Super Reflexes minimum resistance levels

Groovy_Ghoul

At the least, you want to build such that you have 90% res to S/L a bit before you die, if not other types.

The last few times I’ve played with my SR tank build, I had at least >40% S/L and >30% F/C/E/N.

Unfortunately my SR tank is my only toon where I haven’t broken free of relying on the Fighting pool (well, Tough).

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

Acceptable is highly subjective upon the driver. Nobody is going to know what your resists are while you're tanking an SR.

I prefer to hit around 60% SL and whatever on the rest by bonuses.

A better way to ensure survival is to have a pocket heal solution rather than rely on scaling resists to save you.

The odds of repeated hits chunking your life away are (by design) pretty low. That's not your main threat.

Your main threat is damage that is autohit or untyped. You're not getting through Rommy Mires with 90% Neg resist at 5% hp that whole fight. Marauder's super fist attack is still going to drop you to 10% HP every time. You want a way to quickly recoup that lost HP back up above 50%, rather than rely on your scaling resists to carry you until external heals arrive.

How you do that is up to you, there are lots of clever options, but super greens are always available no matter your power picks.

Edited by twozerofoxtrot
  • Thumbs Up 3

11 minutes ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

Acceptable is highly subjective upon the driver. Nobody is going to know what your resists are while you're tanking an SR.

I prefer to hit around 60% SL and whatever on the rest by bonuses.

A better way to ensure survival is to have a pocket heal solution rather than rely on scaling resists to save you.

The odds of repeated hits chunking your life away are (by design) pretty low. That's not your main threat.

Your main threat is damage that is autohit or untyped. You're not getting through Rommy Mires with 90% Neg resist at 5% hp that whole fight. Marauder's super fist attack is still going to drop you to 10% HP every time. You want a way to quickly recoup that lost HP back up above 50%, rather than rely on your scaling resists to carry you until external heals arrive.

How you do that is up to you, there are lots of clever options, but super greens are always available no matter your power picks.

Dont forget higher level council archons and their damage rez's either, especially if more than one rez at the same time when more than one are in a group.

I want to echo what @twozerofoxtrot wrote. I think having a "self heal" is probably more important for SR than chasing blanket resistances, at least for most content. The resistances picked up from set bonuses/uniques should be enough for a lot of the game. Yes, I have Tough, but it was picked at level 47, The most problematic attack type for my SR Tanker so far as been Nemesis' Toxic. Probably not a surprise, but it feels worse on my SR than on any other Tanker.

I haven't tried tanking the hardest suff yet with my minimally-Incarnate SR Tanker, but when things are going pear-shaped, I have a high-recharge Unleashed Potential available. It doesn't help against auto-hits, but the extra Regeneration ends up balancing with the Scaling Resistances, and the +Defense definitely helps for when it is DDR that is causing me grief.

2 hours ago, tidge said:

Unleashed Potential

This is my new favorite power! A lot of tanks just need a boost to get out of a tough spot and stabilize, rather than permanent immortal resists. Unleash does so much and asks so little. The prereqs are even pretty universally decent.

22 hours ago, tidge said:

The most problematic attack type for my SR Tanker so far as been Nemesis' Toxic. Probably not a surprise, but it feels worse on my SR than on any other Tanker.

Nemesis Gas is typed Area and Toxic so your AoE defense should counter it, however, the SR scaling resists don't include toxic or psi. There are also psi attacks that have no positional vector that will bypass your defense entirely. Working some toxic and psi resist into your build isn't a bad idea. 

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Posted (edited)

I should probably not opine on this, as I don't have  SR tank (But hey- when have I ever refrained from giving someone bad advice?😝)  I do,  however, run a lvl 50 (T4 incarnate) Savage/SR Brute.  I've used this character to solo the entire Maria Jenkins+Tina McIntyre arcs at +4/8 (the baddies are set to elite boss, not archvillain, though) and only died twice throughout all of those missions.

My Defenses and Resists look like this:

Defense: Ranged (57%), Melee (67%), AoE (55%)

Resists: S/L (49%), F/C (32%), NRG/NEG (20%), PSI/TOX (11%)

EDIT:  Also, to weigh in on the comments above about self-heals vs resists, I do run the Rebirth Partial Core Invocation, so with SR characters I sit firmly in the "Heal" camp.  this is really just because I feel there is a limit to what you can do with resistances on a SR toon, and you're going to get more mileage out of squeezing more heals in for those instances when something gets through your defenses.

Edited by Triumphant
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just checked the stats on my SR/Staff tank. I've got 43% S/L, 35% F/C/E/N and 32% T/P resists before scaling resists or the ATO. In addition to Rebirth Radial, I've also got Melee Core, which adds another 16-25% resistance. 

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

Mine is 60 sl, 20 fc, 30 en, 14 tp. I pop some oranges on pylons in apex. Bout rest of time health never moves so doesn’t really matter. Regular 54 itf all is fine even nictus stuff. 4 star just need to do mechanics which you should do anyway. My defense is crazy too high for most stuff though. It’s 74/84/80 r/m/a Not counting barrier.