The 3rd Best Way to Spend a Friday Afternoon

I actually worked with a guy from Newcastle many years back and upon finding out where he was from I said to him, "Hey!  I like Newcastle Brown Ale!" and he said, "Are you kidding?  Only the college kids drink that crap!"

Am I just that uncultured?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ZemX said:

I actually worked with a guy from Newcastle many years back and upon finding out where he was from I said to him, "Hey!  I like Newcastle Brown Ale!" and he said, "Are you kidding?  Only the college kids drink that crap!"

Why yes, yes you are!

• Moose 1

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator but only a fraction of people understand that.

2 hours ago, ZemX said:

What would you have said to him if he said to you, "Hey!  I like Bud Light!"?

Who run Bartertown?

7 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

That water is cheaper and will give him precisely the same buzz?

15 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Exactly!  Culture is relative and familiarity breeds contempt.   

Except it doesn't always.  I quite like several of the local brews in my area which I've drunk far more of than I've ever had Bud Light.

I remember when it used to come in fancy bottles

5 hours ago, Scarlet Shocker said:

Newky.thumb.jpg.fcad2c0bc320cc21cdd32fd3cd729533.jpg

The 2nd best way is to play City of Heroes...

That feels strange. A bottle of Newkie Brown and next to it a pint glass from Portland Maine?! Hah! But then I read that it's brewed in Holland now, so... bleh... forget I said anything.

Oh I did find the most Newcastle picture I've ever seen... Here is Kevin Keegan and Ant & Dec wearing Newcastle football tops (sponsored by Newcastle Brown Ale) at Newcastle football club. Howay the lads.
image.png.e8a64aed726b33ec5f97f64907374492.png

Edited by Herotu

..It only takes one Beanbag fan saying that they JRANGER it for the devs to revert it.

6 hours ago, ZemX said:

That's always how it is.  Like when all the yuppies were drinking Jagermeister to be cool - meanwhile, in Europe, only drunkards were drinking it.

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

While visiting the UK there was one of those once-a-century storms. We were pretty much socked in at a tiny hotel with a tiny bar.

(Think Fawlty Towers, only with really nice proprietors.)

i was trying the local ales, and my wife was sticking to Guinness.

Someone made a remark about their new Budweiser tap, and I (not having tried it) remarked "You know, the Budweiser tastes like #!*% here."

They replied, "Why? What are we doing wrong?"

"Nothing. Tastes like #!*% at home, too!"

As someone who grew up thinking the Brits perfected comedy, I was delighted to see him snarf his beer.

I later learned they had licensed the name and logo from Anheuser-Busch, but they used the original (Dutch?) recipe. It was actually not bad.

Edited by DoctorDitko
always another typo

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

3 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

I later learned they had licensed the name and logo from Anheuser-Busch, but they used the original (Dutch?) recipe. It was actually not bad.

Czech

Budvar is a reasonable brew. I worked for a small scale importer of beer - we'd bring in a few different crates of stuff from different Czech breweries. Obviously in the interest of quality control I had to test it. Then I had to test it again as a marketing exercise. Then again as sales rep.

Wasn't a bad job actually.

• Like 1

There's a fine line between a numerator and a denominator but only a fraction of people understand that.

On 3/1/2024 at 11:24 PM, Yomo Kimyata said:

"Okay, where are you really from, because it's definitely not Newcastle."

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

i may have delayed an ITF start once to get wet burritos....

....and then played the ITF in my underwear.

Edited by starro
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

8 hours ago, starro said:

i may have delayed an ITF start once to get wet burritos....

....and then played the ITF in my underwear.

Wow... why so overdressed?

On 3/1/2024 at 5:38 PM, Herotu said:

I remember when it used to come in fancy bottles

That feels strange. A bottle of Newkie Brown and next to it a pint glass from Portland Maine?! Hah! But then I read that it's brewed in Holland now, so... bleh... forget I said anything.

Good catch.  Funny thing is there is a Newcastle, Maine about an hour north of Portland up the coast.

The drink of choice for many a Brit sailor on a run ashore back in the 60’s!

When it was your turn to get the round in and What you having? was shouted the usual answers were a mix of Newkie Brown or Tyne Wine or Electric soup.

We all knew what was wanted. Happy days 😀