Charging for Powerlevelling to level 50

Queen Nefertiti

4 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

I offered a valid suggestion. It would be beneficial to everyone if we had an AE channel to help alleviate the clutter in LFG chat. I would love to take all these people off ignore, but until the LFG channel can be freed from the constant request for fire farms, I have no choice but to shut them off with the ignore function.

Why would you want to take them off ignore, anyways?  Aren't they just going to be a bunch of 50 newbs that don't know how to play?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Solarverse said:

I offered a valid suggestion. It would be beneficial to everyone if we had an AE channel to help alleviate the clutter in LFG chat. I would love to take all these people off ignore, but until the LFG channel can be freed from the constant request for fire farms, I have no choice but to shut them off with the ignore function.

Constant??  Come on man that's making mt Everest out of as molehill.  blowing it way out of proportion.  I play ALOT like many hours every evening and on the weekends and I barely see a handful of LFG fire farm chat a week.  in fact there is more SG recruiting spam on the LFG channel than anything else.  starting your own private channel that you can control what is posted is an option for you too.

51 minutes ago, ShardWarrior said:

Yes there are, however if there are people like those commenting in this thread ostracizing and berating them about using the LFG channel to find a farm, what else would you like them to do other than hang out in AE?  Seems to me that is where a select few here would like to relegate them for not playing a way they like.

I personally don't care where they hang out, or if they use LFG. As has been said, people spam that for all kinds of groups. It is what it is for. But walking up to random people and asking for a favor is kind of annoying, if only because of how easy it would be to do for themselves what they are asking me, a total stranger, to do for them. I have not read the entire thread, and don't think people should be jerks about it.

But I sympathize a certain amount with the complaints of people asking for AE farms. If it were a difficult task they needed help with that is a different matter altogether. I have had people send me a tell asking for help doing the mission to unlock their Alpha Slot. Something most people solo without much trouble, but it can be a challenge for certain archetypes. Whatever the case it is WAAAAY more time consuming than sitting in on my farm mission. But I'm happy to do THAT.

My complain it not that people are awful for asking for help levelling, even in a game where it is so easy. If you need help learning how to get food that is one thing. Even when there is food lying all over the ground and growing on trees. I am happy to point to the tree and say, "there food!" But I don't want to chew it for you. Asking for an AE session is a bit like asking someone to baby bird you a GAME. It kind of crosses a line of, how easy do you want things to be?

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

Constant??  Come on man that's making mt Everest out of as molehill.  blowing it way out of proportion.  I play ALOT like many hours every evening and on the weekends and I barely see a handful of LFG fire farm chat a week.  in fact there is more SG recruiting spam on the LFG channel than anything else.  starting your own private channel that you can control what is posted is an option for you too.

I disagree. I never see SG spam on there...like ever. But whatever, agree to disagree and let's move on.

On 1/13/2020 at 7:04 PM, ShardWarrior said:

You do realize how absurdly easy it is to quickly out level and therefore never be sent to the Hollows, right?

Of course it is - you do realise that I can pause PX earning and play every zone at level right? It is especially easy now in this version of the game, in fact one is able to reach lvl 50 in a day and embark on incarnate abilities.

Sooo. Much like i said i spent the morning crafting enhancers converting and selling (58). Then i did a little story arc grinding (i need to hit that harder) and then after my workout i logged onto a languishing 20 to maybe pick up a Synapse.  And immediately saw a post for a free farm. That ran a while and then one of the  being PLd in there offered to do a huge farm. Sooo. Now level 39. I soent another hour spending most of the money i made off enhancers and raiding my base outfitting my new character. Had time to run one mission after respec then hit the sack.  Huge free farms on Everlasting. Not guaranteed but neither is sunshine. And then it happens pretty regularly

i could see this being a valid topic if the playerbase was a lot different. In my opinion it is just a kind of odd discussion based on stuff that is not really either happening or causing issues.  At least not on Everlasting. And i am on that server a LOT

47 minutes ago, Snarky said:

Sooo. Much like i said i spent the morning crafting enhancers converting and selling (58). Then i did a little story arc grinding (i need to hit that harder) and then after my workout i logged onto a languishing 20 to maybe pick up a Synapse.  And immediately saw a post for a free farm. That ran a while and then one of the  being PLd in there offered to do a huge farm. Sooo. Now level 39. I soent another hour spending most of the money i made off enhancers and raiding my base outfitting my new character. Had time to run one mission after respec then hit the sack.  Huge free farms on Everlasting. Not guaranteed but neither is sunshine. And then it happens pretty regularly

i could see this being a valid topic if the playerbase was a lot different. In my opinion it is just a kind of odd discussion based on stuff that is not really either happening or causing issues.  At least not on Everlasting. And i am on that server a LOT

This topic has turned in to nothing but a bait and catch thread full of insults and off topic anyway. The original question was answered long ago. The thread was about one guy, who was charging for PLs. It turned in to everything but that and is now a running joke with a squad of people chuckling and making jokes about the players who don't particularly care for *new* players being PLed, but they have straw manned that comment and turned it into, "anyone who PLs." So I am pretty much done with this thread as its only purpose at this point is to insult people and bait them in to biting when they insult. So I will leave with this being my last comment here in agreement with you...

People charging for PLs is not very common. Most certainly not common enough to be an issue. And if people want to be stupid enough to pay somebody for something they can get for free, then by all means, knock yourself out.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Solarverse said:

And if people want to be stupid enough to pay somebody for something they can get for free, then by all means, knock yourself out.

There's nothing stupid about paying someone for a service.  you're assuming that someone is online offering free pls 24/7.  that isn't the case and some people would rather spend inf to be done quicker rather than waiting around.

2 hours ago, ZacKing said:

There's nothing stupid about paying someone for a service.  you're assuming that someone is online offering free pls 24/7.  that isn't the case and some people would rather spend inf to be done quicker rather than waiting around.

Agreed.  I have two farmers and I have zero problems paying for a PL if I have to.  Inf is stupid easy to make and there are times I can't or don't feel like actually playing, so why not still get an alt leveled up while I watch TV or something?  The time I sit on that farm, I probably made back 10 to 20 times the amount I paid for the farm on the market.  

5 minutes ago, jshmoe1236123 said:

Agreed.  I have two farmers and I have zero problems paying for a PL if I have to.  Inf is stupid easy to make and there are times I can't or don't feel like actually playing, so why not still get an alt leveled up while I watch TV or something?  The time I sit on that farm, I probably made back 10 to 20 times the amount I paid for the farm on the market.  

To me, this makes no sense though. At least, not for someone who has a farmer. If you were morally opposed to farming or something then fine. But if you have one then you can PL your OWN guy. This game can run on a flip phone. Almost any PC not made out of bamboo and coconut shells can run two instances of it. A second account is allowed by the terms of service, withing reasonable limit. (You'll have to look up what those are.)

Any time you spend farming all you need to do is put that farmer in a group with the toon you want to PL. You get the same amount of inf. from the farm run, more in fact since there is a group bonus, and you level a toon. And yet you would spend the inf. that you gain, in large part by farming, to pay someone else to level your guy so you don't have to do it?

Obviously, you and anyone else is free to play or not play the game however you like. And I understand how the beginner content is kind of done to death and was not all that good from the start. I just don't understand the reasoning here.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, quixoteprog said:

To me, this makes no sense though. At least, not for someone who has a farmer. If you were morally opposed to farming or something then fine. But if you have one then you can PL your OWN guy. This game can run on a flip phone. Almost any PC not made out of bamboo and coconut shells can run two instances of it. A second account is allowed by the terms of service, withing reasonable limit. (You'll have to look up what those are.)

Any time you spend farming all you need to do is put that farmer in a group with the toon you want to PL. You get the same amount of inf. from the farm run, more in fact since there is a group bonus, and you level a toon. And yet you would spend the inf. that you gain, in large part by farming, to pay someone else to level your guy so you don't have to do it?

Obviously, you and anyone else is free to play or not play the game however you like. And I understand how the beginner content is kind of done to death and was not all that good from the start. I just don't understand the reasoning here.

I'm not saying I go searching for paying farms, but I don't have a problem with having to pay if the farm set that rule out.  And, really, since the game came back, I think I've paid for two farm RUNS and I've sit on a lot of farms.  But you missed my points of times I don't feel like playing, but if the opportunity was there to get PL'd without having to do it, I'd take it, even if it means paying.  Another instance is I have the ability to work from home and while I can't play and work, but I can sit on a farm and work.  I don't mind paying for that if I have to.  Believe me, I PL myself often with my farmers, but sometimes just sitting there and getting the XP is nice.  If influence was hard to come by, I'd think twice about it.  I mean, I literally give away purp drops and inf almost every time I play.  As in, I broadcast asking someone to guess the number I'm thinking of to win inf.  I literally just pick the first person that responds.  By no means am I trying to tout all the inf I have, but I'm just stressing the point that the inf loss from a paid PL is negligible.  There's a ton of crap in this world people pay for when they can do it for free, but if the value is there, they will do it.  I can serve myself food for free, but going to a restaurant so I don't have to is nice sometimes.

And, in the end, it's all fake money and just a game so it's whatever to me.

On 1/13/2020 at 5:52 PM, Solarverse said:

If I remember correctly, you have stated that you love to knock back enemies on any team you join, even if the team is not sharing your love of Knock Back because you believe that teams should adapt to your playstyle and should not be telling you how to play.

With this logic, what you are actually doing is forcing others to reroute how they play based around your playstyle. So instead of telling others how to play, you are instead forcing others to play differently because of how you want to play. I honestly don't see the difference. You don't like others asking you to play differently, yet you force others to play differently through your playstyle. It's really no different. What I am trying to say is that you are no better than those who request you to play without scattering mobs. Both parties are just as guilty.

This is why my stance (partially due to conversations that you and I have had) has changed a bit on this subject. I think everyone needs to learn to bend a bit on teams so that everyone can play well together. Everyone should adapt, not just you and not just the players who hate knock back. It should never be your way or my way, that is selfish for both parties involved. The team should evolve and instead of things being played 'my way' or 'your way' it should actually evolve and become 'our way.'

This is by no means an accurate math here, but...

50% of players hate knock back with a passion

50% of players love knock back with a passion

100% compromise should more often than not = 100% fun for both sides.

Your memory is faulty and full of accusations that are simply not true.

I do love KB.

I never, ever stay on teams that don't want KB, be it mine or another team members powers.

I take personal responcibility and I simply leave the team.

Anyone that likes or dislikes any power or method of play in the game has that option.

You will simply not find evidence of me staying on a team that does not like or want my powers, because such evidence does not exist.

It became immediately apparent there were too many voices trying to tell others how to play on teams, so after initial runs in the lowbie TFs to get a few levels, I never team.

As you so love to tell others, you have stuff in your head about me that is simply, wholly, not accurate.

As much as you don't want to play with people who enjoy thier playtime in a different way than you do, I don't want to spend mine with people that have such controlling attitudes.

Life is simply too short to have some random gamer tell me how to have fun, or to force my fun on another, so I solo unless I know my playstyle works with ther others on my team, problem solved.

Meanwhile, we are all still subjected to those that claim they are saints int he game, but come here to tell the rest of us we are playing the game wrong, be it from PL, skipping content, or just generally not 'earning' our characters because we are not filled with the right amount of Protestant Work Ethic.

None of this has changed in years and years on MMO forums, it's a really odd dynamic of controlling personalities desperately trying to convince everyone white-washing the same fence again is fun.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 8:01 AM, Snarky said:

New people will not understand the economy be able to afford it or realize how below cost it is.  So in that manner it is a very bad thing.

+1

PLing at that cost is really free or below cost.

Maybes, debatable.

on Everlasting it is a real community vibe where cash is not king

This is great.

------- seriousness below --------

If the community is unable to curb a toxic growing activity, someone will. Those trusted with developing and moderating the game will.

No need to question whether volunteers invested in this project will protect what they've built.

That word 'toxic' will trigger some folks. Why? Do they feel they are doing something wrong?

Globally advertising a paid service.. That's a line in concrete not sand.

If some buddies want to work something out that's not my business. It is less likely to expose players to exploit and as policy, if it not endorsed, it's on the player if the get burned.

50M may not be much to me but it is to some and especially new folks. It's a game, have fun. Stop trying to take advantage of folks desperate to level up.

• Haha 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

55 minutes ago, quixoteprog said:

to pay someone else to level your guy so you don't have to do it?

Yes, that is it essentially.  I think you are overthinking the issue as the answer is quite simple.  Changing the oil in a car is easy, yet people bring it to a quick lube shop and pay someone else to do it for them because either they do not have the time or desire to do it themselves.  Supermarkets around where I live are hiring personal shoppers like mad.  Surely most people can push a cart around the isles and grab the things they need, yet quite a lot of people pay a small fee to have someone do it for them.

3 minutes ago, Troo said:

That word 'toxic' will trigger some folks. Why? Do they feel they are doing something wrong?

I'm not triggered at all. I'm simply capable of understanding that it is YOUR biased opinion that labels the activity "toxic."

I don't find it toxic at all.

4 minutes ago, Troo said:

Globally advertising a paid service.. That's a line in concrete not sand.

Inf is not real money. Fact. Time is not money. Also fact. Get over it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

You can call it toxic a million times it still won't make it true. 

It is true... for him. Probably others as well. But as long as there's folks like us willing to stand up and counter ugly opinions instead of standing idly by while evil does its work, the world still has a chance.

5 minutes ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

It is true... for him. Probably others as well. But as long as there's folks like us willing to stand up and counter ugly opinions instead of standing idly by while evil does its work, the world still has a chance.

giphy.gif

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

1 minute ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

The whole 'toxic' thing IME comes from these things being advertised in chat.

Just turn it off, it's not that hard, just a couple of clicks and boom, suddenly millions of voices are silenced...if the chat box really offends to that degree, you still have options that do not include sanctioning players simply because they enjoy the game for different reasons.

And, finally, we are in a situation now where you can, in fact go make your own server and drag all of the busy-bodies along with you!

I bet if you went out of your way to advertise a 'traditional' COH server that restricted all of these things, people would flock to it, right?

Oh wait, someone did that and guess what? About 300 players moved and from the numbers I was watching, that was about it, so it's obviously not the most popular outlook.

2 minutes ago, Frostbiter said:

Are we appointing people to jobs now or are we appointing ourselves?

Well, we are superheroes, right?  That's kind of our thing?  Appointing ourselves to truth, justice, and yadda yadda yadda?

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

1 minute ago, jubakumbi said:

And, finally, we are in a situation now where you can, in fact go make your own server and drag all of the busy-bodies along with you!

And there's the pretty thing. Want to rip AE and all the evil farmers out of your game? You can do so. Stand up your own gorram CoH shards and have at it.

Oh, is that too hard? Are you not technically capable of such a task? Don't have the funds? Huh. Too bad.

• Like 2