The FAQ doesn't answer my questions

Greg-J

The FAQ assumes you have some idea about what this site/forum is about and I'm just sitting here freaking out that I think I can play CoH again.

Is there a primer somewhere that introduces people to what exactly we're discovering here? Is the entire old game being remade? CoH? CoV? Both? Neither? Can I bring my old accounts or characters over?

I'm so excited I don't know what to do with my hands, but that FAQ needs some serious help.

This is CoH, CoV and Going Rogue at the time of shutdown. Plus, there have been a few extras added. The game wasn't remade, this is from the original binary files, so it looks and plays like it did at shutdown.

There are a few videos on Youtube.

And no, your old accounts/characters are not currently (and as far as I know, never will be) accessible.

2 hours ago, Greg-J said:

The FAQ assumes you have some idea about what this site/forum is about and I'm just sitting here freaking out that I think I can play CoH again.

Is there a primer somewhere that introduces people to what exactly we're discovering here? Is the entire old game being remade? CoH? CoV? Both? Neither? Can I bring my old accounts or characters over?

I'm so excited I don't know what to do with my hands, but that FAQ needs some serious help.

I hate to sound negative, but have you never heard of the concept of "private servers" before?  I suppose not, but that's basically what Homecoming is;  A 3rd party group got a hold of the original game files, (from around the time the game shut down), and setup their own servers for it...

3 hours ago, biostem said:

I hate to sound negative, but have you never heard of the concept of "private servers" before?  I suppose not, but that's basically what Homecoming is;  A 3rd party group got a hold of the original game files, (from around the time the game shut down), and setup their own servers for it...

I've heard of private WoW servers, but never been interested enough to learn about them, no.

I remember reading something about people reverse engineering CoH when it originally shut down but it was just paragon city was explorable, but none of the missions worked or anything like that.

Are you telling me that it's like the full playable experience? Who do I throw my money at?

But seriously, there are a lot of people out there (I personally know several) who LOVED this game and have zero clue that this exists. If I sent them a link to this site they'd be more lost than I am.

8 minutes ago, Greg-J said:

Are you telling me that it's like the full playable experience? Who do I throw my money at?

Yes, it is the full game.  Keep an eye on this section of the forums;  Homecoming is a not-for-profit organization, so they only accept donations at the end of the month to cover server costs and what-not...  Cheers!

6 minutes ago, Greg-J said:

I don't think I've ever been this exciting over a thing in my entire life.

I am a 39 year old man and I am to the fucking moon right now!

Can I host MY OWN server?

Welcome home!

Theoretically, you could host your own server (anyone could with the appropriate knowledge, money, etc).  I am quite happy to play on HC though, as all the hard work's been done for me (including quality of life improvements that I love).  It's free of cost, so you and all your friends can download the launcher and get into the game world very easily.

It's not that hard to level characters on HC, so just jump in and I'm sure a lot of the knowledge you had of the game will come flowing back quickly.  Well, that's been the case for me, at least.  Just don't blindly rely on www.paragonwiki.com - I love that site, and still refer to it, but it hasn't been updated (and will not be) since the game was live/commercial, so some things are not the same (e.g. requirements for the 'Pirate' badge).

Also, don't be afraid to use the help channel in-game - most people are willing to offer their knowledge freely and cheerfully.

I hope you enjoy being in Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria!!

12 hours ago, Lost Ninja said:

You can run a private server on a home desktop PC I'd imagine assuming it's a "gaming" or better system.

Not necessarily a gaming PC, since the server has no need for an advanced GPU (video card). There is no graphical rendering on the server side, just database look-ups and number crunching. Your processor and system memory are much more important than a graphics card.

There is the source code available, or binary files (source code which has been compiled and ready to run). However, there is a third option which makes it MUCH easier to run a server. There is a distribution which runs as a VMWare image (also a Hyper-V image if you prefer).  Using the VMWare image, you can run the server on a modern version of Windows or even Linux!

Here is the link to the download page of the virtual machines.

Good luck!

15 hours ago, Greg-J said:

I've heard of private WoW servers, but never been interested enough to learn about them, no.

I remember reading something about people reverse engineering CoH when it originally shut down but it was just paragon city was explorable, but none of the missions worked or anything like that.

But seriously, there are a lot of people out there (I personally know several) who LOVED this game and have zero clue that this exists. If I sent them a link to this site they'd be more lost than I am.

Set up an account and download the game.

We're waiting for you to join us, let us know if you have any questions.

The wiki link is helpful, it wasn't until I started playing that I realized how much I had forgot!

Changes from live server:

Super Groups are "free" now

"Free" Pay to win vendor

I play solely on Red Side (Torch) which means it's difficult to get groups but I have a ton of low level alts if you need a hand.

You people have seriously have no idea how happy I am right now. I have needed the camaraderie I used to get from CoH for a long time now. After battling depression for the past couple years I'm only just now coming out of it and I know it sounds stupid, but having the opportunity to build friendships outside of work with people who really enjoy the same thing I enjoy has me just so happy right now.

Just seeing how active this community is has me smiling.

It feels good to be back. Any suggestions on which server to join?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Greg-J said:

It feels good to be back. Any suggestions on which server to join?

I fully recommend Excelsior and not just because of the name! It's the busiest server by far and there always seems to be something going on, and let's not forget the 3 Hami raids per night. Mmm, Jell-o.