Supergroup prestige turned back on

I don't know how popular this would be, but i would really enjoy having the earning prestige turned back on. Maybe do it like you guys did the exp buffs. Have it optional or something. It just feels like SGs now and having people in your SG has no value. Plus i find it really hard to build a base with everything unlocked and ready to go. Even if it was just on one server i would be happy to move there.

You only need SG Prestige if costs for SG Bases are greater than zero.

SG Base costs are set to zero ... hence there is no demand/use/need for Prestige anywhere in the game.

"I'm not real good with Cause & Effect.  Why is that?"

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

Cant now as its too late. - X amount of SGs already have max bases. - it would be an outrage to delete them all to start over as you earn!.

i however agree, that it was good before as it gave an incentive for people to really look for SG's.. now there is no point other than just to have a few friends and use it like a glorified friends list.

But, meh. - i dunno, maybe if it were structured that base building was free (like it is now) but other things that are worth will cost SG prestige.. but no idea, not sure if good idea or bad, just saying whats on my mind..

ex:UNION, - ArtOfWar SG! - Ahh Good times!

How about simply put the prestige on keeping the base functional? Keeping the lights on, etc? I can see where the starting over won't work, but maybe throw everyone a lot of prestige, turn on the earning and allow us to watch the free prestige dwindle causing us to learn how to use it. IDK, there's plenty of other things I'd like to see that mostly deal with being able to see what you're clicking on. For example, I have a Really hard time reading the tabs or seeing what I'm clicking on during edit. Also, I can't seem to remember the simple "duplicate item" key(s) that made base building less painful.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Heh ... the SG Base is "free to build" but isn't "free to use" ... as in every time you use a Base service is costs Prestige.

Every time you open the Vault, it costs 10 Prestige.

Every time you use a Teleporter, it costs 10 Prestige.

Every time you open a Storage Rack to interact with it, it costs 10 Prestige.

... you get the idea.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

gawd no

The problem with prestige is that it became a divisive metric.

Smaller SG's were not able to build fun things.

Creative builders were stuck with larger groups because builders don't actually play all that much... they build, and only larger groups had the resources that a creative builder needed.

Prestige created a community of haves and have nots.  Getting rid of it makes everyone truly equal.

This is a game.  It should not feel like a second job.

• Like 4

Further, many SG groups used members as nothing more than Prestige farmers. I'd rather not see a reason for those kinds of groups to pop up again. You also have people like me, these days, who are not much use to an SG. I don't have the time to play regularly. I might spend a few hours on one day and not show up again for several weeks, and can rarely give more than a few minutes notice whether or not I can commit to joining whatever the group may want to do.

I really don't see an upside to returning prestige. People who want to form groups can, people who don't aren't crippled by that decision. Prestige seems more like a mechanic to force people to play a certain way than an enjoyable part of a game.

• Like 2

If you're upset by things being free and want to feel like you earned them, go look up the old prestige costs of things and keep track of your influence earning. Then only add things you'd have earned access to as you go. There's no reason to make the rest of us give up a great qol change.

• Like 1

How is it harder to build a base with everything unlocked? Having all the resources made available is the exact opposite of something being made harder to do.

I think with the fact that this game is not likely to have the same population size as it did before, forming SGs that are big enough to earn the level of prestige needed to build bigger bases would be a constant demand that would hinder all other earned aspects of the game. No thanks.

PQAzhGk.png Make Energy Melee Great Again! Join the discussion.

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png

Back on live, people who loved base building begged for what is available here. I think it's awesome to have that much creative content...not to mention how much easier to do things in bases than it was on live. I am hoping people will post their base codes so folks can take tours!

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

This is a game.  It should not feel like a second job.

This is going in my signature.

lol  Okay. 

It's just the way I've always approached any game, really.

I prefer games that I can set down and come back to without feeling like I've wasted my time.

If it feels too much like I am endlessly grinding at another job, or if I feel like I'm getting nickle and dimed... yah, I tend to walk away.

I don't want to see the City that I loved become like those other games out there.

The City is different for a reason.

It's unfortunate that everyone seemed to ignore the optional part in the post, lol. Sure, if you'd like a switch to turn it on again and have a SG that earns it the original way that doesn't impact others, go for it.

This right here. I don't know how the new devs might go about it but an option would be nice. I honestly don't see it happening right now but it would be nice. I just really enjoyed that about SGs back in the day. Plus i could see where i stack up vs other people in the super group. Hell maybe they come up with whole new reasons to earn it. Not sure what, but something.

As for the being hard to build a base with everything unlocked. I find that hard because i cant narrow down what i want when there's so many things to choose from. But that's probably just me, a blank canvas was never my friend.

I feel like the basic problem with the whole prestige system was the prestige itself, by which I mean yet another alternate currency in the game to keep track of. It would have been a lot less irritating if base upkeep, base items, etc, could have been paid for directly with standard influence/infamy. That would have solved many of the basic issues people had with bases back in the day while also helping to stabilize the inf economy a bit by being an inf sink.

I don't know why the original devs felt like every new system added to the game had to have its own alternative currency to go with it. I can only assume they thought the inf economy was fundamentally broken and new game features needed to be quarantined off from it. But their go-to solution caused more problems than it solved, at least in the case of prestige. And the additional complexity that multiple currency systems brought to the game didn't really add value from the perspective of player experience, IMHO.

Oh well, water under the bridge. I don't know if anything needs changing at this point; having everything be free seems to be working all right. Even so, I would not be strongly opposed to paying a small base upkeep (in inf, not prestige). A base with teleporters is a convenient thing, and the inf economy probably could use a few more inf sinks. Maybe keep all base items free, but just have a monthly inf-based upkeep based on plot size, or number of TP beacons, or something? Just spitballing here. Or just forget it and keep it all free-- that would be fine too.

Just don't bring back the old prestige system, please please please don't do that.

I don't know why the original devs felt like every new system added to the game had to have its own alternative currency to go with it. I can only assume they thought the inf economy was fundamentally broken and new game features needed to be quarantined off from it.

They were likely right about that too, although I'm not sure they felt that way. At some point they added an option to exchange inf for prestige at some rate, I forget what it was, I want to say 10000:1. That change meant my alt only base went from struggling to build teleporters to being able to get everything I wanted, and that was on every server as I had characters and bases on them all. That inf just came from selling enhancements on the market, not playing market games, so I'd say the economy was very broken.

People more or less willfully ignored what was actually being requested and decided that it'd be real cool to essentially talk over the OP to make it known things that aren't actually relevant to the discussion. This sort of thing frustrates me not only because it happened to me on the original forums twice in a row back in the day, but it completely alienates people from ever speaking up. I never posted again there.

It was an innocuous suggestion that fully realized others may not like it and added that it would be fine as an option, even later adding that it's fine if it's too much of a hassle right now.

It's okay, your experience isn't being threatened by this.

• Thanks 1