Money making in CoV/H (and how I dont do any of it)

Posted (edited)

When I found Homecoming some years back I dived into a SS/Inv Brute.  As expected.  I found a horrifically expensive build.  By "found" I mean begged, and a clever individual named Hyperstrike said "this one"   I still have the toon built up and mostly parked.

Now, i have always hated farming.  I will do so rarely now to PL my own toons.  (Alt Acct Farmer PLs main acct new concept)  But I much prefer running story arcs and Task Force/Strike Force/Trials.  At least I get merits.  And at 50 the cash rewards and drops are good, sometimes great.

In the beginning I received help.  But after that first toon (which I was on a LOT for 6 months) I just bumble along.  i have made money crafting & converting all recipes dropped.  Then listing on AH.   Good funds in that, but it is work.  Farming brings in great rewards.  I dislike it.  A LOT.  

Since I run a lot of content I have tons of merits.  Selling Enhancement Converters can be lucrative.  I recently pawned off a bulk sale to a volume retailer I know.  I scraped 80% of my merits together from all sitting toons over last few years and made a bulk deal for a huge chunk.  The other 20% saved for May buying of Vet badges (turns out I needed very few)  

Yesterday i looked through my base and consolidated all my HAMIs into one bin.  But the bin was too small.  I gathered those of the "type" I had the most of and sold those extra.  I also asked "what is that expensive Hami?"  turns out it is a acc/threat/rech.  And i had one.  Sold for 350 mil.  I joined a group I know, Ronin's Raiders (new crew on CoH, and polite, professional. wacky.  very dedicated to learning hard mode)  I did a 2 star ITF with them and a 1 star LGTF.  I got a purp recipe at the start of LGTF, and another a few minutes later.  We finished and I got a .... not kidding ... acc/threat/rech Hami.  another 350 mil.  Now I listed both at 1, but there are fees.  I think i netted 320 mil on each.  I will bin the purps.  I hate to AH nearly as much as I hate farming.  But that was a day I earned over 640 mil, plus merits, reg TF money drops, and recipes to craft/bin.  It may be my best one day in game.  But only because I had the one Hami in a closet for a year or more lol.  Still a good day.  

The REAL way to make money in CoH/V?  Run a 50.  In content you enjoy.  The money/drops are so great.  There are tons of "make money like this"  They almost all work as advertised.  But PLAY the character you came here to PLAY.  Money will flow.  A lot of it.  

Edited by Snarky
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Microphone 1

• City Council

I'm disappointed. I was hoping this would be a guide for how to not make money, but instead it's just another guide on making money. Alas.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
"We need Widower. He's a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos - very important." - Cipher

Are you also a drop of sanity in a bowl of chaos? Consider applying to be a Game Master!

1 minute ago, Widower said:

I was hoping this would be a guide for how to not make money

I could ask one of my daughters about that..she could probably come up with a pretty good guide. 
It starts with using your first 100M to buy 100 Reward merits for a badge from Luna. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Snarky said:

I make my real money behind Only Fans...

vamp vamp.jpg

Stop sexually abusing that angle grinder.

• Haha 3

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

Posted (edited)

I've been saying this for a long time now* and kept getting angry pushback.  😃 

*ETA: In fact, see my sig

Edited by Clave Dark 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

well, cramming stuff in base hoppers without knowing their value until you run out of room is probably not "great management skills"

and getting another acc/rech/threat and a couple purps was luck....BUT...  it is only by running a 50 that you get the rolls on those lucky drops.  i think that would be the thrust of this thread.  like a toon?  run it at 50.  cash problems solved.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later
1 hour ago, MoonSheep said:

why is acc/threat/rech so expensive? seems an odd one

Accuracy plus Recharge works great for such powers like Fold Space.   It also was only available via Dr Aeon for a bit.  I think you can get it via Lady Grey, but unsure.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, lemming said:

Accuracy plus Recharge works great for such powers like Fold Space.   It also was only available via Dr Aeon for a bit.  I think you can get it via Lady Grey, but unsure.

why would that make it worth 300mil+ though? seems a rather uninteresting and non critical use 

if it was one of those loophole HO’s that lets you boost the stats of a power that doesn’t accept rech i could understand a bit more why it would be so pricey

26 minutes ago, MoonSheep said:

why would that make it worth 300mil+ though? seems a rather uninteresting and non critical use 

if it was one of those loophole HO’s that lets you boost the stats of a power that doesn’t accept rech i could understand a bit more why it would be so pricey

Lemming said it - the source for the acc/taunt/rech D-Sync enhancements is the Dr. Aeon Strike Force (and Hami). That's it, nothing else in the game awards that enhancement (and its a random drop as well). So supply and demand is why. Not enough supply, demand is willing to fork over the higher premium. 

Edit: I'll also add that the D-Sync enhancement gives 36% boost to Threat Duration, Accuracy, and Attack Rate, while other acc/rech enhancements only give 26% boost to Accuracy and Attack Rate. 

Edit 2: Well it looks like Hamidon provides this Theat/Acc/Rech enhancement as well.

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Thumbs Up 2

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

2 hours ago, MoonSheep said:

why is acc/threat/rech so expensive? seems an odd one

It's useful -- certainly the A/R part is useful.  If you raise it to level 53 you get +38.3% to each attribute and you can slot it in any power regardless of what sets it takes.  You get better stats from a purple A/R at 50+5, but you can only slot one of them and only if the power takes that set.

1 hour ago, lemming said:

It used to only be available in DSO form and thus only through Dr. Aeon.  You can now get it through other TFs, but I had though only Lady Grey.

26 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Edit 2: Well it looks like Hamidon provides this Theat/Acc/Rech enhancement as well.

Does anyone know if this is true?  It was my understanding that the new DSOs that did not have an HO equivalent would drop at a higher rate than the ones already available through Hami raids, and that the new Lady Grey introduced new HOs that were the equivalent of the new DSOs as well.  I did not think that the new HOs got added to the Hami drop tables, but I haven't done a hami raid in years so what do i know?

FYI, in the /AH, a HO is equivalent to a SHO is equivalent to a DSO.  It's fungible, or "bucketed" as some like to say.

• Like 2

Who run Bartertown?

40 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

I think it's like Yoma said, it's just a fungible version.   I haven't seen one drop from Hami yet, but I don't do that many compared to others.  (About 60 runs where I choose a Hamio.   I have had a few drop via Aeon and I think I got one via Lady Grey on beta when I ran it a lot.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, lemming said:

I think it's like Yoma said, it's just a fungible version.   I haven't seen one drop from Hami yet, but I don't do that many compared to others.  (About 60 runs where I choose a Hamio.   I have had a few drop via Aeon and I think I got one via Lady Grey on beta when I ran it a lot.

This is interesting as I only looked at the data in CoD to determine availability. 

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=boosts.hamidon_threat_accuracy_recharge.hamidon_threat_accuracy_recharge&at=defender

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=boosts.dsync_threat_accuracy_recharge.dsync_threat_accuracy_recharge&at=tanker

• Like 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png