Character size and environmental proportions - is Manticore a short king?

Posted (edited)

What is up with the size of cars, doors, NPCs, etc...?

I'm playing a "tall" character for once and I'm still only just taller than most NPCs. Most cars, however, just look ridiculous by comparison. Running Twinshit's story arc for the umpteenth time have made me realise than Manticore is posssibly 5ft tall (which is hot).

How do people feel about the physical dimensions of the world? Does it bother you that they're so janky?

Edited by Steyrharquebus

Posted (edited)

The physical dimensions are actually very, very close to accurate scale compared to most MMOs.  Some stuff looks wonky, it's true.  But by-and-large the scale is remarkably accurate.

Also, Manticore is about 5'8".

Edited by PhotriusPyrelus

1 minute ago, PhotriusPyrelus said:

The physical dimensions are actually very, very close compared to most MMOs.  Some stuff looks wonky, it's true.  But by-and-large the scale is remarkably accurate.

When you say "remarkably accurate", do you mean accurate to a scale established within prior MMOs only, or are you including the real world too?

I mostly mean real world.  Like, 1' in-game, is a pretty consistent unit of measure.  Yes.  Cars look a little small (I think the problem is they're all a bit low-to-the-ground), forklifts look a little big, but overall, it's pretty close to real life.

14 minutes ago, PhotriusPyrelus said:

I mostly mean real world.  Like, 1' in-game, is a pretty consistent unit of measure.  Yes.  Cars look a little small (I think the problem is they're all a bit low-to-the-ground), forklifts look a little big, but overall, it's pretty close to real life.

Are you Dutch?

• Haha 1

I remember coming across a forum post, I don't remember if it was here or on the live official forums or even if it was here pointing towards the original forums, talking about sometime in this games life the playerbase complained about the size of the world/NPCs so the devs adjusted either the players scale or the world/NPC scale to make it seem like things where bigger.

It's been so long I don't remember any of the specifics just that something was changed and it was a bandaide fix that sort of worked.

I did a quick search here and didn't come up with anything but I'm not sure what words to search for. I thought about searching the old forums but I'm not even sure the search function works with the wayback machine.

You want to feel short, look at some of the base items like the original SG tables... if you could actually *sit* at them (they certainly weren't easily spaced for it,) the tallest character would look like a 5 year old at the grown-ups table and have to shout across to be heard.

• Haha 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

I just went to the OG forums using the wayback machine and you can't use the search function due to the captcha image not loading.

I'm absolutely positive there was something about this but I have no idea how to find the information.

2 hours ago, LKN-351 said:

I just went to the OG forums using the wayback machine and you can't use the search function due to the captcha image not loading.

I'm absolutely positive there was something about this but I have no idea how to find the information.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

@Oubliette_Red that's helpful but it doesnt change the fact that I can't remember the exact verbatim words they used. I searched combinations of character, scale, NPC, world, size, taller, and shorter with and without quotation marks and I found stuff... but not what I was looking for.

I don't think I remember enough details to find it.

As a 5'4" (162cm) guy who likes to play characters close to my height... everything is larger than reality which works since most people play characters that are around 7 feet (213cm) tall anyway.

Everlasting
Light Star character series
Twink character series

Manticore isn't all that short, really.

He's about 5'10" going by the height slider within chargen.

I walked my character that's 5'2" over and stood next to him, and the top of my head is just above his chin.

If you don't adjust the height slider, the default male character is 6'5" or 6'6". The default female is around 5'8". 

A good chunk of the in-game furniture are scaled for VERY large characters. But a lot of other things, such as office chairs, tables, desks, etc, are scaled for characters who would be around 5'0" or so, given how small they are. 

12 hours ago, LKN-351 said:

@Oubliette_Red that's helpful but it doesnt change the fact that I can't remember the exact verbatim words they used. I searched combinations of character, scale, NPC, world, size, taller, and shorter with and without quotation marks and I found stuff... but not what I was looking for.

I don't think I remember enough details to find it.

I've had a similar issue and I think it may have to do with when they changed forum platforms, I think entire threads were lost at the time. I was unable to locate the 'Fruit Salad' thread.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

19 hours ago, FupDup said:

It's pretty crazy how most enemy NPCs, even average humans with guns, are at least 6 feet tall. Must be all the Enriche in the water...

I came here to write this. The 7+ foot tall Council mooks always surprise me. I'd expect the shorter guys to be put on cave duty.

1 hour ago, Oubliette_Red said:

I've had a similar issue and I think it may have to do with when they changed forum platforms, I think entire threads were lost at the time. I was unable to locate the 'Fruit Salad' thread.

Its too bad this wasnt brought to mind while the "Questions for the OG devs" was still open.

Having the bit of info rattling around in my head, I see the effects of it fairly often. I do wish I could find it just to fill in the details of something I likely read 10+ years ago lol

5 hours ago, tidge said:

I came here to write this. The 7+ foot tall Council mooks always surprise me. I'd expect the shorter guys to be put on cave duty.

That's why they all have helmets, though they should all have dents and scuffs on them

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2024 at 12:08 PM, Steyrharquebus said:

Are you Dutch?

I was stuck in England back in 2000 and I can't count how many times I had someone come up to me and start speaking Dutch.  I'm 6'8" and blonde, and understand just enough to recognize it to be able to say I wasn't Dutch.  Thankfully, most Europeans speak english better than me...

On 5/19/2024 at 2:52 PM, FupDup said:

It's pretty crazy how most enemy NPCs, even average humans with guns, are at least 6 feet tall. Must be all the Enriche in the water...

Yeah a 5'5" short knocker is going to be able to lug around a minigun and ammunition in body armor.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

Posted (edited)
On 5/19/2024 at 11:43 AM, PhotriusPyrelus said:

The physical dimensions are actually very, very close to accurate scale compared to most MMOs.  Some stuff looks wonky, it's true.  But by-and-large the scale is remarkably accurate.

Except for the Terra Volta Zone. It's about twice as big as what it should be inside vs the outside 

Edited by RCU7115
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Average male height in the US is 5 feet 9 inches. The whole "short" topic makes me more concerned that people who are typical or average, are suddenly considered sub-bar or below, despite being average by definition. The sort of thinking that if something isn't exceptional, than it's trivial.

Edited by Neiska

21 hours ago, WumpusRat said:

If you don't adjust the height slider, the default male character is 6'5" or 6'6". The default female is around 5'8". 

6'5"!?  No wonder I feel so tiny, even at average height.  I thought most people were bumping their male toons' height sliders up.  (Should clarify - the world feels close to IRL sizes, the guys are all somehow crazy big; it's kinda intimidating)

9 minutes ago, Akisan said:

6'5"!?  No wonder I feel so tiny, even at average height.  I thought most people were bumping their male toons' height sliders up.  (Should clarify - the world feels close to IRL sizes, the guys are all somehow crazy big; it's kinda intimidating)

Yeah, much as it appears that way, it's not like there's all these people tell you to "Follow The Yellow Brick Road!"

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

I started making monkey characters because I discovered early on that playing the game on super short toons makes it more exciting.  Everything looks big from that perspective, but you feel like a super fast ball of chaotic energy.

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow