To Eviscerate or not to Eviscerate?

Crowcus Pocus

To Eviscerate or not to Eviscerate?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. To Eviscerate or not to Eviscerate?

• It's a must-have on most builds
    • I only grab it if I have the spare slots
    • I pick it purely because I love the animation
    • Skip it

I voted "skip" but I would add "I pick it on a farming toon".

I can't argue my "skip" case from a performance perspective, it's just that other Claws animations are so fast I enjoy being a buzzsaw cutting through mobs methodically. I will make an exception for Spin because 360 degrees PBAoEs are awesome, but Eviscerate easily goes to the dustbin despite being a decent power.

• Like 2

I voted skip it. I did so even after determining that the best ST attack chain I can muster on claws is followup, focus, eviscerate, repeat because the scrapper AT IOs turn eviscerate into an absolute monster.

But it's SOOOOO damn STUPID!!!

I begged and pleaded for the old swipe animation to be an alt animation for eviscerate. I'd much rather look like a tweaked out cat on acid clawing away than that backflip idiocy.

Sooo, yea. Skip it. Followup, focus, slash, repeat is good enough.

• Like 1

Good from a numbers perspective, horrible animation that kills the feel.  It's not even the animation TIME that's problematic, simply that it's such a dorky thing.  Alternate animation and it's golden.

Guardian Survivor, occasional tanker and player of most AT's.

Guides: Invulnerability Tankers, The first 20 levels.  Invulnerability Tankers Soft Cap defense

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Falsey said:

Yea, I too feel like the animation ruins the buzzsaw feel of Claws. It's a shame though, because on paper it could do wonderful things.

It would probably speed up your Vet levels farming though, @Bill Z Bubba.

Unsure how when my aoe attack chain is already a pauseless folllowup, spin, shockwave, repeat. With the KB-KD in SW and a chance for KD in spin, I'm groovin along.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nihilii said:

I voted "skip" but I would add "I pick it on a farming toon".

I can't argue my "skip" case from a performance perspective, it's just that other Claws animations are so fast I enjoy being a buzzsaw cutting through mobs methodically. I will make an exception for Spin because 360 degrees PBAoEs are awesome, but Eviscerate easily goes to the dustbin despite being a decent power.

Basically this.

Evis breaks up the quick tempo of the set.  

Back on Live, didn't they change the animation for Eviscerate? I swear it was something different and quicker, and when they changed it I had a couple of toons that used it and wanted to shake my fist angrily at things because I hated what they did to it. I swear it was Eviscerate... I still take it but it doesn't seem to find its way into many attack chains I use. 

It makes a decent set mule for Obliteration.  But as others have said it mainly gets unused because its so ugly and slow even though it can be more effective.  Against an AV I may switch to the FU/Evis/Focus chain but for most everything else I throw in Shockwave (kb to kd) and and Strike out there instead.

18 hours ago, Shockacon said:

Back on Live, didn't they change the animation for Eviscerate? I swear it was something different and quicker, and when they changed it I had a couple of toons that used it and wanted to shake my fist angrily at things because I hated what they did to it. I swear it was Eviscerate... I still take it but it doesn't seem to find its way into many attack chains I use. 

Going purely off memory eviscerate was never changed.

Swipe used to be the cracked out cat against scratching post and slash was the baseball pitch of doom. Strike was always the gut punch.

Then swipe was changed to the quick swipe it is now and slash was given that glorious 1/2 punch that I love so much in EM's barrage.

Again, though... this is purely off memory which has proven to be faulty as of late.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Going purely off memory eviscerate was never changed.

Swipe used to be the cracked out cat against scratching post and slash was the baseball pitch of doom. Strike was always the gut punch.

Then swipe was changed to the quick swipe it is now and slash was given that glorious 1/2 punch that I love so much in EM's barrage.

Again, though... this is purely off memory which has proven to be faulty as of late.

I think you're correct. I only remembered the swipe change because it was such a long animation (even though i liked the flurry of scratches). I forgot slash was changed and used to be that long wind up move. I remember eviscerate being the way it was at launch.

I voted Must have, although I think it is skippable, but I would never recommend skipping it outside of concept reasons.

I like the animation, although I agree it feels a bit off compared to the rest of the set, but I like that it is different from the others, helps it stand out some. That said, I am all for alternate animations and while my Claws/Elec would keep the current animation, I would love the crazy original Swipe animation as an option for some other concepts.

Edited by StratoNexus

Ooohhhhhhhh you're right! Thanks for jogging my memory. It was Swipe that had the different animation. Not sure why I thought it was Eviscerate. Oh well... but I do love me some Slash, be it Stalker or Night Widow Slash... you can almost hear the first slice say "Yer" and the second say "dead!"

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later
On 11/19/2019 at 12:55 PM, Call Me Awesome said:

Good from a numbers perspective, horrible animation that kills the feel.  It's not even the animation TIME that's problematic, simply that it's such a dorky thing.  Alternate animation and it's golden.

It's funny that Eviscerate has never bothered me much, but this is how I feel about a ton of other sets.

There's, like, a "this just kills the set" animation for me in the form of one notable power from pretty much every set.

Animation option increases all around, please.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later
On 11/19/2019 at 10:21 AM, Falsey said:

Yea, I too feel like the animation ruins the buzzsaw feel of Claws. It's a shame though, because on paper it could do wonderful things.

I think it's less the animation and more the speed. If the animation was faster it could keep that 'agile buzzsaw' feel to it. Though I personally love the animation itself, so I might be biased.

Honestly, I think Spin is the worst one, it doesn't really make sense for claws conceptually, I stab the ground and it causes a shockwave? At least with shockwave, you could say you're doing some anime nonsense and projecting your slash by cutting the air, or whatever.

Edited by ScarySai