Announcing TWO Halloween Costume Contests - October 12th & October 26th!

GM Miss

• Retired Lead Game Master

Hello everyone, we hope you’re enjoying the Halloween Event so far. Today we’re announcing not one, but two Halloween Costume Contests!

Contest 1: City of Heroes & Villains Themed Costumes (October 12th)

Come on out to Kallisti Wharf to celebrate the season - City of Heroween style! Bring your best, funniest, cutest, and most interesting City of Heroes and Villains themed costumes for a chance to win MAJOR prizes! Choose from the hundreds of villain groups or try a shot at one of our signature heroes! Parodies are welcome and encouraged!

Contest 2: Traditional Halloween Costumes (October 26th)

Want to celebrate the season as a vampire, Frankenstien, werewolf, witch, or one of the other many amazing classic Halloween costume themes? Head on down to Kallisti Wharf the weekend before Halloween to celebrate the season and the communities amazing creative spirit! (Hey, ghost is another good one!) See you guys there, we’ll bring the candy! 

When?

• The first contest will take place on October 12th @ 9pm UTC
  • The second contest will take place on October 26th @ 9pm UTC
  • 9pm UTC is:
    • 10pm UK time
    • 5pm Eastern time
    • 2pm Pacific time
    • 11pm Central European time
    • Click here to see 9pm UTC in your timezone

Where?

• Statesman Plaza in the centre of Kallisti Wharf on all five shards (Torchbearer, Excelsior, Reunion, Indomitable and Everlasting)
    • Heroes can reach Kallisti Wharf via the tram
    • Villains can reach Kallisti Wharf via the Smuggler’s Submarine in Sharkhead Isle and Grandville

Prizes?

• The prizes for both contests will be the same
  • The 5 best costumes on each shard will win:
    • 1 permanent costume power
    • A permanent golden title: Halloween Costume Contest Runner-Up
    • 100 reward merits
  • The best costume on each shard will win:
    • 1 permanent costume power
    • A permanent golden title: Halloween Costume Contest Finalist
    • 250 reward merits
  • The single best overall costume will win: 
    • 3 permanent costume powers
    • A permanent golden title: Halloween Costume Contest Winner
    • 1000 reward merits
Edited by CR Miss
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Contact me on Discord (Miss#1337) for a faster response!

Want more information on lore pets?

Want to get involved in our weekly discussions on discord or the forums?

19 hours ago, CR Miss said:

Contest 1: City of Heroes & Villains Themed Costumes (October 12th)

Come on out to Kallisti Wharf to celebrate the season - City of Heroween style! Bring your best, funniest, cutest, and most interesting City of Heroes and Villains themed costumes for a chance to win MAJOR prizes! Choose from the hundreds of villain groups or try a shot at one of our signature heroes! Parodies are welcome and encouraged!

(boldface/underline added for emphasis)

I admit, I'm a bit confused by this one.  Doesn't this violate the new CoC rules on copyrighted characters?  Rather than just "encouraged," it would seem that parodies would be the only acceptable way to enter as one of these characters.  It seems like players are being asked to walk a fine line between creativity and a rules violation, directly in front of the very people who would be required to enforce action on such a violation.

As per CoC:

Additionally, creating copies of signature characters from the City of Heroes lore is not permitted. As with the retail version of the game, these are only to be used by staff. Use of these characters in Architect Entertainment and character backstories is permitted.

On a different note:

18 hours ago, BlastLord said:

There is also a Costume Contest on the 15th of October lead by Chaos United around 6:00 Pm eastern time.

Any theme or other details on this?  If there is a posting somewhere else, can you please link it?  Thanks!

Edited by Blackbird71
  • Like 1

• City Council
3 hours ago, Blackbird71 said:

I admit, I'm a bit confused by this one.  Doesn't this violate the new CoC rules on copyrighted characters?  Rather than just "encouraged," it would seem that parodies would be the only acceptable way to enter as one of these characters.  It seems like players are being asked to walk a fine line between creativity and a rules violation, directly in front of the very people who would be required to enforce action on such a violation.

To clarify: Costumes are fine. Complete copies (names, costumes, powers, descriptions, etc) are not.

6 hours ago, Sakidave said:

Will biography text be used as part of the judging or is it necessary?

Just costumes. It wouldn't be practical for us to judge descriptions as well unfortunately 

Edited by Jimmy
  • Thanks 2

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

What is a "traditional halloween costume"? Are we talking about the basic traditional halloween costumes like ghosts, witches, werewolves, vampires, etc? Or can we do things that are still easily identifiable but not strictly "traditionally" halloween like bugs and unicorns and maids and such?

Edited by @Bun-Everlasting

• City Council
8 hours ago, @Bun-Everlasting said:

What is a "traditional halloween costume"? Are we talking about the basic traditional halloween costumes like ghosts, witches, werewolves, vampires, etc? Or can we do things that are still easily identifiable but not strictly "traditionally" halloween like bugs and unicorns and maids and such?

Anything spooky or scary (and not copyright-infringing!), basically 🙂

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Are you guys judging a CC held on all 5 shards at the same time? And how will the finalist from each shard be judged against one another if they're not able to be seen together? Just curious how this is playing out, and what might be expected from us.

Edited by Cooltastic
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Cooltastic said:

Are you guys judging a CC held on all 5 shards at the same time? And how will the finalist from each shard be judged against one another if they're not able to be seen together? Just curious how this is playing out, and what might be expected from us.

Okay, so there's a fun game where we all pretend that what was said wasn't and then ask questions based on that? 

The answer is, yes, they are conducting the CC across all shards AT THE SAME TIME (explicitly noted in the OP), wrap your mind around that one!  How is that possible?!  Is it magic?! I demand to know naow.

Further, the best costume from each shard will win specific shinies (explicitly noted in the OP).

What is expected from you?  Well, let's not look at the OP or anything, that might give too much away.

Edited by Tahliah
clarity
  • Haha 2

On 10/9/2019 at 8:00 PM, Tahliah said:

Okay, so there's a fun game where we all pretend that what was said wasn't and then ask questions based on that? 

The answer is, yes, they are conducting the CC across all shards AT THE SAME TIME (explicitly noted in the OP), wrap your mind around that one!  How is that possible?!  Is it magic?! I demand to know naow.

Further, the best costume from each shard will win specific shinies (explicitly noted in the OP).

What is expected from you?  Well, let's not look at the OP or anything, that might give too much away.

Thx for the ridiculously rude response.

So here's another question for the OP, are you aware of the current lighting issue in game this month? Is there anyway to possibly turn the sun on in Kallisti during the contests?

I mean, especially for the 2nd CC which will more than likely feature many dark looking characters.

Edited by Cooltastic

4 hours ago, Cooltastic said:

Thx for the ridiculously rude response.

I

They’re not wrong though. It is frustrating reading questions that are are already answered . Not to mention it potentially eats at the limited time these volunteers have to actually address good questions .

The frustration is warranted. 

Your question wasn’t too bad compared to some of the others posted. It was but the straw that probably broke the camels back.

Edited by Gravitus
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2019 at 7:19 PM, Cooltastic said:

So here's another question for the OP, are you aware of the current lighting issue in game this month? Is there anyway to possibly turn the sun on in Kallisti during the contests?

I mean, especially for the 2nd CC which will more than likely feature many dark looking characters.

Not the OP, but . . . um, what?  Your most fantastic of all-time costume won't be recognized as such by COX vets who've been rolling toons since beta?  Duuuude??!!  Chill out.  If your costume is stand-out awesome, you can be standing in the darkest Mot cave and still win. Luckily, the CC is happening . . . where? What is the lighting there?  Gee, let's think . . . .

"I didn't win because it's too dark" = fail.  You can call it OP fail if you like, I'm pretty sure they won't mind.

11 hours ago, Tahliah said:

Not the OP, but . . . um, what?  Your most fantastic of all-time costume won't be recognized as such by COX vets who've been rolling toons since beta?  Duuuude??!!  Chill out.  If your costume is stand-out awesome, you can be standing in the darkest Mot cave and still win. Luckily, the CC is happening . . . where? What is the lighting there?  Gee, let's think . . . .

"I didn't win because it's too dark" = fail.  You can call it OP fail if you like, I'm pretty sure they won't mind.

Well the good news is they did lighten the zone for the event, so it obviously was a legitimate concern.

• Like 1

• Retired Lead Game Master

Hey guys! Please remember to be kind and constructive at all times.

We did lighten the zone to see costumes - and will most likely do the same for the next event. We will most likely do a nighttime / daytime version to give all costumes the best chance at success. Winners have been announced for the first contest - I cant wait to see you guys at the next!

Contact me on Discord (Miss#1337) for a faster response!

Want more information on lore pets?

Want to get involved in our weekly discussions on discord or the forums?

I am going to be away on the 26th, as I'm taking the spouse to Little Shoppe of Horrors in Stratford that day.  Would it be permissible to have someone stand in and be my proxy costume contestant?  What would the official rules be on something like that?  Could someone enter my costume, on my behalf, and dual-box their own costume for themself without being disqualified?

13 hours ago, MetaVileTerror said:

I am going to be away on the 26th, as I'm taking the spouse to Little Shoppe of Horrors in Stratford that day.  Would it be permissible to have someone stand in and be my proxy costume contestant?  What would the official rules be on something like that?  Could someone enter my costume, on my behalf, and dual-box their own costume for themself without being disqualified?

::cough::
https://www.boxoffice-tickets.com/Little-Shop-Of-Horrors/Avon-Theatre?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjqrVzt2g5QIVCI3ICh0ilgadEAAYASAAEgKnyvD_BwE

Ok, thanks for pointing that out.  I went to double check, and you're correct.  The show is on the Sunday.

However, my spouse's friend is having her wedding on the Saturday, so I'm still in a boat of no-chance-to-get-on-Homecoming.  I saw both days blocked out on my calendar, and just forgot which was which.

2 hours ago, MetaVileTerror said:

Ok, thanks for pointing that out.  I went to double check, and you're correct.  The show is on the Sunday.

However, my spouse's friend is having her wedding on the Saturday, so I'm still in a boat of no-chance-to-get-on-Homecoming.  I saw both days blocked out on my calendar, and just forgot which was which.

What a lovely weekend you have planned. I hope you have a marvelous time.