) was made specifically for the 88's, and she was level capped at 2...   😉😁

Regards,

PS>  Ahhh, I was just able to locate a post from Live (way back when) using Michiyo's archive of Live Forum posts)     -->  here  <--

Crazy88s_One.jpg

Crazy88s_SolsticeParty_A.jpg

Crazy88s_SolsticeParty_C.jpg

Granny_after.jpg

Edited by FourSpeed
  • Like 1