yOu ShOuLD cHaNGe kNoCkBAck to KnoCKdoWN!

51 minutes ago, Ukase said:

Well, I don't know the movie/book, but I remember this being stated in a German accent: "We have ways of making you talk!" 
I always thought it was about specific torture methods to encourage someone to reveal secrets. Turns out, it was a method to make you talk differently. 

yeah, the Germans all have a specific way of saying everything.  No deviation.  Except for the 20 dialects.  (Germany is a modern day myth, the place is tribal as can be.) The "standard German" most foreigners use is probably spoken in 10% of "Germany" it is understood outside that, if spoken correctly, but spoken differently.  Think the Inglorious Bastards table scene.  By accent and word use the Nazi quickly identified the origin of everyone at the table. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, JasperStone said:

Studied German in High School and a bit in Grad school.

You are so right about pronunciation and spelling.

However, it is rooted in basically one language ... 

English, especially American English, is made up of a variety of languages.

Dialects galore.

I am from Maryland and sometimes can't understand people ... especially from Baltimore.

Fun story:

I went to "A Comedy of Errors," where the actors were speaking English as it sounded at the time of the plays writing. So thankful there was a pre-show explaining a bit about what we were about to hear. The post-show helped, too.

Still challenging to understand what was being said. And it was English.

It takes me 5-10 minutes to acclimate to a Shakespeare production in the original.  Fun at the Oregon Shakespeare festival.   Once the brain “switches” its all good

• Staff of Aesculapius 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

On 7/1/2024 at 7:55 AM, Forager said:

Does anyone have a short, succinct explanation that they have had success with?

On 7/1/2024 at 8:54 AM, Forager said:

Does anyone, who understands knockback, have a short, succinct explanation for people who do not understand knockback that are criticizing it?

Yes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

16 hours ago, Ukase said:

As long as your civil about it, I would try to be more strategic about it, if it were me. But I do wonder, even if you ask politely how you handle a negative response. You kick 'em? Just for some kb?

To be fair, the person you're quoting specifically said this person was using hurricane and standing on top of the tank. That's not just getting upset over some kb. That's a 360 degree radius of repel completely scattering everything in every direction and making tanking nearly impossible and making AoE's ineffective. Hurricane pack scatter is not cool or fun for your team/group.

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

18 minutes ago, TygerDarkstorm said:

To be fair, the person you're quoting specifically said this person was using hurricane and standing on top of the tank. That's not just getting upset over some kb. That's a 360 degree radius of repel completely scattering everything in every direction and making tanking nearly impossible and making AoE's ineffective. Hurricane pack scatter is not cool or fun for your team/group.

I was once on a team with my Storm Defender who uses Hurricane normally for emergencies. However, once I was on a team with two other Storms. Since Three Storms makes a triangle, we used Hurricane to herd. So the problem in groups isn't too much Hurricane, it's not enough Hurricane at the right spots. 🙂

• Like 3

Hurricane was when I learned that KB/KU/KD and repel are two completely different mechanics, with the latter being unaffected by KB->KD enhancers.  Probably would have figured that out sooner if Hurricane was not able to take KB enhancers, what with the power having both KB AND Repel...  :)

When I am on a Stormie now, I tend to use hurricane as a rear echelon power, giving squishies a refuge in which they can heal and recover when needed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JasperStone said:

Fun story:

I went to "A Comedy of Errors," where the actors were speaking English as it sounded at the time of the plays writing. So thankful there was a pre-show explaining a bit about what we were about to hear. The post-show helped, too.

Still challenging to understand what was being said. And it was English.

I've studied Shakespeare a bit.  I remember at some point talking about his comedies and how some of the jokes were plays on words that no longer make sense because of pronunciation changes.

Sadly, even in your example, the joke gets lost simply because people don't understand what is being said anymore.

• Thumbs Up 2

What this team needs is more Defenders

16 hours ago, Snarky said:

me  lee   wtf is wrong with that?  (the F is not for follow...)

12 hours ago, ScarySai said:

MAY.

LAY.

MAY. LAY

It's Pah-Khan

Not Pee-can

• Thumbs Up 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

3 hours ago, Krimson said:

I was once on a team with my Storm Defender who uses Hurricane normally for emergencies. However, once I was on a team with two other Storms. Since Three Storms makes a triangle, we used Hurricane to herd. So the problem in groups isn't too much Hurricane, it's not enough Hurricane at the right spots. 🙂

Exactly. I'm completely against knockback control! In fact the solution to this problem is more knockback.

Some people want to take away your knockback because someone else uses it irresponsibly!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/1/2024 at 4:03 PM, Forager said:

Why should we stop there! I should do "knockback only" teams... slotted for kb even better... complete chaos encouraged.

RO had a teaming project once called Hurricane Havoc.  Let's just say a Storm/Nrg Defender would have been right at home.  Things went flying everywhere, it was sheer chaos.  And lots of crazy fun with Hurricane's ramming anything standing, Tornado and LS blasting away and more than a couple Nrg secondaries.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Snarky said:

English is a dart board of pronunciation. There are a bunch of words no one taught me to pronounce I picked up from reading a lot.  They all have Snarky pronunciations!

Yeah, one of my teachers put the following on the board.  It does a great job of summing up how awful English is for spelling/pronunciation.

These are all pronounced the same:

Narc

Nark

Pnark

Knark

Gnarque

(One of my brother's friends got P is for Pterodactyl, an alphabet book with a lot of silent letters, for my nephew.  Here's a reading of it!)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TygerDarkstorm said:

You are absolutely correct. I wasn't looking at the context. Thanks. 

• Thumbs Up 1

A thread summary so far:

Original Question: Does anyone have a simple, succinct response for someone who criticizes your use of knockback when your knockback is not causing the problems commonly associated with knockback.

Majority of thread: People describing all the ways that knockback can cause problems to people who already know them. Those people describing, unsuccessfully and at great length, how to circumvent the problems.

A Few Dudes: Probably not.

A summary of this summary: yOu ShOuLD cHaNGe kNoCkBAck to KnoCKdoWN!

If you ask me about the subject in game, I'll tell you how convenient I feel kb>kd is for freeing up your positioning priorities. And I actually do carry some SA's to hand out to new/returning players because I know what it's like to not even know that Io's exist while trying to navigate modern expectations.

But ultimately, I don't care what anybody does provided that nobody cares that I will deal with teamates creating situations in which I can't land my ae's by creating new situations for me to ae. If it can even be knocked, it's whatever, realistically.

And if Op is genuinely using KB to herd stuff together/knock 90°/make corner piles/etc then mobs aren't actually being scattered, so whoever is complaining about KB is just doing it as a pretense to be a busybody or something like that, I don't think you owe them any response beyond some variant of "stfu".

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Forager said:

A thread summary so far:

Original Question: Does anyone have a simple, succinct response for someone who criticizes your use of knockback when your knockback is not causing the problems commonly associated with knockback.

Majority of thread: People describing all the ways that knockback can cause problems to people who already know them. Those people describing, unsuccessfully and at great length, how to circumvent the problems.

A Few Dudes: Probably not.

A summary of this summary: yOu ShOuLD cHaNGe kNoCkBAck to KnoCKdoWN!

I’ll do my own summary: The forums being the forums.

They gave you solutions, and what to say. what else did you want? An echo chamber? I don’t even know what the echo chamber would be at that point beyond the solutions provided

• Like 2
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|

2 hours ago, Seed22 said:

They gave you solutions, and what to say. what else did you want? An echo chamber? I don’t even know what the echo chamber would be at that point beyond the solutions provided

I’ll do my own summary. 

You folks do not deserve my brilliance.  Everyone email me 1 million inf. Certain folks should be ashamed at not sending a lot more.  But i will not name them.  I have that much class. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/4/2024 at 10:02 AM, Krimson said:

I'm not advocating to never use hurricane. Your example is a fabulous example for how great it can be. Again, the point was that a single stormer was jumping in to stand on the tank and causing 360 degrees of scatter, and thus being detrimental.

I am in no way saying hurricane is a bad power, or that KB as a whole is bad; I was merely noting a detail in the story that someone missed.

Global: @Valnara1; Discord Handle: @Valnara#0620

I primarily play on Everlasting, but you may occasionally find me on Indom. 🙂

Notable Characters: Apocolyptica - Demons/Storm MM; Lurking Monster - Human-Form WS; Environmentabot - Bots/Nature MM; Miss Fade - Ill/Traps Controller; Sister Apocalypse - Beast/Dark MM; Dr. Elaina Wrath - Plant/Rad Controller (Join the House of Wrath, and spread the word of science!); Ruff Ruff Boom - AR/Devices Blaster

5 hours ago, Seed22 said:

Are you sure that is this thread? And when you say solutions... do you mean to the problem that I described?

4 hours ago, Snarky said:

I’ll do my own summary. 

You folks do not deserve my brilliance.  Everyone email me 1 million inf. Certain folks should be ashamed at not sending a lot more.  But i will not name them.  I have that much class. 

I haven't seen such truth on these forums since I made this reply. I can't speak for everyone else, but I just sent you 1 million influence! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Forager said:

Are you sure that is this thread? And when you say solutions... do you mean to the problem that I described?

I mean I know you want us to instantly believe you, but if you're not converting your knocks and are reporting that people are telling you to do that, I can only assume you're causing headaches for said people, despite your claims.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ScarySai said:

I mean I know you want us to instantly believe you, but if you're not converting your knocks and are reporting that people are telling you to do that, I can only assume you're causing headaches for said people, despite your claims.

How did you arrive at that assumption? Do you think that if someone complains about something, it must be happening? Did you know that sometimes people complain about things that are not happening?

In fact... it's what you are accusing me of right now.

Is this only related to knockback in CoH or is that how you decide this generally? Is it just on topics you already have an opinion on?

17 minutes ago, Forager said:

How did you arrive at that assumption?

Common sense.

17 minutes ago, Forager said:

Do you think that if someone complains about something, it must be happening?

Do you think because you made the thread, I should believe you?

18 minutes ago, Forager said:

Is this only related to knockback in CoH or is that how you decide this generally?

I'm very consistent with how I approach problem solving.