bring back "The Paragon Times"

On 8/10/2024 at 9:22 PM, shortguy on indom said:
  • THE PARAGON TIMES WAS A NEWSPAPER WHICH HAD "LORE" STORIES WHICH WENT WITH ISSUE UPDATES.
  • WAS COOL TO SEE THE BACK STORY BEHIND THE CHANGES.

Perhaps examples would help.  The wiki's reference to the newspaper links to many of the Paragon Times articles.  Just click on the associated dates to see the write-ups.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Finland 1

Man I totally forgot about the Paragon Times. They had some really fun articles for some of the early updates and lore, like:
Chasing Sally

Arenas

Movie Theater History

Obscure lore on the "Gamester" character who places Winter Event presents around the city

Would love to see the official return, or even a lore dump regarding the latest update. Really makes you feel like a part of a living city.

• Finland 1

"All thoughts of retreat are discarded as counterproductive, there is no other course of action but to press on. You've been caught in an unseen orbit, around a power you cannot possibly fathom."

Everlasting - Gradivus, Amarillo Starlight, Hullbreak, Hyperblink, Matchlite
Previously on Guardian, Triumph, Liberty, and Freedom

...like people care about lore. It's been made quite clear to me lately that, with few exceptions, they don't.

While I'd love to see it? *shrug*

• Moose 2

Still not particularly fond of certain segments of this community.

23 minutes ago, Greycat said:

...like people care about lore. It's been made quite clear to me lately that, with few exceptions, they don't.

While I'd love to see it? *shrug*

There is a Discord dedicated to the lore. 

• Haha 1
  • Moose 1

5 hours ago, Greycat said:

From players?

• Moose 1

AE SFMA Arcs: The Meteors (Arc id 42079) Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part One. (Arc id 26756) X | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Two. (Arc id 26952) | Dark Deeds in Galaxy City: Part Three. (Arc id 27233) Darker Deeds: Part One (Arc id 28374) | Darker Deeds: Part Two. (Arc id 28536) | Darker Deeds: Part Three. (Arc id 29252) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part One (Arc id 29891) |

Darkest Before Dawn: Part Two (Arc id 30210) | Darkest Before Dawn: Part Three (Arc id 30560) |

Bridge of Forever ( Arc id 36642) | The Cassini Division (Arc id 37104) X | The House of Gaunt Saints (Arc id 37489) X | The Spark of the Blind (Arc id 40403) | Damnatio Memoriae (Arc id 41140) X  The Eve of War (Arc id 41583) | Spirals: Part One. (Arc id 55109) |  Spirals: Part Two. (Arc id 55358) |  Spirals: Part Three. (Arc id 57197)

I Sing of Arms and the Man (Arc id 42617) | Three Sisters (Arc id 43013)

(Pre War Praetorian Loyalist.  Pre War Praetorian Resistance.  Pre ITF Cimerora.  Post ITF Cimerora. X = Dev Choice/Hall of Fame )

the lore in this game is pretty interesting and this is a Good Idea! its sure to be better than some Rinky-Dink, Two-Bit, Slap-Dash thing put together by Some Rando that may or may not have some kind of bizarre and morally reprehensible take on the proud history of this game and it's many fine npcs

• Confused 2
  • Moose 1

done with the Moogle "community" here. since they obviously don't care about anything lore wise and poop on people who do.  Moogle backstory guide might be uploaded in a 3rd location when i finish the revision. no, it may not be put on the wiki, and what was there of my first one has been REMOVED! please do not reupload. i'm not giving the people here the benefit of the work just to be pooped on and told "lol, let people play how they want, f you." (you can than xXLimpBizkitFanXx, KupoKaiser, daRealSid, boxdestroyer2002, OwlBoy, BrayCat, ButtStroke420, Spencer Gifts LLC, president obama, the San Antonio police Department, my mom not letting me use the computer room after 9pm, GM_Vietnam, Sharkey, DanceDanceCommunistRevolution, my wife's boyfriend Carl, ChronicIBS, shortstackgoblin, sharif for not liking it, Rusty Shackleford, harshBDSMmaster, AcceptAllCookies, BundleOfSchticks, Stygian Owl, Farticus_Rex, Cockroach Girl, Oranbega_Beggar, The People's Democratic Republic of Glendale, GoDaddydotCom, ClarrisaExplains: it all, My Chemical Gluten Allergy, Square Phoenix, Sharkey ((again)), and the rest for making that very clear.)

4 hours ago, Indystruck said:

The Paragon Times was fun. But at the same time, eh, I'm not sure it needs to be something that devs devote further free time to that could ostensibly be spent improving the actual game. A little torn.

I'm doubting it would be too much work, and with player participation it should be even easier. I could see it being mostly player submitted and dev reviewed or something of that nature. Perhaps with dev prompts. +1 for me.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Moose 1

Wasn't the Paragon Times the thing that gave dumb lore reasons for new power sets?  Oh!  Look!  Aeon created the use of double blades!  😛

Instead of just accepting the meta of "It's now available and you can make heroes who use it"

• Haha 1
  • Moose 1

39 minutes ago, BrandX said:

Wasn't the Paragon Times the thing that gave dumb lore reasons for new power sets?  Oh!  Look!  Aeon created the use of double blades!  😛

Instead of just accepting the meta of "It's now available and you can make heroes who use it"

The main thing I remember is Dr. Brainstorm created power proliferation between sets.

• Moose 1

@Twi - Phobia on Everlasting

44 minutes ago, Monos King said:

I'm doubting it would be too much work, and with player participation it should be even easier. I could see it being mostly player submitted and dev reviewed or something of that nature. Perhaps with dev prompts. +1 for me.

Yeah, as far as work?

Set up a template or two (for things that need to go to two pages,) with columns, the "Paragon Times" header and spaces for things like the date, spot for a headline photo, the columns, etc. so it's just set and ready to go.  Yes, there'd probably be time spent on what events - either a new release, or announcing things like Halloween coming through again, anniversaries of events or whatnot. Yes, there's a little time writing something up, proofreading (and having someone else check as well,) getting a good screenshot and setting everything up, but I highly doubt that it would have any real impact on anything else getting done in the game.

And it would be a way to increase both immersion and involvement - go ahead and have the players come up with what they want in it, even for little ads on the side for in-game things. Those always seemed to be popular on live when they came around. (Granted, they'd probably have to be generic vs. SG or server specific - less "Weekly MSR results!" and more "Sheherizade's Sher-the-love buy 1 get 1 free sale!" but still.)

Granted, there are people that seem to hate the fact lore even exists, despite this being an MMO*RPG,* but as far as dev time? I don't think "it would take their time" or "be too much work" really would hold that much water. (Besides, Devs spend time on what they *want* to spend time on, we're not paying them to be on a schedule or have to release X much content per month/year.)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Moose 1

Still not particularly fond of certain segments of this community.

On 8/15/2024 at 6:54 AM, Darmian said:

From players?

Haven’t seen anyone not care about lore. But I have seen people who don’t understand it posting about it constantly on the forums and claiming to be an aficionado on it when they haven’t even so much as read a single document surrounding it.

And people naturally don’t like that. 

• Haha 1

Aspiring show writer through AE arcs and then eventually a script 😛

AE Arcs: Odd Stories-Arc ID: 57289| An anthology series focusing on some of your crazier stories that you'd save for either a drunken night at Pocket D or a mindwipe from your personal psychic.|The Pariahs: Magus Gray-Arc ID: 58682| Magus Gray enlists your help in getting to the bottom of who was behind the murder of the Winter Court.|