Alternate Farming specs

Boon

I know that on tankers, TW/Rad works wonders... albeit very very slowly.

I would think that on a brute, Rad/Rad would make an exceptionally good farmer, what with all the aoe's, endless energy and regen, and a neccessity to slot far fewer defense IO sets.

However, a good question is, what do you intend to farm? AE comiccon? Psychic clockworks? magmites? DE?

warmace or titan weapons and  /bio. War mace is surprisingly good and the hits feel very meaty. It has some respectable cone and pbae attacks and hits like a truck. Titan weapons is great also, but I admit a partiality to war mace swinging a little faster and it's optimal rotation is damn simple.

Right now I’m loving my ss/fire brute, more so than my spines/fire.  Both are in similar equip, sets & purples, same build except primaries.  I just spam foot stop, burn and fireball, toss in incarnate ion when it’s up and viola.  It’s a lot of fun and a lot of Hutton mashing due to the high recharge

Rad/Fire is right up there with Spines/Fire. They are so comparable that you will not get a clear answer as to which is better.

Rad/Bio brutes farm well too.

Titan/Bio scrappers farm well.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

Rad/Fire is right up there with Spines/Fire. They are so comparable that you will not get a clear answer as to which is better.

I may actually try this, growing a bit bored of my spines/fire brute. Does rad melee take out bosses faster? That's always been my annoyance with spines, grinding down bosses after the minions and LTs melt.

Spines fire can be better than Rad but it requires the user to line up throw spines to hit more targets.  For lazy people like me Rad ends up being better.

And yes it takes out bosses faster as you will likely only have 1 single target melee attack on either and Lunge does less damage than Radioactive Smash

• 2 weeks later

Can Elec armor be a good farm set? If so what would be best to pair it with? I'm thinking of making a Rad/Elec. I want it to be tough for AV content but I would also like to be able to farm it on occasion.

A bunch of toons. Global DocRanger

All on Excelsior. 

1 hour ago, Ice_Warden said:

Can Elec armor be a good farm set? If so what would be best to pair it with? I'm thinking of making a Rad/Elec. I want it to be tough for AV content but I would also like to be able to farm it on occasion.

I imagine the AV killer would look a bit different but the farm build could look like....

Villain Plan by Mids' Villain Designer 2.22
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Natural Brute
Primary Power Set: Radiation Melee
Secondary Power Set: Electric Armor
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Concealment
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Radioactive Smash -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(43), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(45), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(45), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(46)
Level 1: Charged Armor -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(37), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(40), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(43)
Level 2: Lightning Field -- SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBrtFur-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprBrtFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(9), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13), SprBrtFur-Rech/Fury(13)
Level 4: Conductive Shield -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(5), UnbGrd-ResDam(5), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(50)
Level 6: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(7), ShlWal-Def(7), ShlWal-Def/EndRdx(9), Ksm-ToHit+(48)
Level 8: Fusion -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 10: Static Shield -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(11), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(11), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(17)
Level 12: Super Jump -- Empty(A)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(15)
Level 16: Grounded -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(17)
Level 18: Irradiated Ground -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(19), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(19), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(23)
Level 20: Lightning Reflexes -- Run-I(A)
Level 22: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(25), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(25), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(50)
Level 26: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(27), Rct-Def(27), Rct-Def/EndRdx(34)
Level 28: Energize -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(29), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(29), Prv-Heal/Rchg(31), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(31), Prv-Absorb%(31)
Level 30: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)
Level 32: Atom Smasher -- SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprUnrFur-Dmg/Rchg(33), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprUnrFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprUnrFur-Rchg/+Regen/+End(50)
Level 35: Power Sink -- MckBrt-Taunt(A), MckBrt-Taunt/Rchg(36), MckBrt-Taunt/Rchg/Rng(36), MckBrt-Acc/Rchg(36), MckBrt-Taunt/Rng(37), MckBrt-Rchg(37)
Level 38: Electrifying Fences -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(40), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(40)
Level 41: Ball Lightning -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(42), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(42), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(43)
Level 44: Mu Lightning -- Apc-Dam%(A), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(46), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(46), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Apc-Acc/Rchg(48)
Level 47: Grant Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)
Level 49: Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Fury 
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(23), Mrc-Rcvry+(34)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(15)
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon 
------------

• Thanks 1

XP or inf, bosses are worth it. A boss is worth 3 lieuts. In your standard patrolling farm group with 4 bosses, you're getting more XP and inf from the bosses than from all the lieuts + minions combined. Unless it takes you twice longer to complete runs with bosses on, always go bosses.

(Even if it took you twice longer to complete runs, it might still be better with bosses on. You've got a fixed amount of time during which you don't earn XP, going in and out of the mission, picking the next one, buying insps if you roll that way. So a 5 minute map in which you earn 5M inf beats a 3 minute map in which you earn 3M inf.)

Edited by nihilii

On 7/21/2019 at 11:18 PM, natewest1987 said:

Right now I’m loving my ss/fire brute, more so than my spines/fire.  Both are in similar equip, sets & purples, same build except primaries.  I just spam foot stop, burn and fireball, toss in incarnate ion when it’s up and viola.  It’s a lot of fun and a lot of Hutton mashing due to the high recharge

Loving mine as well, and he's so far mostly got cheap IOs and only in some powers. On paper it looks like he'll be a beast once I have him purpled and incarnated. Not strictly a farmer - only 36.5% fire defense, for instance. But very AoE focused, plus general survivability. I'm sure he'll farm fine once he's done. I'm farming with him now, but I understand how much better he'd be with more recharge and hopefully enough survivability to turn everything into reds.

I prefer rad/fire to spines/fire because of the pbaoe vs the cone. Otherwise they are highly comparable. But positioning for the cone is annoying in a group of mobs. They jump around. Them move to your landing zone and push you around and the client thinks you aren't on the ground so you can't cast burn... or you leave the spawn on the ground to get the cone right and your aura is not hitting them.

That said at a very base level pretty much any brute is going to be able to farm. Spend 500mil-1bil on them and I'd be surprised if you can come up with a combo so bad it couldn't run an appropriate farm at +4x8. Now it may not run it *fast* but I can't imagine it can't run it.

I'd tried to build a no-cost-barred ss/fire build to farm with in mids, but I couldn't get past the 10 sec rage crash with high recharge looking ugly. I'm a lazy farmer -- I want to convert to reds only and not monitor def. I did that before mine were kitted out and I don't want to go back.

1 hour ago, Rockfall said:

I prefer rad/fire to spines/fire because of the pbaoe vs the cone. Otherwise they are highly comparable. But positioning for the cone is annoying in a group of mobs. They jump around. Them move to your landing zone and push you around and the client thinks you aren't on the ground so you can't cast burn... or you leave the spawn on the ground to get the cone right and your aura is not hitting them.

That said at a very base level pretty much any brute is going to be able to farm. Spend 500mil-1bil on them and I'd be surprised if you can come up with a combo so bad it couldn't run an appropriate farm at +4x8. Now it may not run it *fast* but I can't imagine it can't run it.

I'd tried to build a no-cost-barred ss/fire build to farm with in mids, but I couldn't get past the 10 sec rage crash with high recharge looking ugly. I'm a lazy farmer -- I want to convert to reds only and not monitor def. I did that before mine were kitted out and I don't want to go back.

This works well for me.  When the -defense hits I may have to use my heal but otherwise no need to monitor defense unless I am doing normal content. 

Hero Plan by Mids' Hero Designer 2.22
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Brute
Primary Power Set: Super Strength
Secondary Power Set: Fiery Aura
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Concealment
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Punch -- SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBrtFur-Dmg/Rchg(31), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), SprBrtFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31), SprBrtFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprBrtFur-Rech/Fury(50)
Level 1: Fire Shield -- Ags-ResDam(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(15), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(19)
Level 2: Blazing Aura -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(21), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(25), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(40)
Level 4: Healing Flames -- Prv-Heal(A), Prv-Heal/EndRdx(5), Prv-EndRdx/Rchg(5), Prv-Absorb%(13), Prv-Heal/Rchg(23), Prv-Heal/Rchg/EndRdx(23)
Level 6: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(7), Rct-Def(7), Rct-ResDam%(19)
Level 8: Knockout Blow -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(11), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(21)
Level 10: Super Jump -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 12: Temperature Protection -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(13)
Level 14: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(15)
Level 16: Plasma Shield -- Ags-ResDam(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(17), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(17)
Level 18: Rage -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 20: Consume -- MckBrt-Taunt(A), MckBrt-Taunt/Rchg(34), MckBrt-Taunt/Rchg/Rng(37), MckBrt-Acc/Rchg(37), MckBrt-Taunt/Rng(37), MckBrt-Rchg(43)
Level 22: Boxing -- Mk'Bit-Dam%(A)
Level 24: Tough -- Ags-ResDam(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(25), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(40)
Level 26: Weave -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A), Rct-Def(27), Rct-Def/EndRdx(27), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(36)
Level 28: Burn -- SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg(A), SprUnrFur-Dmg/Rchg(29), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), SprUnrFur-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SprUnrFur-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SprUnrFur-Rchg/+Regen/+End(48)
Level 30: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)
Level 32: Foot Stomp -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(33), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), Arm-Acc/Rchg(33), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(34), FrcFdb-Rechg%(46)
Level 35: Fiery Embrace -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 38: Electrifying Fences -- SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(A), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(39), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(40), SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(50)
Level 41: Ball Lightning -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(42), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(42), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(43)
Level 44: Mu Lightning -- Apc-Dam%(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(45), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Apc-Acc/Rchg(45), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(46)
Level 47: Grant Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)
Level 49: Invisibility -- LucoftheG-Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Fury 
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(48), Mrc-Rcvry+(48)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Acc(43), PrfShf-EndMod(46)
Level 50: Ageless Core Epiphany 
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve 
Level 0: Portal Jockey 
Level 0: Task Force Commander 
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion 
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon 
------------

21 hours ago, nihilii said:

XP or inf, bosses are worth it. A boss is worth 3 lieuts. In your standard patrolling farm group with 4 bosses, you're getting more XP and inf from the bosses than from all the lieuts + minions combined. Unless it takes you twice longer to complete runs with bosses on, always go bosses.

(Even if it took you twice longer to complete runs, it might still be better with bosses on. You've got a fixed amount of time during which you don't earn XP, going in and out of the mission, picking the next one, buying insps if you roll that way. So a 5 minute map in which you earn 5M inf beats a 3 minute map in which you earn 3M inf.)

Aye, still working on my Rad/Fire brute to get it down to a 5 minute run. I always seem to waste so much time dealing with bosses. I am really trying to handle the packs more efficiently. I can do 4/8 with no issue, but it takes about 9 minutes or so. Admittedly I haven't unlocked all of my incarnates yet. I wager things will speed up slightly once I have degenerative and nifty tools like that along with assault under hybrid. Still, I haven't looked back at my old spines/fire, I just generally like not having to move in order to get the most out of my brute. Almost done with her sets, I have a superior avalanche set to acquire still for atom smasher and that should do it. 

On 7/24/2019 at 5:45 AM, Apparition said:

I farm on my Radiation Melee/Radiation Armor Brute.  It's a beast.  I mostly farm Rikti, but I also do the Comic Con Fire maps just fine.  Farming fire maps is a bit slower than /Fire, but it gets the job done.

Look for toxic farms - there aren't as many but rad/rad has really high toxic resistance so can just hop in, spew out a few DoTs and let things vomit at you until they fall down.

Doctor Fortune  Soulwright Mother Blight Brightwarden Storm Lantern Shadow Self Corona Borealis
Blood Fortunado Dark/Dark Corruptor Rad/Rad Brute Gravity/Time Controller Storm/Water Defender Warshade Dark/Dark Tanker
The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Blueside Guide Easy IO Cheat Sheet 
The Mean Missions Guide: A Villainous Levelling Journey through Story Arcs Redside Guide Fortunatas are the Bestunatas

1 hour ago, Bloodofcaine said:

Aye, still working on my Rad/Fire brute to get it down to a 5 minute run. I always seem to waste so much time dealing with bosses. I am really trying to handle the packs more efficiently. I can do 4/8 with no issue, but it takes about 9 minutes or so. Admittedly I haven't unlocked all of my incarnates yet. I wager things will speed up slightly once I have degenerative and nifty tools like that along with assault under hybrid. Still, I haven't looked back at my old spines/fire, I just generally like not having to move in order to get the most out of my brute. Almost done with her sets, I have a superior avalanche set to acquire still for atom smasher and that should do it. 

I use ball lightning on wandering packs to grab their aggro and the other AoEs to take down the stuff close.  If I am down to 1 or 2 bosses, then I move to the next group and the bosses will follow. Granted there are still some groups that never get close but once fully tricked out (and with macros for combining and using reds) you should be able to get under the 5 min mark regularly at +4x8 with bosses.